AoW2/SM Mod Making
Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Unit ILB files.
posted 04-28-07 07:34 PM EDT (US)   
Hi.

Have been modding this game on and off for a while for home network use only, added hundreds of units from the major mods and changed... well everything, several replaced races etc... point is I need new units and cant find any, I search the forum often and download every new mod for inspiring units and the work you guys do is outstanding but am after yet more. If any of you have unreleased units you can share or a source I may not have found I would really appreciate being aware. I am a pretty decent 3D modeller and have started making robot units that way but I am not up to grips with the ins and outs of ILBs so it takes hours to install every image file...

Any help appreciated.

Replies:
posted 04-29-07 04:53 AM EDT (US)     1 / 12  
3D modeling would be a very appreciated skill in the UPatch team, I suppose. Anyhow, what help do you need with making ILBs? I have done a lot of them, and so has Kirky. Ask and you will be answered.

Paolo Guccione
Alephtar Games
posted 04-29-07 08:36 AM EDT (US)     2 / 12  
ok, so assume I have created a basic unit, made the background that blue colour, added a bone structure and animated all it's actions into 100 frames. I then save each frame as an image and repeat for all 6 angles leaving me with 600 frames, now I open the ILB editor and....

do I batch import? will that do it all in one for me?

posted 04-29-07 09:04 AM EDT (US)     3 / 12  
Of course you can batch import. First of all make sure you have named all your frames correctly. Assume you have created a unit animation that is called GoonRiveter. First you assign a name to all the animations (for example Idle, Walk, Attack, Hit, Death, Special). Then make sure you export your BMP files with the following name pattern:

<UnitName><AnimName>.<Direction>.<xxx>.bmp

UnitName is your unit's name
AnimName is the name given to your animation
Direction is the direction your unit is facing (1 = S, 2 = SE, etc.)
xxx is the three.-digit index of the frame in the animation sequence, starting from 000

So for instance the second frame of the NW Death sequence will be GoonRiveterDeath.5.001.bmp

Easy, isn't it?

You need not make the background blue, the ILB importer will automatically recognize the transparency color you used for the background. In fact, purple is much more common as a background color.

Now to the import. Open ILBEdit and select Batch->New batch. Select the folder where you have all of your animations. Uncheck all general options except Indexed Files Only Type the name of your new ILB file in the File Name box. In the Script file box, select a text file with a .ILS extention that has the following contents

Offset=-101
Index1=100
Index2=1
Idle=01
Walk=21
Attack=41
Death=61
Hit=81

The first three lines are fixed, the following five tell ILBedit to look for the Idle, Walk, Attack, Death and Hit animations and place them in the ILB, for all six directions, starting from the position given (+00 for S, +100 for SE, etc.). In all my experiments, it took an index of 01 to tell ILBEdit to start at the 00 position. Hit the Run button, tell ILBEdit that you are doing a Multi selection, and: Lo and Behold! Your ILB is there.

Making new unit ILBs from 3D models is an activity that could make you very popular on this board

Paolo Guccione
Alephtar Games
posted 04-29-07 09:32 AM EDT (US)     4 / 12  
well thankyou very much, that is an excellent step by step, I am going to make a simple mech scout thing and try it out, will get back to you when it is done.

quick question though, does this make south west 0 or 6?

[This message has been edited by Achilles reborn (edited 04-29-2007 @ 09:34 AM).]

posted 04-29-07 10:20 AM EDT (US)     5 / 12  
Six

Paolo Guccione
Alephtar Games
posted 04-29-07 11:02 AM EDT (US)     6 / 12  
ok cheers.

Also thanks for the "popular" line but I aint after popularity just a new race or two, my network has played my home mod to death so I'd like to bring them something brand new after summer break.

All new units I will make available to the community of course, I don't like to be a taker.

ahh it all works, pretty easy in the end, 3dmax renames the files in sequence so I dont even need to rename, still getting a slight echo of my background colour around the unit but I will work on that. Many Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Achilles reborn (edited 04-30-2007 @ 01:27 PM).]

posted 05-02-07 11:50 AM EDT (US)     7 / 12  
The echo is probably from edge anti-aliasing iirc.

I personally would kill to get my hands on some decent mechs.

If I may be so bold, would you mind doing several ships/vehicles I have modeled as well?

posted 05-02-07 05:51 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12  
Hi Achilles reborn,

Iīm a member of the upatch teams 1.4 and the new 1.5 and have read all in this thread now very excited.
I make new grafics and maps for the upatch 1.5.
What you are doing is exactly what we are looking for. We are realy be happy if we can get "real new self made units" that have no copyright from games companys.
We are looking more for quality as for quantity.
I made a suggestion to seach for someone like YOU that is confided with poser or 3DSMax. Itīs been a while since I made rendered images with 3DSMax myself and my skill was not very high. I have no time to make new units myself because Iīm realy working hard for upatch so far and there is no time left to digg deep into 3DSMax too. And I have no experiance with poser but have the tool. I love new units more than anything else (except mapmaking).
We have this days a very interesting discussion in our upatch 1.5 forum about new units.
I hope you real this and I hope that you maybe interested to do some things for the upatch 1.5.
Upatch is no mod that enlages the game in any direction like a mod. Upatch is the basic standard from that mods take their energy. Donīt get me wrong all mod makers. This words are not against your nice work.
If you like to make new self made units that are compareable to the original units (or even better), I please you to talk to us/me.
I have no rights to give you access to the upatch forum and Swolte our head of upatch team is away in May but I think he would be also happy if you can make units for the new upatch 1.5.
Letīs talk about this.
If you like to talk about it here or in emails
Kay.Vollbehr AT kielnet Dot net

AoWSM Maps: 1. Marlenes Welt 2. Marlenes Schatten 3. Marlenes Gnade
Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
11. AoW I Sound Set for AoWSM 12. Gentleman Rules Set
Need Help? The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe
Proud member of the Upatch 1.4, 1.5 & 1.6 Team

[This message has been edited by The Groll (edited 05-02-2007 @ 05:52 PM).]

posted 05-02-07 11:10 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12  
All my units will be available to the public when the race is complete.

I doubt I'd be much use for 1.5 because I have never made organic textures, I have made buildings, armour, weapons, spaceships and robots for several games.

P.S check here for the units I have made so far, if you want any just ask.

http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=33&tn=5126&st=recent&f=33,5126,0,60

[This message has been edited by Achilles reborn (edited 05-03-2007 @ 02:03 PM).]

posted 05-03-07 05:36 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12  
Looks not bad, Achilles reborn.

To technical/cyber but maybe you like to make some organic units in future or some "ancient like machines"?

AoWSM Maps: 1. Marlenes Welt 2. Marlenes Schatten 3. Marlenes Gnade
Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
11. AoW I Sound Set for AoWSM 12. Gentleman Rules Set
Need Help? The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe
Proud member of the Upatch 1.4, 1.5 & 1.6 Team
posted 05-03-07 05:47 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12  
I doubt I'd be much use for 1.5 because I have never made organic textures, I have made buildings, armour, weapons, spaceships and robots for several games.

Buildings, armour and weapons are needed for the 1.5 patch! (not as units, but as map structures and items). So if you make something that doesn't look too "SF-ish", please let us know!

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.

[This message has been edited by PawelS (edited 05-03-2007 @ 05:50 PM).]

posted 05-03-07 08:55 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12  
surely will.
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Mod Making » Unit ILB files.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames