Please login or register

General Discussion & Suggestions
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Auto Movement should default to Off
posted 06-24-02 10:44 AM EDT (US)   
One of the only "annoying" things cited in the recent review at The-Trades.com was the movement of units:

Quote:

There are a few minor quirks in the engine that get very annoying. The biggest is probably in the movement of units. More often then not I found myself sending units all in the wrong places because the game did not take focus off of the unit after it had finished moving so I end up directing it to move the next turn to some weird location. But otherwise the game was relatively smooth in its execution.

Sound like the reviewer didn't know he could turn off the "auto move" in the gameplay options. For someone who labels himself as a "true gamer" who "delves right in without reading the manual," I would think giving the game options menu a quick once-over should be automatic. I often dive right into a game and mess around a little bit without checking the manual too, but I always check the Options menu.

Anyway, my point was that perhaps the "auto move" feature should default to "OFF" when starting up. I recall this being a common question on the beta demo forums, one that was asked and answered many, many times. Anything that assumes player actions or takes away a small amount of control (like the auto move function) can be confusing to new players. Let them choose to turn it on later after they're more comfortable with the feature or the gameplay.

Replies:
posted 06-24-02 11:38 AM EDT (US)     1 / 5  
Yes, auto movement will be off in the patch.
posted 06-24-02 03:33 PM EDT (US)     2 / 5  
I, for one, LOVE automovement! I found it to be a godsend!

My roomie didn't like it so much at first, but it just took her a second to adjust to the idea that if you don't want the stack to move automatically next turn, click "Done"

In my opinion, particularly for a hotseat game, it speeds up gameplay by several degrees of magnitude!

Besides! From what I hear, there's already a gameplay option to turn it off, isn't there? Maybe have the gameplay options be included with the "Advanced Options" when you're putting together your scenario?

I find that the auto-move is a very nice feature, which means you can keep more of an eye on the strategy of the game. In the original AOW, I found myself wondering what I was doing with some of my stacks from time to time, since automove WASN'T there!

An alternative for those people who don't like it: The automove button. Have a button that runs through all your armies and follows their current move orders. That way, if someone doesn't like it, they don't have to press the button, and for those of us who do, it's there for us!

Thanks for listening!!!

posted 06-24-02 04:15 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5  
Now come on, it took me untill Water to notice that I could turn off automove.

Actually, what I would like to see is a kind of 'Automove Stack' button. I know it's a lot to ask, a whole button and all.

Basically, my problem is that Automove in gameplay settings causes too many problems with units moving where I wouldn't want them to go. That's off for sure. But, without automove, it becomes a hassle to move units across the board. Every turn when that unit pops up, I go figure out where they were going, and have to click it again (I suppose I could just move them a little each turn, but the units are a lot better at figuring out the shortest path than I, and besides, who says I won't want a stack to go somewhere, but forget where it was going two moves later? )

It would be nice to have a little button that causes the currently selected stack to automove for the current turn, wouldn't it?

posted 06-24-02 04:28 PM EDT (US)     4 / 5  
Stoel. Press "M" on the keyboard.
posted 06-25-02 03:33 PM EDT (US)     5 / 5  
I love you so much Valamir
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » General Discussion & Suggestions » Auto Movement should default to Off
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames