AoW1 Scenario & Campaign Design
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: New map in the works...
posted 04-18-11 08:10 AM EDT (US)   
Dear all;
I am trying to go for something a bit different again, I'm making an Aow1 version of the Mines of Moria from Lord of the Rings. With some luck, it might play a bit like a tactical combat fight for the whole game.

The objective is for the good players to run the gauntlet and get through to mines to the forest of Lorien. The evil players have to try and stop them using whatever means they can.

It will be played with Leaders On. For the good side to win, some locations in Lorien (after exiting the mines) must be captured (this is just a way of detecting that you made it through). For the evil side to win all the good leaders must die.

On the good side youíll have Humans (Aragorn), Elves (Legolas), Halflings (Frodo Baggins), Dwarves (Gimli) and Highmen (Mithrandir). On the Evil side you have Goblins (Mazog) and Orcs (Gorothķl). Good side will have no cities at their disposal but the Evil side will.

The good players will obviously start as an alliance, as will the evil side. The good players enter the mines through Durins Door near the Pool of the Watcher and will have numerous choices about which route they can take through the mines. They can split up, or stay together. It should be a good RPG experience.

So this is a totally new map with everything being created from scratch. Any ideas, warnings, suggestions, feel free to let me know
Replies:
posted 04-18-11 11:16 AM EDT (US)     1 / 7  
Interesting idea!

Do you plan for the good leaders to start off with a medium to high level? Having a leader start with SpellCasting IV or V might be a good idea. I wouldn't allow lvl 4 spells, though.

What do you plan to use for the balrog? A fire elemental?

Will there be a time limit for the good leaders?

The good side wins if even one unit (leader or summoned) makes it to Lorien?
posted 04-18-11 05:35 PM EDT (US)     2 / 7  
There is a mod that I made called the Arda Mapset that you might use.

Is this intended to be a multiplayer co-op map? I ask because the setup feels more RPG-like than anything else.

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign
posted 04-19-11 07:21 AM EDT (US)     3 / 7  
Yes I was going to give Mithrandir (Gandalf) spell casting 4 or 5 and try to make all the other characters have strengths and weaknesses in relation to their LOTR characters. Everyone will start off at level 4 I think. Each character also has an item to help them too. Things like the Ring of Power for Frodo, Bow of Mirkwood for Legolas, Zigilburk for Gimli etc.

I could use a fire elemental for the Balrog, but I donít think that would be tough enough. Itís not going to be totally true to the book and require Mithrandir to sacrifice himself on the Kazad-doom bridge.

The map will be designed as a team co-op, 5 leaders on the good side and 2 on the evil side. The winning conditions I am not quite sure about yet, I was thinking about making some locations that have to be captured by the good side in order for them to win. But I could also make it so that the evil side can win by taking possession of the Ring of Power. Not sure if the map editor lets you do that.

Anyway if you have any ideas, do let me know
posted 04-21-11 11:40 AM EDT (US)     4 / 7  
Sounds like fun, I'll be watching for it when you release it.

You may also want to check out the LoTR stuff in the downloads section, there are some maps/mods/faces etc that folks have uploaded over the years. I've played the LoTR Lighthawks Reign of Terror map as an example.

As far as the demon balrog goes I agree, a fire elemental isn't very hard hitting, you might have to go with a syron instead... you'll figure it out.

2009 1v1 Mapmaking Competition 1st Place MapBattle of Enioch
posted 04-21-11 04:52 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7  
Perhaps a syron modified with the fire halo spell then? Or maybe a custom hero with fire buffs, or a pack of 4 fire elementals that together represent the balrog.... etc.
posted 05-11-11 01:35 PM EDT (US)     6 / 7  
Here is a little preview of it
[PNG, (399.84 KB)]
posted 05-11-11 04:03 PM EDT (US)     7 / 7  
Looking forward to seeing the result

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead
Thank you to TravisII for this great idea!
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Scenario & Campaign Design » New map in the works...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames