You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How many mp is consumed when a unit retaliates?
posted 05-21-02 10:21 AM EDT (US)   
How many movement points are consumed (during your opponents turn) when a unit (your unit) retaliates after an attack?

If I have understood things correctly, a unit will not be able to retaliate an unlimited number of attacks anymore. If the attackers are too many some of them will get free strikes at the defender. How exactly does this work? How many movement points are consumed in each retaliation? Does your actions during the previous (your) turn affect the number of possible retaliations?

Replies:
posted 05-21-02 10:56 AM EDT (US)     1 / 7  
It seems like most low-level infantry units have 4-5 retaliation strikes before they loose all their movement points for the next turn. I have been paying so much attention. I haven't really noticed any correspondance in the number of retaliations and movement yet, i.e. higher movement gives more retaliation. I remember I did have a hero with a fairly large movement score with a haste ring and he never seemed to run out of retalitory strikes and he could move anywhere on the tact. map in the yellow.
posted 05-21-02 11:06 AM EDT (US)     2 / 7  
So, if we consider that most regular units have 20 movement points, the cost for each retaliation should be 4 or 5 mp. And if you use up your movement points while your opponent are attacking you won't get to move (or attack) on your following turn. Very interesting...
posted 05-21-02 11:14 AM EDT (US)     3 / 7  
Yes, I agree.
An extra advantage to faster units. Now movement has a 'combat worth' as well!

Btw Fisenflycht, are you able to play the demo, yet? I thought you said in an earlier post you weren't. Must be really hard reading all our comments and not.. well you understand?

Swolte

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 05-21-02 11:36 AM EDT (US)     4 / 7  
Not only an advantage for faster units but also an advantage for large stacks of low level units (e.g. pikemen ) vs lonely units from higher levels. No, I haven't tried the demo yet.
posted 05-21-02 12:10 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7  
Faster units have no advantages on retaliation because retaliation consumes movement points on relation basis. You expend retaliations in the same manner as attack strikes. If you finished your round in green you may retaliate upto 6 strikes and doing so you will expend all your movement points of the next round as well.

It is the same way as attack strikes: cavalry (36 MP) and swordsman (24 MP) have 3 strikes: 3 in green, 2 in yellow and 1 in red.

Pavel, pvzh@hotmail.com
posted 05-21-02 02:56 PM EDT (US)     6 / 7  
Here's the info for ya:

Retaliation strikes consume 25% of a unit's MP... A unit's MP are restored to full at the -end- of their turn. So moving during your turn does not affect retaliations, but retaliations do affect your -next- turn's MP. Units with high MP have the advantage that they still have more MP after 1-3 retaliations than a slow unit.

Hope that's clear.

Josh Farley
Programmer
Triumph Studios
posted 05-21-02 03:36 PM EDT (US)     7 / 7  
Thanks for clarification. I did not do rigorous testing. It was just a feel from experience.

Pavel, pvzh@hotmail.com
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies » How many mp is consumed when a unit retaliates?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames