You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: We all miss unit descriptions, right?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 05-14-02 01:10 AM EDT (US)   
Well, I understand why they aren't in AOW2(I think), so, my suggestion, is the devs could put the unit descriptions on their website instead. We'd still have unit descriptions, but they wouldn't make translation take longer.

Or, just tell us what the Hunter is.

Replies:
posted 06-04-02 04:41 PM EDT (US)     41 / 60  
Well I have enough spae cash to get aow2. However, i am going to hvae to run it on minimal specs...oh well...didn't want zoom anyway....

BLOODYBATTLEBRAIN, last of the Azrac warriors.
posted 06-04-02 05:41 PM EDT (US)     42 / 60  
I yet have to by a 3D-Graphic card. As I understood the game requires one..... Though I really don't have an Idea why someone would favour a good graphics over a good game.

Walky (Still playing Castle of the Winds)

posted 06-04-02 11:46 PM EDT (US)     43 / 60  
AoW2 does NOT require a 3D card.

Josh Farley
Programmer
Triumph Studios
posted 06-05-02 04:14 AM EDT (US)     44 / 60  
Pardon...? Are you saying that my Titanimum Geforce 4 graphic card with its 128 MB is not going to make a difference...??
posted 06-05-02 04:37 AM EDT (US)     45 / 60  
My Voodoo Banshee (found in a trash bin) crashes the game if I try to use 3D acceleration... hmmmmmm.
posted 06-05-02 04:58 AM EDT (US)     46 / 60  
Sigh. AoW2 can USE a 3D card. It does not REQUIRE a 3D card. Those two are not mutually exclusive.

For more details on the benefits of 3D cards in AoW2, search the forums, or ask around.

Josh Farley
Programmer
Triumph Studios
posted 06-05-02 05:25 AM EDT (US)     47 / 60  
Well I'd say a 3d card should atleast be highly recommended. Even a TNT or better should make a huge difference for any machine.
But then again, most pc's nowadays a sold atleast with a GF2mx, so no problems there.

Steel Monkey
posted 06-05-02 10:18 AM EDT (US)     48 / 60  
Unit Descriptions gone Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Why RayB? Why? i loved the unit descriptions i know you had alot of stuff to do but i am sure you could get them in before ship instead of the work on the RMG. I liked reading bout all the neat creatures and knowing bout them before i Used themm or Attacked them now i will be lost when i use the new units they will squabble to death without me knowing what thier true purpose was in life even if it was to die in the first place such as the goblin bomber. I think that helped me more than anyother feature, when i first started AOW1.

I like many (not all) even installed creatures just to read thier stories such as the Basailick and the Kargh and other units such as Syrons. it gave me joy to know why my characters were as good as they were against other units or why i was getting my @$$ handed to me by the shorter opponents.

No Fear For God did not give us a spirit of fear but a spirit of Power.
Behold the Power of !7UP*S
posted 06-05-02 10:51 AM EDT (US)     49 / 60  
Unit descriptions? To figre out all those juicy details like "the elves live in the woods and the orcs are mean"?

WOW I never read any, and really I am not going to miss that, when the TC needs some critical improvement!

We need:
1)Larger TC maps -
2)A range for all battle spells!

That is what I worry about, not the psychological reason why the goblins blow themselves up with a bomb.
(I can just watch the news for that one) -

posted 06-05-02 11:13 AM EDT (US)     50 / 60  
Hmmm.. Good post Kng Krillin 7UPS (Can I call you 7UP?).
I used to agree with Black Knights view on this. But from a game-designers point of view its value might indeed have been a bit underestimated. If it contributes a lot to the imagination of a lot of people then...
your post made me re-evaluate my opinion...

But then again. Would you rather have time invested in unit descriptions or improved AI? (or whatever BK mentiones, assuming one cannot have both). Difficult, personnaly I would prefer better AI or the 'old fashioned' TC.

Swolte

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 06-05-02 11:47 AM EDT (US)     51 / 60  
I loved the unit descriptions in AoW. Like "Kng Krillin 7UPS" before me I used them in the game as well. It also made it accessible to people (like my wife) who did not want to go through the rulebook. Could we maybe have a help menu that would have links to the various units and descriptions? At least that way people could look it up when playing a game. If anything could the programmers create that type of interface in the game but leave it blank to let the community type it out from the book?

"Ray, if someone asks if your a god, you say YES!!!"
posted 06-05-02 12:03 PM EDT (US)     52 / 60  
AoW1 had a great atmosphere, or feeling if you like, and unit descriptions were a part of that. It's a big mistake not to include them in AoW2 imo, since some of the other things that created the AoW feeling is also gone (good music, cartoony graphics). But that's a personal opinion of course.

As for unit descriptions vs AI improvement, i think it's not even comparable. Improving the AI would be far more time consuming than writing descriptions.

posted 06-05-02 12:22 PM EDT (US)     53 / 60  
Magog said

Quote:

AoW1 had a great atmosphere, or feeling if you like, and unit descriptions were a part of that. It's a big mistake not to include them in AoW2 imo, since some of the other things that created the AoW feeling is also gone (good music, cartoony graphics). But that's a personal opinion of course.
As for unit descriptions vs AI improvement, i think it's not even comparable. Improving the AI would be far more time consuming than writing descriptions.

I have played the demo, and I really don't know how to win against the AI (I attribute that to a poor understanding of the instructions on how to play the game). So when talking about the AI I think its fine. I do agree that it seems to digress from the original AoW feel, but I have not played the full game so I really cant judge the game that harshly. If they gave us back the spinning whirly button (seeing its far better than the silly check) I might be more forgiving about my gripes on descriptions.

posted 06-05-02 06:15 PM EDT (US)     54 / 60  
First thing swolte you can call me 7up for now (until if and when I make a 7ups group or clan)

I am kinda with Axion it may just be IMO but the AI is pretty good as it is i mean there are a few ajustments you could make but i think the dev's need a round of applause for thier nice AI like I said there are some things to work out but it is good for realease (the AI that is). so since it is worked out pretty good and you have some time to the Unit descriptions we go crunching binary and hax till you get them all done then you can go to the hard task of RMG. RMG is good but unit descriptions give us a atmosphere from AOW that should not be lost even if we have to wait for them in a patch and if that is the case someone said that they hoped the unit descriptions would be a bigger part of the game where we could get info on items and hero's if it takes longer to make a patch to have theses so be it but i think that would be a good bonus to the unit discription feature to add. If you can make the editor to where atleast we can type in a description of hero's and items plz!! thx for reading to the end.

No Fear For God did not give us a spirit of fear but a spirit of Power.
Behold the Power of !7UP*S
posted 06-06-02 07:16 AM EDT (US)     55 / 60  
AI is good? Where? When?
Meandor is ready to make peace with you (if you play julia), and you can move a big army near to his city without problem, he's not interested to create units to defend himself. When you kill yaka he is so stupid to declare war, a dumb wizard with his poor ballista against unicorn, crossbowmen, longbowmen heroes ecc
I don't think that AI will be never good as a human player
posted 06-06-02 12:36 PM EDT (US)     56 / 60  
Flitter said

Quote:

AI is good? Where? When?
Meandor is ready to make peace with you (if you play julia), and you can move a big army near to his city without problem, he's not interested to create units to defend himself. When you kill yaka he is so stupid to declare war, a dumb wizard with his poor ballista against unicorn, crossbowmen, longbowmen heroes ecc
I don't think that AI will be never good as a human player

Not to start an argument but, have you tried any difficulty past Squire and Knight? It gets really tough after that...

posted 06-06-02 12:39 PM EDT (US)     57 / 60  
He eventually does declare war if you leave armies parked outside his main city. I surrounded him with about 8 full stacks. A couple of turns later, he declared war. But he never dared to attack me or leave his city..
posted 06-07-02 05:35 AM EDT (US)     58 / 60  
I used cpu Knight because was a rule for the may challenge, but I used also other cpu (squire and king), maybe I'll try higher cpu, thanks for the hint
2 turns to declare war against a wizard who place 8 full stacks near my city is too much in my opinion
posted 06-07-02 07:58 AM EDT (US)     59 / 60  
War, day 15, CPU emperor (for yaka and meandor)
meandor offer peace in day 3, I accept and move to yaka, when I arrived in day 6 he had 5 ballista so I retreated
now I had 5 cities, meandor 2 cities and yaka only one
The problem about AI is that he don't attack me if he is not sure of his victory so he wait while I take the indipendent cities
Ok now can I say "AI is good? Where? When?"?
With a higher cpu the AI is better but not good (in my opinion) but because a good AI (as good as a human player) is impossible I prefer have the old unit description, I don't think that it's too much work to make them so why the devs delete them?
posted 06-07-02 08:49 AM EDT (US)     60 / 60  
Yeah, they could keep many from the first episodr (maybe changing them a bit) and made some for the new races... geeez and I miss a lot even units portraits, they were wonderful!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies » We all miss unit descriptions, right?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames