You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Timelord

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.67 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » 1.4 Mapmaking Competition!
Bottom
Topic Subject:1.4 Mapmaking Competition!
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Magog
posted 11-24-05 02:02 PM EDT (US)         
it's...

The 1.4 Mapmaking Competition!!

Once again it's time...
...for all the mapmakers in the world to compete head to head in a breathtaking battle! You now have the chance to show off your wicked mapmaking skills and be greatly rewarded for it. I'm not talking about the usual fame and glory all great mapmakers recieve, but also some real life physical prizes! Read the info below, and you're on your way to become the next mapmaking champion!

Making your map

The map has to be made with the Shadow Magic editor, patched to 1.4.
You are not allowed to use any other kinds of modding tools to edit the map.

The map has to be made from the template map downloadable from here. It has a pre-designed area (shown with AI blocks where it begins and ends). This template map has a few rules about it :

You may NOT alter the pre-designed area of the map, with the following exceptions:

* You may remove or add AI-blocks as much as you like.
* You may add units and items.
* You may use events of any kind that trigger within the area, including "Change Terrain".

As for the map settings, they are totally up to you to alter in any way. You can add as many players, levels, portraits etc as you like. But there is one thing to keep in mind : The map should be made for Single player. Even if the map is playable with several wizards, the judges will only play it with one of them. And the map must be in English.

Judging

Judges are :

Magog
Swolte
Horza666
Timelord
The _Stranger

I will be the only one who knows the author of the maps. The other judges will be playing the maps unaware of its creator.

Each judge will play each map once and look at it in the editor. He will then use the following system to hand out points :

The map he thinks is most fun to play will get 100 points. All other maps will then be given points compared to that map. A map only half as fun for example, will get 50 points. The points from all judges will be added together, and the map with the highest points win. If two or more maps recieve the same amount of points and have to be separated to get three winners, I will decide who wins.

Judges will look specifically at : Graphics, story and use of the pre-designed area.
We will not be very hard on spelling or grammar, since we want everyone to have a fair chance.
But do remember, your map will mainly be judged on overall fun and playability.

Prizes

The authors of the three best maps will recieve a Computer game provided by Triumph Studios!
Rumor has it that Lennart is going to pickup some new strategy games for the winners!

When and how to participate
You need to be registered at HeavenGames to participate. Your nick here will be the name you use for this competition. The competition will end at January 8th 23:59 GMT. By then, you must have submitted your map to : magog@heavengames.com. If you are one of the winners, the same E-mail as you sent the map from will be used to contact you. DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR MAP TO THE DOWNLOADS SECTION UNTIL THE JUDGING IS OVER! I will let everyone know when that is. Also, DO NOT PASSWORD PROTECT YOUR MAP!

So, download the template and begin!

And Good Luck!

FAQ

What's the pre-designed area about? Do I have to use it? What will happen if I don't use it? Can I change it?
You don't have to use it, but the judges will probably give you a few bonus points if this area is used in a clever way. You can't change the terrain in that area by using the editor. However, you are allowed to use events (like change terrain) to alter the area.

How many maps can I make?
You can only enter the competition with one map.

Am I allowed to use the Standard Editor Mod (SEM)?
No.

I'm not that good at english, is it ok if a friend helps me with signs, messages etc?
Yes.

Can I have multiple languages in signs, messages etc?
As long as one of them is english, yes.

What name should the .ahm file have?
Any name you like.

Do i have to zip the file before sending it?
No.

Should we really write our names in the map info?
Yes, I'll remove your name before sending it out to the other judges.

[This message has been edited by Magog (edited 12-21-2005 @ 11:22 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Elquein
posted 12-31-05 10:44 PM EDT (US)     26 / 67       

Quote:

WARNING!!

The BEACH HILL tiles do not function properly. They allow no units with 'walking'. Please do not use these in your maps.

Pity, I liked the beach hills.
Well now I just have more things to do with my map. It's going to be close and I am starting to doubt if I manage to finish it before that deadline. I better begin to cut some corners as there is no way I can include everything I want in this map.

Swolte
AOWH/AOW2H Seraph
posted 01-01-06 08:47 PM EDT (US)     27 / 67       
An inspirational 2006 then!

I'll also update the deadline in the main news!

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
Magog
posted 01-02-06 05:21 AM EDT (US)     28 / 67       
One more week to go people! You must have submitted your map before sunday 23:59 GMT.

[This message has been edited by Magog (edited 01-02-2006 @ 05:22 AM).]

Alex Mars
posted 01-08-06 03:12 PM EDT (US)     29 / 67       
Holy crap, I thought this was due on the 15th! Time for a crash effort to finish the detailing on my map.
The Groll
posted 01-08-06 04:20 PM EDT (US)     30 / 67       
Map submited to you Magog.
Just in time. But time was very short.
I feel with you Alex Mars.
Time is very short now.

AoWSM Maps: 1. Marlenes Welt 2. Marlenes Schatten 3. Marlenes Gnade
Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
11. AoW I Sound Set for AoWSM 12. Gentleman Rules Set
Need Help? The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe
Proud member of the Upatch 1.4 & 1.5 Team
Alex Mars
posted 01-08-06 06:41 PM EDT (US)     31 / 67       
Alex Mars
posted 01-08-06 07:45 PM EDT (US)     32 / 67       
And now begins the horrible period of reflection, where I start second-guessing myself and wondering if I should have done things differently.
Magog
posted 01-09-06 02:53 AM EDT (US)     33 / 67       
Ok, time for us judges to do some work.

Four maps have been sent to me and they all look really good, so judging will not be a simple task...

The Groll
posted 01-09-06 03:15 AM EDT (US)     34 / 67       
Only four?

I thought, you get more than 20 or 30 maps.
Thats not much. Why may it be so little?
Anyway.
Now I have time in peace to change some things in my map, without the hurry of this competition.
I think it will be released not before I have changed some things and have tested the map with all races. And of course not before the contest is realy over and you judges have voted for the maps and have given the O.K. for release.
It was a very short time for making a good map, but it was fun anyway.
Iīm very curiously about the other three maps.
But we have to wait now. Now we to much time.

Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
Magog
posted 01-09-06 03:37 AM EDT (US)     35 / 67       
As you said, I gave you guys maybe a too short time limit. But there's nothing to do about that now.

I expected 5-10 maps to enter, but concidering the quality of the four maps that finally entered I still think the competition has served its purpose.

Shallow
posted 01-09-06 12:37 PM EDT (US)     36 / 67       
Well, I'm making a map but I never could have it done before the 8th... Map is probably finished in the middle of February (damn you school ). Detail is done, some ballancing needs to be done, and some (major) events.
Swolte
AOWH/AOW2H Seraph
posted 01-10-06 10:09 AM EDT (US)     37 / 67       
*leans back and relaxes at the prospect of having to play 4 maps only*

My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
The Groll
posted 01-11-06 03:32 PM EDT (US)     38 / 67       
Hi judges!
I donīt want to influence you in any way, but can you tell us a little bit unimportant bla...bla...bla... here?
Maybe every judge can post a little line, so we see that you have fun and working?
There is a little hole in my timeplan now, where I donīt work every free minute on the map.
And so I wander around and often stop here.

Swolte
AOWH/AOW2H Seraph
posted 01-12-06 03:39 PM EDT (US)     39 / 67       
I have played two maps so far and am impressed by both of them. One of them is clearly better, though. It's got superior atmosphere and story!
On to the next one later!

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 01-12-2006 @ 03:40 PM).]

The Groll
posted 01-12-06 04:26 PM EDT (US)     40 / 67       
Ah... Yes that it exactly the "bla...bla...bla.." stuff I wanted to read.
:-)
It says much and nothing. Fantastic!
I be anxious about more of such stuff.

I found some bad things in my map that must be changed before release. Damn for the short time we had!
For Secrets of Marlenia I had less time but for ... even lesser.

What about the other mapmakers?
Are you still there?
Elquein, Iīm very interested in your map after the competition. Iīve downloaded one of your maps and it looks interesting. Better than many other maps.

[This message has been edited by The Groll (edited 01-12-2006 @ 04:44 PM).]

Swolte
AOWH/AOW2H Seraph
posted 01-12-06 06:52 PM EDT (US)     41 / 67       
Both maps I played had mistakes, and some were serious. Fortunately no mistakes that made maps unplayable. I will put these in the comments so the maps can be improved before public release.

Despite these, I can already say that the two maps I played were well playtested and that the mistakes were probably caused by time (people putting in events last minute without properly checking).

So far, both maps were of a better or similar quality to the best maps shipped with the v1.4 patch!

takolin
posted 01-13-06 03:59 AM EDT (US)     42 / 67       
I can't wait until these maps are released if you make such comments.
To bad there only4.

I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God.
Magog
posted 01-13-06 06:09 AM EDT (US)     43 / 67       
I've tried all four maps, but only played two of them seriously. I'm also impressed by the quality of the maps, knowing how hard it must have been to make them this good on this short amount of time.
NTJedi
posted 01-13-06 01:24 PM EDT (US)     44 / 67       
Hopefully another competition... I just didn't have enough time to finish. In fact I'm still working on the map... I'm sure several others also have maps 30% done.

There can be only one.
Highlander
Swolte
AOWH/AOW2H Seraph
posted 01-17-06 01:56 PM EDT (US)     45 / 67       
Played all 4 maps now but I am still undecided. All 4 maps are great quality maps and live up to great standards but two of these, imo, have something special and unique over them that makes them stand out!

Difficult, difficult...

The Groll
posted 01-17-06 04:30 PM EDT (US)     46 / 67       
Very interesting!
A Question:
Do you and the other judges talk about the four competition maps or is every one of you judges choosing the valuation, for the maps, alone in a dark mosty room, deep under the earth?

Swolte
AOWH/AOW2H Seraph
posted 01-17-06 10:24 PM EDT (US)     47 / 67       
All the evaluations and scores will be sent to Magog, so the judges are not influenced by eachother.

Chat Noir
posted 01-18-06 12:22 PM EDT (US)     48 / 67       
Any idea when you will be done?
The_Stranger
posted 01-19-06 02:39 AM EDT (US)     49 / 67       
I want to add that I don't think it's fair to make us choose a winner. All these maps are very good. But, as Swolte noted, a couple bugs/issues have come up in two of them. Anyhow, I've played all four for pretty long stretches--in fact I've had to force myself to stop on several occasions!--and will be finishing my evaluations soon.

What I found interesting was that it was pretty clear who each of the four mapmakers was after reading the first paragraph of their respective intros. You all have different styles of map making and story telling, and, of course, different points of view. It made playing each map more fun, as there was really no creative overlap.

Thanks to all the map creators for your good work. I hope you all make a few more maps for us to enjoy (maybe for Dwigg mod too...when it gets released ).

regards,

BJ

[This message has been edited by The_Stranger (edited 01-19-2006 @ 02:44 AM).]

Alex Mars
posted 01-20-06 06:23 AM EDT (US)     50 / 67       

Quote:

What I found interesting was that it was pretty clear who each of the four mapmakers was after reading the first paragraph of their respective intros.

And I went out of my way to avoid any of my usual references and such...

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames