AoW:SM Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AI and protecting towns
posted 11-19-13 10:05 AM EDT (US)   
Hi all,

I just started playing this game recently. I'm currently on the Mount Abydor phase of the Julia campaign. Eventually I took over one of those lookout towers that expands the map and found the city that held the main orc hero who was at war with me. I noticed that once I discovered the city he started building up his forces to protect it quite fast (building/summoning new units and moving units from other locations to the city). That all makes sense of course, my question is this:

What if I wouldn't have discovered his city so quick? Would he still just have been pumping out units? I'm just trying to get a sense of how the AI works in this game. For instance, would it have been better for me to have a couple strong parties to raid his city before I discovered it? Or does it not really matter?
Replies:
posted 11-20-13 03:49 AM EDT (US)     1 / 3  
Hello oasisbhrnw.

Nice to see new faces.

I will use "quotation marks" to explain and make you imagine how things work.

First at all: The AI in AoWSM is very silly.

It (AI) have some advantages in exchange. The AI always see the whole map, all your armies all the time, all the things that "are". It did not know "fog of war" like we human players.
So to answer a part of your question: No. It does not make a difference if you own his tower now or later. He have seen your "power" already before.
The only difference is that he (AI) have not seen a "danger" in your army before because you was more far away as now. If you move closer the AI "feels" the danger of your incoming power and then it starts to act against this power - but it has seen you already before.

To answer more of your question:
The AI only "cares" and "fears" of enemy army strength.
It knows the level of your units (1-4).
So it can calculate how strong your incoming army is and acts to improve the balance between you and itself.
So it will build as fast as possible and summon units too if possible.

The AI fears one level 4 unit much more than 4-6 level 1 units for example. This is maybe not total correct but it gives you a imagination how "AI fear" works.

The AI is a fearful one.
It does not dare much and will only attack if it have an overpower army.
This is in my opinion because it is so damned bad programmed when it comes to battle quality and fighting intelligence in the TC screen.
The AI is so bad intelligent in battle that the programmers must compensate this disadvantage with bigger armies.
Therefore it only attacks when it have a much better army.
But it did not cheat. It does not produce faster or builds up armies with cheating.

There are some bad tricks to maneuver out the AI but I think I should not tell you to much about this.
For me I made gentleman rules to play with the AI.
To play with the AI is as you play against a 5 years old kid and you are a 100 years old jedi master so gentleman rules make sense for me.

To make the gameplay more interesting for us jedi knights I made my later maps with (I call them) "AI pushup events".
With this events I help the AI in some ways to get stronger so we humans find a thrilling game even against the AI players.
If you like and if you understand how AI works you will maybe find it nice to make your own gentleman rules and play with an AI that is pushed - like in my later maps.

I hope I was able to help.
Feel free to ask more. It is so silent here...

AoWSM Maps: 1. Marlenes Welt 2. Marlenes Schatten 3. Marlenes Gnade
Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
11. AoW I Sound Set for AoWSM 12. Gentleman Rules Set
Need Help? The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe
Proud member of the Upatch 1.4, 1.5 & 1.6 Team
posted 11-20-13 07:47 AM EDT (US)     2 / 3  
Thanks for your reply Groll, it was very informative.

I do have on other question. Based on what you said, does this mean the concealment trait is pointless against the AI? For instance, let's say I want to get through an enemy territory with a scout that I think I can keep concealed the whole time. Are the AI just gonna ignore the concealment trait and attack anyway?
posted 11-20-13 02:27 PM EDT (US)     3 / 3  
Yes it is useless against the AI.
Also all spells that give concealment. Against humans they work but the AI will see your concealed units.
It will also see all unity that have kinds of concealment without being enchanted by spells.
The AI will see your spy and it will kill it if you try to sneak by.
Maybe your spy will survive but then only because it is a level 1 unit and no thread for the AI.

AoWSM Maps: 1. Marlenes Welt 2. Marlenes Schatten 3. Marlenes Gnade
Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
11. AoW I Sound Set for AoWSM 12. Gentleman Rules Set
Need Help? The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe
Proud member of the Upatch 1.4, 1.5 & 1.6 Team
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW:SM Gameplay Help & Strategies » AI and protecting towns
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames