Please login or register

AoW2/SM Scenario Design
Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Give "Valleys of the Lost II" Beta a try
posted 05-03-03 01:26 PM EDT (US)   
It can be downloaded here:The Wizards of Creation in the download section.

This is the follow up of the popular and well rated Valleys of the Lost for AoW1.

Features:
-XL-map with extensive underground
-610 kb in size
-All races are present
-8 wizards to choose from , all 8 have equal starting positions
-Is supposed to be a challenging single player map
-beautiful and detailed scenery ,including warped landscapes and home made vulcano's and altars.
-NO Password, so you can check it out in the editor

Before playing keep in mind that this is a Beta version, I still need to finish it.
The things need finishing are:
-signs
-background for several wizards
-Story (already started with some wizards)
-certain events, including the Arena event
-naming cities (already done some but not the most)

While playtesting, i even once had 3 wizards on magnificant including The Frostlings !! They had all kinds of level 4 critters build or summoned on you only start with one city !

For screenshots go here and here.

I hope you have fun and please post your findings either here or in the forums section at the wizards of creation.

[This message has been edited by Damon Rellik (edited 05-04-2003 @ 09:51 PM).]

Replies:
posted 05-03-03 07:17 PM EDT (US)     1 / 11  
I must say that the new map looks absolutly brilliant. Please people give him back some feedback, even if you don't have time to play it, they at least give him some encouragment as he has spent a long time on this.

Experience the ultimate single player map for Shadow Magic here

Battles of Creation : The Blackened Mire

Get the legendary Battle Of Creation that began it all here...

posted 05-03-03 11:35 PM EDT (US)     2 / 11  
I'm playing it atm - about turn 50 or so.
Looks very nice so far
You certainly have put a lot of work into it.
The scenery is very good.
It's going to take a very long time to complete.
I've got some very good pices of equipment so far.
Custom heroes are good.
I give it 10/10 so far.
10/10 for the Wizards of Creation website too.
posted 05-03-03 11:46 PM EDT (US)     3 / 11  
Tx guys , i am glad you like it

Download the BETA of Valleys of the Lost II for AoW2 in the downloadsection here: The Wizards of Creation and give your comments in the :Heavengames forums or in the forum at the Wizards of Creation.
Creator of: Valleys of the Lost for AoW1

posted 05-17-03 01:54 PM EDT (US)     4 / 11  
One small bug report -- on turn 1, the following series of actions produced a strange result:
1) attacked (and captured) nearby cosmos node with knight, cav, wizard (playing as human).
2) mana level was immediately reset from 0 to -100.
3) at the start of turn 2, mana then reset to 0, regardless of settings (which is just as well, as I wasn't looking forward to having go to -65, then -30, etc... ).

Map looks very nice, otherwise.

(edit) actually, turn 1 just seems to be in something of a limbo state -- no builds permitted (insufficient funds), even though 250 gold show in the treasury.

Not a big deal, though -- things seem fine from turn 2 on, just a little weird.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 05-17-2003 @ 02:16 PM).]

posted 05-17-03 07:39 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11  
Mmm that bug would be the Altar trigger event.
Gamewise it is not possible to have a negative account so it will reset every new turn to zero. But you shouldn't even got a negative account as i programmed the event to start when you at least got 100 mana , so it shouldn't have triggered at all. Have to look into that , TX

As for not being able to build anything on turn 1 , thats something i never have encountered before. Everytime i played it i could start building on turn 1.
But another bug that is known is that somewhere between turn 1 and 10 an AI player doesn't finish his turn. The easiest problem to fix this is save the turn and load it again, after that it shouldn't occour anymore.
I think the problem lies in the many events and\or in an non working or not properly working event (could be the altar event).

Anyway TX for playing the map and for your reply

Download the BETA of Valleys of the Lost II for AoW2 in the downloadsection here: The Wizards of Creation and give your comments in the :Heavengames forums or in the forum at the Wizards of Creation.

posted 05-20-03 00:21 AM EDT (US)     6 / 11  
I'm on turn 2 and the game is stuck in the AI turn. I waited 8 minutes and then shut down the program through the task manager. I've never had this problem with an AoW2 map before.
posted 05-20-03 01:39 AM EDT (US)     7 / 11  
Please read the post above yours Alex

[This message has been edited by Damon Rellik (edited 05-20-2003 @ 01:39 AM).]

posted 10-10-03 08:49 PM EDT (US)     8 / 11  

[This message has been edited by Damon Rellik (edited 04-24-2004 @ 06:08 AM).]

posted 03-21-04 00:44 AM EDT (US)     9 / 11  
Where can I find this? Direct link would be great. THanks!
posted 03-21-04 11:26 AM EDT (US)     10 / 11  
i'm downloading your map at the moment. but i found it strange that you haven't yet developed a story or background, but almost built the map completely. i always work the completely other way around - i take an idea of a series of events, a conquest or just a world, and start building a map out of that. This method allows me to always ask myself "isit logical for a node to be here" and so on, why i ask
Is there any certain reasons for you to work in the way you do, or have I misunderstood you, believing you've made the map first. And if you did the map first, what spawned the idea of the map - from what idea was it built?
posted 04-24-04 06:07 AM EDT (US)     11 / 11  
Hello camelrider,
sorry for answering so late , but i am not into aow2\sm lately, although still playing AoW1.
As for your question, well i am more of a landscaper then a story teller as you have noticed. But designing a map and the story\background goes side by side but a pretty map is top priority for me. I work like this:
-What do i want the scenario\map to have ?
in this case; 8 players,xl-size(i like big maps),
each alignment present, good scenery as the prettier the map the more chance people will replay it.
And balanced starting positions for each player (replay vallue).I also wanted a link with the original AoW1 game since it is quite popular (never change a winning formula ).Then i began to think what the basic story would be.
I started by placing the starting positions first then i placed the 2 cities in the middle of the map(1 top 1 underground) as they are key positions of the story.
From here on i start landscaping beginning with the starting area's. When the first is finished i will landscape the next one similar; same amount of resources and view but still different in landscape.

The rest of the map goes with the flow of creativity;
when i get an idea , i try to implement it into the map
for instance selfmade vulcanoes (there are 3 in the map) or a swamp area.
But my major concern (now i think about it) is Ballance.
Although the landscape is different allover resources and cities must be available in the same amount and reach for each single player.

Ok enough with the babbling, in short these are my ingredients for a good map:
replay vallue=ballanced=pretty landscape=many players

Hope that cleared things up for you and as you might have noticed , it is not the easiest way to create a map, but it works for me

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Scenario Design » Give "Valleys of the Lost II" Beta a try
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames