You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Grand Btooic petition (Devs, members and others click here now!!)
posted 05-15-02 11:39 AM EDT (US)   
*Swolte putting on best suit*

Yes, beloved developers, members and non-members!!
This, finally, is the petition to the developers and not another discussion thread on teleporters. Yes, a petition... the option to play without buildable teleporters. Whether or not the Developers will 'officialy' comply is up to them, of course. This petition is not meant to be demanding and will respect any choice the developers make in the end *Big hug* Anyway, our cul..organisation has reached 30 proud and wonderful members!!! Look at their first loving comments on Buildable Teleporters Off Option In Cities (BTOOIC)...

*Swolte the first Welcome to the army of BTOOIC. (Buildable Teleporters Off Option In Cities). Membership is free, please join!
*Iznoghoud LOL!
*Bilbo on a stick I too would like to see buildable teleporters kept optional, left to the discretion of the mapmaker whether they’re available or not.
*Rorschach I'll follow that banner through hell and back.
*Lord Devon yep! im in
*Andalakus NO BUILDABLE TELEPORTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*Mister Pickles Does that include coffee and doughnuts?*
*Polaris X ...you can teleport units from city to city? *shock*!!!
*The Black Knight I HATE TELEPORTERS! Always and in ANY way they are presented to us! THEY KILL THE GAMEPLAY AND THE STRATEGY!
*Falagar How do you become a member?
*Photios I think buildable teleporters is sort of a stupid idea. The player could get carried away with it and teleport all of his troops anywhere he wants and the strategic part of the game would be destroyed. I'm all for BTOOIC.
*Parrotfish Hiya, You have my sword...
*Elvendefender Well, these donuts and the cause does it! Count me as a believer and if you will accept, me I would happily become a member as well.
*Kysss *starts eating* yum... sure ... teleporters ... yum... gameplay... yum... sure.....
*Black_Raven *A tall man wearing fire red clothes walks in* Is this where the place one ventures to join BTOOIC
*Undine (due to your extensive campagining, I'm giving up. I was holding out til the demo before I make a judgement, but your brainwashing techniques have forced me to give in early.)*notices the walls plastered with BTOOIC slogans and posters, then looks at the Donuts of Brainwashing* *gives in*
*Leonidas I'm glad someone mentioned the LotR problem and teleporters. When I first heard about them I thought maybe the town teleporters were to prepare us for the revised edition of the Lord of the Rings in which Frodo jumps into the teleporter at Bag End and *POW!* there he is in Minas Tirith, thus saving the publisher and reader 600 pages of compelling adventure.
*Jader Yes, I want to be soldier.
*KeeblerElf I KeeblerElf of Cookie Tree wish to join the BTOOIC!
*Tekk Zero Put me down as a member. After seeing what the tele could do in the Demo, I am now inclined that it is a terrible idea. I cannot imagine how badly these things could be in a XL game, where units you didn't think a player could get up to you could now transport on top of you in days. Think of all the ambushes. Before the demo I was complacent to see what the feature really did (giving the benefit of the doubt to the devs), but now that I have seen the feature I am totally convinced you guys were right.
*Sir Crashalot Yes! I have finally come out of the closet! I finally feel free within myself and want to shout from the rooftops `I am BTOOIC !!!`
*Psykitty I'll join if you can tell me how you get those fancy smilies, I tried typing in the code, but they didn't show up when I previewed my post.
*Waterfly I will add my "voice"! Though I dont think that teleporters will spoil the game totally, (since the old TG spell didnt spoil it and is much worse) its only smart to have an OFF-options since people are different and choices will make this game only better, since we can try out for real what the differences are....
*Saber Cherry Hi! I join too. I'd like to point out that I like teleporters... somewhat...but I think they need to be changed a bit. AND I think in some cases they need to be banned entirely, both by the map designer and the map player, so I support BTOOIC.
*Sir HankOSU Dear sirs, I find your point of view intriguing and wish to subscribe to your magazine.
*Skylancer64 Where can i join? *starts stuffing himself with the remaining food*
*Lord Shadow Greetings friends. I would be honoured to enlist your cause and lend a hand with turning the tide against those vile devices. *placing a charred hand missing several fingers on a table* Now, did someone mention doughnuts?
*Alex Mars Yes, I do. While I can see the possibilities of having the teleporters in cities; I support the idea of being able to turn that option, or any other build option, off when designing a map.
*Satrhan Can I still join? I hope i'm not to late
*LordDragatus *A man in a dark blue robe has entered the room a while ago without being noticed (partialy because he casted the concealment spell on himself). After standing in a dark corner (he wants to look cool) for a while he steps forward and reveals himself to be Lord Dragatus, the High Lord of Dragatia* "Hello everybody. Options are a good thing. I want to join."

Wow, the memories... *sigh*. We of BTOOIC will continue our efforts. Emphasis will still be on 'getting an option', but also interesting other people for AoW2. Everyone is invited (incl Devs!!) at a special dinner at the BTOOIC restaurant in the Valley of Wonders (post No 41)!!! Go to the Valley Tourist Board for more info on the different activities there, don't forget to check TMPC-shows for high quality entertainment (They might even feature a developer in the next episode )!!
Everyone goodbye and see you in the old Valley of Wonders BTOOIC-restaurant (or tourist board)!!!

*To post in the Valley, login and use the same password as AoW Heaven.*

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 05-15-2002 @ 11:40 AM).]

Replies:
posted 05-15-02 11:56 AM EDT (US)     1 / 37  
Both the ability to build cities, and build teleporters within cities, are options when starting a Custom Game...

Josh Farley
Programmer
Triumph Studios
posted 05-15-02 12:05 PM EDT (US)     2 / 37  
That's brilliant!
posted 05-15-02 12:42 PM EDT (US)     3 / 37  
Hey Devs...I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!

*sniffle*

This is what makes life worth living...

*sob*

This, doughnuts and nymphs...

Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar... Ask yourselves, all of you... What power would Hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to dream of Heaven?
posted 05-15-02 12:59 PM EDT (US)     4 / 37  
Thanks Josh, maybe there will be less spam now....
posted 05-15-02 01:00 PM EDT (US)     5 / 37  
*cheers*

Can I use you in TMPC Josh?

"Count no man happy until he is dead"
-Solon
posted 05-15-02 01:03 PM EDT (US)     6 / 37  
Fine, now what about the other build options? If we can't turn off other build options when designing a map then many types of maps cannot be designed with AoW2.
posted 05-15-02 01:50 PM EDT (US)     7 / 37  
We did it!

Thumbs up for the Devs!

Proud member of BTOOIC.
posted 05-15-02 02:08 PM EDT (US)     8 / 37  

Quote:

Thanks Josh, maybe there will be less spam now....

We never spammed you! (okey, I did it once, but without permission from Swolte)

We just said what we ment!

Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar... Ask yourselves, all of you... What power would Hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to dream of Heaven?
posted 05-15-02 03:37 PM EDT (US)     9 / 37  
YAY!

"I have curly pubic hair. If I don't gel it down, it puffs up into a miniature afro and looks rediculous." -Kman
posted 05-15-02 03:43 PM EDT (US)     10 / 37  
Alex: That's what we had time to implement for release. Any additional features in this area would have been too time consuming to implement at this time. IMO this addresses the main concerns voiced by forum posters in this area...

Feel free to make suggestions for further improvements to AoW2 after the full version is available. I suspect we'll be adding a few things in the future as well...

Josh Farley
Programmer
Triumph Studios

[This message has been edited by Josh AoW (edited 05-15-2002 @ 03:46 PM).]

posted 05-15-02 03:48 PM EDT (US)     11 / 37  
Wohoo! We got ourselves THE option! I just love you Devs!

Quoted from Josh AoW:

I suspect we'll be adding a few things in the future as well...

Like additional races?

-Everything is expendable when it comes to survival and victory-
Lord Galmírëgon of the High Elves, self-dedicated-wannabe-defender of everything he likes, including (but not limited to) the BTOOIC and also 13th warrior/member of the same BTOOIC
posted 05-15-02 04:31 PM EDT (US)     12 / 37  
This is great news, and I really wanna thank you Devs for putting this in. Looking forward to buying and playing the full version! It will be the best reward for me after I've finished my exams!

"I wanna be Sultan instead of the Sultan!" - Grand Vizier Iznoghoud, 2nd and honoured member of the BTOOIC (Buildable Teleporters Off Option in Cities)
Admin of the BTOOIC site and forum.
posted 05-15-02 05:10 PM EDT (US)     13 / 37  
Great !

So all our spam campaigning and hard work wasnt all for nothing.

Crash

Honoured member and Doughnut supplier of BTOOIC
posted 05-15-02 05:55 PM EDT (US)     14 / 37  
Wohoo! Uh, I mean, thanks...

I would also like to say that the reason for my joining speach was because I planned a better one, but couldn't do it because I didn't know how to post smilies...

posted 05-15-02 05:56 PM EDT (US)     15 / 37  
Well, everyone, now what do we do?

Oh, and Mr.Pickles, I don't think that's the right shade of blue for the devs' names...

posted 05-15-02 06:11 PM EDT (US)     16 / 37  
He, I wonder what all the BTOOIC members are going to waste their time on now

Kris

posted 05-15-02 06:58 PM EDT (US)     17 / 37  
Thanks, Josh!!! This is great news.
Yuhuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!
posted 05-15-02 07:11 PM EDT (US)     18 / 37  
*does the boogie*

WHOOOO HOO!!!

posted 05-15-02 07:22 PM EDT (US)     19 / 37  
Great news, options are always nice.

But, I'm a tad confused..

Do you mean that there will be an option in the map maker editor (you know, the seperate editor program), or there will be a checkbox in the starting game screen, like the "Allied Victory", "Exploration", and "Customize leaders" buttons in the AOW Multi Prep screen?

posted 05-15-02 08:14 PM EDT (US)     20 / 37  
Lovely. Now I'm counting on you guys to turn out some good custom maps to make this worth while.

Thank you devs for your attention to detail, and your devotion to your most vocal portion of your fanbase.

posted 05-15-02 11:29 PM EDT (US)     21 / 37  
checkboxes in the game setup screen (aow2, not aow2ed)...

Josh Farley
Programmer
Triumph Studios
posted 05-15-02 11:40 PM EDT (US)     22 / 37  
On the game setup screen? That sounds really cool, that way we can even increase the difficulty of the campaign if we wanted to.

Any updates on when the release will actually be since it appears that all outlets are reporting shipping on the 11th?

-revalos

posted 05-16-02 00:19 AM EDT (US)     23 / 37  
JOY!!!!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall. ~Confucius
Email at: Tekkaman_Zero@hotmail.com 124881677
posted 05-16-02 08:08 AM EDT (US)     24 / 37  
You guys are fanatics. Or maybe zealots, I can't decide.

I'm glad the Devs threw you the bone you wanted, and it really shows that they listend to all of your arguments and care about what gamers think.

But... I still think you guys are fanatics. Allow me to defile this post by blaspheming and saying I love teleporters and will never walk when I can 'port. Neener, neener.

*sigh*

I wonder how many of you will end up using them anyway, or maybe after you play it without all the time and feel like attempting the game as it was originally intended.

I suppose it doesn't really matter though... now we have a choice, so let us non BOOTIE people (or whatever it is) alone. Thank you, just had to add my piss and vinegar.

[This message has been edited by camelotcrusade (edited 05-16-2002 @ 08:10 AM).]

posted 05-16-02 08:30 AM EDT (US)     25 / 37  
I'm content. Two problems solved already. Remember people, this is why we bother the devs in the first place: to get results.
*sigh* Actually listening to our complaints. Already knew that of course, but now I've earned myself the right to kick certain people too, which pleases me tremendously.

Steel Monkey
posted 05-16-02 08:59 AM EDT (US)     26 / 37  
"so let us non BOOTIE people (or whatever it is) alone."

Never, We love you!!!

Anyway, I want to thank the developers too. Listening and adapting to feedback is a quality that can be very valuable. That is if you have good ears, and I think yours have proven to be very clean .
I don't know if the BTOOIC had a part to play in the decision of the Devs to work on the option but I'm sure it did help keep the topic alive somehow when the subject had become tiresome. Apologies for the sometimes unneccesary spamming or overemphasising its importance. We have our own spam nests. Feel free to spam along there

Further, I enjoyed the discussion on buildable teleporters very much from the early beginning. Serious, sharp and with respect. Like it should be.

Kris, we'll waste our time on resting now... well resting...

Swolte

My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 05-16-2002 @ 09:03 AM).]

posted 05-16-02 10:01 AM EDT (US)     27 / 37  
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how does the check box in the game setup screen solve the issue?

I thought the feeling here was that mapmakers wanted the option to include or exclude buildable teleporters in cities. But if the option is in the game setup, not in the editor, then it seems to me players are being given the option, not the mapmaker.

Granted, a mapmaker could suggest to players that they turn the option off, just as they suggested that certain AoW maps be played with Heroes on Map off. But lets say you create a story-intensive map in which buildable teleporters would, in effect, allow stacks to jump to areas before a portion of the story plays out. Now, even if you suggest that players turn the option off before starting, some will either ignore or not notice the request, thus ruining the story.

I don't in any way mean this as criticism of the devs for responding to the community. I'm simply a little confused about whether this option really meets the needs of mapmakers.

posted 05-16-02 10:18 AM EDT (US)     28 / 37  
Actually I like the fact that map makers will be less able to impose me their tyranny.

Personally that would help me to accept that there is no random map generator for a while... Which is what I will use the most once they give it to us.

It's not that I don't like the maps made by players... but what if a player hates teleporters and can't find a map which doesn't have them? The really good maps are rare you know? A lot of map makers thnk that their map is good only if there is everything in it, when I am supposed to discovere that there are hideous teleporters? After 70 turns?

I really hope they'll give us a well structured RMG, they should take their time and make it good!

(PS. I am sure they are considering the graying out of buildings in the ditor I hope that the randomly made citied won't be all equal at that point. The RMG could just have an option "random buildings in cities on\off")

[This message has been edited by Black Knight (edited 05-16-2002 @ 10:27 AM).]

posted 05-16-02 10:21 AM EDT (US)     29 / 37  
The Cow is dead! Long live the option!

Tylertoo, I think it is more important to make the buildable teleporters off option in cities available for players, because that way it also affects random map games.

Lord Dragatus, 30th member of BTOOIC, The One Who Killed the Cow.

[This message has been edited by LordDragatus (edited 05-16-2002 @ 10:22 AM).]

posted 05-16-02 10:32 AM EDT (US)     30 / 37  

Quote:

Now, even if you suggest that players turn the option off before starting, some will either ignore or not notice the request, thus ruining the story.

Well then it's their problem. Unfortunately, there is no option to turn off peoples ignorance or stupidity.

[This message has been edited by Magog (edited 05-16-2002 @ 10:33 AM).]

posted 05-16-02 11:10 AM EDT (US)     31 / 37  
You got that one right Magog. If a person wants to disregard the suggestions of the mapmaker that person can kindlly ruin the story for him/her. If you listen to the mapmaker you will have a pleasant experience.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall. ~Confucius
Email at: Tekkaman_Zero@hotmail.com 124881677
posted 05-17-02 02:50 AM EDT (US)     32 / 37  

Quoted from BK:

Actually I like the fact that map makers will be less able to impose me their tyranny.

This statement has no relevance whatsoever. It makes no sense. It's ridiculous. "impose me their tyranny" is a joke. Hey BK, a map is a mapmakers pride and joy. Why create a map when your options are limited? The more options that the devs allow the map designers to have, the greater variety a map maker will have, and more varied maps for all to play. They impose jack-all on you, cause you're the one who downloads and plays the map. It's your choice, not tyranny. Go lighten-up, give yourself a shake. I think that the Devs limiting the options of map makers is tyranny

I think a new organization should be formed. The BTOOFMM (Buildable Teleporters Off Option For Map Makers)

-Solon

[This message has been edited by Mister Pickles (edited 05-17-2002 @ 02:50 AM).]

posted 05-17-02 03:17 AM EDT (US)     33 / 37  
Pickle man:

I don't give a freak about your dumb pride and joy - I have started a million maps only to find out that they had plenty of dumb details I couldn't stand - I was promised a random map generator, now it's not ready and I have to play stupid maps with pickels everywhere?

Fields of pickels! Nations of pickles! I don't like pickles and I don't want to see them in my map ... that's right MY map! The map it's mine because I bought the game and I spend 10 hours playing it... or maybe it's Josh's since he put so much work in it to make wannabe artists feel like they are actually creating something when they play around with the editor.

I don't give a pickle about the claimed authorship by map editors! And I like to choose my options! I want to play all the maps signed TalonThorn with teleport ALWAYS OFF dammit!!

[This message has been edited by Black Knight (edited 05-17-2002 @ 03:28 AM).]

posted 05-17-02 03:50 AM EDT (US)     34 / 37  
Black Knight - while I wouldn't be quite as forthright with my opinions on this matter, I agree with you.
posted 05-17-02 05:20 AM EDT (US)     35 / 37  
lol! (BK & Pickle man )

posted 05-17-02 12:38 PM EDT (US)     36 / 37  
I like being tyrannical..er, limiting the maps I make...
posted 05-17-02 12:48 PM EDT (US)     37 / 37  
Ok. Lots of maps suck Knight, but it's your decision to play them. I don't give a Knight about how many sucky maps you've played. And if you don't like pickles, you can go take your Knight somewhere else, cause as stated above, I don't give a Knight.

Your stress levels seem to be off the charts. Maybe you shouldn't get AoW2.

-Solon
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies » Grand Btooic petition (Devs, members and others click here now!!)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames