You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: games not out yet, but i have the STRATAGY GUIDE!!
posted 06-11-02 12:50 PM EDT (US)   
I have not had time to look thru it yet, but i saw that the goblin butcher has 'round attack'!!!

yeah!!!!

I thought round attack was cut from the game because i had not heard any mention of it. I'm so happy!!!!

(and so sad the actual game isnt out yet!! )

Replies:
posted 06-11-02 12:59 PM EDT (US)     1 / 21  
Plz teach us more, Greenmonster

Kangaxx The Jolly Lich, member of BTOOIC

posted 06-11-02 02:58 PM EDT (US)     2 / 21  
"Strategy guide"? Isn't that the modern name for "Game Manual"?

It also implies reading the directions, and who does that?

posted 06-11-02 05:50 PM EDT (US)     3 / 21  
I'm not sure if the stratagy guide is a worth while buy as of yet.

I'd have to see the game manual first.

so far (1/4 way thru), there is little new information, but then again, the early chapters deal with basics...

they have made the attack value for xbow a 15, w. 6 damage, only 1 shot.

hurl stones 6 attack, 7 damage!!!!! (7 damage for some rocks, when an arrow does 4 ???? I guess we complained too much about archers and not enough about slngers!)

it says web lasts 3 turns, although josh (i think it was josh... it was a dev) said here in a post that it was reduced to 2 turns

'energy drain' seems like a REALLY cool ability.. it has a chance to halve your enemies attack and damage!!!

alot of the magic shields dont give you the 'block' ability.
and no, sorry swolte, your block idea wasnt implamented. neither was my ranged units getting 'strike'.

heres something i dont understand... a bad way to deal wit our complaints that the catapult was worthless...

hurl boulder = 10 attack, 15 damage 1 shot
fire canon = 8 attack, 15 damage 1 shot!

Wazz is no longer a warrior, but a rougue (with spell casting).

and deep fissure, the spell that makes 'fires of the deep earth burn the target' doesnt do fire damage...

and there are already worthless spells....
"suffocate" 17 attack, 6 physical damage, save for 1/2 damage. with the new damage system, this spell is basically going to be a 1-2 point attack! ARG!!!

IMPLAMENT A BELL CURVE DAMAGE SYSTEM!!!!!!!! it wont be hard!!!!! it would make a HUGE difference!!!!!

I'll post more later.... i have a lot of reading to do...

[This message has been edited by greenmonster (edited 06-11-2002 @ 05:54 PM).]

posted 06-11-02 05:51 PM EDT (US)     4 / 21  
oh yeah... all the heroes are mounted (no magic mounts, either!), EXCEPT THE DRACOS...
they all fly!!!!
posted 06-11-02 06:05 PM EDT (US)     5 / 21  
Hmm. Dracos could be a problem then (play balance).

Hey, is "hurl stones" the ability to throw boulders or the slinger's skill? Just a thought. (Would make sense if it is throw boulders).

posted 06-11-02 06:16 PM EDT (US)     6 / 21  
Does the orc units seem cool?
posted 06-11-02 06:26 PM EDT (US)     7 / 21  
I guess we will just have to hope the strategy guide is just out of date, becuase these balancing errors seem far too elementary for the developers to put them in the final game.
posted 06-11-02 06:41 PM EDT (US)     8 / 21  
How sure are you they are balancing errors? Who knows, flying heroes might receive a penalty to some stats. Other units might have weak defense or are more expensive.
posted 06-11-02 08:40 PM EDT (US)     9 / 21  

Quote:

and deep fissure, the spell that makes 'fires of the deep earth burn the target' doesnt do fire damage...

Urgh! I hope this is not a return of the infamous "Cracks Call" of MoM!!

It is roaming the depths in eternal hunger, devouring all and everything, far from the light, lost in the shadows, alone, wandering, searching, evermore...
posted 06-11-02 11:57 PM EDT (US)     10 / 21  
well, ive reviewed most of the stratagy guide....

not really worth the $.

there are ALOT of errors and contradictions, and the reference charts are all over the book.

if you INSIST on getting it, at least wait for a second revision.... this one looks like it was never seen by an editor, and it got all of its info at 3 different stages of development.

and if they give me the tip that "swordsman from 'x' race are most effective shielding your archers/xbowmen from harm" 1 more time..... ARG!!!!

--------------------------

still in all, I NEEDED to buy it, since AoW2 was SUPPOSED to be out already!!!!! I needed some kind of fix, and it was good to get a bit of insight on the units (no matter how flawed and confusing it may have been).

posted 06-12-02 01:42 AM EDT (US)     11 / 21  
*hopes I dont get flamed..* But is there any cheats in the game and if so, are they listed?
posted 06-12-02 09:48 AM EDT (US)     12 / 21  
CHEATS?????
I HATE CHEATS!!!
ELMINSTER IS A CHEATER!!!!

Andalakus*, honoured 6th Member of BTOOIC
posted 06-12-02 10:11 AM EDT (US)     13 / 21  
Thanks for sharing Greenmonster!!

Quoted from greenmonster:

.... this one looks like it was never seen by an editor, and it got all of its info at 3 different stages of development.

Perhaps they did do the block suggestion after all...

I think the Draconian heroes will make fine Balrogs (with wings)!!! Like it!

Swolte

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 06-12-02 10:26 AM EDT (US)     14 / 21  
The strategy guide has very few inconsistancies. It went to print later then the manual. I think the writing is top notch and it has a lot of overal strategies, secrets and tips, some if which are written by the developers and QA team.

Go get it, it really is one of the best game guides I've seen.

Greenmonster, where did you get the strat guide so early?

posted 06-12-02 11:02 AM EDT (US)     15 / 21  
I saw one at EB, as I secured my copy of AoW2 whenever it gets in. Andalakus *shakes head* it's ok if someone else wants to cheat, as long as you don't then what does it matter that someone else does. It's their life, if they want to ruin it with cheating, let them.

"Count no man happy until he is dead"
-Solon

[This message has been edited by Mister Pickles (edited 06-12-2002 @ 11:03 AM).]

posted 06-12-02 11:12 AM EDT (US)     16 / 21  
I make my own strategies, as always.

- All you need is love -

The Wizards of Creation

posted 06-12-02 11:22 AM EDT (US)     17 / 21  

Quoted from Lenart:

The strategy guide has very few inconsistancies. It went to print later then the manual.

Thanks for jumping in there Lenart, and congrats on finally seeing your "baby" released.

But given that you folks were tweaking until the very end, how out-of-date is the manual?

posted 06-12-02 01:02 PM EDT (US)     18 / 21  
i got the strat guide at Electronics Boutique yesterday. I saw them unpacking everything so i grabbed the copy i preordered.

i hate to say it, but in my first 1/2 hour or so of just scanning the manual, I found at least 10 errors or inconsistancies.

now often on the companies website they will post a little text file giving edited corrections (oft AFTER a patch has changed details, though!), which is very needed for this guide. I wouldnt mind having to go thru the book and make corrections in pencil (as a patch could change details...), but I should not have to do it at all until the game has been patched. But indeed, I will have to (unless the game manual is better... which it probably is even though it went to press later).

most of the errors are over #of shots a ranged attacks get, as well as attack and damage stats. "fire cannon" is represented differently 3 different times.

the description of the nymph is the SAME EXACT as the elf swordsman.

I'm PRAYING the hurl stones ability is overstated in the book. 6 stones, 6 attack, 7 damage? or as it says elsewhere in the book 3 stones...

shoot xbow- 1 shot or 2? it says both in the manual.

these are just the things from the top of my head....
if you want, I'll do more editing (should get paid for this...), AFTER I play AoW2 or a good long while!!!!

posted 06-13-02 02:20 PM EDT (US)     19 / 21  
another big important question the strat guide raises...

it says that if you are engaged in melee with a unit, you can still move to adjacent hexes, as long as you do not move out of melee range, and not elicit a 'free strike' by your enemy. there is a large section about this rule, with diagrams actually.

after thinking about it, i thought it would be a cool new addition/change from aow.

Imagine my surprise when i tried it in the game and the AI got in a whole bunch of free shots! Now, normally i would say this is a problem with the strat guide, BUT since there was so much detail about this feature in the guide, it made me wonder if its really a game bug. another reason why i think its a bug? bcause the game doesnt normally allow you to move your troops into location where they would take damage, for example, you have to move right next to poison plants, then move onto poison plants, and then move past poison plants... you just cant click on the other side of poison plants because the game tries to find a way around them as to not take damage. Its the same in combat...

imagine a defender, with the north face of his 'hex' labeled as #1, and the numbers rotate clockwise around (ie, the 'south hex' is #4, etc...). Well if my attacker is due north of a defender, say 4 hexes away and i want to attack the defender at side '1', then no problems... my unit marches straight south and proceeds to pummel him. but say i wanted to attack side #2. in aow, my unit would side step to the east, then proceed straight down to hex face 2, and the battle would begin. In aow2 however, my attacker heads straight down to hex face 1, then moves to hex face 2. he gets hit by the defender (free shot) as he moves to face 2. when he reaches side 2, melee begins normally.

if this feature is supposed to be in the game, then i can see why my unit moves to hex 1 then to hex face 2 --- he shouldnt elicit a free attack, and the computer doesnt think he will. if it is not supposed to be a feature, then the bug lies in the fact that my attacker doesnt move to the east first before engaging.

I'll post this in the bugs forum, too....

posted 06-13-02 02:57 PM EDT (US)     20 / 21  
Being able to move without free attacks on your unit as long as you stay adjacent was a feature they said they added, so it is a bug if it isn't working.

Now, are you sure that you stayed adjacent to all enemy units? It could be a bug that arises only when you are adjacent to more than one enemy, and all enemies get free hits just because you didn't stay adj. to one of em.

Just a thought.

posted 06-13-02 04:02 PM EDT (US)     21 / 21  
yeah... it happened to me a few times (I get stubburn! ), and i thought about that. it happens on a 1 vs 1 too, though.
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies » games not out yet, but i have the STRATAGY GUIDE!!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames