Hall of Wonders - Role Playing & Creative Writing
Moderated by ChowGuy, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Keeper Recruitment for the Isle of Burbatak
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 11-15-02 00:38 AM EDT (US)   
Welcome, adventurers, to the restart of the Dragon Queen's Will quest! Due to the disappearance of some of our members, and the joining of one or a few others, we (two remaining players and I) have concluded that the Dragon Queen's Will quest should be restarted.

It is the year 1216 of Lord Inioch's Rule - were Lord Inioch still alive. A new star shines over the Valley of Wonders, and Princess Julia leads the Keepers against the Cult of Storms in attempt to restore peace. It is of the Gods' good grace that you have come!

You will be exploring the Isle of Burbatak, where all new wizards are trained! (You can view a map here. The Isle is labled and is northwest of the Valley of Wonders.)

But before you can join the Keepers, or ally with their number, you must provide these things...

1) Your name.

2) Your race. You may be a Keeper or another adventurer friendly to the Keepers. Your gender should also be noted.

Keeper Races: Elves, Halflings, Dwarves, Azracs, Lizardmen

Friendly Races: All of the above, plus anything else in AoW1

3) Physical description, etc.

4) Your skills; you should be low to middling in power. You can present these as a description of your character, as a character class, as an AoW hero of level 4-5, or as any combination thereof.

5) Clothing, equipment, etc. You should not have any magical items of artifact level (that is, would fit in your character's item slots on the game), but more standard magical items are fine.

I would also like some wizard characters to have been part of a party that is already on the isle. I can accept one of each Keeper race. These characters would be coming in a short ways into the story.

Now, all ye who hath joined us, thank thee, and onward, for Honor and Glory!

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign
Replies:
posted 11-15-02 02:39 AM EDT (US)     1 / 51  
Name:Thrain firebeard

Race: dwarf

Class: engineer/pyromaniac

Moral alignment: chaotic good

Rough aditude: a funny little dwarf who loves to see things go boom.

Rough appearance: a short dwarf with a long red beard and mideum length hair also red.

Major Non-magical items: dwarven chainmail, red dwarven cloak, large axe, dwarven tool kit, rubber goggles, thrains preciuos amulet, dwarfven bazooka.

abilitys: sabatoge, infravision, dig tunnels, repair equipment, minor creation, fireball,whirlwind

posted 11-15-02 02:36 PM EDT (US)     2 / 51  
Looks good, Zargen!

Give me some idea on what the Dwarven Bazooka can do, by the way.

posted 11-15-02 04:24 PM EDT (US)     3 / 51  
1) Skar

2) Lizard- Salamander

3) A tall lizard with golden-orange skin, signifying he is a Salamander. Has all the spines of a normal Lizard and also has Several scars across his face, tha largest one across his left eye(Ear to nose), rendering him blind. THis is how he got his nickname-Skar

4) Class: Salamander.
Has Fire strike, Fire breath, and Spell casting I. Cannot swim. He is very good with a sword, and can put fire energy into it. Has limited training in Fire magic,
Spells= Fireball, Flaming arrow, Call flames. Require Mana Chrystals. Fire breath doesn't require mana chrystals, just needs to be well fed.

5)A Sabre similar to Azrac weapons, a fireproof pouch containing several healing potions, and a few exploding potions. No Mana Chrystals. Also he has another flame proof pouch containing food.

Is that Ok? I could take off fire breath or spell casting if you think its too powerful.

posted 11-15-02 07:06 PM EDT (US)     4 / 51  
At level 5, you would have 15 skill points between healing and combat abilities associated therewith your fire abilities, so that works.

Of course, you may know Fireball but you can't cast it: it costs 20 mana, and the most that Spellcasting I allows you to use at once is 10.

Otherwise, looks like an interesting character!

posted 11-15-02 11:05 PM EDT (US)     5 / 51  
dwarven bazooka: fires a large projectile at were ever its facing takes a short amout of time to get ready.
posted 11-16-02 00:43 AM EDT (US)     6 / 51  
What kind of projectile? How fast? How accurately? And, once fired, how long does it take to reload?

If you're thinking Fire Cannon, I'd say that's too much. Fire Musket would be reasonable, especially if your other skills (like combat) were relatively meagre. If it's a glorified Hurl Stones, then that's fine, and give yourself some nice stats, too!

posted 11-16-02 00:45 AM EDT (US)     7 / 51  
ok how about every ones favorite thrains BOOMstick
posted 11-16-02 01:11 AM EDT (US)     8 / 51  
No... NOO! Anything but that! sorry... bad dream.

How about giving him a kind of a portable take-apart cannon that comes in many parts.

posted 11-16-02 01:13 AM EDT (US)     9 / 51  
NOOOO MY BOOMSTICK!

*hail to the king baby*

posted 11-16-02 01:49 AM EDT (US)     10 / 51  
Ok ok... the BOOMstick. While spelling Boomstick, does BOOM have to be in Capitals?
posted 11-16-02 01:53 AM EDT (US)     11 / 51  
yes it has to be BOOMstick! what fun in spelling BOOMstick without have a capital BOOM.
posted 11-21-02 10:32 PM EDT (US)     12 / 51  
are you guys still looking for adventurers or is it all over?

"Hello is there anybody in there. Just nod if you can hear me is there anyone at home?"
"Search my heart, O God, and find it pure."
posted 11-22-02 00:05 AM EDT (US)     13 / 51  
Still looking! Want to join?

posted 11-25-02 05:37 AM EDT (US)     14 / 51  
1) Xeno

2) Halfling

3) Small. Long, black hair.

4) Rogue. Good at backstabbing, climbing, swimming, forestry and concealing. Not strong, but agile.

5) Wears black robes, a dark green cloak, leather boots and gloves. Has lots'a daggers (for fighting and throwing).

And I begged, 'Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?'
And the angel said unto me, 'These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!'
posted 11-25-02 03:28 PM EDT (US)     15 / 51  
Glad to have ya! Is Xeno male or female?

posted 11-25-02 08:13 PM EDT (US)     16 / 51  
Ok, I will join too

1) Edrian

2) Male Elf

3) Slightly higher, heavier and stronger then an average elf, Green eyes and long blond hair.

4) Druid
Abilities: Entangle (shot range, can animate plants and make them grow very fast) Charm Animals, Forestry, Concealment, Parry, Staff Fighting, Healing, Shape shifting (can change into a Falcon, Wolf or Boar 2 times/day) and spell casting I
Spells: Lightning bolt, Chain lightning, Stoning, Solar flare, Summon Animal, Summon Insects, Entangle (Long Range), Remedy, Healing Water and Stone Skin.

5) Green Robe, Druid staff (Very strong staff that is "alive" and will regenerate if damaged, good for channeling and focusing spells) Bag with herbs and seeds. Knife

[This message has been edited by Kris Lighthawk (edited 12-09-2002 @ 02:58 PM).]

posted 11-25-02 08:37 PM EDT (US)     17 / 51  
Awl-wright.

So your spheres are 1 life, 1 air, 1 water, 2 earth? Normally, air and earth don't mix... but honestly, the only air you have is your lightning spells, and those could fit in any of the six elements.

So, is Eldarion a Keeper?

Glad to have ya!

Hey, CubanGeneral, ya still looking?

[This message has been edited by Beren V (edited 11-25-2002 @ 08:38 PM).]

posted 11-25-02 09:29 PM EDT (US)     18 / 51  
I triumphed against the dark forces of the Curfew Masters, so I can rejoin. I'm not going to reuse Alexander, though. Is this character OK, Beren?

1) Coran the Raven

2) Male Human

3) Tall (6'5") and very thin. He has shoulder-length, sleek black hair that looks oddly like the feathers of a raven. Very sharp, bright blue eyes. He can appear quite intimidating when he is wearing his robes and cloak. Very angular features. He has a very pale complexion.

4) Average in strength and endurance, though he is agile. He has good resistance. His powers give him particular resistance to Death and Lightning-based attacks. He can cast Black Bolts in battle. He is fearless. He can see through illusions. In melee, he can charge his attacks with lightning energy and has a chance to stun enemies for a short time. He can cast spells, and Turn Undead particularly well. If this is a 7-sphere system, he has 4 Air and 3 Death spheres. His spellbook currently contains:

Enchant Weapon
Dispel Magic
Chain Lightning
Haste
Cold Breath
Bird's View
Death Ray
Animate Dead
Dark Gift

NOTE: Without a Power Node to bind the spells to, all of Coran's spells are Combat-Only. If they aren't one-shot in the first place, they last for only fifteen minutes. Of course, if we find some Mana crystals or a Power Node or something, he can make permanent enchantments.

He can also shapeshift into a raven. He cannot fight in this form, he uses it for scouting only. He is very fast and can fly very high in this form. Any of his foes who look him straight in the eyes when he is in raven form may become panicked.

5) Coran is never seen without his dark grey cloak. He commonly has the hood pulled up as well, so all anyone can see of him is the tip of his nose and chin. This cloak is strange, as it shapeshifts along with him when he transforms into a raven, but it has no protective magicks. He carries a staff that is four inches taller than he is, made of a very long, pretty straight branch of ash. Coran always wears a dark grey tunic, the same color as his cloak. He carries his spellbook and other things in various pockets in this tunic. He can enchant the staff with Dark Gift and Enchant Weapon, but he tries to avoid direct battle.

Bio: Coran was a Necromancer. He was steadily gaining power, growing so strong and evil that the Keepers sent a Keeper Life Mage to stop him. At the time, he was preparing to unleash a war of conquest, fueled by his dark magicks, and try to overthrow Joseph and take over the Humans. The Keeper found him and engaged him in a duel of wizardry, and they fought with all of their magical firepower, but in the end the Keeper won. Instead of killing Coran, though, he took pity on the defeated Mage and showed mercy. The Keeper gave Coran a powerfully enchanted staff and a chance to redeem himself. The staff has weakened Coran's magical powers, returning him to the lowest levels of wizardry. He spent much time in introspection and meditation, and eventually turned from the dark path and became an ally of the Keepers. He is very wise and intelligent, usually quiet unless he has advice to give. He has learned magic of the Air sphere, but even he does not know why he has gained the ability to shapeshift into a raven. He finds a poetic justice in using the Death sphere against evil beings, but has learned to Turn Undead to safeguard against enemy Necromancers.

[This message has been edited by Emperor_Bone14 (edited 12-10-2002 @ 03:34 PM).]

posted 11-25-02 10:08 PM EDT (US)     19 / 51  
Is the staff a curse or anti-death magic?
posted 11-26-02 00:57 AM EDT (US)     20 / 51  
quote:I triumphed against the dark forces of the Curfew Masters.

rofl thats a nice way to put it.

posted 11-26-02 01:47 AM EDT (US)     21 / 51  
*Fires up the AoW Editor*

Given that you're describing your abilities in actual AoW terms,

Lessee... +1 Resistance - 5 SP
Poison Protection - 5 SP
Death Protection - 5 SP
Lightning Protection - 5 SP
Fearless - 5 SP
True Seeing - 10 SP
Some level of spellcasting - 20+ SP

Black Bolts and Lightning Bolts. They're not normally available, but I would say that each is probably similar to Call Flames, which is 10 SP. Turning into a raven... Iill call that a spell.

So he has, at present, 75 SP worth of abilities at a minimum, which implies a level 6 hero. I wanted level 4-5, however (although the party would pick up a level or three over the course of the adventure).

Having said that, I like your biography. I might suggest taking out the two Bolts abilities and putting in Magic Bolts instead, since the way that I view Magic Bolts is casting spells that are of variable (and choosable) element, but that versataility comes with the price of being unable to exert the full power of the element (shock or curse, in this case), and can be resisted by creatures immune to such variable magic (what the Magic Protection and Immunity abilities actually are).

Welcome back, EB!

[This message has been edited by Beren V (edited 11-26-2002 @ 01:48 AM).]

posted 11-26-02 03:59 AM EDT (US)     22 / 51  
Oh... male.
posted 11-26-02 05:40 AM EDT (US)     23 / 51  
Yes Edrian (not Eldarion) is a Keeper

As for spells I just picked spells that I found would fit well with a druid (aow druid units has lightning bolts as an ability, but I decided to make it a spell) but in aow you can learn spells from outside your spheres anyway (wizard towers).

I may have made Edrian a little too strong, so I have removed swimming.

Kris

[This message has been edited by Kris Lighthawk (edited 11-26-2002 @ 05:40 AM).]

posted 11-26-02 04:58 PM EDT (US)     24 / 51  

Quoted from Kris Lighthawk:

Edrian (not Eldarion)

I've been thinking too much about Tolkien lately!

As for spells I just picked spells that I found would fit well with a druid (aow druid units has lightning bolts as an ability, but I decided to make it a spell) but in aow you can learn spells from outside your spheres anyway (wizard towers).

Makes perfect sense. I was going to let you get away with it anyway, given that you are a druid, and, as you say, druids have both Lightning Bolts and Entangle.

I may have made Edrian a little too strong, so I have removed swimming.

I actually picture Elves as being quite good swimmers if they're not carrying large amounts of metal (especially armor). I would actually assume you would be able to swim at least somewhat!

posted 11-26-02 05:01 PM EDT (US)     25 / 51  
It looks like we have five so far. When we get another one or two, it will probably be time to kick-off (though more are welcom)

posted 11-27-02 01:18 AM EDT (US)     26 / 51  
wha lvl whould i be?
posted 11-27-02 02:35 PM EDT (US)     27 / 51  

Quoted from zargen rathblade:

wha lvl whould i be?

Based on the skills you gave me, you would be at a minimum of first; however, that's assuming no combat bonuses whatsoever, and also:

Quoted from Beren V:

4) Your skills; you should be low to middling in power. You can present these as a description of your character, as a character class, as an AoW hero of level 4-5, or as any combination thereof.

...so it's not really important. I just want to make sure that nobody is a demigod, and nobody is a weakling either.

posted 11-27-02 03:51 PM EDT (US)     28 / 51  
Coran doesn't have Poison Protection, I just meant that he had a good resistance. He has 5 resistance. Is it okay if I give him Lightning Strike instead of Lightning Bolts? Otherwise he won't stand even a remote chance in melee.
posted 11-28-02 04:22 AM EDT (US)     29 / 51  
karmic, male Elf
class: ranger
Tall, fair-haired, kinda slender.
Skills: archery, swimming, concealment, entangle, marksmanship ii, forestry
good resistance and attack, lower damage and defence
Equipment: a light-green cloak, longbow, a bunch of arrows, a shortsword, leather armor, backpack, some lembas.

[This message has been edited by karmic (edited 11-28-2002 @ 04:28 AM).]

posted 11-28-02 10:32 PM EDT (US)     30 / 51  
hey karmic youve finally joined us.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » Hall of Wonders - Role Playing & Creative Writing » Keeper Recruitment for the Isle of Burbatak
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames