You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Scenario Design
Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Post your Scenario Previews here!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 08-05-03 03:20 PM EDT (US)   
If you are currently making a Scenerio for SM and would like to give viewers a peak at what you are planning just drop a few lines here.

Karred's Courage:

I am currently working on one which you take the role of a hero name Karred and raise him to wizard statest over the course of three campaigns as he defends his land and his people. There we be lots of events, and a few "mini games" and several side quests.

[This message has been edited by ShaFeer (edited 08-05-2003 @ 06:29 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-06-03 04:30 AM EDT (US)     1 / 157  
yay, i've got a ww2 scenario up and coming. it's built upon imoyaro's excellent world war 2 map from aow1, strategically, while the coastlines and proportions are from christian simon's worldmap for aow2.
the current lineup is the axis consisting of italy, germany and japan. the allies are england, russia, usa and then there's two wildcards thrown in; general peron of argentina and chiang ruling the chinese to give japan a harder time conquering asia. i'm having a hard time whipping the ai into doing fairly realistic things, last night, russia allied with germany and took over the world, commies and nazis working side by side. I've thrown in the leaders for wizards - hitler's a lot more scary than a little archon boi.
Some of the problems i'm facing is that the ai is trying to take over all independent cities before it attacks, perhaps because of emperor level. Furthermore a strange bug makes indies show up on top of their campsites, which start out explored. wicked.
but it's going to be a very worked through, unbalanced and massive scenario with a large weight on diplomacy. i'd love to play it by email.
posted 08-06-03 06:06 AM EDT (US)     2 / 157  
I've been working on my last scenario for a few months now. Its name will be "Wolkenfels". At the moment, it is completly in German, but if people like it, I'll make an english version, too.
The old kingdom of Wolkenfels was defeated by invading orcs and goblins. Now there are three alliances fighting or the throne. The evils are emperor Ermenrich of the orcs and matriarch Hildegund of the goblins. The neutrals are Queen Agathe of Dreispitzenstein, leader of the frostlings and the fire-wizard Kasimir. the good guys are halflings and elves led by Ottmar of Wiesengrund and Adelgunde of Konflenz.
The map won't be good for quick multiplayer-battles. instead it will be a good choice for PbeM-games. There is a hall of history where every player can readthe story and there are lots of scripted events, so that nobody can say, he had no idea for his turn-log. I hope many player will like the 2vs2vs2 concept.
posted 08-07-03 11:10 AM EDT (US)     3 / 157  
I'm working on a XL map (huge one)
Hunters of Blood III
The story continues about the brothers,Mordyn and Magsar.

"In the year 1645 the great war began between the Orcs and the Goblins. Seven years later two brothers were born, Mordyn and Magsar. The Orc King was the father, and one of them was going to be the next king of the Orcs. But in the year 1655 the Goblins raided the town Shalimar, and the Goblins abducted Magsar from the Orc tribe. The wars continued for about 15 years. Then the land of Thurlock was divided between them, and they could live in peace, but Magsar never returned to the Orc tribe."

Goblins and Orcs are not playable,other races on the map will be

Humans
Dwarfs
Nomads
Elves
Draconians
Shadow Demons

I have not decided if Elves or Halflings should be on the map,any suggestions?

There will be over 100 additional heroes and many new artifacts.

posted 08-07-03 11:24 AM EDT (US)     4 / 157  
Hi DIX,

I remember playing that map with my brother in the AoW1-days.. Impressive piece of work, looking forward to HOB_3!!

If you mean a choice between Elves and Hobbits (I personally wouldn't choose on a XL map, use both! ), I'd pick elves (Maybe Magsar escaped to elven lands, and is held prisoner? The rumor becomes known through adventure..).

I have no plans for maps but will adapt my existing ones first (Waikiti Island*, Fight for Light, Goldrush Mountains, River Arne -> in that order..).

* Almost done.

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 08-07-03 11:50 AM EDT (US)     5 / 157  
I have a large MP map called "Dust to Dust", which I have been saving away for SM. I'll try to finish that one in the next few months, as soon as I get the game and see what new possibilities it brings, and also what changes it might make to terrain.

I have also been thinking up the second installment of the Elf vs. Elf series for 1 vs 1 play. It will be called: Elf vs. Elf - Behind Enemy Lines, and it will follow the same principle as the original game - lots of name-calling and trigger-based enemy bashing!

Depending upon how much the scenery changes on my previous maps, I may put some new paint on them.

BTW, a premature question aimed at the more proficient mapmakers: Do you envision the shadowland playing a prominent role in your maps, or is it more of a novelty for the campaign? (just something I've been wondering based upon the screenshots I've seen and comments I've read)

Author of the following maps for AOWSM:

Version 1.4 - Race To Death: Rise Of Evil
Version 1.3 (also playable in 1.4) - Race to Death S&M - Walker's Crusade ====== This Land Is My Land ====== War In The Valley

Proud member of the Upatch Team

posted 08-07-03 12:10 PM EDT (US)     6 / 157  

Quoted from King david:

Do you envision the shadowland playing a prominent role in your maps, or is it more of a novelty for the campaign

A difficult question, it would have huge potential if it wasnt for the existence of Shadow Shift (an ability/spell that can move units to the Shadow Land regardless of where they are. This would have a capability to ruin any events and triggers based around the map as basically, a player could move back and forwards between the Shadow World at will, appearing all over the place. So at the moment, I am a little cautious of using Shadow Land.

Experience the ultimate single player map for Shadow Magic here

Battles of Creation : The Blackened Mire

Get the legendary Battle Of Creation that began it all here...

posted 08-07-03 12:18 PM EDT (US)     7 / 157  
Hi Swolte

Elves was my first pick,so it will be the elves I think,going to build there homeland soon,so i must decide,if i could i've been picking both of them,in the old days we could have 12 races,now its only 8,so one of them have to go.

My nightmare for this map is the story and the storyline,in the old days Bluecollarheaven helped me with those things that I'm not so skilled in,but haven´t talked to her for a while.

PS:Blue,if you read this,send me a mail

DIX

posted 08-07-03 02:44 PM EDT (US)     8 / 157  
DIX it's great to hear you're making HOB3, I was a great fan of your AoW1 maps. I can help with the story from the point of view of spelling and grammar checking, but of course I am not in the same category as BCH when it comes to creating stories...

I understand the SARS epidemic has kept her very busy, let's hope she notices this thread.

If anybody wants me to check their maps/stories for spelling/grammar I'm happy to be of assistance. Don't be shy!

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 08-07-03 02:56 PM EDT (US)     9 / 157  
At the risk of being overwhelmed with email, I too will help with English/grammar as needed if asked.

As for BlueCollarHeaven, she has lost interest in AoW II, so unless she still plays AoW (1), you probably won't be hearing from her.

posted 08-08-03 02:25 AM EDT (US)     10 / 157  

It is going to take a while for me too get a story together,if I don't get in touch with Blue,and if she is not interested in SM,I will ask one of you to check grammar and spelling

Thanks for offering help guys.

Must have some breakfast and then back to the editor.

DIX

posted 08-08-03 07:49 AM EDT (US)     11 / 157  
I do not mean to intrude on this thread, so I apologize if it was meant for previews only. All of the scenarios previewed so far look interesting, and I would probably like to try them out, if they are multiplayer capable. I really prefer playing against human opponents, it really brings out the deeper strategy of the game, and the quality of story based maps is, to me at least, enhanced by the roleplaying interactions that occur in multiplayer games. I also do not think the AI is really capable of providing a true challenge, even given massive advantages.

So my question is, how many of these maps will be playable in multiplayer, and as well, will maps like the proposed World War II map or Hunters Of Blood III allow the villians present to be played by humans? Regardless, the previews look great, and I look forward to seeing the end results for all of the maps.

posted 08-09-03 05:33 PM EDT (US)     12 / 157  
yap, i make all my maps multiplayercapable, personally I find maps with a storyline to go, for multiplayer the most interesting one's. The plain "here is your castle sir, build and army and kill the others" theme is somewhat tried already.
To demonstrate an example, I've thrown in special quests to control the shape of war in my ww2map, the germans will begin with the quest to take paris, the jap with the quest to assault pearl harbor and the yanks get the option to pay a high price in order to insert special forces to aid china. Of course you can play all the guys in my ww2map. but as mentioned, it's not balanced wiz by wiz, it's the complete alliances that make up the balance.
posted 08-09-03 09:11 PM EDT (US)     13 / 157  
Have you modified the Italians so that they will surrender at a much higher rate than the other forces?

I like my trees and books, I like my women to cook.
posted 08-10-03 05:30 PM EDT (US)     14 / 157  
"The Search for Riabach"
A scenario for AOW:SM

In “The Search for Riabach” players assume the role of Renzo Rodenzo, a young war-wizard from the desert kingdom of Blazing Stone, who is on a perilous quest to find his father who has not returned from an adventure in an ulexplored wilderness! During your journey you will meet friends who will help, and enemies who will block your path as you come closer to solving the mystery of your father’s disappearance. Prepare for the adventure of your life!

We developed this scenario with a very RPG mindset, as we made the story the focus game advancement. Additionally, every hero and item you will encounter is unique to our scenario, complete with detailed descriptions. We are completing the finishing touches and hope to upload it within the next week or two. If anyone is interested in testing for us, please contact me at fangspeeps@aol.com.

posted 08-15-03 06:15 PM EDT (US)     15 / 157  
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Quoted from King david:

Do you envision the shadowland playing a prominent role in your maps, or is it more of a novelty for the campaign

Quoted from jamieJME

A difficult question, it would have huge potential if it wasnt for the existence of Shadow Shift (an ability/spell that can move units to the Shadow Land regardless of where they are. This would have a capability to ruin any events and triggers based around the map as basically, a player could move back and forwards between the Shadow World at will, appearing all over the place. So at the moment, I am a little cautious of using Shadow Land.

I would have to agree, it would be so really nice if they added an option to disable shadow shift and or diable shadow sickness and just make the shadow world an alternate plane with the same physics as earth. Maybe they will do that for us

posted 08-22-03 04:08 AM EDT (US)     16 / 157  
I'm working on a single player scenario called the quest (name subject to change) (elfs vs undead)

it's basically three newly created hero's that set out to defeat a vampire queen and her undead minions, it's a trigger driven map, filled with dangerous encounters, dungeon exploring etc.
the rewards for exploration are pretty decent, but I might improve the rewards somewhat later on

I've already finished a large part of the map (85%) and dungeons (75%) and it's looking really good, even if I say so myself ...

I testplayed it last night and it took me 156 turns to complete it, and that's fast I think because I knew where everything was and where to go etc.

still need to work more on the story and hero/wizard backgrounds

oh yeah, it's a rather difficult scenario, at some points you might even lose your entire hero stacks ... scary don't you think?

posted 08-23-03 00:58 AM EDT (US)     17 / 157  
An upcoming single player adventure with a rich in-game plotline...

Introducing Porky the Orc and his Adventures:

Porky was the Orc everyone made fun of growing up. He was a little chubbier than most, which earned him his nick name Porky. In fact, no one remembered his real name anymore, not even him...

Mom and Dad were typical Orc parents, cruel and demanding slave labour from the time he was old enough to lift up a club.

Porky was dumb (even by Orc standards), but that didn't stop him from having a strong sense of pride. After one particularly humiliating day coming home from school (math was a particularly important course for growing orcs - history is replete with orcs miscalculating enemy strength because they couldn't count their numbers properly!)Porky decided he had enough.

On that day, he was ambushed by a bunch of his classmates, pelting him with ripe red cherries. Sweet smelling and sticky, the juices from the impact oozed down his face. He would have preferred a raspberry.

"I'll show them!" Porky swore to himself and continued walking home, head bent in humiliation and smoke rising out from his ears.

That day...Porky realized the only way to get respect was to do something the other orcs talked about but never dared to do. He was going to find the Giant's cave and come back with a sac of gold over his back and the fabled Giant's Girdle in hand. He was going to show the village who Porky really was!

And he was going to start his journey tomorrow!

[This message has been edited by maximus9 (edited 08-23-2003 @ 01:04 AM).]

posted 09-23-03 08:23 AM EDT (US)     18 / 157  
NEWS ABOUT HUNTERS OF BLOOD III

Progressing with the map,some changes have been made to the races.

The races are:
Humans
Elves
Dwarfs
Nomads
Dark Elves (Roger likes them)
Draconians
Orcs
Goblins

All races except Goblins are playable.
Almost 450 new heroes have been added to the map.
Over 80 hero pictures have been added.(thanks aowmaps.com)
There are going to be many artifacts too,but they are not ready yet.
Map designed so you can go by boat to almost every corner on the map.
Map is divided into regions,so all places have names.

Thats all for now.....

DIX

posted 09-23-03 10:06 AM EDT (US)     19 / 157  
Recently uploaded a map I created called 'Survival'. I estimate it will be ready for download from this website very soon.

If you are looking for a challenging map where the odds are greatly against you and two allies as the AI opponents attack with huge forces... then this is the map. The map can be played as single player with 2 computer allies or as many as 3 human players allied together.

This XL map will take a very long time to finish... I estimate 200 days at the earliest. (without cheating such as reloading old save games) Human players should play as one of the good races otherwise the map will not be as challenging.

During my playtesting I have had as many as 12 bone dragons marching towards my towns... and seen lots of LvL_4 units sent by the computer AI as well. This map will allow multiple human players to have level_20 heroes and beyond... for the ones strong enough to survive .

There can be only one.
Highlander

[This message has been edited by NTJedi (edited 09-23-2003 @ 10:09 AM).]

posted 09-23-03 01:11 PM EDT (US)     20 / 157  
but it has a password NTJedi.

*sniff* WHY?

posted 09-23-03 03:22 PM EDT (US)     21 / 157  
jamieJME...

The password is only on the map for the first 30 days.... then the password will be released on the forums. I felt more multiplayer gamers would feel it to be more fair knowing that it is unlikely for another gamer to have memorized the location of all the cities, items and other key locations ahead of time without them spending serious time. The map wouldn't be much fun if one player studied the map ahead of time to become stronger then the others.

As it is right now no one can start with an unfair advantage by memorizing the design and events in the map. 3 human players will be facing powerful AI opponents and if they survive long enough they will have powerful heroes in a very long game.

I will release the password on the forum within 30 days.... and after 45 days I will upload an updated version for any bugs found plus remove the password.

There can be only one.
Highlander
posted 09-23-03 05:27 PM EDT (US)     22 / 157  
Well, if anyone is going to cheat in a MP map like that then they still could by opening it up in the game and cheating to see it all. However, I suppose I will have to wait then

posted 09-23-03 05:33 PM EDT (US)     23 / 157  
Yes, if someone wants to cheat, I say let them reap the loss. I expect anyone who has to cheat can't really enjoy playing the game. To me, the adventure of just playing the game and seeing how it turns out is much more fun than winning. Add to that the turn logs (if you have a group of creative players) and it can be down right entertaining!
posted 09-23-03 05:59 PM EDT (US)     24 / 157  

Quote:

jamieJME
Well, if anyone is going to cheat in a MP map like that then they still could by opening it up in the game and cheating to see it all.

Yes... but that does not reveal the events or 'details' about the map. Revealing the map will show the locations but not the details or the contents of items or places.

Quote:

jamieJME
However, I suppose I will have to wait then

Why would you need to open the map in the editor before playing the map?? Sounds funny or kinda suspicious.

-------
TalonThorn...
The map is password protected for only 30 days... thus protecting events and altered copies for LAN games. I've tried to create a map which can be enjoyed by singleplayers and multiplayers joining together to defeat powerful AI opponents. Within 45 days an updated version will be available fixing any bugs found and password will be removed.

Those looking for a good challenge and raising some high level heroes should definitely try 'Survival'.

There can be only one.
Highlander

[This message has been edited by NTJedi (edited 09-23-2003 @ 06:03 PM).]

posted 09-24-03 12:34 PM EDT (US)     25 / 157  

Quote:

Why would you need to open the map in the editor before playing the map?? Sounds funny or kinda suspicious.

Lol, its just that I don't have much spare time and so I only like to play maps that will be worthwhile and it is easy to see from a map whether it will be good to play.

Anyway, don't worry about it...

posted 09-24-03 06:51 PM EDT (US)     26 / 157  

Quote:

jamieJME
...and it is easy to see from a map whether it will be good to play.

As you mentioned earlier anyone can start the game with the entire map revealed. So starting the game on day_1 with everything revealed you would be able to make a decision. Again no reason the map needs to be opened in the editor.

Wait if you wish... but I guarantee this map is more difficult then any of the campaigns. The map has about a dozen events and I doubt anyone could win under 200 days without cheating. -cheat codes, reloading autosaves, etc.-

http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/viewinfo.php?id=321

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

There can be only one.
Highlander

[This message has been edited by NTJedi (edited 09-24-2003 @ 06:53 PM).]

posted 09-24-03 09:42 PM EDT (US)     27 / 157  
I have a map for aow1 released called 'the war of the 12 mages' (on which 7 or more games with 12 PLAYERS actually were completed!).

with all of the great turn posting (especially in the early games), I have been inspired to do a series of maps for aow2 or SM.

2 maps for the prequals to the aow1 map, possibly a remake of the aow1 map, and then 2 or 3 maps, each starting from different possible outcomes from the aow1 map.

each map will have a different play style, and the stories involved, as well as the treatment of map features, will go far into explaining the original map, and the history of the land.

also, since the concepts were centered on AoW2, I've done a lot of work to help explain why some things existed then, but not now (lizards, azracs, alters, etc...), and why some things from the aow1 map came into being to begin with...
(such as how the highmen got their name, the origin of goblins, halflings, frostlings and dwarves, as well as the absence of gnomes....etc...)

of course, there is MUCH work to be done on the maps still, and I'm writing a very long story to accompany them, so dont expect the series any time soon!

-----------------------------------

I'm also fairly close on finishing another map (for aow2, playable in SM), designed for either 3 or 6 players... It is more symetrical and traditionally balanced then all of my other maps, but still has a 'greenmonster' feel to it

it started off as a template for a 3 player map (since there is a shocking shortage of those maps available), but then I started fiddling...

now I plan on releasing it as a fully fleshed out map, AND as a template.

anyway, I'm currently looking for people to help me test it in the PBEM forums.
Its not finished, but its at the 'I better test these 50 scripts before I CANT fix them' stage, and the map itself is easily fleshed out enough to play (a few stretches of blank steppe tiles exist, but they will be filled in b4 release ). INterested? then please go to the PBEM forums and sign up!

OFFICIAL PASSWORD KEEPER - email me! aowsm.pass@gmail.com

GMMod for AoW2
'a River Ran Through It' aow2 map 'the Charm'(SM edition)
posted 10-01-03 05:00 AM EDT (US)     28 / 157  
Looking forward to the 'War of the 8 mages' maps, GM!

Currently working on a SM-version of the Fight for Light myself.

Some new features:
* Reworked terrain!
* Interesting and varied heroes with extensive desriptions!
* More and original items!
* More crypts, dungeons and other exploration sites to adventure!
* Some new events!
* A more explorative underground area!
* Corrected few mistakes
* Map made even more strategic!
* New races used (Nomads, Shadow Demons.. few Syron)
* Still NO haste berry trees!

I'm very much in doubt about putting in individual city/grow limits since the balance worked pretty well. I might still, as it allows more diversity! Perhaps I'll release two versions.. thoughts are welcome!

My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 10-01-03 10:34 AM EDT (US)     29 / 157  
You can play my "War of the 8 Heroes" map, or the alternate map, "Wizard Island" while you wait for GM's maps to come out. Any feedback you can send me will be considered. I still plan on revising the map for AoW:SM, but that is a bit in the future right now. The existing map should work in AoW:SM as well as AoW2.
posted 10-02-03 12:30 PM EDT (US)     30 / 157  
I'm currently working on a campaighn, and a senerio.

The campaighn follows after the game and you play as the Syrons who find another planet almost completly conquored by the shadow deamons, but the hive mind isn't there yet to start destroying the planet... There is, of course, a twist.

The senerio is a rpg/trigger game where you are one of 2 different people trying to get through this labyrnth. The twist is that both players have different personalities, so one may be a tunnel as a shortcut, andthe other a trap, ect.

posted 10-09-03 02:46 PM EDT (US)     31 / 157  
I am currently working on an XL map crammed full of events and goodies, hopefully in the company of a consortium of others who each specialize in writing certain types of events.

It is designed for GreenMonster's Mod, which I can't recommend too highly.

The working title is The World of Kwalishar.

Arch-Enemy of the Annoyingly Dense
Practitioner of Whimsy
Celt,Finn & Swede Elder Gamer
posted 11-06-03 01:52 PM EDT (US)     32 / 157  
Current Projects:

Flight From Shadow SM/ XL
Archons (w/ Halflings) on the run and heading towards an unknown land. SP and Co-op MP.

The Soulclaw Saga/ Campaign
The origin and early career of Soulclaw the Necromancer.

[This message has been edited by Alex Mars (edited 11-06-2003 @ 01:52 PM).]

posted 12-10-03 12:47 PM EDT (US)     33 / 157  
Hunters of Blood III - Shadows of Legends Past is going to be released any day now,I made a couple of extra heroes for fun,they are based on people on this forum,some of them with small changes to their names,here are some examples:

Thalon Thorn - Orc
Arsiel - Elves
Dab Kharagh - Goblins
Jamie Jengar - Archons
Mister Pickles - Frosties
Oleg Magog - Undead
Swolte Dutchman - Humans
Lucretia - Draconians

there are more,but I will not list everybody here.

The map contains more then 520 heroes and around 350 arties.
3 level map with 2 filled levels and one small.

DIX

posted 12-10-03 01:09 PM EDT (US)     34 / 157  
I feel honoured
posted 12-21-03 07:19 PM EDT (US)     35 / 157  
If the "Jamie" one was based on me, I too am honoured ( but if it isn't never mind )

Also, my reason for posting here is that people may soon notice a certain, special new picture appearing on the front page of AoWH sometimes. Its the second shadow magic picture if people want to go hunting...

posted 12-21-03 07:34 PM EDT (US)     36 / 157  
Thx, DIX!

Hob was one of my fav AoW1 maps! It forced me to play with the low level units and stuff for a long time because of the clever map design, I believe!

Too bad the current doesnt use the city limits, though (I only checked briefly). Map looks great!

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 12-21-2003 @ 07:35 PM).]

posted 12-22-03 01:56 AM EDT (US)     37 / 157  
Thanks,Arsiel,Jamie,Swolte
Yes Jamie its based on you.
Swolte,no I didn't use any city limits,but I'm always open for suggestions.

DIX

posted 12-22-03 03:30 PM EDT (US)     38 / 157  
*cough*

posted 12-23-03 03:07 AM EDT (US)     39 / 157  
Map looks nice DIX!

Oleg... lol.

posted 12-23-03 03:17 PM EDT (US)     40 / 157  
|Keln's Journey|

When the mage Hyrthel disappeared Guildmaster Keln of the Kyrth Mage's Guild sent out a request for heroes. Since Ruvlar, a experienced ranger and mage, was in the area, he joined the cause. He started toward Kyrth for more details on where Hyrthel was and perhaps more military support.

Note: I haven't worked on this scenario in a long while, and it still has some bugs that need to be fixed. It is about 90% complete.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Scenario Design » Post your Scenario Previews here!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames