Current Version: 5.03.0000 (Updated January 15th, 2023)
Posted on 09/10/21 @ 03:29 PM (updated 01/15/23
AoW Evolved was originally created as an offshoot of the Ziggurat Engine Mod and aims to rebalance all aspects of the game for LAN gameplay, rather than PBEM.
This mod is constantly being play tested by a group of dedicated LAN players, whom may all offer feedback and discuss upcoming changes before they are implemented.
The mod also incorporates many ideas from AoW+/AoWx but has "evolved" to make itself unique from all other mods while striving for absolute multiplayer balance.
To install the mod simply copy the contents of the AoW Evolved folder into your Age of Wonders folder, overwriting the existing files.
It is recommended to make a backup of your Age of Wonders folder if you want to restore the original game or play with multiple mods.
NOTE: This mod was created for English as the game language, other languages will not be updated to reflect changes.
A full changelog can be found here: AoW Evolved Changelog
Key changes include the following:
- Campaign changes from AoW+ have been included. Please refer to AoW+ documentation for the full change list.
- New or edited custom scenarios with a fully new item set have been included and are slowly being expanded upon.
- Gold income has been halved globally; this allows T4 units to be more expensive without hitting the 255 gold limit.
- Unit gold upkeep was changed from 4/6/8/10 to 2/4/6/8. This makes T2/T3/T4 units cost more upkeep than before.
- Unit XP has been reworked and now follows a clearer system with better rewards, which makes promotions more valuable.
- Unit HP now scales infinitely with XP. This is similar to the Champion rank system AoW III implemented.
- Race relations and alignments have been fully reworked; penalties are higher, and relations are harder to improve.
- Morale and terrain have been fully reworked; races now only have disliked and hated terrain.
- All races have been changed to be more themed via medals, stats and abilities. Azracs have higher MV for example.
- All units take 1 turn to install (which is free) and Builder's Guild/Shipyard production times have been cut in half!
- Unit stats can go above 10 (capped at 20) with enough buffs on them. Hero level up stats are capped at 20 instead of 10.
- Leadership now grants +1 ATK / +1 DEF and is default on all leaders. It's also available on select units.
- Leaders & Heroes can now level up to a maximum of level 50, though this requires a lot of effort to achieve.
- Leaders & Heroes have been fully rebalanced, start with more points but gain less points per level up.
- Leaders & Heroes gain more passive XP at lower levels and gain more XP from higher tier units.
- All level up ability costs have been adjusted for the above, it is now harder to quickly stack stats like DEF.
- Spells have been tweaked, receiving buffs, cost adjustments or even a complete rework into a new spell.
- Many unit enchantments have been moved to higher tiers and buffed. Fire Mastery grants Fire Halo now!
- City upgrades are now cheaper and differ per hex size however, they are also slower for larger cities.
- Unit, structure and spell vision has been reduced by 1 hex and replaced with 1 hex of terrain only vision.
- Ranged attacks have been rebalanced or reworked and given specific roles. Marksmanship has been modified as well.
- Sphere nodes now grant a baseline income, even if you don't own any of their spheres. This adds more value to them.
- Addendums to the unit descriptions, foreshadowing the abilities they will receive at silver and gold medals.
- And much, much more!
Join the AoW Discord server to discuss the game and mod packs. You can also sign up to play games with us: AoW Discord
This mod ships with an edited AoWEd.exe and AoWDevEd.exe as well as Ilpack.dpl for the ShowScene crash.
Please use AoWEd.exe to create/edit maps and only use AoWDevEd to check/change units and other resources.
- Warlock - Being the granddaddy of modding and providing some AI fixes.
- And G - Creating AoW+ and making many breakthroughs in hex editing.
- BING XI LAO - Creating Ziggurat Engine Mod and contributing to modding knowledge.
- Inioch Reborn - Building upon AoW+ with AoWx which provided a balance starting point.
- Eli9185, Blackcat & cole.p - LAN game play testers.
- Lord_Athos - Balance contributions and Guild Freezer portrait.
- Laurentius - Unit GFX for Halfling Sheriff and Guild Balloon.
- Lagi - Multiple new / edited unit & structure GFX.
|Author||Comments & Reviews ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )|
Posted on 01/13/22 @ 03:10 AM
(Insert Rating analysis here)
Committed developer to balance. A man who knows this game inside and out to provide a solid live game between players in my sessions. Wouldn't use any other mod!(Eli9185)-LAN Tester
[Edited on 01/13/22 @ 03:11 AM]
|Deep Sea Astral
A highly enjoyable experience. Attempts to address issues with live games being heavily unbalanced in the vanilla version. Does an incredible job of such. An integral part of the community, essentially keeping live games going.
Posted on 10/25/22 @ 09:44 AM
Makes great changes to available units and overall ascethic/theme of the armies and lore.
Draws on many sources of inspiration inc old mods and work.
Easily the best mod for live games available at time of writing, just don't get cocky in auto combat with your leader!
Long live the Cult! Death to the Keepers!
Is this meant to be played with single player campaign missions? I assume so.
Posted on 11/30/22 @ 03:34 PM
I have a problem starting straight from the Leader Creation screen, where the default choice of the leader's race is empty, and if I click on the dropdown button to change it, I have 5 flavors of Human on offer.
[Edited on 11/30/22 @ 03:35 PM]
^ This is a "feature" I seem to have copied over from AoWx. I will look into it and attempt to fix it for the next version.
Posted on 11/30/22 @ 04:58 PM