Please login or register

AoW1 Scenario & Campaign Design
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Map Makers - Make Backups During Design
posted 02-09-02 07:07 AM EDT (US)   
We have seen too many map makers expressing their frustration over maps lost forever because of the crashing editor bug. I thought I should put this thread here to save new map makers from the consequenses of that unpleasant experience.

The problem is that sometimes the editor crashes, and in that crash it destroys the map you're currently editing. That map will be lost forever.

So, make backup copies of your map while your designing it. As soon as you have someting completed that you don't want to lose, make a new backup copy.

Replies:
posted 02-09-02 07:24 AM EDT (US)     1 / 15  
Good idea putting this up as sticky, Nojd.

There's no saving the map when you see this message: "Oh dear..."

Bluecollarheaven
"Where there is imagination, the possibilities are endless."
Age Of Wonders 2 Heaven | AOW2H Scenario Designers' Hall

[This message has been edited by Bluecollarheaven (edited 02-09-2002 @ 07:37 AM).]

posted 02-09-02 11:18 AM EDT (US)     2 / 15  
Yeah, saving another copy would help, but i still dont know how i caused it?
posted 02-09-02 11:20 AM EDT (US)     3 / 15  
sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky.

I remember once I got that message, scared the living snot out of me, that I ran outside to the bomb shelter, thinking we were going to be attacked by them Soviets. It was then I remembered that the USSR is dead, and that my, "bomb shelter" was little more than an outhouse with a food stash. I went back to my computer, and since the only option it gave me was, "Ok", I put on a happy face, ready for whatever end was nigh. I clicked on it, expecting to be blasted in to oblivion, but all it did was quit the editor and have a hissy fit every time I tried to reload the map...dang that sucks...

posted 02-09-02 01:34 PM EDT (US)     4 / 15  
Suppose I'm making Warm Crevice 6. I save it as WC6 each time I've done some work, especially if I add new heroes or items. But then I ALSO save it step by step as WC6a, WC6b, WC6c etc

Then if for example I find, when playtesting it, that it has a bug in it I can go back a stage or two to see if it solves the problem

I don't save them in the default AoW directories either, but in a new one I created in the root directory called NEW MAPS. That way my multiple saves don't clog up the working directories, and if I re-install AoW I don't lose a load of maps either

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 02-09-02 11:38 PM EDT (US)     5 / 15  
Yes, I normally make a save for every significant change I add to a map. So far my map backup saves has numbered well past 300 in my new map. It would be a shame to waste a wonderful map to the infamous "Oh Dear, it is the end" bug. Safety first or you'll be sorry!
posted 02-10-02 06:03 PM EDT (US)     6 / 15  
I believe that the message appears because the map cannot update itself after the last changes, like if you delete away the middle level (between level 2 and 0). It would mean that some cave entrances suddenly do not exist and some teleport locations are impossible.

There is another message I've seen and it sounded like a virus - but it comes so quickly I couldn't capture it: Destroying level 1...
Destroying level 2...

Zap! Error!

Bluecollarheaven
posted 02-10-02 06:17 PM EDT (US)     7 / 15  

Quote:

Destroying level 1...
Destroying level 2...

You get that when you try to open a Warlock Rules map when you have Triumph's standard rules installed.
posted 03-30-02 01:47 PM EDT (US)     8 / 15  
Since they put in the AOW code the strange screen "Destroy level 1..." also localized in my language ("Distruzione livello 1..") where it was intended to pop up?
posted 03-30-02 06:28 PM EDT (US)     9 / 15  
It pops up when the map cannot consolidate the changes you have made on the map. It goes into self destruction that way and after that the file is forever corrupted and cannot be fixed.

Bluecollarheaven
posted 04-12-02 05:39 PM EDT (US)     10 / 15  
Holy Snot! I've been flying without a net, and didn't even realise that there was hard, rocky ground beneath me!

...Actually, on my current map (coming soon!) I made one change too many, and I had to do a bit of brain wracking to figure out how to fix the changes.

posted 07-01-03 01:02 AM EDT (US)     11 / 15  
Yes, this is very a irritating error. You might get really far in your map, make all these things you wanted, and it's turning out perfectly.

And then BAM. It's all gone, and no matter how hard you try, you cant do what you did again...it's just not the same.

> Heštor
"Great spirits have always suffered violent opposition from mediocre minds."

> FictionPress | DeviantArt

posted 06-05-04 01:33 PM EDT (US)     12 / 15  
Is the sentence ,,There's no saving the map when you see this message: "Oh dear..."" really true? Today I was trying use new hero faces pack and that message appeared, but my map still exists! Why? I've got 1.36 AoW version - is it the reason (many mapmakers uses older version, because they enable them to use Terrain inversion Trick, and make some other special things).
Gandalf the White

posted 05-16-05 07:00 PM EDT (US)     13 / 15  
Have you ever had one of those old telephone answering machines - still using tape (not the fancy digital ones of nowadays)? Well they always put a marker at the beginning and at the end of each message. When you cue the cassette back and then receive new messages sometimes the machine gets confused by the old markers, if these have not been properly erased.

That is what happens when you use the same file name for backup every time. The flags for beginning and end of file change their position on the harddisk as your map file grows. Sometimes the old flags don't get erased when overriting the file again and again and then you have a corrupt file.

Therefore do as Roger suggested: Don't use the same file name all of the time. Slightly alter it each time. This also holds true for saved games. I sometimes had the "Destroying Level" message when I had been using the same save game slot too often.

posted 09-02-05 11:48 PM EDT (US)     14 / 15  

Quote:

Yes, this is very a irritating error. You might get really far in your map, make all these things you wanted, and it's turning out perfectly.
And then BAM. It's all gone, and no matter how hard you try, you cant do what you did again...it's just not the same.

Well thank god for this error! "Destroying level 1, 2 3" etc

frankly it has pissed me off atm since it semeingly corrupted my nearly finished map called "Glory of N˙menor", however i think i have a save file somewhere on a floppy disk, so thank god for the 1.14Mb old fashioned disks! :P i think i have it, not sure, will try to fix this somehow :S

sorry guys for the delay on my maps, my Real Life is really busy atm, gaming is not a priority these days :'(

doing my best for all LotR fans,
Irmo

Truth is elusive to those who refuse to see with both eyes.
posted 02-08-09 09:35 PM EDT (US)     15 / 15  
"Oh dear, it's the end..."

This error message is so shadowy, sinister and humanlike, recieving it at random times when editing certain attributes, it gives the impression that the editor's files have been hacked or schemed!
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Scenario & Campaign Design » Map Makers - Make Backups During Design
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames