You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Timelord

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.40 replies
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » Dwiggs Mapmaking Competition, Summer 2007
Bottom
Topic Subject:Dwiggs Mapmaking Competition, Summer 2007
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
RogerRabid
(id: Roger the Rampant)
posted 07-09-07 05:28 PM EDT (US)         
Dwiggs Mapmaking Competition

Dwiggs 1.4 Patch is an absolutely superb mod, custom maps are a lot of fun anyway, and we'd really like to see more Dwiggs custom maps being submitted for download at AoW2Heaven. SP maps can provide endless hours of fun, and MP scenarios are useful for online and PBEM (Play By EMail) games. So - to encourage more Dwiggs map submissions - we're running a Dwiggs mapmaking competition. There will be two categories:

1. Single-Player Maps

2. Multi-Player Maps

The Rules

They have to be new maps, so if it's currently available in our downloads section, you can't submit it (although you could possibly take one of your existing maps and heavily modify it). Submit them to the downloads section in the usual way, here, then drop us a note in this thread to let us know the name of the map that you've submitted, and which category (or categories) you want it entered into

They must all be playable under Dwiggs 1.4 Patch ruleset

You can enter as many maps as you want, and as many categories as you want

The closing date for submissions is Friday 31st August 2007 (23:59 US Eastern time)

Any forum member can submit a map, but it must be a map they have created themselves, although other people can be involved (for example, someone else may write the story for your map)

The Judges

Mapmakers will initially be judged by their peers. Once a submitted map has appeared in the download section, we will invite forum members to download it and play it. They will then submit a rating for each map that they play, in this thread: The Day of Judgment. To keep this as painless as possible, we are keeping it quite simple. We want you to state the name of the map, and give it a rating out of ten. You can then (optionally) comment on what you like and/or don't like about the map in question

If you are feeling really conscientious, you can also go to the downloads section and fill in a review of the map there

Any forum member can vote, but you are not allowed to vote for one of your own maps, or a map that you helped to create

Phase One: Making maps and submitting them!
Timespan: until 31st August

Phase Two: Maps are rated by forum members
Timespan: until 7th September

Phase Three: The top three maps in each category will be rated by our official tournament judges, in order to decide an overall winner in each category. The judges are Swolte, The Stranger and Timelord, so we are very lucky to have judges that know the game, the Dwiggs mod and mapmaking inside out!
Timespan: by the 30th September, or hopefully earlier

We haven't managed to organise any prizes yet, but it's a great feeling to win a community event like this! Even if you don't win, you can be sure that all good maps submitted will be used by our forum members for countless online battles, E-Mail games and single-player challenges over the coming years. So why not contribute to the online community - you never know, you might actually win!

If you need some cool tips for creating good maps, you can go to our Scenario Designers Hall

So off you go - start creating all those lovely maps!

2007 Dwiggs Mapmaking Competition - List of Entered Maps

Give your opinion of the maps here - The Day of Judgment

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider

[This message has been edited by RogerRabid (edited 07-10-2007 @ 06:34 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
malachaii
posted 08-01-07 06:49 AM EDT (US)     26 / 40       
awesome im looking forward to it
DarkMystery
posted 08-01-07 07:14 AM EDT (US)     27 / 40       
I have to say it works with mozilla, just logged in with it. Can't be that.

Honored Core Balance Team Member of UPatch 1.4
Also known as TirAsleen
Dwiggsvillain
RogerRabid
posted 08-01-07 03:47 PM EDT (US)     28 / 40       
It doesn't work with Firefox unless you have a certain plug-in, I use Firefox usually but for GameSpy I use Internet Explorer with ActivX

Anyway, to return to what this thread is SUPPOSED to be discussing - the first map is in!

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
malachaii
posted 08-01-07 07:58 PM EDT (US)     29 / 40       
i am so freaking excited to play all these maps!!!!!
and i would like to thank everyone who makes maps you guys really keep this game exciting.
The_Stranger
posted 08-11-07 11:57 AM EDT (US)     30 / 40       
Sorry for the delay on my map. It will be ready before the deadline
RogerRabid
posted 08-25-07 06:14 AM EDT (US)     31 / 40       
That's fantastic, and hopefully psykitty has had enough feedback to enter before the deadline, too

The_Stranger
posted 08-27-07 08:21 PM EDT (US)     32 / 40       
Hmmm...well, er....I just got back from a 6 day backpacking trip, and so will do what I can!

bj
RogerRabid
posted 08-30-07 03:22 AM EDT (US)     33 / 40       
Just a quick reminder to all the mapmakers that are intending to submit maps for this competition, that tomorrow is the last day for doing so, so even if it's not perfect I suggest that you submit it anyway, you never know what might happen!

psykitty
posted 08-30-07 04:56 PM EDT (US)     34 / 40       
I'm afraid I won't be ready. There's no way I can finish it in a day(and this is entirely my fault. I either need a better work ethic, or better time-managing abitlities.)

I still had a lot of fun, and I'd never used Dwiggs much before this. Definitely looking forward to what everyone else has done.
The_Stranger
posted 08-31-07 01:00 AM EDT (US)     35 / 40       
I won't get mine in either, I'm afraid. I've been working too much on the new mod and lost track of my map...I'll get it up eventually, though.

Good luck to those who submitted
morgul666
posted 08-31-07 01:20 PM EDT (US)     36 / 40       
Im slowly recovering from the shock of not having known about this mod until some days ago...My head still hurts from repeatedly bashing the wall...
Too bad, I didnt know of this competition either!
This mod would be the PERFECT basis for the scenario-plan I have in my wicked and insane mind, hehe.. (I need to convince a certain person, with whom I want to do the map together, to use the Dwiggs mod - hes not a big mod-fan
So with or without competition - Im looking forward to upload a Dwiggs map in the future!
But until then Im even more curious to play the maps of this competion!!!

Sorry for the useless post - just wanted to share my enthusiasm of playing the to-be-submitted maps!!
RogerRabid
posted 08-31-07 01:56 PM EDT (US)     37 / 40       
Well I need to discuss it with swolte, but it's not really a competition if we only have two maps entered by the closing date, in which case it would probably be better to hold the mapmaking competition when the new version of Dwiggs finally surfaces...

So that would give people more time for finishing existing projects, starting new ones, and also for building in the complexity that single-player maps seem to require these days

Good luck with trying to convince The Groll, but personally I don't think you stand a snowball's chance in hell

morgul666
posted 09-02-07 03:49 AM EDT (US)     38 / 40       
guess, youre right man damn.
Lal
posted 09-02-07 05:07 AM EDT (US)     39 / 40       
Hi all,

I've a map for the Dwiggs mod contest BUT the map is in french (translation of the map is near 50 % into english by Naeco but he's in holidays yet...)
The map is REALLY difficult and you NEED to understand the events to hope survive...

I don't know if you can wait 1 month (or two ? )

Greetings

LaL

Maps for uPatch 1.4 - 1. Avatar of Lolth 2. Legacy of Lolth
The_Stranger
posted 09-02-07 01:38 PM EDT (US)     40 / 40       
The new resource set should resurface within the month...and my map too!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames