Please login or register

AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Next IGN wizard list is up
posted 03-28-02 06:49 AM EDT (US)   
Just dropping you all a line, I poked at IGN a few minutes ago and it looks like they've put up the three new wizards for this week. It's tasty.

One thing I noticed about the screen shots...maybe I've just missed it before, but it looks like the map is zoomable...the shot of the Halfling wizard guy's tower looks zoomed out, in comparison to the others, and all the other ones I've remembered seeing. Am I hallucinating? Have I just missed this feature before? (I'm sure this has been discussed before, but it's late, cut me some slack.)

Also on halflings...I remember a few posts about halflings costing more, but being better at trading and farming (more income?) That is all but spelled out in the description of the third wizard. Good fun!

Now commence discussion of the new shinies. Go on.

Replies:
posted 03-28-02 06:55 AM EDT (US)     1 / 35  
Here's the link: AoW2: Behind the Magic #2

Josh said somewhere that the map is indeed zoomable.

Can't find the thread though.

"I wanna be Sultan instead of the Sultan!" - Grand Vizier Iznoghoud, 2nd and honoured member of the BTOOIC (Buildable Teleporters Off Option in Cities)
Admin of the BTOOIC site and forum.

[This message has been edited by Iznoghoud (edited 03-28-2002 @ 07:02 AM).]

posted 03-28-02 07:03 AM EDT (US)     2 / 35  
Good, then I just haven't been paying attention...Thanks!

Nifty stuff, if you ask me. Every new screen I see makes me more eager for this game. I can't wait. I just hope our guesses are right about an Easter demo release date...

P.S. Thanks for posting the link. Chalk that up to it being 5am here.

[This message has been edited by Undine (edited 03-28-2002 @ 07:05 AM).]

posted 03-28-02 07:11 AM EDT (US)     3 / 35  
Swolte said he deduced that from the word "Mietpaasers" meaning "With Easter" according to him. But in the About sikbok thread, it is used to call names, so I started worrying about the date of the demo. But swolte says he's still sure of the Easter release date...

Quoted from Undine:

P.S. Thanks for posting the link. Chalk that up to it being 5am here.

No problem, you're welcome. It's 13:00 here, and I've had a good sleep, so I'm all awake and ever vigilant

Edit: I found the thread with the zooming thing, Observer Mode thread. Look for Josh's second post. See how vigilant I am?

"I wanna be Sultan instead of the Sultan!" - Grand Vizier Iznoghoud, 2nd and honoured member of the BTOOIC (Buildable Teleporters Off Option in Cities)

[This message has been edited by Iznoghoud (edited 03-28-2002 @ 07:19 AM).]

posted 03-28-02 07:21 AM EDT (US)     4 / 35  
That Marinus screenshot looks nice. Maybe AoW2 will be the first game in history with a USEFUL zoom feature...

Quote:

Every new screen I see makes me more eager for this game

I know that feeling....

posted 03-28-02 07:21 AM EDT (US)     5 / 35  
Sleep is nice. Must do homework so my professor doesn't fail me though. Then sleep. Maybe tommorow.

I remember reading that stuff in the SikBok thread...I'll just quietly spend the next 4 days preparing to cast the "Summon AOW2 beta demo" spell and hope that works.

Edit: Damn that is vigilant. That was fast...

[This message has been edited by Undine (edited 03-28-2002 @ 07:22 AM).]

posted 03-28-02 08:53 AM EDT (US)     6 / 35  
I deduce from that that the "Summon AoW2 Beta Demo" spell costs 200 mana to cast. Have you got enough Power Nodes to gather the mana for the spell, AND pay the mana upkeep?

posted 03-28-02 09:11 AM EDT (US)     7 / 35  
I know I scraped enough mana together to cast the damn spell, but you're right, I don't know if I can pay the upkeep. I'll send a goblin hero (my roomate) to secure the science building. I'm sure they have to have mana nodes there. Or maybe the library. Or something.
It'd be a shame if it got unsummoned after just one day...that'd almost be worse than not having it at all. Almost.

*Undine Dominates some Campus Hippies and sends them to search the wilderness for power nodes*

(Can you tell I'm running on sleep dep and coffee yet?)

posted 03-28-02 09:47 AM EDT (US)     8 / 35  
LOL

My guess is that the devs are not working with Easter, so maybe we'll get the demo monday, or tuesday. Or they already have the demo lying around on their disks for days, and are just gonna post it with Easter... I need that demo, and it better keep me busy for a little while, even if I have to play it over and over again. But at least let me pick different sides of the scenario we get to play. Btw, how many scenarios were there in the AoW1 demo? One campaign and one normal scenario?

[This message has been edited by Iznoghoud (edited 03-28-2002 @ 09:48 AM).]

posted 03-28-02 10:02 AM EDT (US)     9 / 35  
If it's like the AoW demo, it'll keep you busy for a few days at least. I played the hell out of the first one.

If memory serves (and goddess only knows if it actually does at this point in my day *he says as he hooks up the espresso IV drip*) the demo came with only one map, and it was skirmish (re: not part of the single player scenario), but it had 4 playable races, and had a fully enabled multiplayer component. I played it through with each race, and played several games with friends, all of us taking our turns with the differnet races in multi. The map also had lots of unique features to encourage this (a colluseum (sp?) training place near the orcs, Druids and life nodes near the elves, goblins starting underground, etc), so we got to find new features each time we picked a new side.

Anyone else out there remember if there was more with the original demo? Any ideas on what goes with the new one? (and not a map editor, we know this)

Edit: Oh, and one other thing I do remember: There were no 4 hex cities on the demo map. We knew there was one more unit we couldn't build (that empty space...) but it was one of those "Buy the full version!" things.

[This message has been edited by Undine (edited 03-28-2002 @ 10:05 AM).]

posted 03-28-02 10:15 AM EDT (US)     10 / 35  

Quoted from Undine:

If it's like the AoW demo, it'll keep you busy for a few days at least. I played the hell out of the first one.

Thanks for the info. I sure hope there will be lots of the spells and stuff you can do in the real game. Replay value will probably be high, that's always nice.

posted 03-28-02 10:39 AM EDT (US)     11 / 35  
The IGN pages aren't coming up for me. I can see text, but no pics.
posted 03-28-02 10:41 AM EDT (US)     12 / 35  
Is anyone like me and Draco and unable to see a single picture on IGN right now? *rargh I want pictures!*
posted 03-28-02 11:08 AM EDT (US)     13 / 35  
I don't have any problems.
If you mean screenshots, you're only allowed to watch 5 of them unless you're a member at IGN.
posted 03-28-02 01:42 PM EDT (US)     14 / 35  
Yeah, but non-members can pull it up at least once. I can't get any graphics (even nav bar graphics) to appear.
posted 03-28-02 01:47 PM EDT (US)     15 / 35  
Strange. Everything, even the graphics work just fine with me.

posted 03-28-02 02:25 PM EDT (US)     16 / 35  
Let's see if this works...It's Nimue by the way.

posted 03-28-02 02:27 PM EDT (US)     17 / 35  
Here's Fabio...er...Marinus...

posted 03-28-02 02:29 PM EDT (US)     18 / 35  
And here's seriously scary Arachna...

posted 03-28-02 02:35 PM EDT (US)     19 / 35  
Hey, how did you get those pictures?

posted 03-28-02 04:13 PM EDT (US)     20 / 35  

Quoted from Iznoghoud:

Hey, how did you get those pictures?

I'm assuming he just copied the URL of the pictures, I'd post up the actual game screenies but I've maxed out my five veiws... grrr...
posted 03-28-02 04:44 PM EDT (US)     21 / 35  
Let me do it for you..

Zooming has been known for a long time, and you can zoom with the mouse-wheel also.

(mmm another rainbow, what is it for?)

posted 03-28-02 04:47 PM EDT (US)     22 / 35  
Damn it's too big!
posted 03-28-02 05:41 PM EDT (US)     23 / 35  

Quoted from Kylir:

mmm another rainbow, what is it for?

I think it comes naturally with that tree it's shining on... So that must be a special location. What would this be? It's not a spring of life, since there is no water there.

And with "Hey, how did you get those pictures?" I meant how he got them in a bigger size, I hadn't seen the lower half of them. Maybe I should have clicked on them... Could it be that? No, that would be soooo illogical.

posted 03-28-02 06:25 PM EDT (US)     24 / 35  
Would be nice if the rainbow is naturally, i would us it definitly in my map!

But what is this building in the northern wood?
It could be just some ruin, but it looks a bit... undead to me. Reminds me of that Hom&M3 building where you recruited wraith.

posted 03-28-02 07:05 PM EDT (US)     25 / 35  
Yah...I just IMG linked to the clickthrough images on the front page for IGN.

I wonder if Nimue's picture is going to increase the ESRB rating on AOWII...animated blood/violence and kelp-obscured mermaids.

-revalos

posted 03-28-02 07:25 PM EDT (US)     26 / 35  
tactically placed bits of seaweed.......
grrrrrrrrr..........

Has anyone else noticed the "trade" option there. At the pictures at ign, look at the one with Arachna as the god in a city. There are four options/tabs it seems:
-race relations
-treaties
-something else (I forget what)
-trade

You can trade stuff now? Trade what? Resources? If so what are all the resources...gold and mana obviously......is there a surprise resource....can you trade spells (now that could spice things up a little)

Have I missed a discussion on this?

EDIT:I forgot to ask...The guy/girl who writes about the wizards....S/he mentioned something along tohe lines of each God had a race.......Someone explain...clarify......

And I should be saying wizard, as opposed to God right?

[This message has been edited by BLOODYBATTLEBRAIN (edited 03-28-2002 @ 08:35 PM).]

posted 03-28-02 07:31 PM EDT (US)     27 / 35  
Yes!!!!
It was always one of my wishes to trade spells.
I wonder if you can trade units or even HEROES.

[This message has been edited by Andalakus (edited 03-28-2002 @ 07:32 PM).]

posted 03-28-02 09:01 PM EDT (US)     28 / 35  
So, Nimue is the default Wizard for the Humans? Why would the Humans, who have embraced air travel with their Air Galley, have a wizard who is master of the sea? Wouldn't that be more akin to a race that was known for its seamanship? Like the Minnotaur race?

On a seperate note, that "Spider Hat" sure looks creepy! Looks kind of like a "Borg" from Star Trek.

posted 03-28-02 09:10 PM EDT (US)     29 / 35  
Anyone knows what means the "Reputation Average" description in the Nimue's screenshot?
posted 03-28-02 09:21 PM EDT (US)     30 / 35  
so many questions spawned........and chance of any answers...these shots make me salivate.....

BLOODYBATTLEBRAIN, last of the Azrac warriors.
posted 03-28-02 09:52 PM EDT (US)     31 / 35  
With these wizard portraits coming along, I don't like their names that much. Some are nice, others not.
The ones I don't like too much are a bit too normal, like:
Arachna: has something to do with "spider", so ofcourse this is not a nice lady.

Artica: of course has something to do with "ice" (artica), so she lives in iceland.
Ah well, it doesn't matter that much and ahhh never mind...

posted 03-30-02 08:04 AM EDT (US)     32 / 35  
Any ideas on that creature guarding that node?
click here

It sure is the most beautifull landscape I've seen in any turn based strategy game!

ps: Everyone noticed that undead black knight in the left corner?

posted 03-30-02 09:01 AM EDT (US)     33 / 35  

Quote:

Any ideas on that creature guarding that node?

Most likely an Air elemental.

posted 03-30-02 11:39 AM EDT (US)     34 / 35  
> Arachna: has something to do with "spider", so ofcourse this is not a nice lady.

> Artica: of course has something to do with "ice" (artica), so she lives in iceland.

What about Nimue as Enchntress of the Water. Now does that portend well for our young Merlin?

posted 03-30-02 03:41 PM EDT (US)     35 / 35  
I agree. The names they have come up with are questionable. They are either uncreative like Arachna and Artica you just mentioned, or they pillage other legends like Merlin and Nimue, causing Game Environment Schizophrenia. What's next? An air spirit named Pneumata? A villian named Mordred? A wizard named David Copperfield? Harry Potter?

Ohhh well, if the gameplay is as good as I think it will be, I'll just live with it.

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies » Next IGN wizard list is up
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames