Please login or register

Website Feedback & Announcements
Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: HG issues
posted 09-04-11 04:30 PM EDT (US)   
Hi - I'm having some problems with Heavengames.

When I'm at home, I am unable to connect to any of the Heavengames servers, either the forum servers, the AoWHeaven site, even Heavengames.com itself. I get a message saying that my web browser (Safari) cannot find the site. When I go somewhere else, however, and attempt to connect from elsewhere, I can get in just fine (as I am doing now writing this message).

At first I thought I might have had some kind of an IP ban, directed maybe at my house, but I've gotten no email about that, never done anything that I would think would warrant that, and my account that I'm posting this from still works, so if there is a ban involved I assume I am not the target. Is there a technical reason why my house router would not be able to see the Heavengames server? This is very annoying, and I would like to find a solution if there is one.

Thank you!

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign
Replies:
posted 09-04-11 06:15 PM EDT (US)     1 / 31  
I see no changes to your account on my end. It seems to be an issue on your end, though. Perhaps try a different browser and contact your ISP.

Let me know how it goes!

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 09-05-11 02:33 AM EDT (US)     2 / 31  
From time to time my computer have a problem to connect to the HG servers/pages while I it can reach all other servers/pages without a problem. The HG site then never opens or (with luck) it takes ages.
The computer never have this problems with many other web pages I often visit. Only HG creates this errors.
After I while I accept this strange "doing" but it does not create much joy.

AoWSM Maps: 1. Marlenes Welt 2. Marlenes Schatten 3. Marlenes Gnade
Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
11. AoW I Sound Set for AoWSM 12. Gentleman Rules Set
Need Help? The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe
Proud member of the Upatch 1.4, 1.5 & 1.6 Team
posted 09-05-11 10:01 AM EDT (US)     3 / 31  
It's most likely that your ISP blocks access to the site or an IP range which HG sites is in it. At my place I have Facebook blocked just like that. When I was with my former ISP, my IP was blocked by HG site as I got an "access deny" message from HG forums.

I'd suggest changing your DNS settings to Open DNS or Google DNS. It fixes my Facebook issue most of the time.
Another method would be using a third party VPN software or using proxy to redirect your connection.

Tired of manually receiving/sending your PBEM turns everyday ? Try out Dave's PBEM Wrapper!
posted 09-06-11 11:59 AM EDT (US)     4 / 31  
Well, switching browsers doesn't work - I've now tried Firefox and Chrome as well as Safari and am still unable to connect. Naeco, what is DNS and how do I change it?

Thanks for your help/suggestions, everyone.

posted 09-07-11 03:04 AM EDT (US)     5 / 31  
See here

https://store.opendns.com/setup/computer/

GoogleDNS is 8.8.8.8
posted 09-07-11 09:06 AM EDT (US)     6 / 31  
Long winded explaination follows:

DNS is an acronym for "Name Name Service" and is the internet protocol by which symbolic names (such as "heavengames.com) are resolved to actual numeric IP addresses. To do so, your OS's TCP/IP stack (independen of the browser itself) must first access a "known" IP address of the sever which performs the lookup. For most people this address is obtained automatically via the DHCP server.

Since an IP lookup on your post address indicates you are coming in from a University network, I'll go along with naeco's suggestion re HG being selectively blocked as some schools as well as businesses these days seem to have an annoying tendency to blacklist "gaming" sites.

gzip's suggestion involves forcing an alternative primary DNS server via your Windows Settings. If that is in fact you problem it should work, though I'm not sure what baggage Google may attach to that service, given they ask you to "register for an account" in order to "fully use it." Caveat Emptor

ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum
posted 09-07-11 10:23 AM EDT (US)     7 / 31  
Well, the university network is the network that isn't blocking HG - the network from which I can't access HG is at home. I also use a Macintosh, so Windows Settings doesn't exist, although I should be able to find the equivalent. I'll look around. But I still don't understand what you mean by "Google DNS"...

posted 09-07-11 01:31 PM EDT (US)     8 / 31  
Ah, sorry, my mistake, "Google DNS" and "Open DNS" are two public DNS servers that many people use, in the belief that larger servers (with a larger database of cached addresses) should give faster response*. gzip mentions both, but the link he gives is actually to the latter, not to Google's. That page however appears to link to the relevant instructions for the three current Mac systems which will be them same no matter what address you use.
posted 09-08-11 12:39 PM EDT (US)     9 / 31  
Although both Open DNS and Google DNS suggest you to sign up to " receive the full benefits" of the service, you don't need to do so. Simply follow instruction in gzip's link and enter the primary and secondary IP for DNS
Open DNS:
Google DNS:

Tired of manually receiving/sending your PBEM turns everyday ? Try out Dave's PBEM Wrapper!
posted 09-09-11 02:40 PM EDT (US)     10 / 31  
Tried to change my DNS, and it did not solve the problem.

I also tried to ping Heavengames while at home and am unable to even get a response by pinging. I don't know if an ISP's restrictive behavior would stop a ping or not, but that sounds pretty basic...

posted 09-09-11 02:59 PM EDT (US)     11 / 31  
Try tracert heavengames.com instead of ping, it sometimes helps understanding where the problem occurs.

Author of the post is not responsible for any side effects of reading it, including mental trauma, blown up brains, hurt feelings, law violation, sudden death or understanding what the hell author meant.
---------------
Twitter
MP Evolution 2.0 | Lab break 1.0

[This message has been edited by HellBrick (edited 09-09-2011 @ 03:01 PM).]

posted 09-09-11 05:14 PM EDT (US)     12 / 31  
I am now unable to access HG from campus as well, unless I do it from another computer (as I am doing at the moment). It's as if something is taking over my computer so that I can't connect...

Pinging tracert.heavengames.com does no better than www.heavengames.com. If tracert itself is the command, then UNIX doesn't have it...

posted 09-09-11 09:28 PM EDT (US)     13 / 31  
Are you saying that your laptop itself cannot connect to HG at home or at school? Then you should look at your laptop for issues.

posted 09-10-11 00:17 AM EDT (US)     14 / 31  
That's what it's doing now, although it can access the rest of the internet just fine.

I also noticed that something strange has happened to my copy of Norton Antivirus. I reinstalled it and am now scanning the system. We'll see if it picks up anything that might be responsible.

posted 09-10-11 03:27 AM EDT (US)     15 / 31  
If tracert itself is the command, then UNIX doesn't have it...
Google says that traceroute is a Unix version.

Though the situation really doesn't look like a pure network problem anymore...

Author of the post is not responsible for any side effects of reading it, including mental trauma, blown up brains, hurt feelings, law violation, sudden death or understanding what the hell author meant.
---------------
Twitter
MP Evolution 2.0 | Lab break 1.0

[This message has been edited by HellBrick (edited 09-10-2011 @ 03:27 AM).]

posted 09-10-11 11:46 AM EDT (US)     16 / 31  
No, I don't know what's going on. I am now at a third location (an automobile dealership), using my laptop to access this site. It had stopped working accessing Heavengames at either my house or my campus, but now it starts working here. I have no idea what could be causing this...

posted 09-10-11 01:06 PM EDT (US)     17 / 31  
Addendum: I am trying to ping HG as I write this, and am getting no response, despite my being able to post this...

posted 09-15-11 06:35 PM EDT (US)     18 / 31  
Update: I finally used traceroute. It is able to find servers until it arrives at this one, at which point it fails:

13 po1.car04.hstntx1.networklayer.com (207.218.223.14) 59.296 ms po2.car04.hstntx1.networklayer.com (207.218.245.14) 80.231 ms po1.car04.hstntx1.networklayer.com (207.218.223.14) 63.409 ms

Incidentally, I am now able to access Heavengames from campus from my laptop again. So it's something about the server path from my house...

posted 09-15-11 09:39 PM EDT (US)     19 / 31  
I couldn't access the site for several hours today.

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 09-16-11 07:41 PM EDT (US)     20 / 31  
Sorry if I am telling nonsens or even be a little bit off topic but...

The site is often slow or unavailable for a while.
Often when I only want to write a fast daily report in a PBEM game.
I canīt imagine that I have to do all this technical stuff only to visit a simple standard web page.
I can visit all other pages on this globe and when I have this problems with HG pages I donīt have problems with all other pages.
So it is a little bit frustration to try again and again and waste time.
It should be able to access a simple web page like HG pages.
HG pages are the problem not my computer.
I am a silly user - I know - but I want it easy.

Edit: Just now again it takes a minute to post the text I wrote.
Maybe the animated advertising banners are the problem sometimes.

Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake

[This message has been edited by The Groll (edited 09-16-2011 @ 07:43 PM).]

posted 09-16-11 08:49 PM EDT (US)     21 / 31  
I often have the same problems as The Groll.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 09-16-11 11:44 PM EDT (US)     22 / 31  
Me too.

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings |SM|> #E4ED38 #EBEBEB #CC2D29 #CC29D5
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men |SM|> #DE8EA4 #F09245 #D2BE92 #BDBDE8 #558CDD
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead |SM|> #1DDB38 #83795A #2CAAA4 #AC762A
Colors for AoW1 and AoWSM **A Proud Member of the Unofficial Patch Team!** ~2010 AoWSM PBEM Singles Champion~ http://blog.noblemaster.com/
posted 09-18-11 08:32 PM EDT (US)     23 / 31  
It's getting worse for me lately, most of the time I can't access the site in reasonable time, hence the lack of turn logs of PBEM turns I played. I don't have such problems with any other website.

Edit: I just noticed this news at the main HG page, which explains it:
We are having some temporary server issues that are leading to the site's pages loading rather slowly. In addition, our download section is currently unreachable. Please bear with us as we hammer these issues out!

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.

[This message has been edited by PawelS (edited 09-18-2011 @ 08:35 PM).]

posted 09-19-11 03:01 PM EDT (US)     24 / 31  
Site has been down for me the previous couple days, even now I managed to come here after some tedious loading times.

Also, I'm unable to log in with FF.
posted 09-19-11 07:18 PM EDT (US)     25 / 31  
Apparently there are problems with the downloads server that is causing HG-wide problems. Investigations are underway... There is no ETA at the moment as to when things will be resolved.

My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 09-24-11 09:14 AM EDT (US)     26 / 31  
Should be fixed!

posted 09-24-11 12:40 PM EDT (US)     27 / 31  
It's better now, but still sometimes it takes a long time to load the site.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 09-24-11 03:46 PM EDT (US)     28 / 31  
Yep, it's been like that ever since I first started coming around though. At least the downloads are working fine again!

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings |SM|> #E4ED38 #EBEBEB #CC2D29 #CC29D5
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men |SM|> #DE8EA4 #F09245 #D2BE92 #BDBDE8 #558CDD
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead |SM|> #1DDB38 #83795A #2CAAA4 #AC762A
Colors for AoW1 and AoWSM **A Proud Member of the Unofficial Patch Team!** ~2010 AoWSM PBEM Singles Champion~ http://blog.noblemaster.com/
posted 06-03-12 05:43 AM EDT (US)     29 / 31  
Too lazy to create a new thread about a similar issue so I use this one instead.

I find that the site is unusually slow the past few days and especially when replying and posting new messages.

This is bad timing as I'm coming back to be more active

posted 06-03-12 07:54 AM EDT (US)     30 / 31  
Same here naecO.
Takes up to a minute or more to create a post.
Also jumping to another thread takes many seconds.

Very ugly.

posted 05-18-13 01:18 AM EDT (US)     31 / 31  
do you love me ? I like you~ Are you like dancing?

Runescape Gold
D3 Gold
Cheap Runescape Gold
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » Website Feedback & Announcements » HG issues
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames