You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Can You Spin a Tale of Yarn??
posted 08-25-04 04:49 AM EDT (US)   
Hi all. I'm not too sure if anyone is interested but you never know unless you ask. I have a brand new four person map ready but alas I have an incredible case of writers block. Then I thought, why not throw out the idea of a writing competition. I will post the map without the story and let anyone who wants to take a crack at it write the story.

I'm thinking along thes lines:

The map has some interesting features which must be accounted for in the story. The mercenary strikeforce in the nearby town which demands Gold to join; The passages blocked by mysterious fire; The plethora of large Orc and Human towns with no leadership for those races. Perhaps the Orcs and Humans were at war and killed each other leaving the realm ripe for conquest.

As Well message events may be added to the map to carry the story forward. Where I have placed troops seeking refuge, or in look out towers would be great places for these message events.

The only restriction would be that the map cannot be changed, only storyline added.

Please post if you are interested. I'm thinking that the winning story would be added to the final version of the map, and I could provide an e-credit of some kind for the winner to spend at my soon to reopen sports/gaming store which will finally have a spanky new website.

[This message has been edited by Arctic Wolf (edited 08-25-2004 @ 04:51 AM).]

Replies:
posted 08-25-04 11:41 AM EDT (US)     1 / 13  
show the map and I'll do my best

Bah.
posted 08-25-04 11:45 AM EDT (US)     2 / 13  
Send it on. I can't promise anything remotely usable, but I can try.

http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for life. - Karnak
posted 08-25-04 03:34 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13  
Sounds like a great idea. I'll give it a try.
posted 08-25-04 04:14 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13  
Cool!!

The map is titled "The Marshland War" and it will be uploaded soon. I guess I better set out a few guidelines for the competition as follows:

1) This competition is strictly for fun and enjoyment al all forum members. As such the story should not include any profanity or content spiteful in nature towards other forum members or towards recognizable groups in society. Basically don't submit hateful propaganda. Satire is very acceptable as long as it is in good taste.

2) The story must capture the essential elements of the map, and include reasons for each races wish for ascension.

3) Message events are desirable but should not overwhelm the map.

4) The Story should be constructed for the four person version of the map. (I have included variations of the map for two player games and a single player game)

5) You may change the names of Heroes and leaders to suit your storyline but you may not add heroes or units to the map. (I've worked very hard on balance)

6) The competition is open until December 1, 2004

7) The above are only guidelines not rules. If you can improve the map and keep it balanced with a great idea... go for it.

A link to the download will be provided ASAP

posted 08-25-04 10:58 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13  
So how do we submit entries, I'm going to try and do one?

Do we modify the map putting in our story line or just send a text document?

I imagine we can submit more than one entry or is there a limit (I'll feel good if I get one entry)?

Would you prefer we modify the story for leaders ON or leaders OFF (I prefer to play leaders OFF so that's the one I'm going to start with but I could go either way)

I look forward to having fun with this one. Thanks for the opportunity

posted 08-26-04 10:53 AM EDT (US)     6 / 13  
From Enginerd:

1. So how do we submit entries, I'm going to try and do one?

I submitted the map to the uploads section last night. To submit an entry I suggest that you post the story here. Indicate if you are adding message events to the map. I hope others will comment on the story to help me judge.

2. Do we modify the map putting in our story line or just send a text document?

E-mail the new map to me with the story and message events. use the ARCTICW459@AOL.COM email address.

3. I imagine we can submit more than one entry or is there a limit (I'll feel good if I get one entry)?

The more the merrier

4. Would you prefer we modify the story for leaders ON or leaders OFF (I prefer to play leaders OFF so that's the one I'm going to start with but I could go either way)

In the leaders off version I have supplied dummy leaders for the map. So writing the story for the leaders on perspective should be fine.

Have fun with this guys and gals!!

posted 08-26-04 01:06 PM EDT (US)     7 / 13  
I just approved your map, so now everyone can download it from here : http://aow.heavengames.com/downloads/php/getfile.php3?type=Multi&id=290
posted 08-28-04 07:07 PM EDT (US)     8 / 13  
I'll give it a try :/

Check out the map series of Echmeandor, an interesting group of scenarios that I've created...
posted 09-01-04 07:28 AM EDT (US)     9 / 13  
I'm interested. When I get back to normal life I will give this a go.
posted 09-01-04 10:40 AM EDT (US)     10 / 13  
It seems we have enough interest. Perhaps someone could add this to the AOW news page? That would be really cool.
posted 09-01-04 11:22 AM EDT (US)     11 / 13  
I did that a long time ago.
posted 01-04-05 00:14 AM EDT (US)     12 / 13  
And the Winner is......................

Gandalf

His fine submission reached me by Email about a month ago but I was waiting for more submissions. Alas others who suggested they may take a crack at the story came up empty handed.

The Story will be posted here once Gandalf edits and rewrites it to his satisfaction.

Good Job Gandalf!!

posted 01-11-05 03:56 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13  
Without further ado....the winning story!!

Great Job Gandalf

The Mashland Wars
(Story by Gandalf the White)

Five years after first Humans set foot in World of Wonders, Lizardmen wizards have created an underground marsh – the Marshland – as safe haven for their race, because the times were dangerous and cruel; Humans and their allies Orcs devastated and looted Inioch’s empire and turned against other races. Seeking conquest and glory, they invaded Marshlands, defeated Lizard Men and estabilished their own kingdoms. Yet
Lizards didn’t surrender completely: their shamans were sneaking about in the lands, trying to persuade both Orcs and Humans that they are much stronger than each other and should take whole Marshlands and other nearby lands for themselves. Soon their intrigues started war. Humans and Orcs fought five years- five years of chaos and destruction – until came terrible battle at fields of Swamp Guard, in which most of best Orcish and Human blood was shed. Finally the Orcs won, but they were far too weak to conquer Human lands. Both races hired many mercenaries and year after they started new war; but this time Orcish armies consisted mostly of Dark Elves and Goblins, and Azracs and Frostlings could be seen much more often than Humans. After next five years two once mighty races found themselves scattered and surrounded by their numberous allies, and made peace; but it was too late and proud Azracs, distrusting Frostlings, cave-loving Goblins and mysterious Dark Elves took domination. Soon they have started new war for control over the land…
But Lizard Men wizards never forgot that the Marshlands were once theirs, and decided to destroy its new dwellers; they summoned powerful creatures to guard important locations, fires to block the underground passages and allowed Sea Serpents to roam in the rivers…

Enjoy!

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » Can You Spin a Tale of Yarn??
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames