You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Slugfest King of the Hill Mini-Tourney (Info/Results)
posted 08-28-01 09:31 AM EDT (US)   
As you may recall, the Slugfest King of the Hill Mini-Tourney involves 4 games and 16 players. The agreement was that the 4 winners (one from each game) would proceed into a final game to determine the tourney winner. The order of race selection for the final game will be determined randomly after the 4 finalists have been decided.

Here is a little review of the current status of all games:

Game 1
1 - Unicorn of the Humans
2 - Frogman of the Orcs (WINNER)
3 - Kanter of the Dwarves
4 - Guvmint Helper of the Frostlings
Game 1 is already complete, and we have a wiener! In Frogman's own words, "I think I played pretty well considering the map was unknown and I knew some teleporter tricks that helped but I did get some breaks. The biggest was when the frostlings lost two very strong heroes to the humans. Even though the humans won they were down to one hero so through no effort of mine 3 of the 8 human heroes were killed. The dwarf heroes were short on items and split up, that was the other big break. From there all I had to do was be careful." Congrats to Frogman!

Game 2
1 - Roger the Rampant of the Elves
2 - Caitiff of the Azracs
3 - Waterfly of the Dwarves (WINNER)
4 - Spawn of the Frostlings
I'm not sure who is doing well here. The Azracs appear to have lost a powerful hero, and the Elves seem to be doing poorly despite their excessively high morale. The Dwarves claim to have everything under control in this one! edit: Congrats to Waterfly of the Dwarves who did indeed win this one in the end!

Game 3
1 - Morbius J of the Elves
2 - Thunder of the Orcs
3 - Sleet of the Goblins
4 - Cshort of the Frostlings
Due to technical difficulties involving a game crash, I fear I will have to restart this game from the Dawn of Day 1.

Game 4
1 - Draco of the Humans
2 - Queen Elquein of the Orcs (WINNER)
3 - Nojd of the Dwarves
4 - Cay of the Highmen
Well, this one was over almost as soon as it began! The Humans were out of contention on Day 2 after losing both of their heroes to the Orcs. The same plight befell the Dwarves on Day 4 and the Highmen on Day 6! The Dwarves may still have a chance, but my money is on the Orcs to mop this one up faster than Frogman did in Game 1! edit: Well, it's only a few days later (game time), and the Humans, Dwarves and Highmen really must concede -- this one is over, and congrats go to Elquein who will face Frogman and others in the final.

Final Match
1 - Frogman of the Humans
2 - Queen Elquein of the Azracs
3 - Waterfly of the Lizardmen
4 - Sleet of the Frostlings

Good luck to all those who are still playing, and I hope everyone is having fun -- even if they're not winning!

Cheers,
-Cay

Cay
CayMack on Xbox LIVE, PlayStation Network, and Steam. CayMack#1436 on BattleNet.
Visit: TrueAchievements|TrueTrophies

[This message has been edited by Cay (edited 11-12-2001 @ 11:41 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-28-01 03:26 PM EDT (US)     1 / 29  
Congrats to Frogman! Whom I believe has won every slugfest game he's ever played in.

I always seem to get my heroes killed in these games b/c I'm a lot more reckless than in a normal PBEM game.

posted 08-28-01 03:41 PM EDT (US)     2 / 29  
Congrats Frogman!

I know what you mean Draco, same thing happened in a Goldrush game I am in. Lost all 3 hereos in 2 turns. Major suffering but am slwoly clawing my way back up (for now anyway).

posted 08-30-01 08:18 AM EDT (US)     3 / 29  
As most of the SKotH games have progressed to a point where all players can see the layout of the map, I have decided to upload the map to the AOWH server. Slugfest King of the Hill v1.0 is now available for download in a ZIP file which contains 3-, 6- and 12-player versions of the map.

Cheers,
-Cay

Cay
CayMack on Xbox LIVE, PlayStation Network, and Steam. CayMack#1436 on BattleNet.
posted 08-30-01 08:28 AM EDT (US)     4 / 29  
I think it's safe to say that the dwarves are in the lead in our game, but there's no telling how it will turn out as of yet.
posted 09-07-01 01:24 PM EDT (US)     5 / 29  
Bringing this up - i didnt see it before because of my short vacations.
Our game will take some more while - but we make a good turnaround of 1 Day per Day.
While im leading because of my hero being much higher level he still isnt immune to dragons that should be around to recruit. Caitiff and Spawn wont hurt each other while they is a chance for them to surprise me (or get lucky) - so i have to play it carefully defending my back while advancing on one of them.....
posted 09-07-01 04:08 PM EDT (US)     6 / 29  
Of course I accept that people who like being picky and prickly might have a problem understanding this concept, but some of us actually ENJOY playing Aow. Even when we're losing, we still have fun playing against quality players, and hopefully learning in the process. We don't necessarily WANT to be all serious and gloomy . As people everywhere that are losing tend to say, it's only a game!

Always look on the bright side of life, de de de de deeeh..........

posted 09-08-01 02:18 PM EDT (US)     7 / 29  
I found the map on the downloads section and have rated it !!!
There are many people playing SKotH so with any luck the map should get more ratings and maybe start a trend where people rate the maps they play.

Yeah I sulk when I lose but as far as Im concerned thats losers perrogative.Winners are allowed to be smug gits losers are allowed to sulk

Crash

posted 10-01-01 08:42 AM EDT (US)     8 / 29  
Draco, Nojd and myself have effectively conceded the match to Elquein. Congrats Dear! However, we are now going to join forces just for fun and see if the 3 of us can do some damage as allies against her.

Cheers,
-Cay

Cay
posted 10-02-01 00:57 AM EDT (US)     9 / 29  
posted 10-02-01 04:27 AM EDT (US)     10 / 29  
I think all players in game 2 agree that Waterfly is definitely the winner, but we are continuing a little longer until the Elf heroes die in a blaze of patriotic glory

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 10-02-01 11:38 AM EDT (US)     11 / 29  
posted 10-02-01 07:43 PM EDT (US)     12 / 29  
If they can't get the game in, I suggest we take a winner from one of the other games that were started at around the same time. Did any of them finish up?
posted 10-02-01 09:00 PM EDT (US)     13 / 29  
You all could just do a 3-way with the AI tossed in for spice.

Hmmmmmmm...that could be taken the wrong way.

posted 10-02-01 09:37 PM EDT (US)     14 / 29  
In looking over the threads I see that JAT won his slugfest game. Sleet also won a game but was playing against some others who were already in one of the "tourny games". Sleet or JAT is fine with me. They both demonstrated a victory on the map and I'm sure both would be tough competitors. Either draw straws or come to some agreement. Maybe they could play a blood isles game to determine who goes. This assumes that game 3 is dead. If they are underway without major delays I have no problem waiting. The tourny games are keeping me busy enough.

[This message has been edited by Frogman (edited 10-02-2001 @ 09:42 PM).]

posted 10-03-01 03:11 AM EDT (US)     15 / 29  
I definitely won game 2 as Rogers last 3 heroes vanished today and only the 1lv cities left for him. We didnt even use our lv19 hero for that.
Thankx for the nice game guys and looking forward to the next round, especially one with Frogman... he already "educated" my craftship some more in the other tourney!
posted 10-14-01 12:53 PM EDT (US)     16 / 29  
What is happening here?
The last game has died again - since 16 days no postings any more.....
I'd like to hear from Cay how we get the forth player!
Sleet and JAT could also play a deathmatch on the small tourney map. Or will we play with the 6players version and each of us will control 2 races?
posted 10-14-01 02:06 PM EDT (US)     17 / 29  
How about a 3-way between Frogman, Elquein and Waterfly on the 3P version of the map? I can assign the races randomly and start the game as soon as I hear back.

Cheers,
-Cay

Cay
posted 10-15-01 00:23 AM EDT (US)     18 / 29  
The way the teleporters are set up, we really need 4 to balance it. I vote for sleet or JAT, both of whom have a slugfest win to be the fourth. With the tourny going on, I have been in no rush to start this up.
posted 10-15-01 01:40 AM EDT (US)     19 / 29  
So lets take JAT or Sleet......
posted 10-15-01 07:56 AM EDT (US)     20 / 29  
Um, Frogman, there are 3P, 6P and 12P versions of the map. Playing Waterfly, Frogman and Elquein on the 3P version would be fine IMO. Basically, it is a variant of the 12P version where each player controls 4 races.

Also, I thought a 3P game would move faster than a 4P game, which may or may not be a good thing!

However, if you want to add Sleet or JAT, then you could have a 4-way on the 12P version.

Cheers,
-Cay

Cay
posted 10-16-01 01:12 PM EDT (US)     21 / 29  
Cay, I dont like the 3player version of the map - because I think the chance factor is too much.
Whoever gets "enchant weapon" on Day1 can equip the eagles with it and on Day2 can cast stoneskin also before sending them off....
In this version it means the player could catch ALL 4 gold deposits.

Also the Orcs could benefit from fighting of the other 2 races eagles before.....

When you control only 1 quarter of the map the other can compensate but not being behind everywhere.....

As Frogman and I have stated, we prefer JAT or Sleet as a 4th player and our Queen seems to comment rarely due to work load but wont mind another opponent as she seeks a challenge always. Please ask them and decide on the modus of choice!

posted 10-16-01 01:43 PM EDT (US)     22 / 29  
Okay Waterfly, I'll toss a coin or something to decide between Sleet and JAT. I'll set up a 4-player PBEM on the 12P map with races assigned randomly, and send it out. I'll make sure that everyone gets the same race alignment (maybe neutral).

After that I'll fix the 3P map based on your comments -- I hadn't recognized those problems previously.

Thanks,
-Cay

Cay
posted 11-07-01 09:39 PM EDT (US)     23 / 29  
Well glad to be in the King of the Hill match all! Good luck!

Cheers,

Sleet

P.S. I really like this map. Good job Cay.

posted 02-13-02 03:34 AM EDT (US)     24 / 29  
posted 02-13-02 08:48 AM EDT (US)     25 / 29  
I think Queen Elquein had some problems, and to be honest, I think she is not a reliable pbem player. A very good player to be sure, and she had been a good contributor to the community, but she has had one problem or another and turns can sit for weeks in her inbox.

I give her credit though, she used the same quick strike strategy that worked in her first game with Nojd and company and she killed both my heroes at day 3 or 4. I usually don't get caught like that, especially when the looking ponds should have warned me.

As it stands, I think the 3 of us would have to ally against her now to stop her and it may be too late. She has a dominating hero and is picking up the surface stacks. I think it has been a month or more since I saw the game though.

posted 02-13-02 11:17 AM EDT (US)     26 / 29  
Well, she had an edge, but there still is a good chance of beating her, dominator or not.
She changed her system to XP and wasnt able to play since...
As she hasnt told us,l she is trying at all to bring the game back again, maybe someone good can replace her, like Kris or you, Draco.
posted 02-13-02 03:36 PM EDT (US)     27 / 29  
I think replacements in Tourney games takes some of the thrill and magic out of it.

I was impressed by El's play in the tourney so far and she whipped my butt early. If I replaced her, it would be a totally different game.

The harsh realities of the Play By Emailer.... abandonment, defeat, lack of closure.

posted 02-19-02 01:14 PM EDT (US)     28 / 29  
Well what do you know, I've finally got my XP work properly. Hurray for that! Everything runs smoothly now...well as smoothly as things can run on Windows.

And even my life seems to be on the right tracks now, funerals are over and most of my problems should be gone. I'm going to move tomorrow, I'm sick of this old place. I'll only lose my connection for few days though. After that, things should be back to normal.

I dont know what's the situation with this game anymore, I still have the turn that I got long ago...heh. But if you have replaced me, then that cant be helped. So if you think you can trust me to play...

Think about it for few days. Ta ta for now.

- All you need is love -

The Wizards of Creation

posted 04-23-02 09:58 PM EDT (US)     29 / 29  
I have no idea what happened to this tourney, but I'm "unsticking" it.
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » Slugfest King of the Hill Mini-Tourney (Info/Results)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames