Please login or register

AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: MC - Suggestions for the 2004 MC's
posted 12-01-03 02:22 PM EDT (US)   
Here's what I had in mind, please tell me what you think.

Points and rules as before.

We play three months at a time, where the people placed 1st, 2nd and 3rd place after those three months gets a gold, silver and bronze medal. After 12 months, the one with the most gold medals wins. If two people have the same amount of gold medals, the silver medals are counted etc...

There's one map per month as usual where the lowest amount of turns wins, but there's also a big map (XL) each three months where the objective is not to finish it, but to complete as many quests as possible within 100 turns (or something). Each completed quest gives the player a certain amount of points, ranging from 1 to 5, depending on difficulty.

The ranking list continues as usual with only the latest five events counting.

Any other suggestions are welcome. If you hate the ideas let me know, you are the ones who are going to play....

Btw, do you guys want to play with or without leaders?

Replies:
posted 12-01-03 02:35 PM EDT (US)     1 / 4  
Let's see if I got this right.
You are suggesting two ranking lists?
One with medal count that lasts a year and one with points that keeps a rolling five month ranking. Where does the quest map come in? Medal or point list?

Btw. I think the quest map is a good idea. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Leaders on or off doesn't matter to me, as long it is clearly specified which one that should be used.

Lord Lurifax
posted 12-01-03 03:00 PM EDT (US)     2 / 4  
The ranking list is just to keep track of who's best at the moment (or maybe we should skip it?). The points from the quest map should go into both lists (just like the sizzler did in the current ranking list). Hmm... We have to use the last four events though in the ranking list, not five.
posted 12-01-03 03:02 PM EDT (US)     3 / 4  
I prefer leaders off...otherwise too easy to kill the opposition...I think it is better (fairer) if people want to avoid having to hunt everyone down to instead have capture location objectives...that avoids the problem of the enemy leader wandering off and presenting an easy kill.

I probably will not be able to play the MC in December...be gone for about half the month and busy the other half...but I will be back in force for 2004

Thanks for working on this Magog.

posted 12-05-03 10:16 PM EDT (US)     4 / 4  
I like the concept of the "quest" map. I imagine it will be similar to Arctic Wolf's unofficial competition on his heartwood forest map. The only caution is to not let the points for the quest map skew the standings the way the Summer Sizzler did this year for Eriksson and myself (we got 35 each for a tie, Sprout got low teens and was only 1 day behind I think, Eriksson missed a few months and no one could catch me)

For the "normal" maps I'd recommend that they not be designed to be completed in really short times (under 10). With games lasting 20-40 turns I think it allows more options than just rush and kill and hope your TC skills are up to snuff. We had a few months in 03 where multiple players did exactly the same thing and ended up with exactly the same score. Obviously it's hard enough coming up with maps let alone the challenge of estimating how long it will take to finish them.

I'm all in favor of anything that encourages more participants than the 4-6 we seem to be getting, be it changes in scoring or other. There are dozens on the WL signed up and several others not on the ladder that play (I've read your posts and know you're out there).

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » MC - Suggestions for the 2004 MC's
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames