You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 Scenario & Campaign Design
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Family "Role-play" campaigns; anyone else tried these?
posted 11-01-11 03:48 PM EDT (US)   
I've been a role player for a couple of decades, and I thought it might be fun to try to add role-playing elements to AOW. Some of the aspects are obvious; quests and such, but the biggest difference between a classic role play experience and an electronic game, IMO, is the GM.

I've been designing several fairly large-scale adventures with interactive quests and win conditions that I couldn't create automatically (I think). For example, one goal of the game is to "Bring Hope back into the World". There is one town named Hope, and eleven razed towns hidden over the 3 level map all named "Hope" (12 in all, of all the player races).

The way I play "GM" is to put my character in a corner of third level with lots of money and magic and teleporters that go all over the word, several heroes to send out to "interact" and then cast Watcher in such a way as to blanket all areas of the world where anything important might happen.

That way I can intervene if one of the players is having trouble (getting overrun by the Evil Undead, who are the "villains" of the campaign). Not in the spirit of a competitive you-lose-you-die game, but certainly in line with role play tradition in my house.

Also, I'm hoping my kids will be able to play, and they'll need a lot of support. I'm creating a series of tiny camapigns for my son, each one introducing a new aspect of the game. This week's is "magic", as I noticed he dismisses the research window when it comes up, so in this game he can't get off the island unless he researches Water Walking. I figure he'll keep throwing himself at the game until he gets frustrated enough to ask for help, as I've already warned him several times not to ignore the research.

I've got a page of ideas for the campaign, but I'd love to hear from anyone else who has ideas, especially for quests and activities that encourage cooperation between players.
Replies:
posted 11-04-11 01:04 PM EDT (US)     1 / 4  
This sounds very cool! You should upload those maps to this site. I wonder if you can use the cheat codes to give your GM the ability to see the whole map immediately, without it affecting the other players.

By the way, have you played Neverwinter Nights?
posted 11-04-11 05:27 PM EDT (US)     2 / 4  
I did. My hubby and I both played around with it for a while but it was so buggy and complicated to use (at that time, it was only about a year old) that we finally gave up. The thing I like about AOW for this is that it essentially still a conquest type game with clear rules for play, which means you have clear rules of engagement and progress, so the kids don't end up wandering around wondering what it is okay to do.

It also has a very quick setup. I can create and playtest a training game for my son in five minutes; there aren't many games of which you could make that claim.

I think I may put together the series of games that I'm creating for my son into a progressive set, and maybe put them into DropBox. That makes it easy to keep available and updated.
posted 04-09-15 01:21 AM EDT (US)     3 / 4  
Also, I'm hoping my kids will be able to play, and they'll need a lot of support. I'm creating a series of tiny camapigns for my son, each one introducing a new aspect of the game. This week's is "magic", as I noticed he dismisses the research window when it comes up, so in this game he can't get off the island unless he researches Water Walking. I figure he'll keep throwing himself at the game until he gets frustrated enough to ask for help, as I've already warned him several times not to ignore the research.
posted 11-11-17 09:47 AM EDT (US)     4 / 4  
This is a very cool idea. I've always loved this game, and I definitely love roleplaying, but I've never taken the time to produce maps even though I do enjoy creating worlds.

I think I might borrow this idea and start making some maps of my own to see first of all if I can create a sort of tutorial to get other people into the game and also perhaps to make my own campaign with a story and a whole little area of the AoW world.

~ DaemonVirus

#7373DE for Humans #6BB54A for Elves #B563BD for Dark Elves
#EFB573 for Azracs #EFE773 for Halflings #F74242 for Orcs
#4AA58C for Lizard Men #D6AD8C for Dwarves #BD7352 for Goblins
#9CC6E7 for Frostlings #EFEFDE for High Men #947B73 for The Undead
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Scenario & Campaign Design » Family "Role-play" campaigns; anyone else tried these?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames