You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Timelord

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.67 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » 1.4 Mapmaking Competition!
Bottom
Topic Subject:1.4 Mapmaking Competition!
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Magog
posted 11-24-05 02:02 PM EDT (US)         
it's...

The 1.4 Mapmaking Competition!!

Once again it's time...
...for all the mapmakers in the world to compete head to head in a breathtaking battle! You now have the chance to show off your wicked mapmaking skills and be greatly rewarded for it. I'm not talking about the usual fame and glory all great mapmakers recieve, but also some real life physical prizes! Read the info below, and you're on your way to become the next mapmaking champion!

Making your map

The map has to be made with the Shadow Magic editor, patched to 1.4.
You are not allowed to use any other kinds of modding tools to edit the map.

The map has to be made from the template map downloadable from here. It has a pre-designed area (shown with AI blocks where it begins and ends). This template map has a few rules about it :

You may NOT alter the pre-designed area of the map, with the following exceptions:

* You may remove or add AI-blocks as much as you like.
* You may add units and items.
* You may use events of any kind that trigger within the area, including "Change Terrain".

As for the map settings, they are totally up to you to alter in any way. You can add as many players, levels, portraits etc as you like. But there is one thing to keep in mind : The map should be made for Single player. Even if the map is playable with several wizards, the judges will only play it with one of them. And the map must be in English.

Judging

Judges are :

Magog
Swolte
Horza666
Timelord
The _Stranger

I will be the only one who knows the author of the maps. The other judges will be playing the maps unaware of its creator.

Each judge will play each map once and look at it in the editor. He will then use the following system to hand out points :

The map he thinks is most fun to play will get 100 points. All other maps will then be given points compared to that map. A map only half as fun for example, will get 50 points. The points from all judges will be added together, and the map with the highest points win. If two or more maps recieve the same amount of points and have to be separated to get three winners, I will decide who wins.

Judges will look specifically at : Graphics, story and use of the pre-designed area.
We will not be very hard on spelling or grammar, since we want everyone to have a fair chance.
But do remember, your map will mainly be judged on overall fun and playability.

Prizes

The authors of the three best maps will recieve a Computer game provided by Triumph Studios!
Rumor has it that Lennart is going to pickup some new strategy games for the winners!

When and how to participate
You need to be registered at HeavenGames to participate. Your nick here will be the name you use for this competition. The competition will end at January 8th 23:59 GMT. By then, you must have submitted your map to : magog@heavengames.com. If you are one of the winners, the same E-mail as you sent the map from will be used to contact you. DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR MAP TO THE DOWNLOADS SECTION UNTIL THE JUDGING IS OVER! I will let everyone know when that is. Also, DO NOT PASSWORD PROTECT YOUR MAP!

So, download the template and begin!

And Good Luck!

FAQ

What's the pre-designed area about? Do I have to use it? What will happen if I don't use it? Can I change it?
You don't have to use it, but the judges will probably give you a few bonus points if this area is used in a clever way. You can't change the terrain in that area by using the editor. However, you are allowed to use events (like change terrain) to alter the area.

How many maps can I make?
You can only enter the competition with one map.

Am I allowed to use the Standard Editor Mod (SEM)?
No.

I'm not that good at english, is it ok if a friend helps me with signs, messages etc?
Yes.

Can I have multiple languages in signs, messages etc?
As long as one of them is english, yes.

What name should the .ahm file have?
Any name you like.

Do i have to zip the file before sending it?
No.

Should we really write our names in the map info?
Yes, I'll remove your name before sending it out to the other judges.

[This message has been edited by Magog (edited 12-21-2005 @ 11:22 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Timelord
HG Cherub
posted 01-20-06 06:34 AM EDT (US)     51 / 67       
Sometimes, even the map names are a giveaway, I think.
What we should do is - after sending the ratings to Magog, hold a competition (just before announcement of the winner)among the judges to see if they can guess the mapmaker correctly!
Swolte
AOWH/AOW2H Seraph
posted 01-20-06 11:23 AM EDT (US)     52 / 67       
Magog, any deadline for us, judges?

I know the mapmakers of two of the maps for sure!

Still playing when I have some time. Some maps are soo packed that it takes time to get a good impression. Not to mention its fun.

It is impossible to play all 4 maps from beginning to the end, I think (unless you do have a holiday) but I think I have a good impression already. All four maps are different and together should warrent several weeks/months of high quality playing.

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 01-20-2006 @ 11:24 AM).]

Magog
posted 01-22-06 12:54 PM EDT (US)     53 / 67       
There's no deadline, but the sooner you mail me the scores the better.

It seems you have played the maps more than enough already.

Alex Mars
posted 01-22-06 02:08 PM EDT (US)     54 / 67       
So, how about something really different, like an AoW1 map map making contest?
The_Stranger
posted 01-22-06 02:24 PM EDT (US)     55 / 67       
What about a contest involving stories about the AoW world...? That is, writing 'em....

P.S. I've written all my evaluations, but want to do a little more playing before giving out the scores. I'm having a tough time deciding. In particular, I'm not sure how to give points when some of the maps have event issues but are clearly very good. A little more play testing would have solved these problems, but we had a short deadline...

[This message has been edited by The_Stranger (edited 01-22-2006 @ 05:48 PM).]

The Groll
posted 01-23-06 05:21 PM EDT (US)     56 / 67       
Hi Stanger!

Quote:

A little more play testing would have solved these problems, but we had a short deadline...

Yes, in fact I had no time to playtest my map, before I gave it to Magog.
I found some ugly errors in my map.
If the competition ended in February, these errors where corrected and the map would be better as it is now.
But it isīn February is was 8.January and it is needless to cry now.
But it makes me sad nevertheless, because I love perfect maps and donīt want to give away maps that are not perfect.
Iīm still working on the map since the competition is over and I will be happy if you judges send us mapmakers some of the errors you found in the maps.
I think most of them are now corrected, but I will be happy if you send me the errors you found in my map.
Swolte told us some days ago that he is collecting the errors that he have found.

Timelord

Quote:

What we should do is - after sending the ratings to Magog, hold a competition (just before announcement of the winner)among the judges to see if they can guess the mapmaker correctly!

Very nice Idea

AoWSM Maps: 1. Marlenes Welt 2. Marlenes Schatten 3. Marlenes Gnade
Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
11. AoW I Sound Set for AoWSM 12. Gentleman Rules Set
Need Help? The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe
Proud member of the Upatch 1.4 & 1.5 Team
The_Stranger
posted 01-26-06 02:06 PM EDT (US)     57 / 67       
Hello Mr. Groll,

I'm looking forward to seeing the next version of your map

I've also sent my evaluations and scores in. Congratulations to all of you map makers. Each map was fun to play and got played for pleasure as well as for the purposes of this contest by me.

Regards,

BJ

Chat Noir
posted 01-27-06 08:12 PM EDT (US)     58 / 67       

Any idea when the results will be out?

And even though I have a "favorite winner" alreay, given the small number of submissions: may I suggest that each contestant gets the first price? (JoshW, are you listening?)

Swolte
AOWH/AOW2H Seraph
posted 01-27-06 11:56 PM EDT (US)     59 / 67       
Well, looking at the quality of all 4 maps...

I hope to send my stuff the weekend.

My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 01-28-2006 @ 01:17 AM).]

Timelord
HG Cherub
posted 01-29-06 05:41 AM EDT (US)     60 / 67       
I will be sending in my comments and scores tomorrow, Magog!

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
My Dragon Age development blog
Magog
posted 01-29-06 07:00 AM EDT (US)     61 / 67       
Great! This competition will be over tomorrow then, as I will have recieved scores from everyone except Horza (who seem to have vanished).
Swolte
AOWH/AOW2H Seraph
posted 01-29-06 11:27 PM EDT (US)     62 / 67       
I have sent my stuff and it was tough!

I did end up with 2 maps that both had areas of brilliance. Unfortunately, they had it in different ways, which really made it comparing apples and pears. It was soo close that one day I would thought of giving this map the full 100 points and then the other.

Some day you feel more like an apple then a pear...

Oh well, I am very curious as to what map will win! But... I am even more excited about the prospect of people playing these maps and reading their opinions on them.

Timelord
HG Cherub
posted 01-31-06 05:37 AM EDT (US)     63 / 67       
I too have (finally!) sent in my scores and reviews. All the maps were good but one map (for me!) stood out over the others in almost all aspects. One other map had really inspirational use of terrain tiles...unfortunately, it lacked a bit in other areas. It was a hard time deciding between the top two for me.

*sits back and waits to see who will emerge the winner*

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
My Dragon Age development blog
Magog
posted 01-31-06 03:17 PM EDT (US)     64 / 67       
I will announce the final results tomorrow.
The Groll
posted 01-31-06 03:39 PM EDT (US)     65 / 67       
Ah Tomorrow!

Waiting ends! Canīt wait until tomorrow...

-What about Timlords idea for the judges to find out who the Mapmakers are?

-What about Horza? Did he send results to you?

-Will you show us who of the judges rates how?
A detailed resulting?

Ah... canīt wait anymore...
Tomorrow...
In Sweden itīs tomorrow in 2 hours, 21 minutes and 5,4,3,2,1 seconds.
Ah... now again a whole minute is gone. Fantastic!!

AoWSM Maps: 1. Marlenes Welt 2. Marlenes Schatten 3. Marlenes Gnade
Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
11. AoW I Sound Set for AoWSM 12. Gentleman Rules Set
Need Help? The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe
Proud member of the Upatch 1.4 & 1.5 Team
Magog
posted 01-31-06 04:04 PM EDT (US)     66 / 67       

Quote:

-What about Timlords idea for the judges to find out who the Mapmakers are?

Yes, there has been some guessing and no one has been 100% correct so far. Which is not very surprising...

Quote:

-What about Horza? Did he send results to you?

No. I haven't seen or heard from him in months.

Quote:

-Will you show us who of the judges rates how?
A detailed resulting?

Yes, with comments and everything.

Quote:

In Sweden itīs tomorrow in 2 hours, 21 minutes and 5,4,3,2,1 seconds.

*goes to bed*
The_Stranger
posted 01-31-06 10:24 PM EDT (US)     67 / 67       
hehe...I guess my guessing wasn't so hot
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames