You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Nostalgic visit - Apprentice III (Draco and Enginerd vs Sprout and CSH)
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 02-28-08 06:03 PM EDT (US)   
This is the new thread to discuss the 2v2 game and the thread for the turn logs.

Map - I'll find and post about one later tonight.

Team HG will be Angel Draco and Enginerd
vs.
Sprout and CSH (couldn't figure it out from the posts)

I'll update the header and the main post here once we've got everything figured out.

Draco is Dark Elves (francermak at juno dot com)
Enginerd is Golbins (mjschuck at fidnet dot com)
vs
Balak of Thorn as Dwarves rastrom dot valla at (telia dot com) Sprout as Dwarves speicherb at gmail dot com
CrazySlyHawk as Elves emacfallon at (hotmail dot com)

Turn order is CSH, Draco, Enginerd, Sprout

Standard house rules plus the rules as posted in the map description by the map author (see below, my comments in parenthesis). Oh... allied victory is enables and starting alliances set in the game.

Memo From Daniel Thump to all Candidates:

I have gathered together four of the best and the brightest. You will compete here in the new island paradise of Half Moon Falls. For a change of pace I have divided the candidates into two separate camps. Those with college degrees (The Evil Ones of Course) and those without (The Good Races). But you will not compete as teams. I will make this crystal clear; you may form alliances during the contest and even work together for common goals. But there will only be one Apprentice.

The goals of the contest are relatively straight forward:

1) Each starting position is a system of islands with various resourses and settlements already estabished. Locate those locals whom would trust you and estabish positive relations. Remove those who resist.

2) Four Priests inhabit each corner of the land. Two Priests of Fire and two Priests of Ice. Find the Priest nearest to you, It is doubtful that you can recruit him but each Priest will carry items of use.

3) Locate and develop the rapid transit system to develop your estates as quickly as possible.

4) Be the best. Become My Apprentice!!

Memo From The Development Committee of Half Moon Falls

To all would be Apprentices:

Severe restrictions have been placed upon the community of Half Moon Falls and it is imperative that all ordinances and bylaws be observed or your application shall be revoked.

1) Constuction of Unnatural Flying Vessels is prohibited, Only those flying vessels approved by bylaw (Air Galleys and Air Balloons) are approved for commercial use. (no wind walking ships)

2) High level managers are strictly forbidden. The community prides itself on its humble relations with its citizens and expressly forbids promotion of management personell beyond the tenth level. (I guess heros limited to lvl 10)

3) No Forbidden Magics allowed. Although it has come to the attention of the residents that Magics are used by management personell. Overt use of Forbidden Magic (Read the House rules) terrifies the inhabitants and lessons qualty of life for all.

4) Destruction of any portion of the rapid transit system is punishable by disqualification. The residents od Half Moon Falls pride themselves in their state-of-the-art rapid transit system and it is constructed for the enjoyment of all. (no razing teleporters)

5) Mobile land transport vehicles are prohibited. Travel by horse or by foot but do not spoil the natural beauty of the area with land crawling transport ships. (no fmds)

6) Although the training of semi sentient creatures is allowed, abusing such creatures is punishable by law. Incarnates must not be forced to possess more than one unit per turn. These creatures deserve our respect and must not be subject to such abuse. (no dominte or possess abuse)

7) Management Leaders are not allowed to interact with their subordinate. Strict Union Rules shall be obseved and Leader Managers must remain off the work floor. (Leaders OFF)

Thank You!!

[This message has been edited by Enginerd (edited 05-13-2008 @ 11:31 PM).]

Replies:
posted 02-29-08 00:45 AM EDT (US)     1 / 102  
CSH, why doesn't Naismith like to play against humans? Once this game gets a few turns in and I get back in the groove I'd be happy to start up a second game with you and another group.

So, how do you y'all customize the games these days? Do we still pick our magic spheres and races, or do we go default for the map?
posted 02-29-08 06:53 AM EDT (US)     2 / 102  
Whew! I've just finished reading those delightful page of posts and links to ages long ago Angel Draco, the Story of how the Revolution of Turn Logs Started By Frogman is a delightful tale I have only the pleasure of reading the first few lines of. I hope to devote time soon to fully engage and read this extraordinary tale.

The "Lord of the Rings: Reign of Terror" is a wondrous map you have resurfaced to this thriving community, and simply from the amazing comments I can already tell this map is a stellar wonder I have taken the liberty to download, and I hope to learn much more about, and one day engage in through a multiplayer Co-op someday soon.

Draco, your Draco, Heir to Orc Dragga is a wondrous goody and inspiring work of writing and imagination that has given me the spark of renewal and life for the elements of fun and intrigue plus creativity that AoW1 offers. The stories, tales, characters, and mechanical elements I witness whenever I play a game in this legendary proportions will never be the same again. No longer will I view the slaughter of a simple settlement the same again. I will see it as an attack on poor villagers of a forgotten people. Isolated from their ancestors of long past, and sent no aid except for the men of the village, whom bravely took up arms in the form of farm tools and crude weapons or rusted swords that shatter upon forceful blow.

That realm and dimension you have opened up by your simple resurfacing and limited posts has already been a grand addition to this community. We have many delightful personalities here, and I am glad and hope to say you will be here for another era of gaming to come. The world has changed since you've been away, the art of customization before a engagement of grand proportions has been lost to us since the days of newer strategy games and years of AoW1 activity glowering to a shimmer.

I am sure though, that this form of preparation for battle will be accepted by many, no doubt there are many veterans in this community from the days you came from whom remember how it was, and I'm sure many would be willing to bring back a myth from the past, and re-integrate it as a traditional method for PBEM games.

However, CSH is correct, that I do not enjoy playing games against humans. This has been my creed, and sole law that I abide by. Although of late, I have been persuaded strongly by the intelligent Deroman into playing a PBEM where he is on a 1 vs 5 team against four others including myself in the Legendary Tale of Rocky Hollow.

I'm still going to stand as true as I can to my beliefs though. I simply cannot find the stomach or enthusiasm to have fun or portray my writing abilities and imagination when I mentally know my opponent is a human and trying to outwit me via the game mechanics and trickeries the game can offer.

I simply find more peace and enjoyment thinking of grand stories to tell, and characters to pursue and write on when I'm fighting with human comrades against a powerful AI opponent in a world full of story, depth, and interaction.

That there, is where I thrive and have built my home and liking around. This I thus refer to in the universal game tongue, as Co-op. A form of gameplay where humans are deliberately placed on one team to work together to topple the might of a powerful AI opponent or even series of allied computers bent on the human player's destruction and demise.

I simply cannot find the strength nor aura to do the same in a PBEM game where I am going against anyone human. I dislike fighting or going against human opponents, I feel insecure and uncomfortable in such an environment.

As such, I proudly name CrazySlyHawk to work alongside the formiddable Balak of Thorn.

I wish you all the best, and I look forward to the stories, logs, and journals that are waiting to be told and shared!

Lord Naismith

Fixed your link to Rocky Hollow - Draco

[This message has been edited by Angel Draco (edited 02-29-2008 @ 10:55 AM).]

posted 02-29-08 09:28 AM EDT (US)     3 / 102  
So it will be:

Enginerd
Angel Draco

VS

BalakofThorn
CrazySlyHawk

I think its time to discuss map. Well, if we all like to play as the favourite race i know CSH wants Orcs and I want any race but Azracs. Mostly Frostlings and Dwarves.

I dont know wich Enginerds or Dracos favourite races are but I know I want the map balanced.

Then also i like to play leaders off and customize my own hero and leader.

What do you think?

No need for unnecessary citerias.-Balak 20/03.08

Well.. that was a unnecessary citeria
posted 02-29-08 12:25 PM EDT (US)     4 / 102  
I like the Undead, Frostlings, Orcs and Dark Elves (in that order).
Then also i like to play leaders off and customize my own hero and leader.
Works for me! I don't care what map we play.

Sorry to see you go Lord Naismith! If you'd like some more "old school" maps, just go to the downloads section and line up the downloads by "Number of Downloads." Most of the maps with the most DL's are "Generation 1."

Be sure to check out:

The Forgotten Evil

Coming of the Dread Lord

Banned

A Journey Into the Dark

Lord of the Rings: Reign of Terror

Hunters of Blood

Hunters of Blood II

Anything by Jason, The Jerk, Dix and Bluecollarheaven were great. Most of their multiplayer maps played well as single-player or Co-op against the computer.

Lord Naismith, I'd be happy to play a vintage or modern map with you co-op against the AI. I probably wouldn't be able to post as verbose, rpg-esq turn logs as these days I'm usually lucky to get in a little gaming between feeding one of my crying twins, but at least I could promise regular turns and still spruce up my turns logs a bit.

You may know this, but you can access very old threads in a particular forum by leaving the "Go Back [# of] Days" box blank. So instead of going back "100 days." Just leave it blank and hit the "Go Back" link and you should be able to access the very first posts! There are a lot of great, epic turn logs for some excellent "vintage" maps.

[This message has been edited by Angel Draco (edited 02-29-2008 @ 12:31 PM).]

posted 02-29-08 01:11 PM EDT (US)     5 / 102  
Nuclear Fallout log = epic.

I would like to try Hunters of Blood I or II, just to check 'em out. Otherwise, I have no favourites. A mid-length game so we can all enjoy a taste of AoW vintage while not getting bogged down regards to time.

Lord Naismith, I ought to try my hand at big turn logs! I was going to keep expanding the Rocky Hollow logs to represent my characters growing power, but my future in that game is in doubt.

Thank you Enginerd for taking an interest in what looks to be a cracking game while welcome Angel Draco, back to AoW! Balak, let's game

Token Irish Gamer!
posted 02-29-08 01:17 PM EDT (US)     6 / 102  
Well, hopefully you stay alive in rocky hollow. Ive sent you an plan for us to survive. Anyway it has been a great time playing with you by my side and hopefully we can take down an formular wl champion and one angel this time

posted 02-29-08 03:47 PM EDT (US)     7 / 102  
The topic of this thread is reserved for the Nostalgic visit regarding the joyful welcoming back of Angel Draco. So with further adieu, and the hopes I will continue to see you all in the community, (And future Co-op games) I'll wish you the best of luck, and may the combined might of loyal AowH1ger's match the power of a Age of Wonders Champion of long past and age old name from veterans of eons would remember.

Best of luck! I shall disperse without further notice!
posted 02-29-08 05:35 PM EDT (US)     8 / 102  
Since Draco is the new player I'll let him weigh in heavily on the map. I've sent him some newer map recommendations by email, he probably hasn't seen any of them as they are new (well 1-3 yrs old at least). We'll see what he likes. Once we have the map we can figure out races. I'm open to just about any race (and a good balanced map too).

Anyways... we'll play a 2v2 team game with allied victory ON, Exploration OFF. Leaders OFF and no customizing heroes (most maps that we'll be looking at have already taken into account sphere choices and hero abilities, customizing can often upset that balance). You'll just have to make an uber hero with what you start with . No FMDS, play by the house rules, have fun.

I'll look over a few more maps tonight as I see you've all weighed in on a race you prefer. I'll see what I can come up with....
posted 02-29-08 07:13 PM EDT (US)     9 / 102  
posted 02-29-08 07:24 PM EDT (US)     10 / 102  
Well, well. I have a current map wich soon is ready to rumble but i think it will take a few more days to finnish. It is a map mostly played in caverns/depths but a small part of the surface is available.

Races on map are Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Highmen, Dark Elves, Orcs, Goblins and Undead. All playable.

I can give you the map as it is now if you like to. I playtested it a few times and i think its really fun to play and it maybe an option for this game.

posted 02-29-08 08:15 PM EDT (US)     11 / 102  
FMDS is when you cast Free Movement on a Dragon Ship, this allows it to run around on land, it is a poor man's air galley and quite effective. Same thing for Wind Walking. These spells make units like dragon ships a bit too powerful. It's one of the optional house rules.

Don't worry... it will all come back to you.
posted 03-01-08 03:46 PM EDT (US)     12 / 102  
After all these years playing AoW Ive never even thought of casting wind walking on a dragon ship. How could I miss such a great move? Well, Im done with The darkest of Hours now, only a few more heroes/items shall be added, expecting it will take half an hour.

But Ive still havent heard of your suggestions of map? What are they?

[This message has been edited by BalakofThorn (edited 03-01-2008 @ 03:46 PM).]

posted 03-02-08 02:45 PM EDT (US)     13 / 102  
I sent Draco some newer maps (well... newer for him) to check out. Several by Arctic Wolf, 2v2 games, nothing really Epic in size. I seem to think I mentioned Apprentice 2 or 3, Charlatan with neutrals (instead of good), Marshland wars, Death's doorstep, Riverland Wars...

Anywas... I'm waiting to hear back from Draco. Should hear something soon.
posted 03-04-08 01:18 AM EDT (US)     14 / 102  
FMDS! Duh! I can't believe I forgot that acronym, especially since that juicy strategy was discovered quite some time ago and can be found in an article I wrote several years back called "little known gameplay tips and tricks" (although I didnt' discover the strategy, that was an old forumer named Aqualung.

Sorry about the delay of picking a map everyone. Enginerd sent me some maps, but my baby girl did not come home from the hospital this past weekend like we thought, because she developed some sort of blood infection. She's still in the hospital and I visit nightly, so I hadn't had a chance to check out the maps.

I really appreciate the time Enginerd took to collect some maps for me, but it just didn't work out this time; I've asked him to just pick one for us. If the game goes fast, maybe we can play a second one, or the map that Balak of Thorn just finished.

[This message has been edited by Angel Draco (edited 03-04-2008 @ 01:26 AM).]

posted 03-04-08 01:28 PM EDT (US)     15 / 102  
Not at all; no need to explain yourself, we all wish the very best of health to you and your family.

As for the maps, I look forward to trying out a PBEM w/ Balak's maps (v. promising stuff!) in the near future. As for our own game here, there is no need for urgency

Token Irish Gamer!

[This message has been edited by CrazySlyHawk (edited 03-04-2008 @ 01:31 PM).]

posted 03-04-08 04:58 PM EDT (US)     16 / 102  
Yeahh, better to see what kind of game everyone is looking for before trowing in a map. I will soon have a 2v2 map ready too if theres no rush. Expecting it will be done at the end of this week.

posted 03-05-08 02:36 PM EDT (US)     17 / 102  
The map is done but a story is still missing. Ive not heared so much from you guys, what map do you like to play?

No need to rush but there is no need to be slow as snails either.

posted 03-05-08 05:25 PM EDT (US)     18 / 102  

Balak, I played Crimson Horizon. Please check your email for the review.

Token Irish Gamer!
posted 03-06-08 11:51 AM EDT (US)     19 / 102  
Thanks for the review. Ive sent a mail back to yaa. Will make a few changes before its done.

posted 03-06-08 09:02 PM EDT (US)     20 / 102  
Sorry for the delay but I've been pouring over maps that might fit the bill to give Draco a warm welcome on a well balanced map this will be new for him. I sent him some samples and got some feedback and with your posts above about races here is what I propose...

The Apprentice III (his deluxe version) by Arctic Wolf

4 races

Dark Elves for Draco
Dwarves for Balak
CSH (can take the goblins or the elves as I couldn't find his preferences on race and I'll play either one). It makes sense to play evil vs good but we can mix it up if you want.

I've got a backup map if you want but I've always wanted to play a fun FFA or 2v2 on this map as I helped playtest it ages ago. If you want to play Balak's new map once it is ready I'm sure we can find a way to try that one out too.

Let me know if you need a copy of the map. I already sent Draco one.
posted 03-07-08 08:32 AM EDT (US)     21 / 102  
May I have a copy of the map?

I would like to be the Elves, simply to be on Balak's side.

Thanks for the map! I'm a fan of all the other Apprentice maps too, this is no exception

Token Irish Gamer!
posted 03-07-08 09:45 AM EDT (US)     22 / 102  
Ok. Apprentice III then. When do the game start?

Dont forget to change the diplomatic settings so theyre already set when we begin.

posted 03-07-08 05:25 PM EDT (US)     23 / 102  
I'll send you the map and get things going today or tomorrow. Feel free to take a little bit of time to review the map before your first turn.
posted 03-07-08 06:09 PM EDT (US)     24 / 102  
Will do. Downloaded it a couple of hours ago.

posted 03-08-08 10:02 AM EDT (US)     25 / 102  
Draco's playing again? That's wonderful
It was Draco & Jayhawk who persuaded me to buy the game & taught me how to play.

'Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened' Moving Pictures
posted 03-09-08 11:10 PM EDT (US)     26 / 102  
Didn't get the turns out today, sorry. I got busy with another project but the header has been updated and the turns will go out tomorrow evening.

(plus I needed a couple days to playtest my starting position).

Changed the header title and also added lots of info in the header.
posted 03-09-08 11:16 PM EDT (US)     27 / 102  
Hi, Gil, how ya been?

Very sorry for the delay everyone! I know we're getting off to a bit of a rocky start here, but I've had possibly the most stressful five days of my life. Just a quick post here before I head to off to bed; I have a long night ahead of me.

Long story short: my baby girl, Evie (5 months yesterday!) came home from the hospital last Wednesday following her heart surgery, but she has a blood infection and we have to give her these intravenous meds that take about 30 minutes to slowly deliver via this machine. They make her naucious, so she won't take a bottle, so all meals are done through a feeding tube, which takes about 30 minutes for each 3 ounce meal, then she often spits up most of it anyway. On top of that, my wife wrenched her back and is slightly incapacitated at quite possibly the worst time ever in our whole lives, so I've been doing mostly a one-man show with nightly feedings of the twins (Evie and her brother Gavin) and the care during the day. You can see most of this fiasco photographs on my twins blog.

Anyway, my mother-in-law will be over tomorrow (Monday) and I can't believe I'm saying this but I'll be very glad to see her! She can help out and I can get my turn underway!
posted 03-09-08 11:32 PM EDT (US)     28 / 102  
Good gosh! Apologies for the interference, but I want to convey my best hopes to your tight-knit family there Angel Draco. You'll make it.
posted 03-10-08 11:12 AM EDT (US)     29 / 102  
Isnt it better to make a new thread for turn logs?

And Enginerd, I think rule 7 means Leaders off map.

Good Luck everyone!!

posted 03-10-08 03:14 PM EDT (US)     30 / 102  
Those little tykes have our fondest wishes! All the best!

Regarding the game; soon is good. As well as that, Engine, my username is all one word, thank you

Balak, let's get ready to game. Gods, I hate the Elves... But I have played the Apprentice map for a few turns and I know how to work 'em, everything will be grand in the end

Token Irish Gamer!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs) » Nostalgic visit - Apprentice III (Draco and Enginerd vs Sprout and CSH)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames