AoW2/SM Mod Making
Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Unusued Vertigo, Cursed, >Poisoned SFX recall
posted 06-22-20 05:51 PM EDT (US)   
Hi All,

I also recently came across this issue and seems there are no way to implement them in game, could someone offer a solution here?!

Also I noted that in the FX/Abilities folder there are flame throwing effect for all Magic Spheres, so the Already existing Death Breath uses Black and standard flames, Fire Breath uses just standard one, Divine Breath uses Golden and standard flames, Cold Breath uses Frosty Air flames and Pixie Dust uses the multi-blinding coloured Cosmo flames, but there are also other UNUSUED Flames types, like Water that uses azure-blueish flames, Earth that uses green poisoning flames, like the one that should be used for the Unusued ablity Gas Breath and another type called Sworld that seems grayish flames.

But unfortunately all this material standardly included in the game installation can't be used in game, I also tried to rename the file extension from .FX to .TXT and just overwright the string for the graphic, save it and revert the file back to .FX but unfortunately don't works...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And after tons of searches I finally found a program able to open .FX files but the result is inconcludent:

As you can see it loads just the last string of the code and, once saved it just blank all the file, with the consequence of an invisible effect in game, so........ everything useless... D:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also I just noted in this moment that another ability or spell exist in a string of the mld file where all skills and spells names are listed, it is called BLACK CURSE, but despite some abilities are listed and available in the editor even if not active in game, like Gas Breath and Lightning Bolts, Black Curse instead is not listed in the editor so it can't be added to game nor finding any description related on what its effects are able to do...

Maybe it let me think something like an undead curse where, once your black cursed unit dies, it will transform into a ghost or undead units and turns agains you, maybe?!?!

SO THERE IS A WAY TO FINALLY IMPLEMENTS THESE FILES IN GAMES?!?!

Thanks in advance to everyones!

Greetings,

A the Cleric

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
MY GAME VERSION:

Age of Empires II The Conquerors 1.0 without any patches, just the ES release in August 24th 2000, proud to playing this game version!

[This message has been edited by AFFA the Cleric (edited 06-23-2020 @ 10:57 AM).]

Replies:
posted 07-04-20 05:25 PM EDT (US)     1 / 4  
I suppose you could use a hex editor, but the best it would allow is to replace "[1E]Images\Effects\Main\P_Fire.ILB" to "[1E]Images\Effects\P_Butterfly.ILB" (or a shorter pathname, though you'll need to fix the length of Pascal string) in Divine_Breath.fx and suchlike, or substitute WAV files the same way.
To do anything more you need a tool that can actually read and interpret FX file as a data structure it is, and edit it.
I used StructLook shareware (the last version 4.30 rev. F, made in 1999, and needs DOSBox) with my own data structure definition file. After PawelS figured out how to handle pickled Delphi objects (which is what AoW2 specific file formats are) at all.
It's a less than user-friendly method. At least it allows to insert more bytes where you need them and fix table offsets to match. And once you know what you are doing, it allows to add more entries at will (see the new waterfall and other FXs in UPatch), but the process is inconvenient at best, which is why there's not a dozen of new FXs in every single mod.
I managed to find a few more modern tools like this, but they were not up to the task of editing and re-reading nested variable-sized structures on the fly.

Other modders used the same even after my drift away from AoW modding, seeing how they asked me for that data. I'll find and upload it to some share, if it's not lost in a disk crash, that is. But it's messy.

And even I make no pretence Of having more than common sence - R.W.Wood
The secret half a country keeps, the whisper in the lane... - R.Kipling
[UPatch 1.4 Team] * STLpack

[This message has been edited by Turbo Beholder (edited 07-04-2020 @ 05:38 PM).]

posted 07-05-20 02:29 PM EDT (US)     2 / 4  
Please upload it! we are much interested in it. As for me I want to make green flames/glow for UPatch 1.5.1:

linke

Also if you still interested in AoW community, we would be glad to see you at discord communities.

discord 1
discord 2

we need green glow badly %)

[This message has been edited by Triadasoul_7 (edited 07-05-2020 @ 02:50 PM).]

posted 07-06-20 09:16 AM EDT (US)     3 / 4  
Please upload it! we are much interested in it.
I tried sync.com, but it doesn't work correctly for some reason. So, created a Mega account, the link to STL pack (just the last STL files) and a copy of shareware STL is in my signature now.
As for me I want to make green flames/glow for UPatch 1.5.1:
I'll look at it in the resource with tiles, since there's no way to fit and debug FX other than loading an actual map where it's linked to something.
Also, if it must fit the tile the way glowing windows do (rather than just sparkles), it needs a corresponding ILB picture with right properties, like O_Furnace #10 or O_RogueShack #6.
Also if you still interested in AoW community, we would be glad to see you at discord communities.
discord 1
discord 2
Both show "invite invalid".

And even I make no pretence Of having more than common sence - R.W.Wood
The secret half a country keeps, the whisper in the lane... - R.Kipling
[UPatch 1.4 Team] * STLpack
posted 07-06-20 11:55 AM EDT (US)     4 / 4  
They are valid for 24 hours :

discord 1
discord 1

Please write if they expire - I'll imidiately (I'm here approx once in a day) send another.

[This message has been edited by Triadasoul_7 (edited 07-06-2020 @ 11:58 AM).]

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Mod Making » Unusued Vertigo, Cursed, >Poisoned SFX recall
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames