You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Timelord

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.158 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » TNS: 2010 1v1 Mapmaking Tournament - Sign up here!
Bottom
Topic Subject:TNS: 2010 1v1 Mapmaking Tournament - Sign up here!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7  Next Page »
Swolte
AOWH/AOW2H Seraph
posted 02-01-10 10:48 PM EDT (US)         
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to TNS (Tournament News Station), for all news regarding the 1v1 mapmaking tournament. Please check in here regularly, as we will have feature interviews on mapmaking with contestants and judges once in a while!

As is tradition, all submitted maps have a reasonable chance to be used for the 2010 1v1 PBEM-tournament, and the winning map is ensured participation.

So, what are you waiting for? Read the rules and conditions, and sign up!

*** THE CHALLENGE ***

The assignment is simple.
Make the best 1v1 tournament map in the world.

Conditions (read carefully!).

The map needs to be...
- the only map you submit to this tournament.
- of a SMALL SIZE only.
- playable as 1 vs 1.
- original, so do not use existing maps.
- made by you, and you alone, using the upatch-1.4.
- in English.
- open to criticism and (sometimes heavy...)
- open for the development of special tournament version. These are revisions meant to improve playability and balance, as the map may be used for an upcoming 1-v-1 pbem tournament.
- made as a tournament map. This means, for example, as balanced as you can! Both *human* playable Wizard should have an approximately equal chance of winning.
- available for the public (once submitted).

For the rest, everything is up to you! You can have underground or not, as many events (but be careful...) and story as you like, a million custom heroes/Wizards, AI Wizards or not, etc, etc...

For good examples of tournament maps, I would highly take a look at the mappack for the 2009 PBEM tournament.

*** THE WINNER ***
Now, why would you want to win this?

#1 - the winner will win a special Age of Wonders/HG drinking cup!
#2 - the winning map is guaranteed to be used in the prestigious 1v1 singles PBEM-tournament final, starting in the summer of 2010. In addition, the winning map may also be used in the first rounds of subsequent PBEM tournaments.
#3 - you can proudly wear the title '1v1 Mapmaking Champion 2010' in your signature! Forever...

NOTE: After the judging, the second and third ranked maps are also guaranteed to be used in the tournament. Remaining maps may also be used, but have no guarantees.

*** REGISTERING ***

Please sign up for this tournament by expressing your interest in this thread and posting your email (This way we can send reminders for the deadline). You can sign up anytime before the deadline to submit the map (see below).

List of contestants: 13
- Swolte
- Enginerd
- LordDuck
- PawelS
- nyarlathotep
- KillKenny
- Albaron
- The AM
- Bluebaby
- Puncturebox
- Charx
- Unsellord
- iBobs

*** SUBMISSION AND TIMELINE ***

DEADLINE TO SUBMIT COMPLETED MAP: MARCH 25th

Please submit the following to: chowguy@heavengames dot com

1) The Map
Please send the .ahm file (doesn't need to be zipped). I recommend NOT to put your name in the map so that judges have no idea who the mapmaker is and be (unconsciously) influenced.

2) -- OPTIONAL -- Statement of Testing and GI-Events -- OPTIONAL --
This is an honor-statement in a text file where you can explain how you have tested the map for balance purposes (no need to submit one if you aren't testing) as well as describe important game influencing events.

- Playtesting (balance): Playing for more than 12 ingame days counts as one testing session. You can indicate how many times you have tested and in what fashion
It's up to each judges' discretion how much value they attach to these statements for their score on 'Balance'.
- GI Events: Game influencing (GI) events are events that influence actual gameplay (Events other than for atmosphere and story). You are advised to indicate the most crucial ones, and in your mapmaking of a tournament map, to keep them to a minimum.

See example below in the FAQ!!

*** THE JUDGING ***

- Who will judge?

TO BE CONFIRMED:
- Arnout (Your Triumph Studios main scenario design/balance developer)
- Timelord (Your Cherub, winner of 2009 1v1 mapmaking tournament, former WL-champion)
- Costa (Your 2009 PBEM champion)
- The Groll (Your expert mapmaker)

- How will the maps be judged?
Chowguy will send the maps on to the judges who will only get the titles of the maps. They do NOT know who made those maps.
The maps will be judged on these three characteristics at face value.

Balance
This design basically and PURELY answers the question: "would you take a challenge playing either Wizard?"
- Are there any unfair advantages for one Wizard?
- Does one side have more opportunity to exploit game mechanics than the other? (e.g., seduce, control animal, etc...)
Note that a map doesn't need to be symmetrical in order to be balanced. You can be quite creative here.

Playability
This design determines whether a map is fun to play AND suits a tournament. Is there something unique/creative in the (strategic) design of the map that makes the gameplay stand out? Is it too predictable, or unpredictable? Is it easy to see what the game-influencing events are doing? Would it take too long to finish, or too fast? To what extent does winning depend on human x human play (as opposed to against AI)? Etc...

Atmosphere
This design determines how the map feels to play: the setting. Can you relate to the Wizard/Heroes? How creative is the landscape and special areas? Are there events or special signs that add to the atmosphere? A story?

*** FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ***

Feel free to ask any questions in this thread and I will put them up here with the answers.

What does a statement of testing look like?
A statement of testing should give a judge a quick impression.

This is an example:
---------------------------------
STATEMENT OF TESTING/ EVENTS
Map: The Depths.

BALANCE TESTING
Map playtested against myself (5 sessions)
Map playtested with friend (1 sessions)
Map playtested by testers (1 sessions)

(Provide links if there were actual threads)

Relevant comments: Big Archon main starting city does not allow building of Saints.

GI EVENTS
All events were play tested!

Important game influencing events:
- When Queen Ellessil captures the Wand of Earth item, and brings it to the temple of Gaia, the Goblin main underground area will collapse (change terrain: dirt/rock).
- A mighty hero will appear for King Gobbo upon killing the rogue elven hero called Skitzy.

----------------------------------

Isn't the statement of testing flawed and unfair?
The main purpose of this statement is to motivate people to actually test their maps. It is also a way to appreciate those mapmakers who do test!

However, the judges can now also take this into account at their discretion. It will simply be unrealistic time-wise to judge balance on the basis of playing the map once as a judge. There is a lot an experienced eye can see. Keep in mind that if, for example, the map has a lot of events, and is quite asymmetrical, a judge may put more value on the presence of such a statement than when the map is quite straightforward and doesn't need much testing.

However, it is an honor statement and people can indeed lie, and exaggerate. Not to mention that the amount of testing doesn't mean the map is actually balanced better. Please bear in mind that the judges will be (made) aware of this as well.

As for events, these are sometimes not obvious to people and pointing Game influencing events out may make for a better assessment of the balance.

No points are subtracted from NOT having such a statement.

Will the scores of my map be made public?
The idea is that we will only make public a top 5 ranking of maps without scores. Average scores (from all 4 judges per map) are available upon request after the judging. We will not make the names of the judges known.

Can I still change my map after the mapmaking tournament for the pbem tournament?
YES! If your map will be chosen for the upcoming pbem tournament you will receive feedback to make it even better. If you don't have time to fix things, the tournament organizers will make a tournament version of your map and use this.

Can my map get disqualified?
Yes, your risk disqualification if your map does not adhere to any of the conditions listed at the top. Ultimately, the judges decide what to do in such situations.

Why ONLY small maps? I have too many cool ideas and they don't fit!
Sorry, this particular mapmaking tournament is specifically designed for an upcoming 1v1 pbem tournament. FFA mapmaking tournaments allowing for larger sizes will certainly follow in the future.
Allowing medium maps would take too long to finish, even though these can be more interesting. Another reason is that its a very manageable size for our overambitious, and beginner mapmakers. A short but intense time to mapmake is usually best and keeps things fun!

Will my map be played blind?
('Blind' means that the players will not look at the map in the editor before the tournament starts).

No. In the case where knowledge can have influence on the outcome of the game, it is tricky, especially with the eye on the upcoming tournament. We cannot realize people playing the map blind for several reasons. First of all, there is no way we can really ensure that people don't know the map. Second, the judges will also want to play in the subsequent tournament. Third, maps may be played simultaneously in rounds so that earlier logs may betray crucial secrets to others. Fourth, the mapmakers themselves may be participating in the tournament.

Can I use SEM?
Yes. SEM stands for 'Standard Editor Mod' which is a tool designed by JamieJME. It is not a mod in the traditional sense, but it can aid in applying cool tricks to existing maps.
Check it out here

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008

[This message has been edited by Swolte (edited 03-24-2010 @ 08:31 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Bluebaby
posted 04-09-10 01:48 AM EDT (US)     101 / 158       
Yeah, "Sign up here!" seems a bit outdated now.

Sounds like you done a great job, Groll. I wonder how the other judges will get along. But by the way ..
No map from Killkenny was submitted.
How would you know that since judges were supposed to receive the maps anonymously?
I have no contact to the other judges so far. Seem we does not talk while we rate for the maps.
That's good. Should be one of the competition's rating conditions.

[This message has been edited by Bluebaby (edited 04-09-2010 @ 01:51 AM).]

Albaron
posted 04-09-10 02:50 AM EDT (US)     102 / 158       
No map from Killkenny was submitted.
How would you know that since judges were supposed to receive the maps anonymously?
You can have a look here at post no. 20 from ChowGuy:

http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=29,5439,0,365#pagebottom295439
The Groll
posted 04-09-10 05:03 AM EDT (US)     103 / 158       
Yap! Albaron is showing the path.
Of course I donīt know no map before and have no link to the maps and the mapmakers names.
I will be as surprised as you all. I guess and try to find out the names of the mapmakers while I look at the map but I am very sure that I often failed.
All maps are very nice and have a high quality. I mean this for all parts of the maps, like atmosphere, balance, playability but also for style and story. The is no map for the trashcan. Even now I can congratulate all mapmakers for their map and for a great work.
I really know what it means to make a (good) map and I see much work, wonderful ideas (scripts+story) and a lot of spirit in this maps.

AoWSM Maps: 1. Marlenes Welt 2. Marlenes Schatten 3. Marlenes Gnade
Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
11. AoW I Sound Set for AoWSM 12. Gentleman Rules Set
Need Help? The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe
Proud member of the Upatch 1.4 & 1.5 Team

[This message has been edited by The Groll (edited 04-09-2010 @ 05:39 AM).]

Bluebaby
posted 04-09-10 06:04 AM EDT (US)     104 / 158       
I really know what it means to make a (good) map and I see much work, wonderful ideas (scripts+story) and a lot of spirit in this maps.
That leaves me consolidated ..
Swolte
AOWH/AOW2H Seraph
posted 04-09-10 08:12 AM EDT (US)     105 / 158       
That's good. Should be one of the competition's rating conditions.
It is. Judges were requested to not be in contact with each other (as well as competitors) on the maps.

Thanks for your updates, Groll. Makes me very excited to see the maps!

My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
Costa
posted 04-12-10 05:25 PM EDT (US)     106 / 158       
I am finished with the judging of the maps, and have already sent everything to ChowGuy. I had to finish sooner because I will be travelling the rest of this week.

I must say there are many excellent maps in this tournament!!! I'm quite sure that we can use many of them in the tourney, and that they will give us a lot of fun and exciting pbems.

I have enjoyed to judge them, but I gotta admit that it has been some hard work too. Giving me a solid headache from time to time...
It takes time to get to know a map and to find out how balanced and playable it is. To put a score on atmosphere was the easiest thing.

Good luck to all in the competition!
ChowGuy
HG Cherub
posted 04-13-10 03:17 AM EDT (US)     107 / 158       
I am finished with the judging of the maps, and have already sent everything to ChowGuy. I had to finish sooner because I will be travelling the rest of this week.
We appreciate the time and effort. I've got Arnout's scores in as well, so you're not the only one that's been hard at it. Hopefully The Groll and Timelord will be wrapping up (ot that anyone wants to rush them I'm sure) and we can have the final results soon.

ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum
Timelord
HG Cherub
posted 04-13-10 05:23 PM EDT (US)     108 / 158       
I've got 3 more maps to finish play-testing on. The results should be sent out tomorrow evening or day-after.

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
My Dragon Age development blog
nyarlathotep
posted 04-13-10 08:01 PM EDT (US)     109 / 158       
Ooh-ooh! Ain't it all so exciting? *insert silly nervous hopping smily*

Proud mapmaker for the UPatch team
One gas to rule them all, One gas to find them
One gas to bring them all and with the Spice we bind them
Creator of the following maps: RenaissanceEarth, RoadToHell, YeOfLittleFaith, FrostbiteDelirium, Stormy Seas
Co-creator for: CityDwellers
together with TravisII
The Groll
posted 04-14-10 10:03 AM EDT (US)     110 / 158       
I am very busy in RL and will send the votes to Chow Guy now.
Good luck to any mapmaker.

Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
Swolte
AOWH/AOW2H Seraph
posted 04-14-10 11:48 AM EDT (US)     111 / 158       
Yikes, silly nervous hopping smileys are hard to find... but it looks like we're getting closer!
- insert nervous nailbiting smiley -

Bluebaby
posted 04-14-10 01:18 PM EDT (US)     112 / 158       
Will the scores of my map be made public?
The idea is that we will only make public a top 5 ranking of maps without scores. Average scores (from all 4 judges per map) are available upon request after the judging. We will not make the names of the judges known.
Would be good to have all rankings made public. (Final score and if possible the sum values of the various judgment categories for each contestant.) It is only fair sportsmanship and a honourable feedback to all map-makers who undertook much effort to participate. Leaving without a judgment somehow feels like having run in vain!

[This message has been edited by Bluebaby (edited 04-14-2010 @ 01:28 PM).]

Timelord
HG Cherub
posted 04-14-10 02:39 PM EDT (US)     113 / 158       
Scores have been sent to ChowGuy.

If any mapmaker requires detailed feedback (I have put in comments against the various maps but do not know if they will be published and/or are enough), they can contact me via email. Some of the comments might be harsh but keep in mind that the evaluation was done from the point-of-view of a competitive 1vs1 map

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
My Dragon Age development blog
Albaron
posted 04-14-10 03:37 PM EDT (US)     114 / 158       
I would appreciate any comment and criticism as well as praise (of course ) for my map. This is the only way to improve for further maps.

I would have no problem at all, when it would be available for the whole community.
nyarlathotep
posted 04-14-10 03:39 PM EDT (US)     115 / 158       
I'm all in for putting my score in public, but I can't speak for the other mapmakers.

Creator of the following maps: RenaissanceEarth, RoadToHell, YeOfLittleFaith, FrostbiteDelirium, Stormy Seas
together with TravisII
The Groll
posted 04-14-10 03:48 PM EDT (US)     116 / 158       
As said before I have submitted the score to chow Guy but also made a Word Document while I rate for the maps and while I watch the mas in the editor or in game.
I know this document can make some mapmakers angry maybe but I would release it if you like even when you mapmakers get mad or angry about me then.
I think if one chose to be a judge he should also be hard enough to stand the heatwave when he release his votes (and maybe detailed "thoughts" about the maps) he has rated.
So this document could be available for the mapmakers if they like.

Swolte
AOWH/AOW2H Seraph
posted 04-14-10 04:19 PM EDT (US)     117 / 158       
Would be good to have all rankings made public. (Not the details necessarily, but the end results.) It is only fair sportsmanship and a honourable feedback to all map-makers who undertook much effort to participate. Leaving without a judgment somehow feels like having run in vain!
Yes, its a good point. I decided not to because some people may not like being ranked in the bottom and have that shown publically.

I also didn't see how that would be 'good sportsmanship' to list them (or bad sportsmanship not to). Nor did I think general low rankings alone are very informative anyway (perfectly nice maps, in which a lot of effort went, can be ranked down a lot if they are not practical for tournaments).

As for feedback, note that contestants can get their final ranking, as well as detailed feedback on their own map by email.

We won't change such a rule halfway the competition anyway.

[This message has been edited by Swolte (edited 04-14-2010 @ 05:09 PM).]

ChowGuy
HG Cherub
posted 04-14-10 04:57 PM EDT (US)     118 / 158       
All the raw scores are in. Now comes the hard part - verifying and coming up with final results (with maybe some checkback with the judges). The thot plickens.

<< silly nervous dancing smiley

The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum
PawelS
posted 04-14-10 05:39 PM EDT (US)     119 / 158       
I have nothing against making the scores and comments to my map public, even if it's on the last place.

I'm going to improve my map after the tourney, so all comments and suggestions are welcome.

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.

[This message has been edited by PawelS (edited 04-14-2010 @ 05:40 PM).]

Enginerd
HG Angel
posted 04-14-10 07:37 PM EDT (US)     120 / 158       
I'm soooo excited... I can hardly wait

Anyways... as a former judge (of several mapmaking events) I know mapmakers really enjoy constructive criticism and I've tried to do that in emails to those interested mapmakers. I've also seen good and bad with going public with my comments as a judge. I too see the value in NOT making ALL of those judges comments public info and the scoring is tough, I recall several times scoring one map a 5 and another a 4 just to create a difference when they were really about a 4.6 vs a 4.5, it's tough to be a judge.

I think the recommendation is that once the competition is over we can upload our maps individually and have people comment there, we can solicit feedback from the judges (I will be doing that) and then we can continue to refine the map as Pawel mentions. I value the feedback too and hope to make my map better and maybe even make a single player version of it. Anyways....

I think the judges did a great job in working through all those maps in a short amount of time. Well done (and did I say I can hardly wait to see the results....)
ChowGuy
HG Cherub
posted 04-14-10 11:49 PM EDT (US)     121 / 158       
q=PawelS]I have nothing against making the scores and comments to my map public, even if it's on the last place.

I'm going to improve my map after the tourney, so all comments and suggestions are welcome.
I think the recommendation is that once the competition is over we can upload our maps individually and have people comment there, we can solicit feedback from the judges (I will be doing that) and then we can continue to refine the map as Pawel mentions.
Per Swolte's guidelines, all of the maps as sent to the judges have been posted to the Downloads area in a single pack, together with the maker's names. Individual mapmakers as always retain the right to modify and re-post their own work (and we encourage it!) and may if they wish email me for any feed back or comments supplied by the judges, which will be forwarded anonymously but which they are then also free to release here if they so desire.

I'm holding off on posting the final results as there are some pending items to be taken care of (and because Swolte is off for a few days however average scores for the top five maps (only) will be posted in a few days in General Discussions once I have assurance they are final, but the individual judges tally sheets will not.

Swolte will of course be responsible for all prizes and possible use in next year's PBEM tournament.
Remember one reason for this mapmaking tournament is the 1v1 pbem tournament. If we intend to use your map for the tournament, we will let you know. Note that the winner, and place 2 and 3, will automatically have his/her map participate in the tournament, but it's likely we'll be using other maps as well. The higher the ranking, the larger your chance.

The pbem tournament will not be played on 'blind'. I would strongly recommend releasing your map yourself now, to get feedback and make improvements.
In the meantime we'd like to thank all participants and judges, and hope to see you all back next year.

ChowGuy - Official Designated Neutral (no harassment please)

ibobs
posted 04-15-10 04:19 AM EDT (US)     122 / 158       
I say post them all! I do want to be sent my wooden spoon at the end of it for last place though!!!
Charx
posted 04-15-10 06:02 AM EDT (US)     123 / 158       
I say do NOT post them all. Lets say you want to play a fun 1vs1 and you download the contest-mappack. Would you ever consider to play the rank #14 map? The point is that this map could be exactly what you are looking for, but since it just does not fit into a pbem tourney, it is ranked #14. And this might look far too bad for the map that it is. The idea of this contest should be to produce 5 winners, but no losers.
nyarlathotep
posted 04-15-10 06:59 AM EDT (US)     124 / 158       
Oh my... just had a quick look at the maps, and there's allready quite a few I immediately fell in love with! Glad I was not one of the judges

together with TravisII
ibobs
posted 04-15-10 07:20 AM EDT (US)     125 / 158       
Yeah, but we all know that the maps are not judged for pure content rather for the 1v1 comp, so that is all ok. As quoted above, map makers love feedback so we need to know!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames