Please login or register

AoW:SM Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Help to get quest spell rewards
posted 05-16-14 10:39 PM EDT (US)   
I'm hoping somebody out there with experience might be able to help me increase my spell knowledge. The TL;DR of my long story below: I need to get the Nature and War quest rewards quickly and efficiently. Are there any tricks to this, like reloading?

The game I'm playing is sort of a long-term solo 'sandbox'. Enemies are Lord difficulty, but I'm powerful enough to handle their multi-stack assaults. Just the way I like it.

I'm playing cosmos, and I've researched everything I could myself (no Cosmos Mastery; only Alter Node). I traded all the important spells I could get from allies. Now I'm facing the possibility that a couple of important spells might remain inaccessible to me:
- Waterwalk is pretty significant, so I can craft rings with Swimming (if waterwalk is dispelled on water, your hero drowns and dies). My Water ally seems to have gotten unlucky since she never researched this spell.
- Without a Life wizard ally to trade spells from, I lack a bunch of Life spells, chief among which are Rejuvenate (I'm gunning for this from the Nature shrine), Divine Storm (so I can craft Holy Strike weapons) and Holy Champion (also for item crafting purposes). Resurrect Hero and Life Domain would be nice to have, too.
- I'll never be on diplomatic terms with the Death wizard, so a couple of useful Death spells are absent: Damnation, Domain of Darkness, Animate Hero and Animate Ruins could be handy to have.
- Watcher and Spring Rains are is the only missing Air spells I'd really like to have.
- For Earth, I'm still looking for Level Terrain, Earth's Awareness and the amazing Poison Domain that an enemy Earth Wizard uses so effectively against me.
- For Fire, I heard that Wither is needed for crafting weapons with Energy Drain on them. Fire Domain would be neat as well.

Now I'm looking at my options for the remaining spells. There are a bunch of vaults only I can reach, but I'm keeping them for later. First, I want to get all the spells I can from shrines (to avoid getting vault rewards that could have been shrine rewards). Nature and War still have a few important ones to offer me.

So, I'd like to activate and complete shrine quests in a rapid pace. Is there any trick to activating the quests? Building shrines is good, but doesn't guarantee that a quest will trigger. I elcome any insights into this that would help me.
Replies:
posted 05-17-14 01:21 AM EDT (US)     1 / 10  
Hi and welcome,
My answer will not be in order of your questions but only serve to point out some of what I know of.
Now I'm looking at my options for the remaining spells. There are a bunch of vaults only I can reach, but I'm keeping them for later. First, I want to get all the spells I can from shrines (to avoid getting vault rewards that could have been shrine rewards). Nature and War still have a few important ones to offer me.
AFAIK, vault spells are preset from the moment you start the scenario. If you play a custom scenario, it is even more certain. In magic vault exploration, there's always a chance that you get a spell that you've already had.

Quest rewards are random based on difficulties. The higher the difficulty, the better the rewards (spells, units, gold/mana, hero level).
So, I'd like to activate and complete shrine quests in a rapid pace. Is there any trick to activating the quests? Building shrines is good, but doesn't guarantee that a quest will trigger.
Quests are only given when it is the first time you build a shrine provided that: #1 None of your settlements has a shrine of the opposed spirit (Order >< War; Nature >< Magic) and #2 Your recent and past acts were not against the spirit of the shrine you're building (Break peace/alliance, settlements do not go well with Spirit of Order; Destroying magical structures like Magic nodes, magic relay will make Spirit of Magic unhappy)

I understand that your ultimate goal is to learn all the spells in one scenario but that is near impossible to achieve. Playing Cosmos sphere only give you some (not all) low level spells of all magic elements and high level cosmos spells. Trading with allies will make you dependent on your AI allies behaviors. There are spells that AI will probably never research although you find it very useful.

In conclusion, the level of randomness in Aow:SM is quite high which make it very hard to predict the game's behaviors. There're some tricks (that I do not know of) that could sway the favors your way it's not always certain.

Tired of manually receiving/sending your PBEM turns everyday ? Try out Dave's PBEM Wrapper!
posted 05-17-14 04:51 AM EDT (US)     2 / 10  
i could never have imagined that a vault would give you a researched spell as reward. Disappointing to hear that it's already fixed, too. I was hoping I could alter my luck with reloads or something.

Oh well, I might as well see what those vaults have in store for me.

So, If I understand correctly, shrine quests are only given when you build your first shrine? I thought I received at least 2 War quests. That's disappointing: I have quite a few shrines built, and I'd have to demolish lots of them to recreate that situation.

I have a quest map trigger for a Nature quest that i was holding on to, in the hopes I could trigger 2 quests at the same time. I guess I'll go activate it and see if I can get Rejuvenate.

Thanks for your help!
posted 05-17-14 01:17 PM EDT (US)     3 / 10  
So, If I understand correctly, shrine quests are only given when you build your first shrine? I thought I received at least 2 War quests. That's disappointing: I have quite a few shrines built, and I'd have to demolish lots of them to recreate that situation.
You are given an initial quest when you first build a shrine. Additional quests may be given (at random intervals) as long as the shrine spirit is pleased with your actions. Building additional shrines of the same type should help keep the spirit happy.

Demolishing any shrine is sure to anger the spirit of that shrine. They may even punish you for doing that! (I am not sure if you get punished just for selling a shrine; but you likely will get punished for failing a redemption quest).
I have a quest map trigger for a Nature quest that i was holding on to, in the hopes I could trigger 2 quests at the same time. I guess I'll go activate it and see if I can get Rejuvenate.
You may want to take a look at the UPatch1.4 release notes...link. There you will see that rejuvenate is not ever offered as a reward by any shrine.

If you are trying to get rid of wasteland around your cities so that you can grow crops then there are three ways that I know of to accomplish that...

(1) cast rejuvenate

(2) cast divine storm

(3) use the path of life ability

Also, if you are using classical turns then you will discover that occasionally even though you complete a shrine quest (such as build a temple, wiz tower, ect) that the reward might not be triggered at all. This is a bug with quest rewards. I am not sure if this quest rewards bug ever occurs in simultaneous turns mode.

Cheers and good luck!

[This message has been edited by flyguy (edited 05-17-2014 @ 01:25 PM).]

posted 05-18-14 02:49 PM EDT (US)     4 / 10  
After you finish a quest, do somewhere on the map a battle in the same turn (no need to win, send a unit or summon).After the battle you get your reward from the spirit.
posted 05-19-14 01:58 AM EDT (US)     5 / 10  
I guess I have 1.3 installed, because after abundant reloads, Rejuvenate appeared as reward! I also got Animate Hero from the spirit of War, Chaos lord spell from Magic, and Sacred Wrath from Order. Love those map triggers!
I managed to get Spring Rains from trading spells, too. So, it seems my allies are not done researching, yet.
I'm holding out hopes for Wither, Poison Domain, Divine Storm, Holy Champion and Water walk.

Handy trick about the combat thing. Next quest I get, I'll be sure to keep the quest chain alive. It applies to all spirits, or just War?

[This message has been edited by coineineagh (edited 05-19-2014 @ 03:36 AM).]

posted 05-19-14 09:19 AM EDT (US)     6 / 10  
You can tell what version of AOWSM you are running by looking at the lower right corner of the main menu page. The version number will be listed there.

When you install the UPatch1.4, you must run the patch two times...the first time will only install the official patch1.3...the second run will install the UPatch1.4.

About the quest reward bug in classical mode...as Fanaprimo said, the failed quest reward can be triggered if you can do something to activate it on the same day as it was completed. I know that capturing some structure (like a watchtower) has worked for me; but I have not yet done it by fighting a battle like Fanaprimo described. I will have to try that sometime.

All spirits are subject to the 'failed reward trigger for a completed quest' bug...at least in classic turns mode.

Cheers!

[This message has been edited by flyguy (edited 05-19-2014 @ 09:23 AM).]

posted 05-19-14 10:22 PM EDT (US)     7 / 10  
Yeah, I have 1.3 installed. Using simultaneous turns, fortunately. This unofficial patch definitely looks worthwhile, though.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to upgrade to 1.4 and safely load the 1.3 game I've been playing?

[This message has been edited by coineineagh (edited 05-20-2014 @ 01:30 AM).]

posted 05-21-14 09:59 AM EDT (US)     8 / 10  
...Can anyone tell me if it's possible to upgrade to 1.4 and safely load the 1.3 game I've been playing?
I was hoping somebody else would answer this one...

Since I don't know the answer, then I can only suggest that you make a restore point and try it. If it fails, then you can just restore the computer to before status.

Good luck!
posted 05-21-14 08:31 PM EDT (US)     9 / 10  
Well I did it, and it seems to have worked safely enough. The only art changes I can see in my game are the priests, of course. Old priests still have their original characteristics. So I can confirm that the upgrade can be done while you're in the middle of playing a map. It will load safely. Exceptions are still possible, but I'm playing a huge map with pretty much everything present.

But my item forging has been completely redefined. I'm surprised at what I have available: Holy Strike without Divine Storm; Swimming without Waterwalk. A small disappointment is having Fire Breath disappear on me - I have no idea what I need to do to get hold of that now. I was making a Lord of the Rings-themed item, the Flame of Anor, with Fire Cannon, Fire Breath and Healing I. Fire Breath was mainly there for thematic flavour, though it would have been great to use since all my heroes also have fire immunity from Fire Halo.

[This message has been edited by coineineagh (edited 05-21-2014 @ 08:33 PM).]

posted 12-02-14 00:30 AM EDT (US)     10 / 10  
Thank you.

I agree yoy. So I will stay with official patch.

, thank you for help.

Download high quality 300-206 dumps dumps to prepare and pass Testking.net with oracle certification dumps loyola Also get free demos of www.clarku.edu

[This message has been edited by kathi (edited 12-18-2014 @ 06:54 AM).]

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW:SM Gameplay Help & Strategies » Help to get quest spell rewards
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames