You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Best Level 1 unit? Is there one?
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 11-30-01 11:16 PM EDT (US)   
This is probably one of the more interesting posts I have made. Which do you think is the best of these level one extra units:

Giant Frog-odd critter things
Boar-odd critter things
Nymph-Elves
Mermaid-Maverick (whatever that is)
Lady of Pain-Darkelves
Dire Penguin!-Frostlings
Slug-Lizardmen
Wolf-odd critter things
Scorpion-Azracs
Elephant-Azracs
Spirit Puppet-High Men

Let me know what you think.
Also let me know what Basic Infantry you
like best and think is the best.

I squee'd like a fangirl when the Frostlings were announced for AoW3. True story.
Replies:
posted 12-01-01 00:36 AM EDT (US)     1 / 67  
Probably the pony rider, or the elephant.
posted 12-01-01 01:44 AM EDT (US)     2 / 67  
As always, "it depends." If you've got a wraith coming at you and no other units around, the spirit puppet will be your best friend b/c it's the ONLY level 1 unit with magic strike.

The Pony Rider is an excellent level unit. It's very strong for level 1.

The elephant is incredibly useful. Wall crushing, great movement, it's almost more useful than the pony rider b/c of the wall crushing. Too bad it's very expensive at 37 gold.

Elven/Dark Elven archers are bad ass with Mark I, but slingers are awesome at Silver level as they get 4 attacks.

Don't forget about the Orc Swordsman. he's nearly as strong as most level 2 melee/cav units. 4 atk and dmg, he packs a mean punch!

If I want to try and capture a hero, I'll build a ton of seducing units. I was able to grab a poweful hero this way in a LotR PBEM game by going after him with 9 nymphs. Heck, who could turn down 9 nymphs after all?

I have a new respect for all of the Halfling level 1 units overall though. I'm using them a lot in a current PBEM game and I am totally impressed with their performance so far!

It's been a long time since I did the campaign, and havn't used them much since then, but they are really kicking butt!

That parry ability makes a world of difference. Granted, if I was going up against Gobbos, I would like a dwarven fighter (b/c of poison protection), but my Halflings are going toe-to-toe with Orc swordmen (arguably the best swordsmen in the game) and holding their own, whil my dwaren swordsmen are getting slaughtered.

The difference? Parry. The halflings are harder to hit.

I'm also loving Slingers. They get 4 shots and at silver and gold medal it's brutal! The hits just keep on coming with them!

I have little to say about Pony Riders that wasn't already discussed in another thread, but they're exremely helpful for scouting being level one units, and pack a good punch as well. My little level 1 armies are marching all over the map!

[This message has been edited by Angel Draco (edited 05-15-2002 @ 05:06 PM).]

posted 12-01-01 12:13 PM EDT (US)     3 / 67  
As Draco said, it really depends what you're doing with them. I use different units in different circumstances, but here are the ones that I like, and why...

Frogs and penguins are good for taking and guarding things on islands and in the water. But rarely useful otherwise (except that I love that noise that penguins make when they get hit, and it cracks me up to build stacksfull of penguins just for the look of it).

Boars are only mediocre backup/scout unit to fill out a stack (use them to join your hero or leader when far from reinforcements), but I would only bother using them when I don't have the mana or know the spell to summon something better. Pony riders and hell hounds both make excellent low-level scout/cavalry.

Elven/dark elven archers are pretty good marksmen... I'd even take the fair one over a ranger most days, but not over a centaur. I also really like halfling slingers and goblin darters.

Orcs are good swordsmen, and dwarven beserkers are fun, but their defense is so low they are a little bit disappointing. Kobolds are nice, especially in numbers, with their poison strike, but goblin darters are better. Spirit puppets are great to have around for wraiths, etc. I quite often use human pikemen as an extra fighter-type in an army.

Nymphs and ladies of pain are great for convincing wary heroes and other desirable units to join your cause.

I am way into elephants... I think they are probably the best level 1 unit in the game. I'd say I tend to favor elephants, and any ranged unit. My favorites are the the elven/dark elven archers, halfling slingers, and goblin darters.

posted 12-09-01 11:33 PM EDT (US)     4 / 67  
I only have the demo for AoW, so I only know level one units for a few civilizations...

It really depends on the situation, some units are better than others in several situations.

Pony riders pack quite a punch, I've seen cases in which they've killed an equal amount of strong level 3 units.

"Einstein is a fool." - Schrodinger
"The way to chastity is not to struggle with incontinent thoughts but to avert the thoughts by some employment, or by reading, or by meditating on other things, or by conversation. " - Sir Isaac Newton
CC | AoPS | M-W | PF | SSP | OCW | IBS | KCLS | CB
"We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this something, at whatever cost, must be attained" - Marie Curie
"I was taught that the way of progress is neither swift nor easy" - Marie Curie
posted 12-21-01 06:27 PM EDT (US)     5 / 67  
Hey! It isn't funny to see penguins get hit and die!
Dire Penguins are lovable, hugable, bad asses. Swimming is nice. Cold protection is also nice, stacking them is fun, fun to see 600 penguins ramsackle the AI.

I squee'd like a fangirl when the Frostlings were announced for AoW3. True story.
posted 12-22-01 09:14 AM EDT (US)     6 / 67  
The ultimate lv.1 city would produce:

Orc Swordsman
Halfling Slinger
Elephant
Halfling Pony Rider

---

Spirit Puppets can be useful as Wratih killers, but by the time your enemy has Wraiths you probably have enchant weapon.

Frogs/Penguins/Lizardmen can be useful because of their swimming, but it depends on the map.

Spearmen/Pikemen/Berserkers have a slight edge against swordsmen but not against archers.

Nymphs/Lady of Pain are useful to seduce lone heroes and such. But if the hero brings a few creatures or archers he is safe.

posted 12-22-01 09:41 AM EDT (US)     7 / 67  
Personaly I think (Dark) Elf Archers are better than Halfling Slingers. Atleast without medals.
I calculated that a Slinger targeting a unit with 2 defence will do an average damage of 2,4 while an Elf Archer will cause 2,5 damage. Vs a unit with 7 defence (for example a Red Dragon) Slingers cause an average 0,4 damage, while Elf Archers will inflict 1 point of damage.

Lord Dragatus, 30th member of BTOOIC, The One Who Killed the Cow.
posted 01-01-02 06:53 PM EDT (US)     8 / 67  
It all depends on the map is what conclusion I have come to.
But my opinion is that the spirit puppet, when given water walking, will hurt, a lot.

Ever seen armies and armies of penguins and only penguins?

It ain't pretty...

posted 01-07-02 11:13 AM EDT (US)     9 / 67  
Why is noone talking about Human pikemen? I found them to be rather useful...

I noticed the ORc swordsman is very strong as well. Isn't it odd how Orc units in AoW are so strong when in the stories Orcs always fall to men like flies?

posted 01-07-02 03:58 PM EDT (US)     10 / 67  
I say that those stories you have read is odd. Orcs is much stronger than humans, but dumber and klumsier, which should make it even against humans...

Halflings are too strong in Age of Wonders. They are supposed to be tiny and rather weak, but their pony rider does more damage than an elf scout at lvl 2. The halflings in AoW should have higher defense and weaker damage.

posted 01-07-02 10:48 PM EDT (US)     11 / 67  
i think in stories orc swordmen do fall to human heroes like flies. however, halflings are indeed too strong, compared to how they are portrayed in stories.

Bright was the moon and deep the night;
The stars twinkled, of great delight.
With wings of dream, I searched my soul
To know its truth and find my role.

By French Kisser, a chaser after and believer in true and ingenuous romance.

[This message has been edited by FrenchKisser (edited 01-07-2002 @ 10:50 PM).]

posted 01-08-02 06:02 AM EDT (US)     12 / 67  
Odd stories, right. More than half of the fantasy stuff pout there, and especially Age of Wonders, are based on Tolkien literature. Now go and read something by Tolkien, even unexperienced halflings slay orcs in his books. It is true, though, that halflings are too strong in AOW.
posted 01-08-02 03:17 PM EDT (US)     13 / 67  
The halflings in AoW arent strong, they have parry, which makes it harder to hit them. How strong a unit is, is in AoW shown in how high their damage is. The pony riders have 3 damage and the elven scouts have 2 damage.
The orc swordsman have 4 damage. But since they have no parry and the same stats as halflings (except damage), a halfling swordsman still have a fair chance to beat an orc swordsman.

I have read Lord of the Rings several times (and seen the movie) and i believe that those books is written by Tolkien.

posted 01-09-02 08:10 AM EDT (US)     14 / 67  
Most of the lesser orcs in Tolkien seem like the Goblins of AOW, while Orc Swordsmen are equivalent to Uruk-Hai. Where are those Olog-Hai?
posted 01-09-02 12:48 PM EDT (US)     15 / 67  
question: where in the Lord OTR do the Olog-Hai appear? never read anything about them, though they appear in different game scenarios...
posted 01-09-02 02:15 PM EDT (US)     16 / 67  
I believe Olog-Hai are referred to as Trolls in LOTR, they were few in numbers and weren't used by Sauron until the battle of Pelennor Fields. But there are material on them in other Middle Earth literature than LOTR, although as I'm not the expert I dare not specify any further.
Are they not referred to in the appendix of LOTR?

[This message has been edited by Rorschach (edited 01-09-2002 @ 02:17 PM).]

posted 01-09-02 03:00 PM EDT (US)     17 / 67  
Form LotR:

But at the end of the Third Age a troll-race not before seen appeared in southern Mirkwood and in the mountain borders of Mordor. Olog-hai they were called in the Black Speech. That Sauron bred them none doubted, though from what stock was not known. Some held that they were not Trolls but giant Orcs; but the Olog-hai were in fashion of body and mind quite unlike even the largest of Orc-kind, whom they far surpassed in size and power. Trolls they were, but filled with the evil will of their master: a fell race, strong, agile, fierce and cunning, but harder than stone. Unlike the older race of the Twilight they could endure the Sun, so long as the will of Sauron held sway over them. They spoke little, and the only tongue that they knew was the Black Speech of Barad-dr.

Kris

posted 01-09-02 04:01 PM EDT (US)     18 / 67  
Scary stuff.. was that from the appendix?
I don't have a copy with me.

That would be the Warlord then?

Anyway, my favourite 1lvl unit is the Goblin Darter. A pack of these with medals in support of a 3lvl is a great stack. And they are cheap

posted 10-18-02 06:05 AM EDT (US)     19 / 67  
Do you know why the halflings are as good/better than the Orcs at L1? Because Orcs kick halfling butt at the other levels (except maybe 3, but those warlords sure are good)
posted 12-13-03 11:09 AM EDT (US)     20 / 67  
SPOILER (?)

Giant Frogs I have found quite useful. Playing Hall of Heroes, I summonned a Frog with my leader (One only needs casting 3 to do it in one turn - first good point). I had found the undergrond to be full of Karaghs (They killed my unicorn before my first round started ). Anyway, I summoned one and put it ahead of the rest of my people on the bridge fight with two of them. The rest of my forces moved back. Sure enough, the Karaghs came, killed the frog, and left me free to throw boulders, cast spells, and shoot arrows at them. Whack.
Boars are annoying - 3 on each stat is the same as a hero without any skill points spent, but their charge ability makes them very damaging to low-level heroes.
In fact, putting these near a starting position is a good counter for the superhero strategy.

[This message has been edited by Dvorak (edited 12-13-2003 @ 11:21 AM).]

posted 06-11-04 06:14 PM EDT (US)     21 / 67  
I'd say pony riders, hell hounds, dark elf/elf archers, and elephants. Out of those, elephants are best.

The calvary charges...
posted 06-11-04 07:25 PM EDT (US)     22 / 67  
of course elephants are far the best, main reasion why to play azracs.

Honored Core Balance Team Member of UPatch 1.4
Also known as TirAsleen
Dwiggsvillain
posted 06-12-04 11:26 AM EDT (US)     23 / 67  
Pony riders are definately the best...
Theyre cheap, fast, charging, killer machines.
Elephants are only useful for their wall crushing, without it, they would suck.
On the other hand, pony riders would'nt suck at all without charge...

I have gone to find myself.
If i get back before i return, keep me here.

[This message has been edited by Silver_Dragon (edited 06-12-2004 @ 12:19 PM).]

posted 06-12-04 12:01 PM EDT (US)     24 / 67  
i am so afraid of ponies!

Also known as TirAsleen
Dwiggsvillain
posted 06-12-04 07:44 PM EDT (US)     25 / 67  

Quote:

Elephants are only useful for their wall crushing, without it, they would suck.

Eh, what about their 9 HP? And the fact that they rule with silver medal?

posted 06-13-04 06:15 AM EDT (US)     26 / 67  
ever seen a silver madel pony?

I have gone to find myself.
If i get back before i return, keep me here.
posted 06-13-04 11:50 AM EDT (US)     27 / 67  
my orcs eat pony meat everyday! and a quick hafling burger for lunch.

Also known as TirAsleen
Dwiggsvillain
posted 06-14-04 02:49 PM EDT (US)     28 / 67  
Hey, darkmystery. You realize a pony rider could stir-fry an orc swordsmen? And with 32 mp at that.

The calvary charges...

[This message has been edited by xie (edited 06-14-2004 @ 02:53 PM).]

posted 06-14-04 07:33 PM EDT (US)     29 / 67  
if you compare a pony with an orc swordsman, you compare apples with oranges.

however, i agree that orcs sucks on lvl1 compared to haflings, its one of the halflings advantages to be strong early on.

Also known as TirAsleen
Dwiggsvillain

[This message has been edited by DarkMystery (edited 06-14-2004 @ 07:39 PM).]

posted 06-21-04 02:20 PM EDT (US)     30 / 67  
orc swordsmen and pony riders are both lv.1 heavy hitters.

The calvary charges...
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies » Best Level 1 unit? Is there one?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames