Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Summer 2008 Mapmaking Competition
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 07-04-08 03:32 PM EDT (US)   
Mapmaking Competition

It’s here.. it’s time… for the Summer 2008 AOW1 Mapmaking Competition!!!!!

We've still got some life in us.... let's make some more maps so we can have some fun!!! Also.... we want to have a 1v1 tourney and we will use the winning map for the tourney

Map Categories

1. AoW1 Multi-Player Maps 1v1

2. AoW1 Anything goes category (for those of you that don't want to make a 1v1 map)

The Rules
All maps must be NEW maps so if it's currently available in the downloads section it is not eligible for this competition. Submit maps to the downloads section in the normal way then put a post in this thread to let us know the name of the map submitted, and which category (or categories) you want it entered into.

Category 1 for 1v1 maps - All maps must be playable under standard Triumph Studios TS136 ruleset. Any size, any races, etc just keep in mind that putting 12 races and 3 levels on a huge map for a 1v1 game may not be the best course of action (just a tip from one of the judges )

Category 2 for anything goes maps - Any ruleset can be used for the second category, any size, any number of players... it's anything goes!

You can enter as many maps as you want, and you can enter them in either category 1 or 2 (but not both). Tip.... if you don't want your map to be used in the tourney then just submit it to the anything goes category.

The closing date for submissions is Sept 15, 2008 (23:59 US Eastern time).

Any forum member can submit a map, but it must be a map they have created themselves, although other people can be involved (help playtest, translate, write story, etc).

The Judges and Scoring

Maps will be scored by a panel of judges (yet to be determined but I'll be one of them). These judges will score the map based on several criteria

Category 1 (1v1 maps) - Balance, playability, and is it worthy of being the map for the tourney.

Category 2 (antyhing goes maps) - Fun, Originality, Creativity, playability

Prizes

Eternal Fame and Glory will be given to the winners. In addition.... the winner of the 1v1 map will have the honor of having that map used in our Fall 2008 1v1 single elimination tournament (details to come in a month or so).

Resources

If you need some cool tips for creating good AoW1 maps, you can go to our Custom Map Makers Resource, created by the highly talented Blue Collar Heaven. AOW Custom Map Makers' Resource

Once maps are registered in this thread I'll create a list of all the maps.

Feel free to comment or ask any questions about the competition in this thread.

Registered Maps

Category 1 - 1v1 head to head maps

Mirages - by Skout
Lineage - by Skout
Snowscapes and Mirages - by Arctic Wolf is the Winning Map
An Ode to A.E Van Vogt - Arctic Wolf late
The Seventh Closure - Crazyslyhawk
Roots of chaos - Crazyslyhawk

Category 2 - Anything Goes Maps

Shadows of the past II - Skout
The Warren - by Iguanaonastick is the Winning Map
War of the ways of living - by Eriksson
From North - by Raupe

(edit - corrected the date, updated registered maps list,added winners)

[This message has been edited by Enginerd (edited 11-01-2008 @ 07:19 PM).]

Replies:
posted 09-16-08 12:08 PM EDT (US)     61 / 90  
Another header update

AW emailed me his map some time ago and it is still in my inbox, I'll have to get it uploaded. I believe CSH and Raupe's maps will show up today once Swolte gets to them.

10 maps! 3 from Skout , well done. I'm pleased to see some new mapmakers give it a shot too. We'll make sure we get Dazzle's map next time.
posted 09-16-08 04:18 PM EDT (US)     62 / 90  
I completely forgot to upload Roots. It was not a very strong entry but I'm happy new mapmakers have arrived on the scene

Token Irish Gamer!
posted 09-17-08 12:10 PM EDT (US)     63 / 90  
Aww, I noticed this too late. Was anyone brave and bored(?) enough to make an XL map?
posted 09-17-08 02:35 PM EDT (US)     64 / 90  
CSH - if your second map is done then send it in, we may ding you slightly for forgetting to send it in (or maybe not) but we'll get it on the list.

Oh... I'd also like to announce that our judges will be (drum role please)

Enginerd (well you knew that was coming)
Draco (always nice to have a VIP)
Dan Peterson (two time mapmaking competition winner)
posted 09-17-08 04:27 PM EDT (US)     65 / 90  
I will upload Roots of Chaos now for larfs.

The Seventh Closure is XL

Token Irish Gamer!
posted 09-22-08 03:02 PM EDT (US)     66 / 90  
Checking in again...silence again.

Could it be my weird upload crashed the judges' computers or are all our maps so great they are speechless

Perfer the second option.

/Eriksson
Life is nothing but a game
poe@telia.com
posted 09-24-08 09:32 AM EDT (US)     67 / 90  
Speaking of which, when do competitors find out how their map has done?

This is a dignified place for dignified people, young man. Top hats and monocles are not only recommended, they're required.

Black Hound
posted 09-28-08 02:41 PM EDT (US)     68 / 90  
Still working through the maps.... I've asked the judges to try and finish up over the next week or so.

I'll wait and hold out on specific comments until the end but so far I've seen good things and I'm impressed with the maps.
posted 09-28-08 04:37 PM EDT (US)     69 / 90  
I'll definitely be watching for this to happen Engineerd! Unfortunately, my personal issues kept me off finishing my SP scenario I meant for the competition (Not to mean it's not going to be published at all - I'll be soon getting back to designing it), but I'm still curious about the outcome; I haven't played any of these maps yet, but I hope they are indeed as good as you say - they will have to, since there's only eight entries so far (A real shame on us the mapmakers, including me ) we'll, have to do much better next year!)... after all I'm happy to see so many maps from Skout, and a new Arctic's one, but I'm sure the others have done it well too. Now let us hope the judges will have a little bit of mercy left in their hearts and shall not let us wait too long!

Proud author of Finbar's Quest, the winning SP scenario of AoW1 Summer 2007 Mapmaking Competition.
Btw, you guys should really listen to Gandalf, he is very wise
- Josh AoW, Triumph Studios game developer
But does he talk to himself because he's the oldest man around, or does he just talk to himself because... ya'know... ?
- Chow Guy, AoW Heaven Cherub
posted 09-29-08 03:28 AM EDT (US)     70 / 90  
Great to hear from you Gandalf, heres hoping real life resolves itself (I'm still soldiering on here ).

This is really exciting; less than a week from now we could see results!

Token Irish Gamer!

[This message has been edited by CrazySlyHawk (edited 09-29-2008 @ 04:14 PM).]

posted 10-06-08 10:22 AM EDT (US)     71 / 90  
Results to the map making tourney coming soon.... I've been busy pouring over the maps (as have the other judges).

New 1v1 tourney has been opened here
posted 10-07-08 10:59 AM EDT (US)     72 / 90  
I am excited, but I can't explain why, because I don't even have a map entered in this tournament. I'll consider the new 1v1 tournament.

This is a dignified place for dignified people, young man. Top hats and monocles are not only recommended, they're required.

Black Hound
posted 10-22-08 09:53 AM EDT (US)     73 / 90  
Next time I post on this thread I hope to be announcing the winners. Two judges have completed their scoring, the third got sidetracked by some RL issues and will soon be getting me their scores. I'm hoping to put out the news announcement by this Friday the 24th.

Great group of maps and there are no spoilers about the results
posted 10-27-08 04:27 PM EDT (US)     74 / 90  
Already looking forward to the Summer 2009 AOW1 Mapmaking Competition
If my renewed AOW mapmaking interesst continues I should have some maps ready by then

/Eriksson
poe@telia.com

[This message has been edited by Eriksson (edited 10-27-2008 @ 04:27 PM).]

posted 10-28-08 03:14 AM EDT (US)     75 / 90  
But the current one isn't finished until we don't know the results, is it? Anyway, the next opportunity to dust off the map editor is actually much nearer than next summer. Have a look at AOW1 Upcoming Events and Calender topic in General Discussion section; we're having next scenario design tournament as soon as around Christmas/New Year

[This message has been edited by Gandalf theWhite (edited 10-28-2008 @ 03:17 AM).]

posted 10-28-08 08:12 AM EDT (US)     76 / 90  
Yes, with interest and desire we'll have regular mapmaking contests... as far as results of the current one....

My last judge is down to one map left as of last night. He's working frantically to give it the due consideration it deserves. Please be patient, I really do expect to announce the results soon (yes, I know I've been saying that for a week or more ).
posted 10-28-08 10:23 AM EDT (US)     77 / 90  
Even better, I hope the theme will fit what I already have made

/Eriksson
poe@telia.com
posted 10-28-08 04:39 PM EDT (US)     78 / 90  
Engineerd recently said that theme will be chosen after a disscussion on the forum, so will actaully have a chance of steamrolling one that fits your map Now I'll be looking forward for results of the summer competiton. No whinning against the judges, naturally; I know myself that sometimes RL just does not allow to get to AoW.
posted 10-29-08 03:53 PM EDT (US)     79 / 90  
Can you believe that the suspense is killing me? I'm not even entered in this tournament, I mean can you believe it???

Black Hound
posted 10-29-08 04:41 PM EDT (US)     80 / 90  
I've died two times in the past weeks because of the suspense, but what comes is what makes all this waiting interesting and exciting!

The anticipation about the results is great, despite the fact that the playability of my maps is not worth to be compared with others :>
I'm not much of a player, I like it more to create a landscape.

D:

"a wasteful tolerance as a counterweight for our feeling of guilt... fantastic!"
posted 10-31-08 04:56 PM EDT (US)     81 / 90  
The results from the judges are all in... I've sent out the total scores from all three judges back for a quick review to make sure I didn't make any mistakes adding up the scores (it was very close). A news post with the winning maps will be made sometime in the next 24 hrs.... (I'd probably get it done tonight but I must go trick or treating with the kids and then I'll be chasing kids on sugar highs all day long tomorrow ).

Great comments from the judges on all the maps, as usual there were differences in what the judges liked and disliked but I've got lots of great things to say about the maps!
posted 10-31-08 09:14 PM EDT (US)     82 / 90  
Brilliant! Just one more bought of tension and then we can all relax (or crash on sugar).

Token Irish Gamer!
posted 11-01-08 07:11 PM EDT (US)     83 / 90  
Newspost has been added to the AoW1 and AoW2/SM home pages. I've added it here so you don't have to search for it. I'm also going to update the header with the winners.

Fine…. We’ve made you wait long enough for the results… We’ll tell you…. Just keep reading after the big announcement….

1v1 map – Snowscapes and Mirages by Arctic Wolf
Anything goes map – The Warren by Iguanaonastick
Special Judges Award – Skout77 for making 3 maps

Congratulations to the winning mapmakers, well done! Also, many thanks to our judges. Thank you Draco, Thank you Dan Petersson. They spent many hours pouring over and playtesting the maps. We really appreciate their efforts. And we cannot forget to thank everyone who participated. Please congratulate the winners and leave comments here.

As in previous tourneys I am amazed at the quality of maps. There were some pretty tough decisions out there. Each judge had their own likes and dislikes and it was a very close battle in the 1v1 Category. Skout and Arctic Wolf battled it out for the top spot but in the end Arctic Wolf produced the winning map in Snowscapes and Mirages with Skout’s Lineage following very closely behind. Both wonderful maps that we hope you play and enjoy. It was also nice to see newer mapmakers try and take on the more experienced ones. Well done Crazyslyhawk, maybe next time (and he put 2 maps together for this tourney, Wow!).

The anything goes category was truly unique. We had four high quality maps submitted. There were two good single player maps competing against a couple multi player maps with different mods. There was another struggle with the judges on this one…. Do the pink elephants get the nod over the classic Warlocks? Which one of the SP maps is better? Do my preferences lie with the mods or the SP? Tough choices but in the end a clear winner came to the front, congratulations to Iguanaonastick for the winning map made with the Warlocks mod called The Warren. This multiplayer map is a real gem.

Now that we have a winning map for the 1v1 tourney there will be 16 players that will battle it out. Follow along and watch this tourney unfold here.

And don’t forget to download and play the new maps, you won’t regret it. Then leave your comments for the mapmakers, they always appreciate to hear from you.

And if you missed out on this tourney check out the threads for more upcoming competitions…. We’re already talking about the next mapmaking competition
posted 11-01-08 08:08 PM EDT (US)     84 / 90  
Huzzah! Great result and grats to all.

Token Irish Gamer!
posted 11-01-08 09:46 PM EDT (US)     85 / 90  
Congratulations to Skout and to Iguanaonastick.

First off Skout. I believe you made a truly superior map when you made Lineage. I have watched your progress as a mapmaker over several years and I believe you have become one of the best this forum has seen. You have mastered the SPV maps and now you have shown that you can make truly wonderful MPV maps. Once a great mapmaker of the past, FFBJ (download any of his maps and you will see), in this forum paid me the ultimate compliment and indicated that the mapmaking torch had been passed on to me. Now I believe it is time for myself to pass that torch on to you. Let it shine bright and please continue your great efforts.

Next to Iguanaonastick.

Dude!! Where did THE WARREN come from. Excellent job. I agree with the judges completely.

Finally Enginerd.

You are a true friend. I have had a pretty rough go of things personally over the last few years. In our personal correspondence, you allowed me to vent and share these troubles with you. Never did you give me false hopes or insincere wishes. You kept everything in perspective and allowed this ornery sour cuss to be your friend. You need to know how much this has been appreciated. Also your tournament was extremely therapeutic. My thoughts have become clear again and my spirit has been lifted.

And Everyone Else:

Great job on the maps. Great job to the judges (Although maybe Skout should have won the 1vs1). And I guess I'm saying I'm back. I cannot be as active as before but I will be around.

[This message has been edited by Arctic Wolf (edited 11-02-2008 @ 00:41 AM).]

posted 11-02-08 04:17 AM EDT (US)     86 / 90  
Congrats to the winners!

Great maps both of you, haven't had time to play them yet but from looking at them in the editor I understood my own effort wasn´t quite as serious as needed
Well, not saying I would have won anyway, I rarely manage to make maps that are thought trough all the way.

/Eriksson
poe@telia.com

[This message has been edited by Eriksson (edited 11-02-2008 @ 04:20 AM).]

posted 11-02-08 04:47 AM EDT (US)     87 / 90  
Thanks Arctic Wolf for your kind words, but perhaps you are being too modest; 'Snowscapes and Mirages' is a great map and I am sure that the guys will have loads of fun playing it at the tournament.

Besides, 'Lineage'was a map I had started some time ago and submited to the tournament for the heck of it, it's way too large for a normal 1v1 play. Anyway, I am glad you guys liked it.

Congratulations to the winners and to everyone that participated, looking forward to the next mapmaking tournament!

Thanks for the fun, cheers!

[This message has been edited by sKout77 (edited 11-02-2008 @ 05:00 AM).]

posted 11-03-08 02:20 AM EDT (US)     88 / 90  
Congratulations to all the winners! Especially to Iguanaonastick - I didn't actually play him map (unfortunately, I don't play Warlocks), but it's always impressive when a beginner wins a competition, especially if he does with his first scenario ever submitted! I hope that he will continue to make good maps in the future
Arctic has made it excellent as usual, I didn't play his map yet (Will soon, as I'm participating in PBEM tourney), but I'm sure it's it must be well worthy of winning. Also a hat off to Skout for submitting almost a half of the competition maps, and all of high quality. Let's hope the next competition will be more fruitful to him in terms of awards!
posted 11-03-08 08:33 AM EDT (US)     89 / 90  
... wow. I actually won. It's hard to believe but there it is. Cheers guys!

Congratulations to Arctic Wolf for winning the single player map. I'll have to play Snowscapes soon. ;-)

Also congratulations to Scout for the special award. Very deserved. I played Mirages and Lineage in single-player and greatly enjoyed it. I was also impressed with Shadows of the Past, especially where looks and story were concerned, though the gameplay style isn't really for me.

Finally, thanks to the judges and Enginerd for running this competition, which finally made me take the step to actually stop tweaking my map and upload it.

The rest of the maps I'll have to check out as soon as I can get around to it, and then there's the next competition... hmm.
posted 11-08-08 05:26 AM EDT (US)     90 / 90  
I'd like to post my heartfelt congratulations to all of the winners of the tournament! I would also like to show my gratitude to the judges that took the time to make sure they'd made the right choices.

Black Hound
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » Summer 2008 Mapmaking Competition
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames