Please login or register

AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Something I think needs to be done
posted 03-22-02 10:33 PM EDT (US)   
I think that alot of people would like it if Age of Wonders II was made for PS2 XBOX and GCN. Becuase Peoples computers that are to slow will be very dissapointed and Its happened to me when I sart playing a new game the meets the min. requirement and somthing goes wrong and me keyboard almost ends up in 2 peices.

*sits back waiting till the day when AOW2 will be on his GCN.

Replies:
posted 03-22-02 11:51 PM EDT (US)     1 / 15  
Well, first it has got to do extremely well finacially in the PC market before I think Triumph would ever fathom to put it on console.
posted 03-23-02 02:40 AM EDT (US)     2 / 15  
Yes, we're going to focus on finishing the PC version, before evaluating future hatching eggs...

Josh Farley
Programmer
Triumph Studios
posted 03-23-02 02:43 AM EDT (US)     3 / 15  
I think putting it on a console would be a waste of time. It's just not the type of game a "console" type of person is going to be wanting.
posted 03-23-02 04:15 AM EDT (US)     4 / 15  
I agree with TalonThorn, most console gamers want "instant action" without the hassle of setting "complicated options", not the type of in-depth gameplay of AoW1 & 2.

Even console RPG's like the Zelda series on Nintendo's consoles don't have any (or very little) character customisability, little freedom to go your own special way. That's something that you find mostly in PC games. Of course there are always exceptions, but this is the norm.

"I wanna be Sultan instead of the Sultan!" - Grand Vizier Iznoghoud, 2nd and honoured member of the BTOOIC (Buildable Teleporters Off Option in Cities)
Admin of the BTOOIC site and forum.

[This message has been edited by Iznoghoud (edited 03-23-2002 @ 04:19 AM).]

posted 03-25-02 04:30 AM EDT (US)     5 / 15  
Hmm... I think You have never seen Ogre Tactics or Final Fantasy Tactics on PSX - its very hard to say "instant action" about them I think the worst thing about consoles is lack of mouse (I don't know how about the new ones) - managing your army is sooooo painful with four keys (and there are not even letters on them

Jader

posted 03-25-02 01:15 PM EDT (US)     6 / 15  

Quoted from jader:

Hmm... I think You have never seen Ogre Tactics or Final Fantasy Tactics on PSX - its very hard to say "instant action" about them

No, I haven't actually, I was just speaking from the little experience I have with console RPG's and strategy games. As I said there are always exceptions, but I still think they are few and far between. And making a custom map for a strategy game I have never seen on a console. But that might change with the new consoles that have a hard disk.

"I wanna be Sultan instead of the Sultan!" - Grand Vizier Iznoghoud, 2nd and honoured member of the BTOOIC (Buildable Teleporters Off Option in Cities)

[This message has been edited by Iznoghoud (edited 03-25-2002 @ 01:16 PM).]

posted 03-25-02 02:52 PM EDT (US)     7 / 15  
I'd have to agree with the "instant action" feeling of consoles.

Compare the Baldur's Gate series for PC and the Baldur's Gate game released for the XBOX (Baldur's Gate: Dark Allaiance).

BG: DA was very "Diabloesq" in that you had a single character who ran around and basically killed stuff. Yes, there was a story. Yes, there were rpg "elements," but it was very action oriented and a completely different experience from the BG series for the PC. It was a lot like how the game NOX for the PC was.

posted 03-25-02 05:03 PM EDT (US)     8 / 15  
I liked NOX for it's action and it's cool way of control. It was nice to play through for once for every class, but I found it a pity that literally everything was fixed, you couldn't decide what stats you wanted to improve. There were only 10 levelups, and the new stats for every level were also fixed. The replay value is very low, everything is exactly the same when you play the same class again. NOX would have been something for a console, actually.

So, I hope that in AoW2 it will be possible to go your own way and become a different type of wizard every time you play the campaign, rather than just become an über-wizard with all possible skills, fighing stats and spells.

posted 03-26-02 10:00 AM EDT (US)     9 / 15  

Quote:

So, I hope that in AoW2 it will be possible to go your own way and become a different type of wizard every time you play the campaign, rather than just become an über-wizard with all possible skills, fighing stats and spells.

Your hopes will be fulfilled.

I read it somewhere, trust me

posted 03-26-02 10:02 AM EDT (US)     10 / 15  
I found it somewhere, see?

Quoted from Lennart Sas:

LS: There is a whole new class of skills. With more focus on the main player character, the Wizard, new skills and traits are introduced, and they determine what kind of an overlord the player really is. The skills of the Age of Wonders II wizards are more geared toward magic and leadership, while heroes remain the champions of the battlefield. Skills define a Wizards' personality, allowing them to become a decadent merchant, a dictatorial conqueror, a bureaucratic peacekeeper, etc. Furthermore, magical skills are more diverse, making some wizards better at summoning, while others research faster, and so forth.

posted 03-26-02 11:48 AM EDT (US)     11 / 15  
Thanks, swolte! I now remember I read the piece you found, but I guess I had forgotten already.

posted 03-26-02 05:55 PM EDT (US)     12 / 15  

Quote:

Hmm... I think You have never seen Ogre Tactics or Final Fantasy Tactics on PSX - its very hard to say "instant action" about them I think the worst thing about consoles is lack of mouse (I don't know how about the new ones) - managing your army is sooooo painful with four keys (and there are not even letters on them.

Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my top three PSX titles of all time. But it worked because it was designed with consoles in mind. A console version of AoW2 would not be successful (played Civ II on the PSX? Yeeeeuuuck). It would be cumbersome with the controller in a world were ease of play is a must. Sure, you could recommend everyone get a console mouse, but then the devs would be entering Genesis-32X-Peripheral Hell. Add atrocious load times and likely poor sales performance and you've got one big waste of dev time and money better spent on the expansion pack.

I keep my PSX2 around when I need a twitch fix. If I want depth and strategy, the 'pooter is the only way to go.

[This message has been edited by Leonidas (edited 03-26-2002 @ 05:56 PM).]

posted 03-27-02 07:20 PM EDT (US)     13 / 15  
Though what has been said is true, running someting like aow2 would be cumbersome and slow, I feel that there is a great many console genralisations which seem to rear their heads. I own PC and ps2 and being a poor student had to make the decision to either upgrade computer or buy a console. In the long run I thought a console would be better, as developers squeeze the max out of existing console technology before moving on, where as PC games developers often seem to work with cutting edge technology, before the rest of the not-so-rich world has time to upgrade. Though I often use my ps2 for arcade games, it is only games with depth and longetivity which draw my money. Though there is not an extensive range at present, the psone was on the right track with games like Warhammer Shadow of the horned rat/dark omen. Suppose what iam trying to say is, though the real deep strategy games and RPG's are left to the PC, it would be nice if consoles were not completely overlooked in this area... and maybe even (please, please, please) a few original games with depth and replay value developed for them!

PS. I am aware of developers having to make money, by targeting certain audiences which tend to use certain formats.
PPS. if developers saw consoles as lower end pc's couldn't they just convert some lower spec games? For example, when I first bought AoW, my pc ran it perfectly, which wasn't bad considering that my PS2 would, at the time, have been more powerful.

[This message has been edited by Dusty Beard (edited 03-27-2002 @ 07:26 PM).]

posted 03-27-02 08:39 PM EDT (US)     14 / 15  
Another console game that is VERY deep is Front Mission 3. It has 2 full seperate 75 hour (!) storylines. As well as HUGE custimizability, you can build your own mech, develop your pilots the way you want, AND there is a wealth of background information of the Front Mission universe. All this and a fake "email" feature.
posted 03-28-02 05:40 AM EDT (US)     15 / 15  
thanx for the tip keebler!
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies » Something I think needs to be done
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames