Please login or register

AoW1 Scenario & Campaign Design
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Map Making Help--AI behaviour
posted 05-08-14 11:14 AM EDT (US)   
I am new to the forums. I am currently working on a map with three races. I am having a few issues.

On one half of the map are elves, humans, and highmen. The highmen are allied to the elves and humans. The humans and elves are at peace, but share a border. On the other half of the map are the undead. I want the humans and the elves to not necessarily be at peace, but to not jump at each other's throats. Is there any way to accomplish this?

If you are the elves, you will have lots of magic, small towns, little gold, and pre-existing irreplaceable high-level units.

If you are the humans, you will have a reasonable-sized army, lots of gold (farms, little magic, and an immediate threat of the undead.

Then, there are the highmen. In the backstory, they just finished a particularly destructive war. They have the option of chasing down a few neutral evil units with their remaining army, which is cut off from their homeland. They also are in possession of ruins of several large cities, builders, and enough money to rebuid from scratch. My problem is that the AI will not rebuild. Is there any way to encourage an AI to rebuild?
Replies:
posted 05-09-14 11:49 AM EDT (US)     1 / 4  
Welcome to the forums, and thanks for your participation in the map-making community!

1. I've been playing AOW since it came out, and I've never, ever, seen the AI use a builder for anything other than slowing down a stack of units. :-(

2. There are several methods you can use to prevent two factions from being able to immediately cross into each other's territory.
-You can use mountain ranges and water, so that only units with those movement types can cross.
-You can use things that penalize/discourage passage, like fires, unholy woods, poison plants, pestilence clouds, etc.
-You can use inverted terrain techniques and put stone cavern walls on the surface. This prevents ALL units, even fliers, from passing. HOWEVER, there is a bug with this approach that any unit with a "Path" ability will overwrite the cavern wall with the corresponding "Path" terrain. E.g., a Nature Elemental will turn cavern walls into grass.

Hope that helps!
posted 05-09-14 02:22 PM EDT (US)     2 / 4  
That's true and altars that alter terrain, will also destroy the cave rock walls.
You can look also at Second God War to see examples of that technique. Or Three Kingdoms where I tried to emulate the Great Wall of China. If you place the walls along water it makes it more difficult for them to be destroyed by paths at least on one side. So you could have Island city surrounded by
cave rock, and a moat, to protect it from path effects.
Here is a screenshot of a dungeon partially protected by cave rock: (lower right hand corner of my maps page).
http://aow.heavengames.com/oldmaps/ginette/aowScenariosByAuthor.html

[This message has been edited by ffbj (edited 05-09-2014 @ 02:38 PM).]

posted 05-13-14 12:20 PM EDT (US)     3 / 4  
Thanks, all.

I will try to keep elves and human apart a bit. In the back story, they have a history of warfare. I suppose placing a few barriers would fit the story.

With respect to the builders, I am more conncerned in that the three races are meant to each have certain advantages. Humans are rich, with a lower level army, elves are magical, with high level units, but no ability to replace them if they are lost, and the highmen have few cities, but the potential to come back from ruin more powerful than before.

It does not work quite so well when the highmen never rebuild!
posted 02-19-15 10:15 PM EDT (US)     4 / 4  
The stripes are visible also at different resolution, and also on an external monitor... so the problem doesn't depend by my LCD panel.
This is the only game with that defect, the other games and 3DMark runs perfectly.
Any suggestions?
Here the links:

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames