You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Animate Dead, What Happened!
posted 05-16-02 02:07 PM EDT (US)   

Earlier in another thread, I was told by one of the god people at Triumph that Animate Dead was not in the demo because it cost too much too cast. The spell I believe costs 50 mana, it could be 40 but I seem to remeber 50. Either way, that seems like a hell of a lot for the spell. But then I though, "maybe they fixed the spell so that now the units don't die at the end of battle." If that were the case, I could understand the enormous cost. However, after reading the unit ability descriptions, it notice that animated units DO still disappear at the end of a turn.

Come on, Its the Undead for crying out loud. They should be resurrecting troops all over the place. It shouldn't cost your entire mana supply just to ressurect a few corpses that will be disappear after the battle. The spell seems like a total waste now.
I know I haven't played the game yet, but from what I do know, I think I am in for a disappointment.

Hopefully, things will turn out better than I fear, I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Oh and by the way, Really, aren't ALL undead units animated. Otherwise they wouldn't be undead.

Replies:
posted 05-16-02 03:53 PM EDT (US)     1 / 3  
Animate Dead is no longer a small area-effect spell. It now creates up to 5 zombies from all over the battlefield. As such, it is much more useful.

Josh Farley
Programmer
Triumph Studios
posted 05-17-02 02:25 AM EDT (US)     2 / 3  
Is it true that the Wizard will only gain casting points by picking skills ? (which limit it to 50 ???).

Can you expand a bit on which abilities will be present to transform our apprentice into an archmage of enormous casting power?

Also, in the campaign, will Merlin retain his skills after completing each scenario triad?

posted 05-17-02 01:05 PM EDT (US)     3 / 3  
OK, that sounds a bit better. But, It should still cost less than 50 mana.

At 50 only your wizard will ever be able to cast it because heroes can only cast as high as 30 mana. And it can only be cast after numerous upgrades to yor wizard and tower. Thats a lot of "down payment" for just one spell. Obviously any change to this spell will have to come after the release, but I really think you should reevaluate it. If I'm playing the Undead, I want to be able to use necromancy skills before turn 60. It should not be so hard to cast the spell.

Lets look at the spell:
cost - 50 mana
The spell only gives you 5 LOWEST LEVEL units
Those units disappear after the battle.

by the time I can cast this spell, Most armies will be made of level 3 units. What good are 5 LOWEST LEVEL units going to be against Just 2 Level 3 units? Not much. Those zombies will just provide a nice easy way for those units to level up.

For 50 mana I could cast;

5 enchant weapons (MUCH better deal if you have archers)
5 Fireballs (Obviously the most overpowered Combat spell)
5 Heal (A better choice when you can heal your own Level 3s)
6 dark gifts ( make some lower level units worth while)

or better yet 3 enchant weapons and 2 darkgifts
I could up 3 level 3 units, giving 2 of them
+2 Attack + 4 damage and magicstrike and deathstrike
and the other +2 +2 and magic strike
Wow!
I say screw the 5 pathetic zombies and just up 3 units with Enchant weapon and darkgift before battle.
And both of these spells can be cast when using the Death sphere.

Lower the cost of this Spell, and all would be fine. The spell could be very useful in the beginning of the game, but as it is you can't use it until near the end.

But then again maybe there are easier ways to level your wizard to 50 casting that I don't know about. Maybe wizards can cast a s high as 100. I don't know. But judging from what I've read and what I know from the demo, I think the spell needs tweaking. But, I'll wait and see. I'll be sure to give my final verdict once I've put some time into the gold.

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies » Animate Dead, What Happened!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames