AOW Custom Map Makers’ Resource
Formerly the AOW Custom Map Makers’ Resource Site at MSN communities. Feel free to drop us an e-mail if you have anything to contribute to this section. Articles, short suggestions and additional information to the existing sections are most welcomed. Submission guidelines can be found here.
Section 1: Introduction and Important Reminders
- Map Making – Is it Complicated?
- Important Things to Remember
- Maps and How They Are Rated
- The Readme.txt
Section 2: Editor Matters and How-to’s
- Terrain Types
- Map Validation Awareness
- Locations for Artifacts
- Unit Properties Settings
- Story Enhancing Elements
- Basic Timed Release (Updated August 26, 2002)
- Making Items
- Making Heroes
- Items Libraries
- Heroes Libraries
- Dix’s Terrain Tricks (contributed)
- Finger’s Triggers (Contributed)(Updated May 19, 2002)
Section 3: Commentaries
- Protected By Neutrals (by Fingers, FFBJ and Pocus)
- Cooperative Map Making
- How To Make The AI More Competitive Without ‘Cheating’ [32kb] (An ‘ancient’ thread)
- Level Crash Bug Investigated (updated May 19, 2002)
- Double Heroes On Map Bug Investigated
- Interview with Elquein: Overcoming the Obstacles of Creativity
Section 4: Suggestions and Tips for Map Making
The suggestions in this section are by no means straight foward instructions that one is limited to but, hopefully, it will help spring new ideas for those who have just started dabbling in the editor. As it is said, let there be no limits to the human imagination.
A lot of information gathered within this section would not have been possible if not for the veteran and expert mapmakers who were so willing to share their knowledge, ideas and discoveries with me as well as the rest of the AOW community. A lot of credit goes out to them for making new maps for us to play until AOW2.