AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: My Vision For PBEM - Original Campaign PBEM Tourney
« Previous Page  1 ··· 5 6 7 8 9  Next Page »
posted 12-05-08 00:18 AM EDT (US)   
So I have no idea how practical or achievable this is, but I felt like just talking about it since I think it's a cool idea.

I was thinking about how cool it would be if we were to do some sort of PBEM campaign where we went through all the dev-made scenarios that came with the game, in chronological order (so beginning with Blood Isles), with each player assigned to a different race. Each player represents this race throughout the campaign, and joins in on every map that there race is represented on. This means that whoever plays Humans, Elves, Halflings, Goblins, etc, will get a whole bunch of games, while those who play Highmen, Lizards, etc, will play fairly rarely. After each game, races will be given points depending on its outcome - the race with the most points at the end (or whenever everyone calls it quits) would be declared the dominant faction of the Valley of Wonders. Larger maps might be glossed over to save time (i.e. After the Fall, Oracle's Eye) - unless there is a large demand to do those maps. I'll admit that After the Fall would be a lot of fun in this kind of context, but it might just bog things down too much.

Players could even conduct diplomacy outside of games - for example, perhaps the Elves would want to form a consistent alliance with the Halflings, so that they always go into maps with the expectation that they will ally with one another. This could even see factions arise - the Elves, Halflings and Dwarves band together, only to be matched by an alliance of Dark Elves, Orcs and Goblins. However, the treacherous Goblins abandon their masters to join the more promising Human-Azrac coalition. Perhaps rivalries between factions could erupt - the Undead form an alliance with the Dark Elves in game, but refuse to join their faction outside of the game, so the Dark Elves issue a "join or die" ultimatum. Or let it slide. Who knows?

I'm aware that having twelve commited players to do this is unlikely, so we would probably cut out races starting with the least present. Also the scoring system introduced would have to make sure that races are balanced depending on how present they are (perhaps + x points for victory and - x points for defeat? That way races who are in almost every map would have a higher chance at getting more points, but also a higher chance of losing some). Anyway, what do you think? Is it plausible? Or just a pipe dream?
Replies:
posted 01-28-11 07:12 AM EDT (US)     181 / 299  
Hi guys, you can put me on the sub list if you need a spare body.
Cheers
posted 01-28-11 01:24 PM EDT (US)     182 / 299  
I think it is a bit early for another wave of campaign games,
having in mind that games like "After the Fall" and "Reign of
Chaos" are still in the begining. We may mix up the order of
the maps and the progres on them thus spoiling most of the
story . . .

I'm going to play my turns regulary, but I prefer to finish
the ongoing games first and then start the Fourth wave . . .

#7373DE Human #EFB573 Azrac #4AA58C Lizard #9CC6E7 Frostling
#6BB54A Elf #EFE773 Halfling #D6AD8C Dwarf #EFEFDE High Man
#B563BD Dark Elf #F74242 Orc #BD7352 Goblin #947B73 Undead

~ Honeyvale Falls ~ won by PawelS 2011 | ~ Extremism ~ Fourth week 2012
~ Swolterwood ~ NO winner 2012 |
posted 01-28-11 07:34 PM EDT (US)     183 / 299  
Too late, the games have already started!

But I guess there shouldn't be much of a time pressure on new games when the old ones are still being played (especially Reign of Chaos, I suppose After the Fall will take a long time, and will be played during several 'waves' of other maps).

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 01-30-11 05:47 PM EDT (US)     184 / 299  
Btw I thought how to simplify the scoring, and here is the current version of my idea. It's still based on success rate, but to avoid fractional numbers of points the maximum score for each game will be as follows:

2 players: 3
more than 2 players: (number of players - 1) * 2

So the player scores scores will be the following:

2 players: 3/0
3 players: 4/2/0
4 players: 6/4/2/0
6 players: 10/8/6/4/2/0
8 players: 14/12/10/8/6/4/2/0
12 players: 22/20/18/16/14/12/10/8/6/4/2/0

As proposed earlier, in case of an alliance the players will get the average number (for example 5/5/2/0 in case of an alliance of 2 winning a 4-player game). The success rate will be computed as the number of points a player has divided by the maximum number that he* could get.

I'm going to place a score table in the competitions section now (it will take me some time to figure out how to do it right; sorry that I forgot to do it earlier), if nobody objects the above scoring system will be used (if someone objects and we decide to change the system, the table can always be edited).

*I think there aren't any women among us, are they?

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 01-30-11 07:48 PM EDT (US)     185 / 299  
Scoreboard posted here:

http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=15&tn=2658&st=recent&f=15,2658,0,60

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 01-31-11 11:35 AM EDT (US)     186 / 299  
Well done PawelS !
I hope you find time to keep the games tracked and the scoretable updated (would take work off from my back).

-/X\(++)/X\-L.E.D. Frozen Warrior-/X\(++)/X\-
posted 01-31-11 11:48 AM EDT (US)     187 / 299  
I think I can manage it, games don't end every day

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 02-25-11 06:18 PM EDT (US)     188 / 299  
Ok I sent my last Lizardmen turn, can put me onto the sub list and promote someone to lead the Lizardmen.

Seems all the active races are already taken by active players! Doubt I will get a good spot anytime, but oh well.

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings |SM|> #E4ED38 #EBEBEB #CC2D29 #CC29D5
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men |SM|> #DE8EA4 #F09245 #D2BE92 #BDBDE8 #558CDD
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead |SM|> #1DDB38 #83795A #2CAAA4 #AC762A
Colors for AoW1 and AoWSM **A Proud Member of the Unofficial Patch Team!** ~2010 AoWSM PBEM Singles Champion~ http://blog.noblemaster.com/
posted 02-27-11 01:53 PM EDT (US)     189 / 299  
I hope Froster returns anytime soon so we can continue on the Campaign,
because I am checking my mail everyday for 20 days now and I am getting
impatient. It's about time to put some of the active guys like Davespice and
Kanibeos in the Campaign. If people can not play regulary they should't
even start these games . . .

#7373DE Human #EFB573 Azrac #4AA58C Lizard #9CC6E7 Frostling
#6BB54A Elf #EFE773 Halfling #D6AD8C Dwarf #EFEFDE High Man
#B563BD Dark Elf #F74242 Orc #BD7352 Goblin #947B73 Undead

~ Honeyvale Falls ~ won by PawelS 2011 | ~ Extremism ~ Fourth week 2012
~ Swolterwood ~ NO winner 2012 |
posted 02-27-11 01:58 PM EDT (US)     190 / 299  
I'm still eager to play in the campaign. There's a few in front of me on the sub list but looking at the campaign game threads they could use more than one sub

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead
Thank you to TravisII for this great idea!
posted 02-27-11 03:28 PM EDT (US)     191 / 299  
Sure!

And don't forget us other active subs! :P

People should always finish what they start.
posted 02-28-11 06:43 PM EDT (US)     192 / 299  
Ugh. My disc is no longer readable. You can sub me out.

Jim Brannen
Email: branneji@yahoo.ca
Timezone: -5 GMT (New York Time)
posted 03-01-11 09:29 AM EDT (US)     193 / 299  
Ok, thanks for letting us know Froster. For players in the future, we hope that you can inform us here or absence topic if you are unable to play your turns for reason or another, as soon as possible. In case you are subbed out for inactivity without reason, you go to buttom of the list. Froster will not.

Update 1.3.2011

Final Playerlist:
Humans - Oleg123 oleg1996(at)yahoo(dot)com
Azracs - Albaron albaron(dot)aow(at)googlemail(dot)com
Lizardmen - StefanopuloZ deakstefan(at)gmail(dot)com
Frostlings - DaemonVirus DaemonVirus(at)hotmail(dot)com
Elves - PawelS pstrz(at)o2(dot)pl
Halflings - Gandalf the White gandalf_the_mapmaker(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk
Dwarves - TravisII xjecht(at)yahoo(dot)com
Highmen - Slipkyes Slipkyesbass(at)gmail(dot)com
Dark Elves - Deroman ragederoman(at)luukku(dot)com
Orcs - Nosferon rueface(at)abv(dot)bg
Goblins - Enginerd mjschuck(at)fidnet(dot)com
Undead - TuoDrable brechtneyrinck(at)telenet(dot)be

Subtitute List:
Unknown250 unknown(at)unknown(dot)unknown
Dustmote aow(at)do-ta(dot)net
Kanibeos aow(at)own(dot)web(dot)id
Davespice david(dot)honess(at)gmail(dot)com
Froster branneji(at)yahoo(dot)ca
Draco francis(dot)cermak(at)dupageco(dot)org
Thorongil th0r0ngil(at)hotmail(dot)com
CrazySlyHawk emacfallon(at)hotmail(dot)com
Alphonze Dusial56(at)yahoo(dot)com

StefanopuloZ assigend to Lizardmen to replace TravisII who chose to change race.
Due special agreement TravisII is assigned to Dwarves to replace Froster who is unable to play.

Since we got alot of substitutes right now that are eager to play, I will be watching and punishing players for unexplained inactivity alot easier from now on. So stay active or inform us if you can't. From now on there won't be any race changing special agreements eighter, due large number of the subs.

posted 03-01-11 10:07 AM EDT (US)     194 / 299  
I would like to remind aswell new (and old) players about a chance for Campaign diplomacy:
Browse through the old thread posts to find out what has happened in diplomacy and where you stand. The idea of out-game diplomacy is that you might get favour, disfavour or simply increased interest for story driven games. Good example is Keepers: Elves, Dwarves and Halflings, which all started allied in map Reign of Chaos, giving them diplomatic advantage compared to diplomaticly less active Dark Elves, Goblins and Orcs, which all started with unknown relations. If we can include a new aspect to this whole campaign game, where races forge allies, make wars, possibly double-cross or turn on eachother for interesting reasons that hopfully fit to their story, we add much more to this game that there would be without it. Diplomacy is done simply by writing the message/diplomatic action in the colour of your race. You don't have to write reasons for them, but if you want to explain them, it might give us all more interested aspect. For example Dark Elves waging war on Humans on story driven reasons, or Undead eradicating all life? Or maybe Frostlings unificating all tundra? Chances are endless - only your imagination is the limit.

At this stage diplomacy looks like this:
Keepers - Elves, Dwarves and Halflings / protecting Humans
Dark Elves - War on Humans
Diplomatic actions can be made at anytime, but they won't become active until the next wave games.
This game will be exactly what we make it to be.

[This message has been edited by Deroman (edited 03-01-2011 @ 10:09 AM).]

posted 03-01-11 11:05 AM EDT (US)     195 / 299  
Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of diplomacy too (except the Keepers side), perhaps some players don't read this thread regularly so if you want to make an agreement contact them by email (but of course if an agreement is made it should be announced here).

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 03-01-11 11:28 AM EDT (US)     196 / 299  
Thanks Deroman! Seems the timing was just right.

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings |SM|> #E4ED38 #EBEBEB #CC2D29 #CC29D5
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men |SM|> #DE8EA4 #F09245 #D2BE92 #BDBDE8 #558CDD
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead |SM|> #1DDB38 #83795A #2CAAA4 #AC762A
Colors for AoW1 and AoWSM **A Proud Member of the Unofficial Patch Team!** ~2010 AoWSM PBEM Singles Champion~ http://blog.noblemaster.com/
posted 03-01-11 09:41 PM EDT (US)     197 / 299  
For players in the future, we hope that you can inform us here or absence topic if you are unable to play your turns for reason or another, as soon as possible.
I had, actually:
http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=4&tn=749&f=4,,0,365&st=150
lol

Jim Brannen
Email: branneji@yahoo.ca
Timezone: -5 GMT (New York Time)
posted 03-02-11 09:04 AM EDT (US)     198 / 299  
Maybe the players just don't know how (or don't dare) to do it before they see it done? Let's show how it's done PawelS.

Diplomatic Actions:
Dark Elves renews the offer for Surface Elves to reunify under ancient alliance of all Elves. Glorious days of Inioch's court are not forgotten. For their crimes, destruction of Humans from Blessed Continent is inevitable and we hope it does not turn brother against another.

posted 03-03-11 03:08 AM EDT (US)     199 / 299  
Diplomatic action:
The Frostlings desire the power of death. They propose to add the power of their air and cold to that of any races of evil alignment willing.

#7373DE for Humans #6BB54A for Elves #B563BD for Dark Elves
#EFB573 for Azracs #EFE773 for Halflings #F74242 for Orcs
#4AA58C for Lizard Men #D6AD8C for Dwarves #BD7352 for Goblins
#9CC6E7 for Frostlings #EFEFDE for High Men #947B73 for The Undead
posted 03-03-11 12:28 PM EDT (US)     200 / 299  
Diplomatic (lack of) action:
The Elves are happy with their current allies. The Humans are the future of this world, and we should show them how to live in peace instead of attacking them. We're not hostile towards the Dark Elves everywhere, but we will protect Humans as long as they are faithful to us.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 03-05-11 06:12 PM EDT (US)     201 / 299  
Diplomatic actions take place only in new games created, correct? Not ones already running?

posted 03-06-11 08:00 AM EDT (US)     202 / 299  
Yes Travis, that is correct. You can do free diplomacy in ongoing games too, but initial settings for new games are affected only by campaign diplomacy. You can't eighter leave your campaign alliance in ongoing game, only in outside diplomacy. For example if (your) Dwarves won't be doing any diplomatic actions, or are not targeted by diplomatic actions, rest of the campaign you will always be allied with Elves and Halflings, protecting Humans (which I assume, means justification for Keepers to start a war against anyone starting a war against Humans?).

If there is something anyone wishes to ask, not exposing their intentions, feel free to ask by email from ragederoman(at)luukku(dot)com, or pstrz(at)o2(dot)pl.
You can ask things around in here too.

Please note this about campaign diplomacy:
There will be diplomacy outside of games, factions that have formed "solid" alliances outside of game will enter in game as allied by defination. A solid alliance can only be formed and cancelled outside of games, or between games in this case (no backstabbing within scenario if solidly allied). Diplomacy in games is completely free, only solid alliances and solid wars (wars between alliances declared outside of game) will determinate each scenarios diplomatic settings, elsehow everything is set to "not encountered/unknown" (Note: a "solid war" can be solved to peace within ongoing game though).
Now the following I had to think quite a long time before I ended up into this sollution to make the campaign itself more interesting and playerfriendly ("free of choise"). There will be no Cult of Storms nor Keepers unless/until founded. The race that declares a faction risen will get leadership over it (unless another race wishes to compete for the leadership). Possibilities are endless, at best we may have half as many factions as there are players, meaning that a faction can only be founded when it has minimum of 2 races. Please be reasonable though, leading or not leading a faction does not really affect on your success rate (previously presented by PawelS).
Because we have uneven human players for "evil, neutral and good races", there is no stopping for example Orcs to join together and form a faction with Dwarfs and Humans. Sure, it will be one weird faction getting alot of condemn from traditional "evil, neutral and good" sided races, but do they care is up to them. Try to be reasonable and "character going" in this too (meaning if Orcs would choose to form this kind of faction, there should be a really good reason, example threat of another strong faction).
I have done my best to keep it simple, playerfriendly and understandable. Hopefully this system is not too complex for players to understand. Please give suggestions for improvement if it's too complex to follow.

posted 03-06-11 10:24 AM EDT (US)     203 / 299  
Ok, good good. I'll keep my ideas ready, would like to see what others do first.

posted 03-13-11 11:31 AM EDT (US)     204 / 299  
Update 13.3.2011

Final Playerlist:
Undead - Dustmote aow(at)do-ta(dot)net

Subtitute List:
Kanibeos aow(at)own(dot)web(dot)id
TuoDrable brechtneyrinck(at)telenet(dot)be
Alphonze Dusial56(at)yahoo(dot)com

Because TouDrable is unreachable, his position as leader of Undead is submitted to first one on the list.
Welcome, Dustmote, Prince of all Dead !

posted 03-14-11 12:18 PM EDT (US)     205 / 299  
Diplomatic Actions:
Invites Frostlings to Cult of Storms on the condition they declare war against all Humans (campaign game war).

posted 03-14-11 12:21 PM EDT (US)     206 / 299  
Diplomacy on AoW Campaign Game:
There will be no Cult of Storms nor Keepers unless/until founded. The race that declares a faction risen will get leadership over it (unless another race wishes to compete for the leadership). Possibilities are endless, at best we may have half as many factions as there are players, meaning that a faction can only be founded when it has minimum of 2 races...
...here is no stopping for example Orcs to join together and form a faction with Dwarfs and Humans.
Campaign game rules are decided.
Hereby I announce, as the leader of the Elves, that I'm going to form The Keepers alliance. It's open for all good and neutral races.
PawelS forms Keepers alliance on 19.2.2009.
I, Froster, leader of the Dwarven race, would like to pledge my allegiance to The Keepers Alliance.
Froster allies his Dwarves to Keepers on 19.2.2009. PawelS welcomes them in Keepers on 22.2.2009.
Suggests an infinite alliance of ancient bloodtide, past glory and racial honour of all Elves to
eradicate every last Human savage from the Blessed Continent to the Elves of PawelS. Declares War on Humans.
Dark Elves declare war upon Humans on 20.2.2009.
As the speaker and Thain - in - Chief of United Cities, Toadstole Vale and all Halfling communities of Blessed Continent, I would like to ask for being allowed into the Keeper alliance, so that old friendship of Halflings and Elves and other Good races may be mantained, and safety of our citizen be assured. Same shall apply to Dwarven race under Lord Froster, whose people are and shall remain our natural allies.
Halflings under command of Gandalf the White ally to Keepers on 26.2.2009. PawelS welcomes them in on 26.2.2009.
Forms Cult of Storms, alliance open to all whom choose to dedicate ridding the Blessed Continent from humanity and endless warfare.
Deroman forms Cult of Storms alliance on 15.3.2009.
We forgive the Humans all their misdeeds from the past, and we believe that they will mature to live in peace with the other races of the Blessed Continent. The Humans are now officially under protection of the Keepers. They are not a member of our alliance, but we will oppose all who attack them.
PawelS orders Keepers alliance to protect race of Humans on 15.3.2009.

Current Diplomacy:
Keepers - Elves, Dwarves and Halflings / protecting Humans
Cult of Storms - Dark Elves / war on Humans

[This message has been edited by Deroman (edited 03-14-2011 @ 12:21 PM).]

posted 03-14-11 04:14 PM EDT (US)     207 / 299  
We accept your offer Elves of the Dark. Let us together rid the world of the Human blight that has found us.

#7373DE for Humans #6BB54A for Elves #B563BD for Dark Elves
#EFB573 for Azracs #EFE773 for Halflings #F74242 for Orcs
#4AA58C for Lizard Men #D6AD8C for Dwarves #BD7352 for Goblins
#9CC6E7 for Frostlings #EFEFDE for High Men #947B73 for The Undead
posted 03-15-11 11:36 AM EDT (US)     208 / 299  
Diplomatic Actions:
We welcome Frostling lords among the Stormlords !
May the friendship of Elf and Frost last forever.

posted 03-18-11 01:26 PM EDT (US)     209 / 299  
Hey all,

I just got a job and some other confusing things are going on in my life at the moment. So sorry, but I can't take on the role of the Prince of all Dead for now.

Please also take me off the substitute list. I had a lot more free time earlier this year, but March has thrown me for a loop.

Apologies,
-- Dustmote

PBEM addr: aow (at) do-ta (dot) net

[This message has been edited by dustmote (edited 03-18-2011 @ 01:28 PM).]

posted 03-19-11 04:29 PM EDT (US)     210 / 299  
Update 19.3.2011

Final Playerlist:
Undead - Kanibeos aow(at)own(dot)web(dot)id

Subtitute List:
TuoDrable brechtneyrinck(at)telenet(dot)be

Dustmote is removed from Campaign per request.
Welcome, Kanibeos, the Lord of the Flies !

« Previous Page  1 ··· 5 6 7 8 9  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs) » My Vision For PBEM - Original Campaign PBEM Tourney
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames