You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussion & Suggestions
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Stranger's Dwigg Mod
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 61 62 63 64 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100  Next Page »
posted 03-30-05 02:59 AM EDT (US)   
Dwiggs5.0 is available here:

http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=612

Update 17-12-19 Joep and I are making an Age of Wonders 3 Dwiggs mod. If anyone is interested, just email me at bradjosse@gmail.com

Cheers!

In regards to Dwiggs mod, special thanks to:

El Joep-who did too much to list.

Timelord-again, too much to list.

Igoraki-converted many of the new graphics.

Merkraad-taught me the whole morphing thing

Kirky Picardo-maker of the excellent Brave New World mod. Like Timelord and Joep, he helped me too much to list just any one thing.

Kaskoid-Many of the excellent descriptions come from his desk.

Stillborn, Jean Luc, and many others also contributed some very creative descriptions. Look for the letter at the end of the description to see who wrote it.

If you wish to contact me, you can do so at bradjosse@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by The_Stranger (edited 12-16-2019 @ 08:19 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-21-06 09:10 PM EDT (US)     1831 / 2994  
Sorry Merk:

The translator I used said it was Christmas Alegre.
I may have made an inadvertent error, but I could never forget the Dwiggers in Brasil... or Portugal, if there are any.

Arch-Enemy of the Annoyingly Dense
Practitioner of Whimsy
Celt,Finn & Swede Elder Gamer
posted 12-22-06 08:24 AM EDT (US)     1832 / 2994  
Don't worry Kaskoid no need for sorry during holidays

Some of those translators can have funny results I guess hehe

And thanks again to Stranger for dedicating his time on the making of this Mod!!!

PS: don't disappear from GS Dwiggers still time for some games

Artist, Sorcerer, Monk and AoW Series fan
Proud citizen of BRASIL \o/ |o/ \o| \o/ |o| /o/ \o/
Blog with some art
www.the-battlefield.com ex-member with fond memories:Battlefield Player of the year 2003;Battlefield Winner of 4 Tourneys;Battlefield Winner of AoW league 2004
Proud owner of an AoW SM poster signed by Devs!
Please try the fantastic BNW Mod made by my friend Kirky Picardo! The best AoW:SM Mod!
posted 12-25-06 09:07 AM EDT (US)     1833 / 2994  
Merry christmas guys

Anyone up for a game tonight in the spirit of christmas?

posted 12-25-06 04:08 PM EDT (US)     1834 / 2994  
Sure haven't seen you guys at GS lately though

Artist, Sorcerer, Monk and AoW Series fan
Proud citizen of BRASIL \o/ |o/ \o| \o/ |o| /o/ \o/
Blog with some art
www.the-battlefield.com ex-member with fond memories:Battlefield Player of the year 2003;Battlefield Winner of 4 Tourneys;Battlefield Winner of AoW league 2004
Proud owner of an AoW SM poster signed by Devs!
Please try the fantastic BNW Mod made by my friend Kirky Picardo! The best AoW:SM Mod!
posted 12-25-06 05:34 PM EDT (US)     1835 / 2994  
Sorry....A new puppy and work have been keeping me quite busy! Hopefully I can play a bit more in the coming week
posted 12-28-06 07:20 AM EDT (US)     1836 / 2994  
This is a great mod, and I enjoy playing it immensly.

Is there a way to play custom maps that were not spespacially made for Dwiggs with the mod?

posted 12-28-06 01:32 PM EDT (US)     1837 / 2994  
Yes, there is a way, although not always predictable or perfect.

With the Dwigg resources selected, open the Editor. Then Open the map you have in mind. Now Save it with a slightly different name.

That done, exit the Editor and start the game, again using the Dwiggs Resources. You will usually get a map that has been "Dwiggitized". Sometimes you may not care for the results; which new units are in which slots in the Editor can have some pretty hilarious and/or doofus results.

The alternative is to open it in the Editor and change units and such around with it.

Practitioner of Whimsy
posted 12-28-06 06:31 PM EDT (US)     1838 / 2994  
I finally figured out the mystery of the lizard cities showing up with the old draconian graphics. It turns out I was using the Dwiggs 1.4 resources instead of the Dwiggs 1.4 Patch resources. As soon as I changed over and saved a map using the patch resources the murky and gaseous architecture of the new lizard cities showed up in all their ominous glory.
posted 12-29-06 06:41 PM EDT (US)     1839 / 2994  
I'm glad you got it working, Bam

On another note, I've got some free time and would be up for a Dwiggs game my tonight or tommorrow morning (most people's saturday), starting around 9am GMT or 10pm GMT or, if the New Year rules that out for most of you, then perhaps next week

Best regards for this "new" year,

BJ

posted 12-30-06 07:31 AM EDT (US)     1840 / 2994  
Count me in, I'll be checking GS between 9-10 AM,
on my saturday. If I'm there, but not in the room, you should beep me up in private. This because my GS drops
me frequently out of the room.
Perhaps you can also make a dwiggs version of Sausud's precious, Tales of Matunmura: The Titan Gate. Although this might be a lot of work, I have enjoyed playing it alot thus far. Also the usage of units seems very Dwiggish to me.
posted 12-30-06 09:50 AM EDT (US)     1841 / 2994  
Hey hi all. Howdy Mr.Stranger?

B4 anyone can convert my map, I would like to state that plzz wait for my update that increments the gameplay by almost 45-50%. I have added many new quests so that the extra units on the surface can be utilised.

Thanks!

-= Love heals all =-
The One and only NymphMaster!
Aow-SM Maps: The Titan Gate (4.9/5)
Aow-TWT Maps:Glass (4.6/5)
Got any questions/suggestions regarding my maps? Post them HERE
posted 12-30-06 06:47 PM EDT (US)     1842 / 2994  
Is this mod applied to the official campaign, or do you have to find maps that are specifically designed for it and the 1.4 patch?
posted 01-05-07 06:21 AM EDT (US)     1843 / 2994  
Hello.
I download and install files : Dwiggs_1.4.exe, Dwiggs1.4 Patch Installer.exe and Dwiggsupdate.exe, I download and install UGPM_gui_0.0.12.exe, I open UGPM_gui.exe, I find ugpm_script.txt, I click this, I click on "tool" then "create all units", and the application close with the windows's error message.

If I skim the file, I look that I miss certain files like Catapult.ilb for _DMod_Dwarven_Catapult.ilb.

(I use the frensh version of AOW : SM)

I am a frensh user.

Be tolerant, I speak English very badly.

[This message has been edited by Zanonov (edited 01-05-2007 @ 06:23 AM).]

posted 01-07-07 04:23 PM EDT (US)     1844 / 2994  
Hi Zanonov,

When you try and play the mod, do you see all of the units? If not, which ones are missing?

I'll send you the missing ones if they are only 1 or 2.

Regards,

bj

posted 01-07-07 07:28 PM EDT (US)     1845 / 2994  
A simple suggestion..

Haste as a silver bonus for bombers (exploding goblins). At 24mp they have a hard time reaching anything to explode. Even difficult UG. And they could never get silver medal without war shrine or colosseum upgrade for a dispossable unit. If you spend 50 gold on a bomber, you've earned the haste. If you you've built war shrine, you probably already built seige workshop and are mostly past building bombers anyways and have earned it.

Yes they get sabotage as a upgrade at silver. But sabotage can be even harder to use then exploding with such little movement. Since if city walls, archers cut them down first. If background warmachine, bombers would have a hard time getting past frontline troops. They could have both haste and sabotage for silver, I don't think thats too much.

posted 01-08-07 08:03 PM EDT (US)     1846 / 2994  
I had a game where I was facing two thieves(throw blade, mark 1, not too strong) and four bandits (about 5 stat across the board, charge) With my wizard two heroes, two rangers and a silver lancer. Only the wizard and the two heroes survive the auto battle on a number of tries.

So I took out the rangers and replaced them with wildblades. The wildblades did as well or better then then the rangers each try.

Wildblades are a 60 gold level 1 that can be produced every turn with master guild. Without master guild with constructor(at city level).

Rangers cost 90 gold, are a level 2(twice as slow leveling, more mighty meek unfriendly, increased upkeep, twice the bonus when enemy kills them) and would require master guild, constructor and order guild to one turn produce them.

If rangers are only at the level of or even weaker overall then wildblades unless behind city walls (imagine, rangers only good when in cities) Whats the point of them?

I recommend this, wildblade get their def reduced by 1 to 6. Rangers get their defence increase by 1 to 6.(wildblades would still have block) Rangers get extra strike just like wildblades (rangers are fast, certainly as fast as a wildblade weighed down with a shield) I was also thinking control animal at gold level would make sense for rangers. Not sure if thats too powerful or not could sub for other gold bonus abilities @ gold.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 01-08-2007 @ 08:12 PM).]

posted 01-08-07 08:29 PM EDT (US)     1847 / 2994  
50 mines is the biggest problem. With average settings there will pop up 5-10 50 mines in map which is certainly too much. When rest cities than cap wonīt really produce any gold before u get merchant. Orcs/Dwarfs can take with starting units one or two of those mines, when goblins/hobbits sometimes start at weak reputation and no chance to get any 50 mines. If 50 mines would be moved to watermill or furnace they would pop up rarely in rmg map tho the name canīt be changed to mine afaik. Also twice harder defence would make it more fair to all races so they canīt just wipe out them with starting units.

Another thing is that all races should have enough powerful 4th lvl as 3rd or lower ones are useless without buffs, as 80% play with water and get liquidform. 3rd lvl summons at least could have magic strike or another one. What is hobbits wolf hound, 120 cost, but canīt really do anything .

Ranger are scouts, wild blades is only good thing at elfes so they should not be weakened, rangers can get some xtra during lvls as Aragorn get pretty powerful after age of 100.

AoW:SM and WoW gamer

Maker of MP Mod 1.8

[This message has been edited by Munataros (edited 01-08-2007 @ 08:37 PM).]

posted 01-08-07 09:01 PM EDT (US)     1848 / 2994  
50 mines is actually a benefit, yes there is a issue about some races getting stronger starts then others. Then again races like gobs can spam units unlike other races. Spin off a gob town, spend all 7 turns in outpost making stabbers, use those to take the 50 mine.

But if we could change it so races start at more equal levels that will solve your issues with 50 mines.

On the other hand 50 mines mean less dependancy on city upgrades. Its a strong dwiggs complaint all around that upgrading cities is too manditory, making for long building games. Higher producing structures help this.

-------------------

Rangers only have vision 1, vision 2 at gold. Horseback has the same vision 1 and are faster and cheaper, easier to one turn produce too. Sure at gold and grass concealment rangers can be spies, but both weak def and resist and no block makes this unlikely.

Ranger upgrade bonuses are not much better then wildblade upgrades. Yet they require twice the experience to get it, can only build half as many as wildblades under many conditions.

Wildblades are the only good elf unit your saying mun? That we shouldnt bother with other units? How often do you honestly produce rangers mun? Wildblades are the best of the expensive level 1 set I think, while other elven units do rather suck sometimes like ranger. Makes sense to decrease this gap. Wildblades can easily afford a very slight nerf and rangers a small boost.

Quote:

rangers can get some xtra during lvls as Aragorn get pretty powerful after age of 100.

Then whats wrong with them getting control animal at gold? Makes sense for rangers.

And whats your excuse for not giving rangers 1 more def and a extra strike like wildblades?

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 01-08-2007 @ 09:05 PM).]

posted 01-08-07 09:10 PM EDT (US)     1849 / 2994  
BTW its still really stupid to put input in this thread instead of a thread dedicated to dwiggs 1.4 patch. This thread stretches back past 4.5. Making it hard if you just want to read issues that just relate to 1.4 patch or just to 1.4.

People like you munataros talking stupid like its sacrilige to put it in a new thread. Stranger doesn't mind it, but some **** just can't see it. Sorry it just really pisses me off how pissy certain people got about the idea of putting content related to dwiggs 1.4 patch in a new thread.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 01-08-2007 @ 09:14 PM).]

posted 01-08-07 10:47 PM EDT (US)     1850 / 2994  
TP,

I really can't see anything offensive posted by Munataros here, so please confine your comments for this thread to what occurs in this thread

posted 01-08-07 10:54 PM EDT (US)     1851 / 2994  
Itīs healthy to get pissed once in a while.

Elfs get the horserider os. on some version which were good enough for 2nd lvl. Rangers can go over water and mountains afair and move 36 + concealment which can be pretty deadly but as we know dwiggs games are more friendly and some donīt want always fastclick everyones cap when their army moves out, even if they can. Sure they can get +1def and xtra strike if thatīs needed, rangers just seem pretty lonely riders, not meant to be as main army and when comes the real place they prove their talents. So leadership 2 could be better idea.

Normally it donīt matter what units get on gold medal if they are that weak that they die easy on qc and u donīt have conqueror. Just that there is so many fixes needed to balance units on all races and canīt really be done, so better focus on important things like gardening but itīs not that important either.

Maker of MP Mod 1.8
posted 01-08-07 11:26 PM EDT (US)     1852 / 2994  
Horse rider os.?

Your right, they are lone rider types so leadership would make no sense.(they aren't all Aragorn, not that he was interested much in leading anyways) But they should be able to handle themselves in melee combat is ever so wrong for their theme and for their usefulness in game. One more def and an extra strike isn't even enough for that but every bit helps. If we wanted to make it more like the resist of a lancer, we could but then maybe consider a price increase, or maybe not. As it is now they need units or city walls to hide behind to be useful in combat and thats soo wrong.

They should be quick (extra strike) at least as quick as wildblades.

If getting them to gold is not a issue then you should be good with them getting control animal at gold. It would fit in well with the ranger theme.

Also lancers need at least a 1 bump in def. They cost a little more then wildblades (making it harder to one turn them) but not as good, too easy to bump off with 4 def. At least they have higher resistance of 10.

---------------------------

Good to get angry ever so often? Thats good because I'm pretty angry at stranger too. He got fed up with dealing with his own mod so he ignores all feedback now it seems, even email. And he won't even help me fix the wrong name in dwiggs thing I'm sick of seeing the wrong names.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 01-09-2007 @ 04:58 AM).]

posted 01-09-07 00:33 AM EDT (US)     1853 / 2994  
"I'm pretty angry at stranger too. He got fed up with dealing with his own mod so he ignores all feedback now it seems, even email. And he won't even help me fix the wrong name in dwiggs thing"

Might want to try easing up on the demanding attitude.

posted 01-09-07 04:08 AM EDT (US)     1854 / 2994  
Thanks tigran, gee what ever could I do without that.

If you didn't notice I didn't make any demands. Its called a complaint not a demand.

posted 01-09-07 02:52 PM EDT (US)     1855 / 2994  
TP--
You need to lighten up a little, man. Not everyone is likely to think that your issues, whatever they may be today, are quite as compelling as you seem to think they are.

Stranger has busted his hump on the Dwiggs project; he has PRODUCED a mod that enriches the AoW universe.

What, pray tell us, have you ever produced that has enriched the AoW universe? Other than being one of the more prolific complainers and nitpickers, just what is your basis for your belief that whatever you feel like bitching about today is important?

Produce something original on your own, or contribute in some meaningful way to a successful collaboration and then you will have some credentials that might warrant your favorite peeve getting attention.

You remind me of someone that has never built a house telling a builder how he did it wrong.

Practitioner of Whimsy
posted 01-09-07 06:56 PM EDT (US)     1856 / 2994  
Stranger did alot of great work [stop]
That was never in doubt [stop]

I just wanted to gently chide him about the ignored feedback understanding why he'd get tired but upset by the totality of it.

And express my disappointment that he has yet to help me get dwiggs names to show right. I suppose its too much to ask for tech help with getting dwiggs to work right?

If you have issues about 'my issues', if you nitpick and complain about 'my nitpick and complain' then you need to look up a little word called irony.

And for your information my feedback and prolific ideas has enriched dwiggs IMO. It certainly has been used in many places that people have liked. As well I play alot which provides people to play against which keeps people around. Make my own mod? Maybe, but wouldn't that require more bravado then contributing to an existing mod? Do we need more mods? Plus its too hard to make a new mod better then dwiggs. I'd like to see you do it kaskoid.

You don't want me to complain about not getting help with wrong names? You don't think I should be able to get help with such a issue from stranger? Get stuffed. Stranger has a right to not help me, I have a right to complain. But it might be a simple example of oversight from him as a result of burn out from making the mod. Or maybe he managed to miss my repeated requests for help. I don't know.

I have not insulted stranger, yet you to attempt to dogpile me with nastiness. Its not needed or called for. I have heard your criticism and insults of me and replied so please feel free to butt out now.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 01-09-2007 @ 07:13 PM).]

posted 01-09-07 10:47 PM EDT (US)     1857 / 2994  
TP said:
____________________________________________________________ _____________________________
"Make my own mod? Maybe, but wouldn't that require more bravado then contributing to an existing mod?"
____________________________________________________________ _____________________________________

No. It would require imagination and creativity.

TP said:_______________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ _
"I just wanted to gently chide him about the ignored feedback understanding why he'd get tired but upset by the totality of it."
"If you have issues about 'my issues', if you nitpick and complain about 'my nitpick and complain' then you need to look up a little word called irony."
____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ ________

One of the accepted meanings of irony (from Dictionary.com) is:
...an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.
The irony is that your incessant harping and postings are a good reason he might be tired and upset. You complain about stuff more than any other two people on this forum.

TP, I have produced my games BITD and have no need or desire to do any new ones now. Some of the work I did back then laid the groundwork that enabled us to have this conversation in this forum even now.

If you choose to believe that your ideas have contributed to Dwiggs and enriched it, and that your making yourself available to play against is in some way contributing to the continuance of this game, go ahead. You can believe in your own mind anything you like.

But don't expect me to "butt out"; you wish. Just read the first and last lines on my signature.

Practitioner of Whimsy
posted 01-10-07 01:08 AM EDT (US)     1858 / 2994  

Quote:

It would require imagination and creativity.

And bravado that says you can make better then existing. Bravado isn't necessarily a bad word btw.

BITD?

Quote:

If you choose to believe that your ideas have contributed to Dwiggs and enriched it, and that your making yourself available to play against is in some way contributing to the continuance of this game, go ahead.

You disagree? Fine then, have the curtesy to keep it to yourself. I don't need you flaming me/whining about what faults you think you see in me or how you think I'm a nobody whos contributed nothing. As it is I got people who don't like me, and people who like me just fine and enjoy what I have to say (even if they dont necessarily agree with me) and playing with me.

You self righteous prick. I don't care if you build AoWsm by yourself from scratch for free (which you didn't of course) If stranger says hes upset by my short and singular complaint over lack of help concerning the wrong names in dwiggs then I were to say something. By all means go on your tirade. Till then your not contributing anything but noise & flaming.

Speaking of which, if you still feel a need to go on a tirade about me, fine I'll try my best to ignore your baiting. I'll be the bigger person then. (with exception perhaps of an occassional disclaimer against your slander)

P.S. @Stranger, I'm truely sorry if I've burnt you out with excess suggestions. Though apparently its not possible to be more annoyed by it then kaskoid.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 01-10-2007 @ 01:28 AM).]

posted 01-10-07 01:16 AM EDT (US)     1859 / 2994  
TP,

BITD = Back in the Day
OS = Or something

And use this http://www.acronymfinder.com/

Ps. do not make own mod

Maker of MP Mod 1.8
posted 01-10-07 01:29 AM EDT (US)     1860 / 2994  
"Its called a complaint not a demand."

Your complaints have an insistent tone and you get "angry" when you don't get more attention. There's a fine line between being a fan and pestering. Actually that "angry" comment seems a little creepy almost. Have you seen or read "Misery" by Stephen King? Yeah I'm imagining you showing up at Stranger's front door one day and telling him how angry you are...

These guys aren't obligated to give you personal tech support so there's no justification to get angry.

"I have a right to complain"

Not to the point where it's personal and badgering.

"I have not insulted stranger, yet you to attempt to dogpile me with nastiness. Its not needed or called for. I have heard your criticism and insults of me"

If it was me I'd feel insulted. There's a thing called "tact" which your posts often lack. Anyway you probably mean well. Just like we do. Just think of yourself as a mod, and we're trying to suggest helpful improvements

[This message has been edited by tigen (edited 01-10-2007 @ 01:34 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 61 62 63 64 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » General Discussion & Suggestions » Stranger's Dwigg Mod
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames