Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: New Preview
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 03-19-02 10:17 AM EDT (US)   
I want to see one now, badly!

PS. I that a tidewave coming or is it just you guys drooling?

Replies:
posted 03-19-02 12:02 PM EDT (US)     1 / 54  
It was me drooling at least. I agree, I really want to see another preview with lots of info, lots of screenshots, etc. Devs, show your game to some more press please...

Wazz, did you show AoW2 to Power Unlimited? I want a (p)review in Power Unlimited. (btw, Power Unlimited is a Dutch Game Magazine for all you people wondering what I am talking about)

"I wanna be Sultan instead of the Sultan!" - Grand Vizier Iznoghoud, 2nd and honoured member of the BTOOIC (Buildable Teleporters Off Option in Cities)
Admin of the BTOOIC site and forum.
posted 03-19-02 12:57 PM EDT (US)     2 / 54  
I found one!

It's in italian and I'm not really sure on the date but it contains some nice closeups on a Tigran hero riding a tiger, that I never have seen before. Lots of other screenshots as well.

http://www.multiplayer.it/articoli.php3?id=2403

[This message has been edited by Fisenflycht (edited 03-19-2002 @ 01:24 PM).]

posted 03-19-02 01:38 PM EDT (US)     3 / 54  
The Hero has Att 11 and Res 11, has any of the developer's already said something about the restricitions in raising stats?

And the text in one of the screenshots of the preview is as following:

"Cavalry attacks infantry"

Do we know about the classes that are displayed here; maybe the 'tactics' some of us are promoting (Lord Dragatus)

Just wondering

Morituros Ego Saluto
posted 03-19-02 01:43 PM EDT (US)     4 / 54  
The new maximum for most stats is 20.
posted 03-19-02 01:44 PM EDT (US)     5 / 54  
So what about the tactics?

Morituros Ego Saluto
posted 03-19-02 03:08 PM EDT (US)     6 / 54  
Hmm...maybe there are different classes, or maybe Cavalry and Infantry simply are the names of the human units...

Btw, one screen shows a "Water mill" being captured. Wonder what that is useful for?

And we have Crossbowmen!

posted 03-19-02 04:08 PM EDT (US)     7 / 54  
I think crossbowmen and more of the "advanced" technical stuff take away a bit of the fantasy atmosphere I liked in Age of Wonders 1.

The emphasis in AoW2 is supposed to be more towards magic, and I don't like it if they're going to mix it with more of the "normal" medieval stuff. Dwarves having weird technology is allright with me, but I won't like it if there are going to be too many Age of Kings like units in it for the humans. I do trust the devs won't do that.

Anyway, I can live with the crossbowmen, but I hope they won't go further than that.

Just my 2c.

"I wanna be Sultan instead of the Sultan!" - Grand Vizier Iznoghoud, 2nd and honoured member of the BTOOIC (Buildable Teleporters Off Option in Cities)
posted 03-19-02 04:20 PM EDT (US)     8 / 54  
Thank you Fisenflycht!
I was dreaming about this.
Can you find more?
btw the preview is old: 04-02-02
Great screens, although you can see they are quite old.
always in for new screenshots, but anybody can translate it or tell if anything new is in it?

Also, Wazzz, Give us a preview in the best Belgian/Dutch magazine PC Gameplay, let them do a beta test! They already did a few previews on aow2(did you read them?) and they are also aow fans.
(Power Unlimited sucks)

posted 03-19-02 04:23 PM EDT (US)     9 / 54  
Speaking of crossbowmen, how about it that "Enchant Weapon" also adds +1 attack, damage and magic damage to archers, crossbowmen and other ranged attackers? I found it quite illogical in AoW that you could only enchant weapon melee units.

Edit: Power Unlimited hasn't said anything about AoW2 yet, so I think it's their turn now. And let's not let this turn into an argument over which one (PC Gamer or PU) is better. Everyone his/her own favorite Gaming Magazine.

[This message has been edited by Iznoghoud (edited 03-19-2002 @ 04:28 PM).]

posted 03-20-02 03:59 AM EDT (US)     10 / 54  
The last dutch review I say was in the GameQuest but that was nothing special.
About them doing a beta test, well I just don't know. Sorry
Flippy the stoned hedgehog - new unit!

KOYAANISQATSI (From The Hopi Language)
1. Crazy Life. 2. Life In Turmoil.
3. Life Disintegrating. 4. Life Out Of Balance.
5. A State Of Life That Calls For Another Way Of Living.
6. Greatest Movie Ever Made.
posted 03-20-02 06:39 AM EDT (US)     11 / 54  
Thanks Fisenflycht,

Icedrake rider
Yes!!! Icedrake rider has Fire vulnerability!
Will be getting used to these transparent units behind buildings/ towers, though + Notice the height differences!
Good pics!

Does anyone know (and can tell) what that "man 50/50" means?

Swolte

posted 03-20-02 08:48 AM EDT (US)     12 / 54  
Mana 50\50

He's a hero and not aregular unit if you want my opinion. Jafsar (the tiger rider hero in the other screenshot) has the same "man 50\50" skill.

(...A flying spell-casting hero!! I feel someone is going to complain!)

[This message has been edited by Black Knight (edited 03-20-2002 @ 08:58 AM).]

posted 03-20-02 08:54 AM EDT (US)     13 / 54  
No,
don't believe it's a Hero!
1. it has no name
2. no frostling icedrake unit, then??

Admit it.
Swolte

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 03-20-2002 @ 09:00 AM).]

posted 03-20-02 08:59 AM EDT (US)     14 / 54  
I bet.

It's a hero like the dragon hero in Masters of Magic. And has no name because none knows his real name (like in a cheesy spaghetti western)... and yes there are ice drakes (we have seen the screenshots), but I don't think they are "frostling", I guess they are more connected to the air sphere of magic.

[This message has been edited by Black Knight (edited 03-20-2002 @ 09:13 AM).]

posted 03-20-02 09:09 AM EDT (US)     15 / 54  
Sure, like this Goblin wyvern-rider is a unit bound to the sphere of fire???

Your hopeless arguments prove my point.

Swolte

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 03-20-2002 @ 09:15 AM).]

posted 03-20-02 09:11 AM EDT (US)     16 / 54  
You are exposing yourself to a public humiliation

A goblin wyvern rider is a military unit that can be produced in a city, like a horseman it rides a trained animal... but a dragon or a drake will be considered a magic unit and must be summoned in order to be used (it has no rider and it's far too smart to be trained).

Our "Drake-Rider" on the other hand doesn't fit this military-magic logic, but since it has man(a) points I bet you it can only be a hero (...moreover the rider doesn't look like a regular frostling, like those mounting wolves and mammoths!).

...It's name "drake rider" points out the fact that he is a very special hero, maybe the only one who can ride dragons... Have I figured out something that was supposed to be a surprise? Are there many special heroes like that one in AOW2? ...I think so! (Regarding Jafsar maybe he is the only tiger riding hero in the game, or more probably all Tigran heroes ride tigers instad than horses)...

What is sure is that the possible existence of a flying AND spell-casting hero can be a little scandal for certain forumers I know! (EH EH)

We'll see!

[This message has been edited by Black Knight (edited 03-20-2002 @ 09:58 AM).]

posted 03-20-02 10:01 AM EDT (US)     17 / 54  
And it seems to be pretty frostly with his friends in here???????

Finally... (Oh please, dare touch this link!)

Then how about your cavalry hero???????

Admit it, man. It just doesn't make sense.
Don't make it any worse for yourself.

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 03-20-2002 @ 10:02 AM).]

posted 03-20-02 10:20 AM EDT (US)     18 / 54  
I don't see anything that disproves my theory here ...? (great shots anyway)
posted 03-20-02 10:30 AM EDT (US)     19 / 54  
OMG!!!
Look closer...

(I'll be going out for some vegetable shopping now, when I get back you must have seen any defense is futile!)

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 03-20-2002 @ 10:31 AM).]

posted 03-20-02 10:46 AM EDT (US)     20 / 54  
Well... The only question that comes to my mind is ... if that creature is an Icedrake... what the hack is this one??
http://www.cgonline.com/images/features/020220-f1-b18.jpg

I always thought this one was an Icedrake and that it was a summonable-only beast.

Maybe instad the Icedrake is just considered a mount like the wyvern and the one in the above screenshot is the summonable dragon from the air sphere of magic... but isn't the Icedrake a bit too powerful for being a regular unit?

Anyway in the first shot you are showing there is only one Icedrake rider therefore he could be either a hero or a unit. Maybe the rider on the animal does look a bit more like a regular frostlings seen from this angle, but the definition is so bad that it's hard to tell.

And the second shot means what exactly?

posted 03-20-02 11:05 AM EDT (US)     21 / 54  
*Back from shopping*

Still in denial, heh

sigh..
Your picture is the probably summonable ice dragon (=not icedrake rider).
The other is the NOT-hero ordinary frostling icedrake-riderunit because the second cavalry picture shows the stats of the human (non-hero) cavalry which states the same: "man. 50/50"!
Is that a hero too, then.
Face it, this is hard proof!

The question remains: what is that 50/50 man(a)??
And dont tell me its a Hero!!

Swolte

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 03-20-2002 @ 11:19 AM).]

posted 03-20-02 11:17 AM EDT (US)     22 / 54  
Manoeuvrability?

maybe it's a calculation of the "action" points? If not I can only imagine it has to do with the moral (some units are supposed to have negative bonuses for moral in special conditions).

(Still the two "Icedrakes" don't look alike at all... They can't be both Icedrakes!)

[This message has been edited by Black Knight (edited 03-20-2002 @ 11:19 AM).]

posted 03-20-02 11:42 AM EDT (US)     23 / 54  

Quote:

(Still the two "Icedrakes" don't look alike at all... They can't be both Icedrakes!)

Don't make a second mistake now...
We are talking about this icedrake rider and this icedrake rider, right?

Manoeuvrability could be the best explanation so far but my question mark is probably as big as yours with that one...
It remains open to me. I'm gonna sleep on it.

ps:
Would make a nice weekly challenge if the devs would tell the solution on sunday?
swolte

posted 03-20-02 11:59 AM EDT (US)     24 / 54  
How do you tame a drake anyways?It'd probably rather eat you than let you ride it. Perhaps the man 50/50 means some units will have mana now. Or maybe, it doesnt really do anything but sit there and look mysterious so we'll start guessing about what it does.

Or maybe its your hero's mana? i think i read somewhere that you can cast spells on enemies in your domain even if your wizard isnt present in the battle.

[This message has been edited by psykitty (edited 03-20-2002 @ 12:01 PM).]

posted 03-20-02 12:14 PM EDT (US)     25 / 54  
He missed the darter with a nine attack. Ouch!
posted 03-20-02 12:27 PM EDT (US)     26 / 54  
The icedrake riders "ride" looks very different from the icedrake in BK's last post.... strange. Maybe that is a Snow dragon.

And the "man 50/50" is probably the amount of mana the wizard has, and the battles seen in the screenshots are taking place inside his domain...maybe...

posted 03-20-02 03:31 PM EDT (US)     27 / 54  
Not to throw a monkey wrench into things, but doeas anyone else notice that the "MAN 50/50" is on the same line as "UPK" which is presumably gold upkeep? This looks to me like a summoned unit, one with an upkeep cost and perhaps a cost (in the wizard's mana) per attack - it cannot expend more then it upkeep cost per turn. That would go a long way towards limiting the effect of powerful summoned units on the game but be less drastic then the 5mana "dispel" is now. This would particularly help balance out the AI, since as far as I remember I've never seen it think to dispel an enemy's gold/black dragon.
posted 03-20-02 03:50 PM EDT (US)     28 / 54  
Can't stop looking at these screens... One thing I just noted was that the Icedrake rider has the ability "Fire weakness"! Sweet....
posted 03-20-02 04:15 PM EDT (US)     29 / 54  
swolte!!! Get back here! Now!
Where did you get the screenshot anbout the cavalry hero? I have never seen it before! Do you have more of them?

AAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
OHHHHHHHUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! IHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
I'M GOING CRAZY!!! THANKS TO FISENFLYCHT I GOT THE INSPIRATION TO LOOK FOR ANOTHER PREVIEW! AND YOU BET I FOUND ONE!!! IT IS IN ITALIAN ALSO (guess those Italians love AOW2!!) AND IT CONTAINS LIKE 15 OR SO NEW SCREENSHOTS AND ART WITH A LOT OF NEW THINGS IN IT!!!!!! THESE SHOTS HAVE OBVIOUSLY BEEN MADE BY THEMSELVES PLAYING WITH A BETA-VERSION!!
AOW2 IS LOOKING GOOD BABY!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I WANT THIS GAME NOW!!!

HERE'S THE LINK:

The best shots in the world!

posted 03-20-02 05:03 PM EDT (US)     30 / 54  
I totally agree with swolte.
What you people need to understand, is that a drake and a dragon is not the same thing, in most fantasy a drake is considered a "dragon like creature" but not a true dragon (less powerful and less intelligent).
I believe that the Icedrake Rider is indeed a frostling unit, it is not a very strong unit, it's stats is actually not better than the human cavalry (of course flying + cold breath still make it a better unit).
this shot clearly show that an Ice Dragon is a summonable creature.
About the Man 50/50, remember that the game is not finished yet, maybe we will only see this for heroes in the final game, or maybe some units use mana for their special attacks (like cold breath).

Kris

[This message has been edited by Kris Lighthawk (edited 03-20-2002 @ 05:04 PM).]

posted 03-20-02 07:31 PM EDT (US)     31 / 54  
I don't know, the Mana 50\50 explanation regarding the fact that it refers to the wizard's magic sounds reasonable... but "MAN" as an abbreviation of "MANA" is still a bit weird.

Regarding the above mentioned shot definitely proves that there is a difference between "Ice Dragon" and "Icedrake" (good point Kris). That and the fact that "Man 50/50" is present also between the cavalry stats, takes away the clues regarding a possible Icedrake rider hero.

[This message has been edited by Black Knight (edited 03-20-2002 @ 08:27 PM).]

posted 03-20-02 09:17 PM EDT (US)     32 / 54  
You guys are quite good at this detective work. I love reading these threads where you piece together features of the game from screen shots...

--Ray

Yes, Ice Drake == Frostling unit
Yes, Ice Dragon is a big honking dragon (quite gorgeous, too), and quite a bit tougher than an ice drake.

posted 03-20-02 10:47 PM EDT (US)     33 / 54  

Hi again Swolte,

I see you've got another good exchange going with BlackKnight.

Since the Frostlings are related to Goblins in AoW, I'm guessing that the Frostling rider is almost a stats carbon copy of the Goblin Wyvern Rider.

Fight of the Ice Dragons...

Drake vs. Frostling Wyvern Rider:

In most literature, Wyverns are a smaller dragon type species that do not have breath attack. They are tough but not so tough that they can't be considered recruitable units. I think the "summoned" Ice Drake is in a way different dragon league. It's greater size, power and breath attack would allow it to eat the Wyvern and its rider for dinner in a one-on-one fight.

Speaking about dragons again... has anyone noticed any further clues regarding how powerful "summoned" dragons are going to be relative to town units? It has been a while since that thread was active.

Best Regards,

Raven Bear
New Brunswick, Canada
posted 03-20-02 11:23 PM EDT (US)     34 / 54  
lol, it's gotta be fun being a developer watching fans try to figure out different aspects of the game. But this all sounds great to me!

Edit:
Looks like you can curry the god's favour too: http://www.nextgame.it/html/foto.php?id=2238&tabella=articoli&i=14

[This message has been edited by Newsboy555 (edited 03-20-2002 @ 11:34 PM).]

posted 03-21-02 03:57 AM EDT (US)     35 / 54  
yes, fun, but consider the frustration of a dev that realizes these forumers are bickering about 3-month old screenshots. Hmmm.
posted 03-21-02 04:44 AM EDT (US)     36 / 54  
So give us some new ones!

[This message has been edited by Magog (edited 03-21-2002 @ 04:45 AM).]

posted 03-21-02 04:50 AM EDT (US)     37 / 54  
Well, Wazzz, if you guys would provide us with some new screenshots you wouldn't have to be frustrated about us "bickering about 3-month old screenshots", would you ??

Kris

posted 03-21-02 05:34 AM EDT (US)     38 / 54  
Zwuh!
posted 03-21-02 07:21 AM EDT (US)     39 / 54  
But Wazzz, RayB or Josh, what about the "Man 50/50" thing? Please tell us what it is. Or is that another surprise you don't want to spoil?

[This message has been edited by Iznoghoud (edited 03-21-2002 @ 07:24 AM).]

posted 03-21-02 07:34 AM EDT (US)     40 / 54  
YES!!! What's the "MAN 50\50" deal GEEE?????

(and... ehm... Newsboy555, they are SPIRITS! They are SPIRITS! Not gods!! Let's not call them god would we? )

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies » New Preview
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames