Please login or register

AoW1 Scenario & Campaign Design
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: General Reminders
posted 03-29-02 06:39 PM EDT (US)   
I have been looking through some maps and I have several where message pop ups are used but triggers are not set. The message pop ups will not work if they have not been selected.

2)

Please put your ID name and title in the introduction of the scenario, so that your players can trace your map back to where they have downloaded it from. This helps especially if players have downloaded several maps on the same day. Put your e-mail too if you like, I have found that some players prefer to give private feedbacks rather than posting them.

3) I don't know if it is deliberate, but several maps have no music selected.

4) Put the 'signs' and fill them as you put them down on the map, so that you will not miss out on them.

5) Please watch out that your teleporters do not lead to mountains or water (unless you actually want them to) instead of passable land.

6) If you want a message to pop-up on the player's first turn, set the message to pop-up on NEW TURN, not Instant.

Bluecollarheaven
"Where there is imagination, the possibilities are endless."
Age Of Wonders 2 Heaven | AOW2H Scenario Designers' Hall

[This message has been edited by Bluecollarheaven (edited 04-21-2002 @ 06:48 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03-30-02 04:32 AM EDT (US)     1 / 8  
Thank you for these kindly reminders. Starting tomorrow Iíll be absent from the forums for a few months, so I hope youíll still be here giving out expert advice when I get back and begin making my very first AOWII map. You were so critical to my ever having been inspired. Thanks again for everything, dear Blue.

~Fingers~

posted 03-30-02 01:16 PM EDT (US)     2 / 8  
As about music in maps, I thought if no one was selected, they were selected all!! (by default) (silly?)
posted 03-30-02 06:24 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8  
Not silly at all, Ramas, you are right, they are all selected. I don't know why, I remembered playing one map and it was silent, and it sort of stuck in my mind that they had to be selected to play.

Fingers, it would have been a pity if you had not made that map to demostrate your wonderful ideas.

Bluecollarheaven
"Where there is imagination, the possibilities are endless."
Age Of Wonders 2 Heaven | AOW2H Scenario Designers' Hall

[This message has been edited by Bluecollarheaven (edited 03-30-2002 @ 06:36 PM).]

posted 03-30-02 11:52 PM EDT (US)     4 / 8  
I have my own music.

'aryx'

Included with my FFMQ Music Pack.

Yeah, i end up literally 'editing' the maps, and selecting music and fixing things...ugh.

I squee'd like a fangirl when the Frostlings were announced for AoW3. True story.
posted 03-31-02 00:02 AM EDT (US)     5 / 8  
I never listen to music in a game after the first few hours, so I never think about music when I design a map. I don't even know what the selections sound like.
posted 03-31-02 02:04 PM EDT (US)     6 / 8  
Just pick a song that "fits" your overall theme and story. If it is a single-player map fit the songs with the race you are playing. However, if you don't know what fits, just add "In the Company of Elves", "Clouds and Feuds", or my personal favorite "Love and Death" to the music list. Cynon I overall liked your music add-ons to AOW, especially Magus's Theme (Chrono Trigger). BTW, if you haven't tried, the music from FF7 is fun to add onto AOW.
posted 07-05-06 02:58 AM EDT (US)     7 / 8  
Well Tekk I have to say, You've got some good taste in AoW music.

It is also good to remember that a DETAILED map is not necissarily a GOOD one. Balance, game events (messages) and random small quests are what makes maps fun at least for me.

A highly detailed terrain is not always a necissary prerequisite for me to make a good and strong map. I'd like to state an example: The Silmarillion - Dagor Bragollach by Tekk Zero.

At some points the map looks excellent in details, at others it looks, sorry to say Tekk, like crap and looks as if the creator barely spent 5 minutes on that single area. But in the end the map makes up for its difficulty, roleplaying and the true feeling of being in Middle Earth fighting the Dark Lord Morgoth.

Truth is elusive to those who refuse to see with both eyes.
posted 06-13-17 01:26 AM EDT (US)     8 / 8  
Put your e-mail too if you like, I have found that some players prefer to give private feedbacks rather than posting them.
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Scenario & Campaign Design » General Reminders
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames