Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: November Monthly Challenges, 2002
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 11-17-02 08:06 AM EDT (US)   

Monthly Challenge

Monthly Challenge - November 2002

The AoW1 challenge for November 2002 is to find and kill Draco Lawgiver! To download the AoW1 map, check the links listed in the Competitions & Tournaments Forum. Your objective is to conquer the scenario in the least number of turns.

You may play simultaneous or classic turns.

You must play Dark Elves.

You must play with the following settings:

• Leaders OFF

• Allied Victory OFF

• Exploration ON

Please save your progress every 10 days under a new file name. Be sure to make a special, final save just before initiating your victory battle.

Please submit your game save for the winning turn to Roger the Rampant (alternate email address)
before 23:59 US Eastern Time on Saturday, November 30th, 2002.

AoW2 Monthly Challenge:

For AoW2 we are using the excellent and fun map Koilio 2 - Poilio by Mr. Pickles. Your task is to win the scenario as quickly as possible.

You may play simultaneous or classic turns.

You must play as Sir Itch E. Bum

The Goblin Queen must be set to CPU Emperor

You must play with the following settings:

• Allied Victory OFF

• Exploration ON

Please save your progress every 10 days under a new file name. Be sure to make a special, final save just before initiating your victory battle.

Please submit your game save for the winning turn to Roger the Rampant (alternate email address)
before 23:59 US Eastern Time on Saturday, November 30th, 2002

[This message has been edited by Roger the Rampant (edited 12-03-2002 @ 07:26 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11-17-02 08:21 PM EDT (US)     1 / 57  
*ahem* Poilio 2: Koilio

"Count no man happy until he is dead"
-Solon
posted 11-18-02 07:45 AM EDT (US)     2 / 57  
Thanks for that, Mr. P!

Also it is possibly worth mentioning that the AoW1 map wasn't previously downloading, due to me using more than 40 characters in the title, but it has now been fixed. Thanks to Eriksson for pointing out the problem, and Angel Draco for remedying it so promptly

So if you have tried before and given up, it may be worth trying again now

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 11-18-02 11:04 AM EDT (US)     3 / 57  
btw, shouldn't this be frontpage news too and all..

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 11-18-02 12:03 PM EDT (US)     4 / 57  
It definitely should! Let's see if I remember how to do this...
posted 11-18-02 03:42 PM EDT (US)     5 / 57  
Any rules about customizing the hero/leader/wizard, for example the sphere selection in the AoW1 challenge?
posted 11-18-02 04:43 PM EDT (US)     6 / 57  
No - please feel free to customise as much as you like
posted 11-20-02 01:58 PM EDT (US)     7 / 57  
Problem with AoW2 map?
I am at Day 6 or so and I am getting cramps from the onslaught of Frogs. They come in groups of 4 on the indies turn. So I even cant save in between the attacks.
My forces beat the 17th group now, but I am tired and I dont think Pickles can have intended this! My 2 rouges both have more than 100 exp now, but I already lost 1 sheriff and a Pony Rider - dont think I can handly 20 more to come...
this must be a BUG????
posted 11-20-02 04:21 PM EDT (US)     8 / 57  
Nah... look at the sign

And watch out for them fwoggies!

What's the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate
if you can't blow something up?

[This message has been edited by vintermus (edited 11-21-2002 @ 03:20 AM).]

posted 11-20-02 05:21 PM EDT (US)     9 / 57  
Actually, you should just look at the sign:

"Beware - a seemingly unlimited number of killer frogs will attack!"

HINT: If you take the hex from where the Halfling Peasant is, and the hex the sign is on, and merge them in the water (3 hexes) you'll know where they spawn, or the hex that is 2 hexes north of the northernmost tree to the right of the sign. Stay out of any hex three hexes away from it! There's about 15 land hexes one should stay away from

So the gist of it all is: You should've read the sign

Actually, I had posted something about how that shouldn't be the case, and that I would fix it, but it occurs to me. The sign explains exactly what's going on.

-Solon

[This message has been edited by Mister Pickles (edited 11-20-2002 @ 05:33 PM).]

posted 11-21-02 00:56 AM EDT (US)     10 / 57  

Quote:

"Beware - a seemingly unlimited number of killer frogs will attack!"

Well I killed already a seemingly unlimited number of Frogs! MY questions is "is it unlimited or limited - does it end, whenever?"
posted 11-21-02 09:24 AM EDT (US)     11 / 57  
Heh heh...despite the fact I blew an hour and a half last night killing about 25 waves of frogs, I had to laugh when they finally got me, and an absurd number of leftover Lurkers poured out of the water and covered the shore. There must have been at least 40 total, just covering the landscape! It was surreal. I'm kicking myself about the fact I didn't get a screen capture.

This is just a guess, but it looks like every time you kill a group of frogs, it spawns two more groups to take its place.

posted 11-21-02 03:55 PM EDT (US)     12 / 57  
So far we have two submissions for the AoW2 Monthly Challenge for November

Manuk was first to submit, having completed the map in 24 days. Vintermus was second to submit, with 31 days

There's still a week left to have a go - why not try it out yourself

The AoW1 contestants are presumably saving themselves until nearer the deadline

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 11-23-02 09:16 PM EDT (US)     13 / 57  
I would be that the reason hardly anyone is responding to this challenge is the unlimited frog problem. This is in my opinion really poor scenario design. We are supposed to be having fun instead of butchering hundreds of frogs.

Don't get me wrong, love the map and the storyline with the subplots. But to be in turn 25 and have my hero killed because of the unlimited frogs, bites.

I think you need to reevaluate what people are looking for when they play AOW2. It's all about having a good time.

posted 11-23-02 10:28 PM EDT (US)     14 / 57  
What often happens in the Monthly Challenge, Thundarr, is that a lot of people don't send their turns in until the very last minute, once they know what they have to produce to stand a chance of winning

AoW1: Berend submitted his first attempt, having killed Draco in 40 days. He has now submitted a second attempt, having done it in 32 days

AoW2: Manuk has now submitted a second attempt, this time having completed it in just 13 days

PLEASE ONLY SEND IN THE WINNING TURN, OTHERWISE MY MAILBOX FILLS UP TOO QUICKLY. We will ask for the other saved turns *only* if we need them. Thanks

posted 11-24-02 06:27 AM EDT (US)     15 / 57  
Just wanted to say you did a extremely nice job on the map with those "obstacles" Roger. That takes most of my time

"A save a day keeps the frustration away"

edit : typo

Narf!
Kham award for first post with an ounce of intelligence.
"Enough chit chat. Let's go to battle men."
Wu Su Zheng award "Worst Staff Member Ever"

[This message has been edited by Berend (edited 11-24-2002 @ 06:28 AM).]

posted 11-24-02 08:17 AM EDT (US)     16 / 57  
Thanks - it was a fun map to make

posted 11-24-02 05:27 PM EDT (US)     17 / 57  
I don't think you should post the result of players efforts until the competition is over.

Ok, it gives you something to beat but those who can't beat it maybe won't even bother send in their effort...

hm...maybe it's fun having something to beat...hm...

/Eriksson
Life is nothing but a game
poe@telia.com
posted 11-24-02 05:43 PM EDT (US)     18 / 57  
Well i just beat my own time..care to try to beat me or the others Eriksson..
*knows he can beat me easily*

Narf!

[This message has been edited by Berend (edited 11-24-2002 @ 05:43 PM).]

posted 11-24-02 06:47 PM EDT (US)     19 / 57  
I will try, I just haven't had time yet. I tried it once to check whcih is the fastest way to go and so on but no serious try...and by turn 25 when the time releases went off it got unplayable cuz of the time the ai thinks...so I'll have to do it within the 25 days I guess

/Eriksson
Life is nothing but a game
poe@telia.com
posted 11-24-02 09:35 PM EDT (US)     20 / 57  
Just for the record, when I tried the monthly challenge, I had no unlimited frog problem. As long as you don't end one of your unit's turn inside the small area, you'll be alright. It's a surprise that makes sure you save your game, if not, that's your tough luck. You can't go through any of my scenarios thinking that the only problem you're going to encounter is the computer AI, and that all you have to worry about is how many units/cities and heroes I gave them. Stay on your toes and don't complain when an event makes you lose. I fail to see poor scenario design *looks at Poilio 2's rating on HG and Battleground*

Oh, and I'm not sending in my turn...it's almost embarrassing

13 days? Is he serious??

-Solon
posted 11-25-02 02:05 AM EDT (US)     21 / 57  
Wow, 13 days for Poilio 2- Koilio is awesome
posted 11-25-02 07:31 AM EDT (US)     22 / 57  
I agree that I shouldn't mention the exact number of days until all entries are in, my apologies, it won't happen again

However, is it OK to give you an idea of what you're aiming for? If so, the AoW1 submissions are coming in at less than 20 days now. If not, tough, coz I've told you anyway!

Good luck, have fun, and watch out for those fwoggies

posted 11-25-02 01:15 PM EDT (US)     23 / 57  
Well i would like to know the least number of days a map has been done (though i don't have to know his/her name) so i can see in how many days i have to try to complete a map.
But then again that could be only my perspective..

Narf!
posted 11-25-02 02:20 PM EDT (US)     24 / 57  
For the first time in ages, I've played a single player game in AoW1 (only PBEM otherwise). I think I did a really good job, so whatever your current best is, Berend, you'll probably have to do it at least one day faster.
posted 11-26-02 00:54 AM EDT (US)     25 / 57  
I found the AoW 1 game very annoying. Maybe I'm just going the wrong direction. The signs said I had to kill the gold dragon of something or other, which I did along with the seven leprichans (that was a nasty suprise). But the two teleporters behind the gold dragon lead back to the beginning or to another enclosed cave with four enemy cities and the teleporters in that cave only lead to the surface.

What am I missing?

posted 11-26-02 05:04 AM EDT (US)     26 / 57  
There might be other ways to go too, and perhaps some tunneling could help?

I ran into a sign saying something like "Map makers don't always tell the truth". So, don't trust the signs!

[This message has been edited by Nojd (edited 11-26-2002 @ 05:14 AM).]

posted 11-26-02 07:57 AM EDT (US)     27 / 57  
You've gone the wrong way, Hesiden

posted 11-26-02 11:56 AM EDT (US)     28 / 57  
Roger please do post the number of turns the map has been done in. You can just leave out the naem of the person, thereby satisfying those who think it is unfair, but something to aim for would be nice. My current record is 17 turns, but I wont bother filling your mailbox until I get it somewhat less...
posted 11-26-02 01:13 PM EDT (US)     29 / 57  
Suppose someone would submit a really good result very early in the competition, and the result was announced. I think that would make very few people send in their attempts, and we would end up with nearly empty list of competitors.
posted 11-26-02 01:36 PM EDT (US)     30 / 57  
Perhaps so...but surely it has been long enough that people are into the map and that would not be the result...
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » November Monthly Challenges, 2002
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames