AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: My Vision For PBEM - Original Campaign PBEM Tourney
« Previous Page  1 ··· 6 7 8 9 10  Next Page »
posted 12-05-08 00:18 AM EDT (US)   
So I have no idea how practical or achievable this is, but I felt like just talking about it since I think it's a cool idea.

I was thinking about how cool it would be if we were to do some sort of PBEM campaign where we went through all the dev-made scenarios that came with the game, in chronological order (so beginning with Blood Isles), with each player assigned to a different race. Each player represents this race throughout the campaign, and joins in on every map that there race is represented on. This means that whoever plays Humans, Elves, Halflings, Goblins, etc, will get a whole bunch of games, while those who play Highmen, Lizards, etc, will play fairly rarely. After each game, races will be given points depending on its outcome - the race with the most points at the end (or whenever everyone calls it quits) would be declared the dominant faction of the Valley of Wonders. Larger maps might be glossed over to save time (i.e. After the Fall, Oracle's Eye) - unless there is a large demand to do those maps. I'll admit that After the Fall would be a lot of fun in this kind of context, but it might just bog things down too much.

Players could even conduct diplomacy outside of games - for example, perhaps the Elves would want to form a consistent alliance with the Halflings, so that they always go into maps with the expectation that they will ally with one another. This could even see factions arise - the Elves, Halflings and Dwarves band together, only to be matched by an alliance of Dark Elves, Orcs and Goblins. However, the treacherous Goblins abandon their masters to join the more promising Human-Azrac coalition. Perhaps rivalries between factions could erupt - the Undead form an alliance with the Dark Elves in game, but refuse to join their faction outside of the game, so the Dark Elves issue a "join or die" ultimatum. Or let it slide. Who knows?

I'm aware that having twelve commited players to do this is unlikely, so we would probably cut out races starting with the least present. Also the scoring system introduced would have to make sure that races are balanced depending on how present they are (perhaps + x points for victory and - x points for defeat? That way races who are in almost every map would have a higher chance at getting more points, but also a higher chance of losing some). Anyway, what do you think? Is it plausible? Or just a pipe dream?
Replies:
posted 03-19-11 05:35 PM EDT (US)     211 / 299  
All shall join the dominion of the dead!

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead
Thank you to TravisII for this great idea!

[This message has been edited by Kanibeos (edited 03-19-2011 @ 05:36 PM).]

posted 03-20-11 00:36 AM EDT (US)     212 / 299  
New Lizardmen leadership acknowledged! The throne is mine now. All Lizards are celebrating this glorious moment!

People should always finish what they start.
posted 04-14-11 03:34 AM EDT (US)     213 / 299  
Long ago when the world was young... Frostlings, Halflings, and Goblins were not all that different from one another. They all lived in peace with one another, with many villages where all three races lived together in peace. All three races looked quite alike... but over time they began to change. In time, the Frostlings began to move to colder climates, Goblins were forced underground by the arrival of the Keepers and their minds were poisoned by evil suggestions against the races of light, and the Halflings enjoyed the extra foods brought about by the leaving of the other races...

After careful consideration, we Frostlings would like to extend invitations to the Halflings and the Goblins to join together alongside us as the Trine Alliance.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Dark Elves have shown us their peaceful intentions toward we Frostlings so we would like to maintain our current choice of alliance with them, though let it be known that we are no longer a part of the Cult of Storms and we are declaring a war against the Undead as they have shown themselves to be weak and we desire the power of their cold and death.

What would people think of creating more maps or using some of the better created maps to extend this campaign further? I have a few ideas for maps I'd like to create and/or maps to play already created which would be a blast to play as part of this campaign.

(Maybe a stupid idea... but just a thought>)

#7373DE for Humans #6BB54A for Elves #B563BD for Dark Elves
#EFB573 for Azracs #EFE773 for Halflings #F74242 for Orcs
#4AA58C for Lizard Men #D6AD8C for Dwarves #BD7352 for Goblins
#9CC6E7 for Frostlings #EFEFDE for High Men #947B73 for The Undead

[This message has been edited by DaemonVirus (edited 04-14-2011 @ 03:34 AM).]

posted 04-14-11 04:42 AM EDT (US)     214 / 299  
I think either maps already or created ones would be fine. I've seen some that try to integrate into the AoW1 story. Maps that would give more of a role to races who don't have one...

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings |SM|> #E4ED38 #EBEBEB #CC2D29 #CC29D5
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men |SM|> #DE8EA4 #F09245 #D2BE92 #BDBDE8 #558CDD
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead |SM|> #1DDB38 #83795A #2CAAA4 #AC762A
Colors for AoW1 and AoWSM **A Proud Member of the Unofficial Patch Team!** ~2010 AoWSM PBEM Singles Champion~ http://blog.noblemaster.com/
posted 04-14-11 07:00 AM EDT (US)     215 / 299  
Diplomatic actions:
We understand that Frostlings need to follow their own path and accept their depart from Cult of Storms. We will aswell stay allied with them if they choose keep their war against Humans. If not, there will be no reason why Dark Elves and Frostlings should be friends...

so if I got it right this far,

Current Diplomacy:
Keepers - Elves, Dwarves and Halflings / protecting Humans
Cult of Storms - Dark Elves / war on Humans / allied with Frostlings
Frostlings - Allied with Dark Elves / war on Undead / war on Humans

And no, I don't think we will add any more developer-made or user-made maps in the campaign. There are still many maps to go
and of course you can always play custom games at the same time campaign is progressing. Any other opinions?

-/X\(++)/X\-L.E.D. Frozen Warrior-/X\(++)/X\-

[This message has been edited by Deroman (edited 04-14-2011 @ 07:11 AM).]

posted 04-14-11 07:15 AM EDT (US)     216 / 299  
I think we can use edited versions of some of the campaign maps, there are multiplayer versions of two maps made by QuestionC:

Serpent River
Valley of Wonders

I think we can adapt some more campaign maps, especially featuring the races that are less represented in the standard maps.

But for now we still have 15 maps to play (according to my notes). The next wave should be Icedale, Diplomacy with Dragons, and Reedfin Canal. I think we should start it when Reign of Chaos, Mine All Mine and Heartwood Forest are finished (After the Fall and Circles will probably take more time, and can be played simultaneously with the next wave).

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.

[This message has been edited by PawelS (edited 04-14-2011 @ 07:16 AM).]

posted 04-17-11 05:42 PM EDT (US)     217 / 299  
You are correct about the diplomacy now... though we may be persuaded to help the Humans if given a good enough proposition...

#7373DE for Humans #6BB54A for Elves #B563BD for Dark Elves
#EFB573 for Azracs #EFE773 for Halflings #F74242 for Orcs
#4AA58C for Lizard Men #D6AD8C for Dwarves #BD7352 for Goblins
#9CC6E7 for Frostlings #EFEFDE for High Men #947B73 for The Undead
posted 04-27-11 02:09 PM EDT (US)     218 / 299  
Diplomatic Actions:
Invites Orcs to Cult of Storms on the condition they declare war against all Humans (campaign game war).

posted 04-27-11 03:54 PM EDT (US)     219 / 299  
Oh while I'm thinking about it, Deroman, for future games please change my email to travis at noblemaster dot com

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings |SM|> #E4ED38 #EBEBEB #CC2D29 #CC29D5
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men |SM|> #DE8EA4 #F09245 #D2BE92 #BDBDE8 #558CDD
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead |SM|> #1DDB38 #83795A #2CAAA4 #AC762A
Colors for AoW1 and AoWSM **A Proud Member of the Unofficial Patch Team!** ~2010 AoWSM PBEM Singles Champion~ http://blog.noblemaster.com/
posted 07-17-11 02:34 PM EDT (US)     220 / 299  
Daemon has not been around for long time, I'm afraid we'll need someone else to step in and play as Frostlings.
posted 07-17-11 03:15 PM EDT (US)     221 / 299  
I think we should ask Dave, he is the most active from the substitute list...

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 07-18-11 07:49 AM EDT (US)     222 / 299  
Oh yes, I had forgotten all about situation of DaemonVirus...

Although he has been delicated player and already be 2nd player to be substitued for Frostlings, we can't stall the Campaign game for him. Davespice is next one on the substitute list so he is invited to step in as Frostlings, if he wishes to receive such honour.

Since nothing is heard from Froster, Draco nor Thorongil, DaemonVirus will be put on top of substitute list.

I will update the playerlist when/if Davespice confirms.

posted 07-29-11 06:59 AM EDT (US)     223 / 299  
Email sent to Davespice.

posted 07-29-11 07:36 AM EDT (US)     224 / 299  
Count me in.
posted 07-29-11 03:09 PM EDT (US)     225 / 299  
@ PawelS/Deroman: Concerning the campaign diplomacy - can a race belong to two alliances simultaneously?
posted 07-29-11 06:01 PM EDT (US)     226 / 299  
Hmm... Deroman, what say you?

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 07-31-11 11:01 AM EDT (US)     227 / 299  
Pawel is now taking over the responsibility of the substitutes and playerlist. I think he will give update here once he can, but you are counted in anyhow Davespice. You are now in charge of Frostling race, with their wars, diplomatics and alliances. The current Campaign Game diplomatics are as follows:

Current Diplomacy:
Keepers - Elves, Dwarves and Halflings / protecting Humans
Cult of Storms - Dark Elves / war on Humans / allied with Frostlings
Frostlings - Allied with Dark Elves / war on Undead / war on Humans

You are free to make any diplomatics you like, but until/if you do any changes the old diplmatics are valid. I think you will catch up pretty quick.

Diplomatic actions:
King Meandor of all Elves sends his regrets over the passing of his closest ally in fine Frostling race. Cult of Storms have high hopes for new leadership to continue prosperity and struggle for peaceful Blessed Continent along with Dark Elves. Frostlings are re-invited to join the Cult of Storms and obtain their rightful titles as Stormlords fighting against the scourge of Human kind.

@ Gandalf, I think belonging to multiple factions might make the diplomatics conflict and give huge advantage for diplomaticly active players compared to diplomaticly passive players. That is naturally everyones own choise, but I have my doubts here. If you think that you can convince me otherwise, please try!
What say you, Pawel? As always, your word weights as much as mine.

posted 07-31-11 04:16 PM EDT (US)     228 / 299  
I think it shouldn't be allowed to be a part of two big alliances (although we have only one for now), but one big alliance and one bilateral treaty is fine. So you can be a part of the Keepers and have an alliance with another race.

I'll post an update about the substitute list later.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 08-01-11 04:09 AM EDT (US)     229 / 299  
Diplomatic Action

The United Shires welcome the new leader of the Frost Kin! We hope that under his wise government, the friendship of our races will continue. To achieve this, we suggest to our allies that the Keepers should offer to extend their protection on Frostlings on condition they dissolve their alliance with the Dark Elves, so that this free and proud race is not enslaved by the forces of Darkness.
posted 08-05-11 07:38 PM EDT (US)     230 / 299  
Here's my update about the player and substitute lists:

1. People that are currently in the substitute list seem to be inactive, so I'm going to discard the current list and start a new one from scratch.

2. The current player and substitute lists will be placed in the scoreboard post.

3. If you want to be placed on the substitute list, you can apply in this thread.

4. The rules of maintaining the substitute list will be as follows:

• New players will be added at the bottom of the list.
  • When a substitute is needed, it will be offered to the player at the top of the list. In case of a refusal, but without intention to be removed from the list, that player will be placed at the bottom of the list, and the next player will get the offer.
  • Players who are inactive in the PBEM community for more than one month without notice in the news thread, or those who leave the community permanently with a notice, will be removed from the list.
  • Anyone can be removed from the list by request.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
  • posted 09-11-11 05:32 PM EDT (US)     231 / 299  
    So nobody wants to be on the substitute list?

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
    posted 09-13-11 11:06 AM EDT (US)     232 / 299  
    So nobody wants to do diplomacy? It is understandable that not all of you are interested in character/race story driven gaming, but think of it this way: I dare to claim that in Age of Wonders 1 number of allied races have superiority to multiple single races. Expect for Keepers it has been disappointingly silent here and the results show. I don't mean that you have to ally with Dark Elves, but doing something to break the power of the one strong alliance situation with atleast somekind of competition would make alot more interesting campaign.

posted 09-13-11 04:16 PM EDT (US)     233 / 299  
    Well Campaign games are a bit stuck right now. I think diplomatic
    actions should be somehow linked to the events that take place in
    the games that currently run. I would love to be part of some unusual
    aliance, but I won't take any action unless something in the games
    sujests it...

#7373DE Human #EFB573 Azrac #4AA58C Lizard #9CC6E7 Frostling
    #6BB54A Elf #EFE773 Halfling #D6AD8C Dwarf #EFEFDE High Man
    #B563BD Dark Elf #F74242 Orc #BD7352 Goblin #947B73 Undead

~ Honeyvale Falls ~ won by PawelS 2011 | ~ Extremism ~ Fourth week 2012
    ~ Swolterwood ~ NO winner 2012 |
    posted 09-13-11 10:02 PM EDT (US)     234 / 299  
    If I was still Lizardmen, I would have had a Diplomatic Action to make. But as Dwarves, I'm pretty much sealed at the moment.

posted 09-14-11 07:54 AM EDT (US)     235 / 299  
    That sounds good and reasonable Nosferon, but you don't have to wait and hope something extraordinary to happen in the Campaign games, you can make some extraordinary choises yourself. If everyone just waits and sees, nothing will ever happen. I would be very interested to see unique or unusual alliances aswell, that's why I have tried my best to ally with Pawel's Elves. As for Dwarves or Keepers, nothing is sealed. Dwarves can always follow their own passion, break off and join to protect their Undead friends... (just a radical example here)
    Actually, someone forming a unique alliance might be a spark to the flame - meaning that once for example Dwarves and Undead join together, Elves and Halflings would have to rethink their own options aswell.

I think this is unique chance for players and fans of this game to make their own kind of Campaign, not just rerun of the one that you can play as single player.
    I'd like to believe that this was the main thought behind Unkowns original idea too.

[This message has been edited by Deroman (edited 09-14-2011 @ 08:00 AM).]

posted 09-14-11 05:24 PM EDT (US)     236 / 299  
    Diplomatic Actions only affect new games created, right? If so, I might come up with some dramatic ideas soon.

posted 09-14-11 07:08 PM EDT (US)     237 / 299  
    Btw, what happened with the "Circles" map?

#7373DE Human #EFB573 Azrac #4AA58C Lizard #9CC6E7 Frostling
    #6BB54A Elf #EFE773 Halfling #D6AD8C Dwarf #EFEFDE High Man
    #B563BD Dark Elf #F74242 Orc #BD7352 Goblin #947B73 Undead

~ Honeyvale Falls ~ won by PawelS 2011 | ~ Extremism ~ Fourth week 2012
    ~ Swolterwood ~ NO winner 2012 |
    posted 09-15-11 10:35 AM EDT (US)     238 / 299  
    The Circles map will be relaunched once Reign of Chaos or Heartwood Forest is finished or getting close to be finished, Nosferon.

And you are correct Travis, diplomatic actions come into play for new games that are launched, not affect the ones which are going on. I hope you do understand too that you don't have to do anything if you don't want to. I did not mean to bring down Keepers alliance here, I just used provocative and strong verbalistics to wake players up for the challenge and endless possibilities of diplomacy. I hope no one took my intended message in a bad way.

posted 09-16-11 06:19 PM EDT (US)     239 / 299  
    Weird, I posted last night but no message is here.

Anyways, yes I know I don't have to do it, but I'd like to. I will gather my thoughts and come up with something soon.

posted 09-27-11 07:48 AM EDT (US)     240 / 299  
    I sent an email to Enginerd, according to the turn logs he holds the turn in all 3 games.

Also, as a reminder, if you're not in the campaign, you can sign up as a substitute. To view the current player list, check the After the Fall opening post (I'll add the player and substitute lists to the scoreboard post too).

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
    « Previous Page  1 ··· 6 7 8 9 10  Next Page »
    Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs) » My Vision For PBEM - Original Campaign PBEM Tourney
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames