Please login or register

AoW1 Technical Help
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoW on MAC
posted 06-11-11 03:32 PM EDT (US)   
Just, after much fiddling, got it to work! If anyone is interested I can upload the wrapper somewhere, then you can just pop the game inside.

There is a little foolery but all can be explained.

If anyone is interested let me know an I'll put a howto up.

ben.

Download here https://rapidshare.com/files/4293006703/Age_of_Wonders.zip

This is has been tested on several MACs, so SHOULD work on most. You will need to install AOW and patch it fully on windows first.

Level maker and AOWCGE also work within this wrapper, but more on that later.

INSTRUCTIONS

1) Download/unzip the wrapper.
2) Move the wrapper to your APPLICATIONS folder. The game will only work here.
3) Right click the wrapper, and select SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS
4) Double click on PROGRAM FILES (should be RED)
5) Now find your copy of AGE OF WONDERS, which you installed on windows. You will need to copy the TRIUMPH STUDIOS folder into PROGRAM FILES (so it should appear to be PROGRAM FILES/TRIUMPH STUDIOS/AGE OF WONDERS
6) Go back to the APPLICATIONS folder and double click on the AOW icon. This will cause some drivers to install, and then the game should run.
7) To access AOW editor, right click the AOW icon, and select PACKAGE CONTENTS. There will be links to the program there.

TROUBLESHOOTING

If the game asks you to insert the CD, there are two solutions.

1) Patch the game with a NOCD file in windows beforehand.
2) Access the package contents, go to the folder called CONTENTS, select CXExSettings. Go to the Advanced Settings tab, and go to WINE CONFIG. Find the Drives tab, and select "D:". Find "Path" below it and select BROWSE. You need to locate the Age of Wonders.app (It will be in the Applications folder). Go into Contents and select "cd". Click OK and that should be it.

To get DEV edit going, just manually copy the files into where Age of Wonders is installed within the wrapper as you would in windows. Just remember to backup the files and swap them out before play.

To get aowcge_v03a5 just drop it in Program Files like you did with Triumph Studios.

Please leave feedback, and ask any questions on the forum.

Ben

[This message has been edited by ben_danger (edited 06-24-2011 @ 05:01 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06-13-11 01:59 PM EDT (US)     1 / 14  
Yeah, I'm interested. Which MacOS are you running? I play running either Boot Camp or VMWare Fusion. I've tried CrossOver, but I couldn't get that to work. What did you use to get it to work?
posted 06-13-11 02:04 PM EDT (US)     2 / 14  
I'm on 10.5.8 (leopard). I used CXEx, and it worked straight away. Even the editor and Campaign editor/image exporter work.

I need to test it on my girlfriends mac, then I'll upload it. The engines should all be contained in the wrapper, but I've found that still doesn't always function.

I used to use VMware, it makes such a difference not having to!
posted 06-13-11 04:35 PM EDT (US)     3 / 14  
That's the same OS version I'm running. Eager to check it out!
posted 06-20-11 05:11 PM EDT (US)     4 / 14  
Just checking in to see if you've gotten anywhere with this. Shoot me an e-mail: ssnorth -at -gmail (dot)
posted 06-24-11 03:58 PM EDT (US)     5 / 14  
Just uploading it, so HOPEFULLY, it will be available soon!

- piss. its too large apparently. Uploaded it to here:

https://rapidshare.com/files/4293006703/Age_of_Wonders.zip

[This message has been edited by ben_danger (edited 06-24-2011 @ 05:00 PM).]

posted 06-29-11 03:06 PM EDT (US)     6 / 14  
I got it downloaded but haven't had time to try it, yet. I noticed in the release notes that online play doesn't work. Does that include LAN play?
posted 06-29-11 05:51 PM EDT (US)     7 / 14  
Ben - if the file is too large to upload to the site here then send me an email, I might be able to help you out so that we've got it in our downloads section.

enginerd at heavengames dot com

2009 1v1 Mapmaking Competition 1st Place MapBattle of Enioch
posted 06-30-11 10:15 AM EDT (US)     8 / 14  
I got it running on my Mac. I didn't put it directly under Applications, but instead nested it in a couple more directories, so I had to change the CD path setting in Wine. Your directions were spot on, though, and easy to follow.

The game started right up, but it was in a small window. Increasing the size of the window caused some display glitches on the main menu, but worked mostly in-game. I tried modifying the resolution size in the game's settings, but that didn't translate well. I might try changing my main OS resolution, and see how that affects the game.
posted 06-30-11 11:15 AM EDT (US)     9 / 14  
Thanks for testing it out! I never tested LAN play, as I am used to manually emailing PBEM games and never thought to try it. But I could give it a try sometime and see what happens.

Funny about the resolution thing - I never had that trouble. I always liked paying windowed so it could be stretched. The problem with Wineskin is that it needs to be tailored to each machine really, but the engine that I used for this one was the only one which wouldn't crash after the loading screen.
posted 06-30-11 03:21 PM EDT (US)     10 / 14  
I'm playing on a 15" MBP, but I have a 22" external LCD hooked up to it.

I also feel like the cursor behaves differently than the Windows side. I don't know if it's a sensitivity difference, but the Mac cursor doesn't feel as accurate to me.
posted 08-05-11 11:28 PM EDT (US)     11 / 14  
Is the wrapper made from some implementation of Wine?
I am a newcomer to AoW and have downloaded the 1.36 version from GoG.com. Since it is installed from the downloaded setup file, and doesn't need the CD, how should I make it work?
Also, is there a way to setup the game to run via Wine? I have Wine 1.3.25 installed on Mac OS X 10.6.8, does anyone have experience setting up AoW with it??
Thanks.
posted 09-26-11 05:20 AM EDT (US)     12 / 14  
I had it working with Crossover Games for Mac. AFAIK there were no special steps, just the usual creating a "bottle", running the installer there, then launching the game. Had to play in 800x600 though, otherwise the scrolling would be very choppy.
posted 10-05-11 03:18 PM EDT (US)     13 / 14  
Hi,

the wrapper is down on rapidshare. Could anyone reupload it or tell me any link where I can still get it? I would really appreciate it!

thx,
nofke
posted 11-03-11 08:29 PM EDT (US)     14 / 14  
The file is gone. I love this game! Ben, can you please put it back up?

Justin
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Technical Help » AoW on MAC
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames