Please login or register

AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: MC - June 2004, A Battle for Evermore
posted 06-06-04 05:41 PM EDT (US)   
The Monthly Challenge for May is an edited version of Arctic Wolf's "A Battle for Evermore". Your job is to complete this special Monthly Challenge version of the map in as few turns as possible.

Settings :
You must play as Undead
Allied victory OFF
Exploration ON or OFF
Leaders ON.
Customization OFF

Please save on days 5, 10, 20, 30 and every 10 days thereafter, and also save immediately before the final battle - that final battle must be winnable with FC.

Two bonus items are hidden on the map, The Red and the Blue Ring. Two bonus points are awarded per item if you own it.

The map can be found in the DL section. All entries must be received by 23:59 GMT on June 30th 2004.

Good Luck!

Submissions recieved from :

Feyd Rautha
Unicorn77
Enginerd

[This message has been edited by Magog (edited 06-26-2004 @ 03:39 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06-06-04 08:11 PM EDT (US)     1 / 17  
I just dare Sprout and Enginerd to beat this one in 10 days or less! Not sure how much you changed it Magog but my best score in playtesting was 68 days. And that was with the breaks going my way! I hope everyone enjoys this.
posted 06-06-04 08:16 PM EDT (US)     2 / 17  
I removed Regeneration from the players leader and removed the wraith from his/her party (I guess that makes it even harder ).
posted 06-06-04 09:11 PM EDT (US)     3 / 17  
I've tried the first few turns and something is happening now that didn't happen in playtesting. The Humans are razing the Builders Guild, which is really cool. Now you must fight the Guardians at the prison to in order to get a builder. Without regeneration on the hero and without the wraith that prison battle is really tough. Good idea removing the wraith as it really makes mincemeat of the Humans.

I am planning to use this map as my final end map in my Shadowmane campaign. Thanks to you Magog I shall have some free playtesters.

posted 06-09-04 01:37 PM EDT (US)     4 / 17  
Yeah... uhm.. this is a beast of a scenario

My biggest problem right now is gold. I'm getting blasted on gold production and I'm probably going to have to send some of my armies to the slaughter if it keeps up. Luckilly I've had no major defections yet. I've got a good start going and I'm about to eliminate the elves on Day 11 or 12.

One thing I would note, I only play classic and with the odds going against you like they are then I'd recommend it. I had to fight the entire 8 stack at the starting Human city, but I was able to defeat it and get the guild intact. I beat the dungeon battle in turn 2 though so it was a bit of a moot point.

I do believe that there will be a lot of restarts until healing water is a starting spell... it's saved my kiester more times than I'd like to admit.

Peace...

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Feyd Rautha
"It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the beans of Java, that my thoughts acquire speed;
The hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning.
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion."
posted 06-14-04 01:49 AM EDT (US)     5 / 17  
Well, I finished. I didn't find any of the rings, but I came in under Artic Wolf's time.

Good luck to you others!

Peace.

Feyd Rautha
posted 06-19-04 03:22 PM EDT (US)     6 / 17  
This has been great fun! I played it through once and finished it in 71 days! But that was completely blind and I just finished the second attempt in considerably less, knowing where to find the leaders helped a lot!!
posted 06-28-04 11:02 PM EDT (US)     7 / 17  
Interesting map...although again, with leaders on, it makes it much easier. Only had a chance to run through the map once...ten days sure would be difficult to attain.

Good luck to the rest of you...now on to the quarterly challenge.

posted 07-01-04 10:54 AM EDT (US)     8 / 17  
Come on, Magog - post the results...the suspense is killing me

Actually, not sure how others played this map, but I aimed for the prisons that were scattered around to release some troops and otherwise just went crazy aiming for leaders. One of my initial boats headed towards the southeast to pick off the halfling leader then went to the southeast to free some more prisoners and get one of the rings - then was going to take out Highmen leader, but were too slow. My incarnate took out the Elf leader, while my leader got 50 movement as soon as possible and headed to the northeast to kill the dwarves, then headed south, killed the human leader and then finished off the highmen in the southeast. Meanwhile, some of the prisoners I freed were exploring the prisons and dungeons looking for the second ring.

Looking forward to the results!!

posted 07-01-04 11:37 AM EDT (US)     9 / 17  
My goal was rather straightforward. I used my killer stack to cut a swath through the lands and kept them moving towards the next leader each turn. The elves went down first around turn 10 and then the Halflings and Humans followed. I sent a stack up towards the Dwarves over the water and had a weaker hero stack secure a city near the Highmen leader. After I drop kicked the dwarves into undeath I town gated and finished off the Highmen. I resubmitted right after though because I did a half hearted search of the nearby ruins (to the Highman capital) and found a ring. DOH!

Having not learned to break up my armies (I used most of my rescued undead to secure the main island and give myself a production base), I probably moved slower than Sprout who sounds like he shot right past a lot of the "diversions" that I fell for.

Hope everybody did well!

Peace...

Feyd Rautha
posted 07-01-04 09:39 PM EDT (US)     10 / 17  
Similar approach as Sprout, I cleaned out a few dungeons and had lots of fun with my Incarnate and wraith. I did quite a bit of wandering around wasting turns and ended up finishing on day 24 I think. Didn't have time to replay it and come in under 20 but I'm sure it's possible.

Sorry, don't see finishing in 10 days on this one.

posted 07-02-04 07:03 AM EDT (US)     11 / 17  
Ok, some results :

1. Sprout, 20 turns, 2 items
2. Enginerd, 24 turns, 1 item
3. Unicorn77, 43 turns, 2 items
4. Feyd Rautha, 48 turns, 1 item

Well done everyone, and congratulations to Sprout!

posted 07-02-04 12:27 PM EDT (US)     12 / 17  
I just CAN'T spread my resources thinner to progress faster. It's just not natural. Well, I can, but I just lose them all then.

Well done Sprout and Enginerd, and comiserations to Feyd Rautha - it was quite close, but I did manage a 40 day submission recently.

[This message has been edited by unicorn77 (edited 07-02-2004 @ 12:28 PM).]

posted 07-02-04 12:33 PM EDT (US)     13 / 17  
So yeah... I give up. I'll play in the other challenges I guess just because they're fun, but unless I just turn the cheat codes on I have no chance.

Reason... I went through the first time (non-submission), found everything, tracked the movements of the other nations, and marked where I needed to be to kill the leaders. Then I went through it as fast as I could.

Grats to the winners, but I just can't accept how they're doing that so fast.

Peace,

Feyd Rautha
posted 07-02-04 12:57 PM EDT (US)     14 / 17  
Oh... and as a side note I spaced on the whole "Warp Party" thing. I don't know that it's necessarially a big deal though since, as you can see, I suck!

Sorry for the mixup. Just an FYI, without Town Gate I would have had at least five more days!

*hangs head in shame*

Feyd Rautha
posted 07-02-04 04:26 PM EDT (US)     15 / 17  
Don't give up Feyd!

If it makes you happier, I can tell you that I would never have finsished this map in less than 40 turns either...

posted 07-02-04 07:03 PM EDT (US)     16 / 17  
Feyd,

Don't give up!

The first 5 turns are critical on this map are critical. Turn one you really need to use your doom priests to dominate at least the human hero in the town and if you can even more. The human hero and other troops rush towards the prison, other troops go around in a boat to the azrac 1-hex and then you head towards the lizard 2-hex with your main force. I can't remember if I looted the first couple cities or just razed them and cast the animate town spell. The builders can go to the underground through the teleporter where you build the builders guild a mine and 2-hex quickly for the cash, the other builders go for the 4 and 3-hex. I never went negative on money but it was close.

Your main stack will start to meet up with elves and you can rescue the incarnate in the prison. In one turn I wiped out about 30 elves because I managed to find a Nature Elemental and lots of non magic folks. The incarnate/NE had a blast and I went through a few creatures before I ended up possessing a very high level halfling hero. By day 10 the elf hero was dead (or just about dead) and I was starting to expand and explore. If I were playing it again I'd go back to this day 10 and make the precision strikes to where I found the leaders and I think it's quite possible to beat the 20 day score of Sprout (but then again, he probably could given another try at it too ).

In Summary the key things to do:
Animate towns, dominate with doom priests, rescue prisoners.

I'll send Feyd a copy of my day 4 or 5 so he can see where I was. This was a great monthly challenge Magog!!!! (Leaders Off next time).

posted 07-04-04 02:05 PM EDT (US)     17 / 17  
Aha! Now I know why my 40 day submission wasn't counted! After 5 days, I just got an undeliverable response.

And an observation on the strategy outlined by Enginerd. Yes, that is my strategy too, but it takes me twice as long as you! I had the reverse situation with a friend of mine who I kept beating - he asked me what my secret was and I tried to outline a strategy - which was his too! I think it must be all the little things that add up, most important of which is the ability to win battles v the AI and to get xp for your heros.

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » MC - June 2004, A Battle for Evermore
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames