Please login or register

AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Nice editor pic
posted 04-04-02 04:00 PM EDT (US)   

I like the way the hexes are split which should enable more accurate placement of objects.

Also a nice sneak preview of available city upgrades

Crash

Replies:
posted 04-04-02 04:06 PM EDT (US)     1 / 24  
It sure looks nice. Wonder what kind of computer that was run on? (Framrate: 35)

Anyone have any info on how to build the map mesh?

"So show the world you're strong
The weaker one is wrong
And I know it won't take long
Until they're dead and gone"
posted 04-04-02 05:08 PM EDT (US)     2 / 24  
Noce pic! Haven't seen it, yet.

This other hex/construction picture also has a sneak peak at the 6 different elemental nodes.

About Sir Crashalot's picture:
Very interesting. Now, lets compare it with this probably older shot:

and: voila!
We (almost) got the whole list!

I wonder if that little square on the extreme left lets you deselect certain structures. Like for example, if you want no T.. eh.. I mean, for example if you want no Temple complexes possible in that place. You just touch that square.
Now, if only it would be possible to just deselect a certain shrine type...

Swolte

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 04-04-2002 @ 05:10 PM).]

posted 04-04-02 07:23 PM EDT (US)     3 / 24  
I think the checkboxes determine what upgrades are already built there. That's more obvious than your wishful thinking of no Tele... err, Temple complexes. But maybe a second click will gray the corresponding upgrade out, so that building cannot be built in that city. Let's hope they have something for that.

[This message has been edited by Iznoghoud (edited 04-04-2002 @ 07:24 PM).]

posted 04-04-02 07:55 PM EDT (US)     4 / 24  
I hope there is a button that checks everything.
Because judjing by the scrollbar thats a long list.
posted 04-04-02 08:21 PM EDT (US)     5 / 24  
I was wondering if certain buildings will allow things like:
all troops start out as veterans (or at least lvl 1&2), or soldiers all equiped with magic weapons - e.g. magic strike

[This message has been edited by parrotfish (edited 04-07-2002 @ 01:45 PM).]

posted 04-05-02 02:25 AM EDT (US)     6 / 24  

Quoted from dlang:

I hope there is a button that checks everything.
Because judjing by the scrollbar thats a long list.

Maybe there shouldn't be such a button, because mapmakers otherwise would be too encouraged to literally litter the map with fully upgraded cities. Well, actually it shouldn't be the button that determines that. I agree a button for this would be nice.

Parrotfish: I read somewhere that with the Hall of Enchantment you can give your troops magical enchantments, so to your second question: yes.

"I wanna be Sultan instead of the Sultan!" - Grand Vizier Iznoghoud, 2nd and honoured member of the BTOOIC (Buildable Teleporters Off Option in Cities)
Admin of the BTOOIC site and forum.
posted 04-05-02 05:28 AM EDT (US)     7 / 24  
And there's no such button Iznoghoud
posted 04-05-02 05:36 AM EDT (US)     8 / 24  
Can you make a template city if you want more than one city to have the same start conditions? Or maybe copy a existing city to a new location?
posted 04-05-02 05:47 AM EDT (US)     9 / 24  
Yes, you can cut, copy, or paste almost anything in the editor!
posted 04-05-02 06:22 AM EDT (US)     10 / 24  
Very very very cool!
But what about the disable certain buildings thing, like disable Tel.... uhhh Temples?

"I wanna be Sultan instead of the Sultan!" - Grand Vizier Iznoghoud, 2nd and honoured member of the BTOOIC (Buildable Teleporters Off Option in Cities)
posted 04-05-02 06:31 AM EDT (US)     11 / 24  
Yes, please tell, tell, tell pleaheasssssssss...

*oeps*

posted 04-05-02 08:25 AM EDT (US)     12 / 24  
That's topsecret information

[This message has been edited by Arnout (edited 04-05-2002 @ 08:25 AM).]

posted 04-05-02 08:56 AM EDT (US)     13 / 24  
From looking at the pics,I`d say that there isnt (or at least wasnt) a way to exclude buildings.This may have been changed though.

From looking at the pics I`d guess that creating a map could take up to five times as long as in AoW1.

I like the way that buildings can now be placed on elevated terrain(or at least teleporters),would it be possible to place a town/city on a hill which has steep slopes all round thereby creating a fortress?

Crash

Also..Arnout in designing your maps,did you take any inspiration from any of the excellent custom maps that have appeared for AoW?

[This message has been edited by Sir Crashalot (edited 04-05-2002 @ 08:59 AM).]

posted 04-05-02 09:05 AM EDT (US)     14 / 24  
Arnout,
you can hopefully tell us:
Is there a wood or mountain creation tool or do we have to put each single tree so that a small wood takes 5 minutes again?

[This message has been edited by Andalakus (edited 04-05-2002 @ 09:06 AM).]

posted 04-05-02 09:08 AM EDT (US)     15 / 24  
There is a forest tool that places a mixed randomized set of trees.So it isnt that bad.

Crash

I hope there wont be too many custom scenarios submitted by players that have been created by the random map generator and just altered slightly.

[This message has been edited by Sir Crashalot (edited 04-05-2002 @ 09:10 AM).]

posted 04-05-02 09:30 AM EDT (US)     16 / 24  
Yep, in the editor had a set of brushes for wood, stones etc. So you don't have to edit every single tree

Mountains - being large - have to edited singely.

posted 04-05-02 09:36 AM EDT (US)     17 / 24  

Quoted from Sir Crashalot:

I hope there wont be too many custom scenarios submitted by players that have been created by the random map generator and just altered slightly.

Well, in the beginning, I will be making a lot of them, and alter them for my gameplay tastes, but at least I won't be flooding the web with them.

But suppose someone creates a random map so he won't have to spend much time with placing details on the map, and then radically alters it, new/different cities, extra land here, extra water there. It was a random map, but if the mapmaker has radically altered it, and given it a nice touch of story and RPG, I think we shouldn't have prejudices towards a map like that. I don't know if randomly generated maps forever get a tag by the editor, even if they are changed... Devs, what's the word on this?

[This message has been edited by Iznoghoud (edited 04-05-2002 @ 09:37 AM).]

posted 04-05-02 09:41 AM EDT (US)     18 / 24  
You will be able to change stuff in generated maps, they told us earlier.

I wonder though what choices you can set before you generate a map , like "forest 50%, desert, 40%, wasteland 10%" etc. Or will it be more like in Civ where you just choose size and amount of water...

posted 04-05-02 09:46 AM EDT (US)     19 / 24  
I know you can change stuff in random maps, but I want to know if a randomly generated map gets a tag, so everyone can easily see that it was randomly generated, even after it's altered.

posted 04-05-02 01:37 PM EDT (US)     20 / 24  
Now THAT is a good idea! But I guess you can just copy/paste the random map into an empty map to get around it...
posted 04-05-02 01:56 PM EDT (US)     21 / 24  
Yes, someone will make a hack to get around a tag saved with the map. Its a difficult problem, how do you prevent the map section from being flooded with people's random maps, but also allow people to make fun maps even if they are originally based on a random map?

posted 04-05-02 02:29 PM EDT (US)     22 / 24  
Well, you can always hope that people wont be stupid enough to post random generated maps...
But it should still be tagged in some way I think...

Or how about a section where you CAN upload generated maps? I mean, some of them might be so good you want to share them?!

posted 04-05-02 02:39 PM EDT (US)     23 / 24  
Thats a good idea, everyone who has a generated map to share, whether it's altered or not should tell that their map was based on a random map. Namely, I don't think that the devs are going to tag random maps.

[This message has been edited by Iznoghoud (edited 04-05-2002 @ 02:40 PM).]

posted 04-05-02 07:23 PM EDT (US)     24 / 24  
Strangest thing I've noticed is that if you created and properly balanced your own map, you inevitably become a competent player. It's like you now know the ins and outs of the different races and thus know how to use each one, in terms of individual battles as well as the "bigger picture"........It is probably the most effective way of becoming good at this game.....

BLOODYBATTLEBRAIN, last of the Azrac warriors.
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies » Nice editor pic
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames