Please login or register

AoW1 Scenario & Campaign Design
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Placing Underground Rock Terrain on the Surface Level
posted 03-28-12 02:29 PM EDT (US)   
What are the steps to put impassable rock terrain (usually found underground) on the surface level?
Replies:
posted 04-12-12 09:35 AM EDT (US)     1 / 5  
Didn't know you could. I'll be lurking to see who replies with the steps.
posted 04-12-12 08:01 PM EDT (US)     2 / 5  
Hello, Mac_Biodiesel

I have made a guess that you might be looking either for this guide on terrain inversion tricks written by forum member and AOW scenario designer Dix.

Here is an excerpt from Dix's guide...

3.Can underground terrain/graphics be used on the top level?

No, absolutely not, the game will crash.

So, according to this Dix's guide, your request sounds like it can't happen for AOW1.

Or, I also believe that you could be thinking about underground terrain on the surface in an AOW2 scenario or in an AOWSM scenario as talked about in this thread.

Here is an excerpt from Roger's thread...

Quoted from Swolte
Hey Roger,

1) As far as I know, you cannot place diggable earth on the surface without problems (was recently looking into it w v15) but its easy to place cavern tiles from the [caverns] tab. This was done in TT map. Be aware that 'path of' abilities will make it disappear.

V15 will come with ones that do not.

2) There are two ways to do it. The old fashioned way (as seen in DoD) is to have change terrain events. The better way is, if you play v14, or any mod built on top of it, there should be a tile under [Shadow] that allows you to place it.

I hope this helped.

Cheers!

[This message has been edited by flyguy (edited 04-12-2012 @ 08:03 PM).]

posted 04-13-12 03:30 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5  
Thanks for the reply! Actually, Dix is wrong - it CAN be done, and there are AOW 1 maps to prove it. I think Journey to the Safelands is one of them (if I got the name correct). That's a single-player map. It uses underground rock above ground. The one problem is that units with "Path" abilities will override the rock with their own terrain.

I don't play AOW 2 or SM, so I am definitely referring to AOW 1.
posted 04-14-12 12:56 PM EDT (US)     4 / 5  
The one problem is that units with "Path" abilities will override the rock with their own terrain.
Be aware that 'path of' abilities will make it disappear.
I see that the parent game AOW1 has passed the gene for terrain tiles that have no natural immunity to path-of abilities to its offspring game AOWSM.

As Swolte posted in the AoW2/SM Scenario Design forum on 08-12-08 regarding Roger's thread entitled 'Creating shadowland and cavern terrain on the surface'...

V15 will come with ones that do not.

So UPatch 1.5 is planning to do a gene-splice operation on AOWSM to create terrain tiles that have no susceptibility to path-of abilities.

Perhaps there is hope that someone will be able to perform some beneficial surgery on the AOW1 game engine.

edit:

Dix's statement...No, absolutely not, the game will crash...was, I believe, made before the discovery of how to perform the placement underground graphics on the surface was made.

If you go to the link I posted the editors have left this message in some medium blue colored type...

(Editor note: We all know that FFBJ uses underground terrain on the top in the same way as we would put top terrain tiles underground. Apparently most 'illegal editor placements',as some of us map makers refer to, are possible, but we suspect that there are some issues with the water and lava graphics which can cause occassional disasters. Dix did release a version of Hunters of Blood II with some underground graphics on the surface later on. We would like to emphasize extensive testing when trying something new.)

[This message has been edited by flyguy (edited 04-14-2012 @ 05:06 PM).]

posted 08-28-12 02:54 PM EDT (US)     5 / 5  
Check out my Three Kingdoms map, where I tried to simulate the Great Wall of China. Then the first use of it was in Second God War. Terrain changing effects from pathing spells, and altar destroy it. Otherwise it cannot be removed. The big no-no and you get the infamous oh-no which crashes your map is to put surface water underground.
From Ginette's map archive, there is a screenshot at the bottome right which contains lava, rock, and underground dirt, all on the surface. Also Conquest of Zanid has lots of underground dirt on the surface. Also bear in mind that terrain changing altars blast it underground too, that is all underground terrain is wiped out.
Cheers!
http://aow.heavengames.com/oldmaps/ginette/aowScenariosByAuthor.html

[This message has been edited by ffbj (edited 08-28-2012 @ 03:05 PM).]

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Scenario & Campaign Design » Placing Underground Rock Terrain on the Surface Level
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames