AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Countdown Begins - Wizards Profiled at PC IGN.com
posted 03-21-02 01:19 AM EDT (US)   
AoW2: Behind the Magic #1

Yaka, Artica and Fangir are featured this week. Nice screenshot with Yaka, looks like a summoned Phoenix!

If you want to try and read the two Italian previews, use Altavista's translator: http://babel.altavista.com/.

Check the radio button next to "Web Page" and copy the URL of the site you want transalted into the box, and select "Italian to English" from the drop-down menu. Worked good for me!

[This message has been edited by Angel Draco (edited 03-21-2002 @ 01:33 AM).]

Replies:
posted 03-21-02 04:00 AM EDT (US)     1 / 29  
Yes, allright! you found it! argh! The phoenix was let loose in the world. It has a special flamebroil attack that you can actually SMELL during the game. really
posted 03-21-02 09:22 AM EDT (US)     2 / 29  
I like the quote from IGN that says... "As they go GOLD..."

Could this mean a beta could be as soon as beginning of April?

PLEASE LORD LET IT BE!

posted 03-21-02 09:58 AM EDT (US)     3 / 29  

Quoted from translated Italian article:

...predominion of those lands; the objective of Merlin is that one to re-unite the spheres and to become the dominating incontrastato one of the Age of Wonders. If said how much makes you to return to the Dragonball mind and its seven spheres, you do not have all the cakes, but you know that...

Interesting...

Great phoenix! Regeneratable I presume?

Swolte

posted 03-21-02 10:52 AM EDT (US)     4 / 29  

Quoted from pc.ign.com:

Artica gets to live in the land of the snow, just like Canadians.

Well, being a Canadian, and thus used to living in snow, maybe I can help Artica with her solitude problem... she's a cutie, even if a little on the pasty-white side.

Cay
CayMack on Xbox LIVE, PlayStation Network, and Steam. CayMack#1436 on BattleNet.
Visit: TrueAchievements|TrueTrophies
posted 03-21-02 10:57 AM EDT (US)     5 / 29  
Wow the land of the snow! Cool! WOW! remind me to send you a postcard from the beach next to my parents house in Italy this summer and one frome the Cote d'Azur next month full of half naked babes... Maybe you can send me one with the merry snowman you are making

I think I'll go for the red lady myself... (the yummy redehead hottie with the leg showing as she walks).

[This message has been edited by Black Knight (edited 03-21-2002 @ 11:01 AM).]

posted 03-21-02 11:53 AM EDT (US)     6 / 29  
The making of a merry snowman, the Swedish method:

Step 1. Go skiing (telemark style) with a friend. Photo
Step 2. Make sure there's a lot of snow, more than he can handle. Photo
Step 3. The merry snowman suddenly appears. Photo

Are we off topic yet?

[This message has been edited by Nojd (edited 03-21-2002 @ 11:55 AM).]

posted 03-21-02 01:38 PM EDT (US)     7 / 29  
It's funny to discover that the Azracs haven't been worshipping a god, but "just a circle of Evermore Wizard". Yaka had them fooled quite nicely. I guess that most of you already knew that, I'm probably late on this one.

"I wanna be Sultan instead of the Sultan!" - Grand Vizier Iznoghoud, 2nd and honoured member of the BTOOIC (Buildable Teleporters Off Option in Cities)
Admin of the BTOOIC site and forum.
posted 03-21-02 03:40 PM EDT (US)     8 / 29  
Ignodhouz(Iggy): Hey, I'm glad people are picking up on this. I thought it was a fun twist. The fear was that most people wouldn't catch it, so I was consigned to hinting at a lot of what Yaka did to the Azracs to punish them for not conquering like he expected them to... ;-)

I think it comes out quite well in the campaign though, it's one of those nice things that goes to those who have stuck with the game since the beginning...

--Ray

posted 03-21-02 04:42 PM EDT (US)     9 / 29  
In AoW1 the Azracs believe that Yaka could not have "set foot on the world" because it would have melted away. So Yaka must have never showed himself to the Azracs, only his magic. But in AoW2 he's just gonna be walking around (and sitting in a wizard tower), showing everybody: "Here I am!" Why doesn't he also let his other followers think he's a god? But I like the twist anyway. And I suppose the Azracs have found out Yaka's little secret? Are the remaining Azracs going to help the player kill Yaka for revenge? Or are they still devoted to him, even after their punishment?

"I wanna be Sultan instead of the Sultan!" - Grand Vizier Iznoghoud, 2nd and honoured member of the BTOOIC (Buildable Teleporters Off Option in Cities)

[This message has been edited by Iznoghoud (edited 03-21-2002 @ 04:44 PM).]

posted 03-21-02 05:34 PM EDT (US)     10 / 29  
Why he is upon the world, should become clear through the course of the game, as should the reason that all wizards are there...

--Ray

PS. I blame Julia...

posted 03-21-02 07:50 PM EDT (US)     11 / 29  
Here in Saskatchewan we have snow 6 months of the year (or we used, no thanks to global warming). Maybe.. *cough* ..Artica could come my way, *ahem*

where we don't need to call in the army to help dig us out after a snowstorm

posted 03-21-02 09:22 PM EDT (US)     12 / 29  
Mmmm btw that first shot about Yaka is not correct, is it?

All I see is Anon the Wizard, no Yaka! except for all the fire, so maybe he is there but he's hiding? or he is not in human form...
mmm Yaka where are you...

posted 03-21-02 10:07 PM EDT (US)     13 / 29  

Quoted from Newsboy555:

...where we don't need to call in the army to help dig us out after a snowstorm

Hey... that was one H--- of a snowstorm!

Cay
CayMack on Xbox LIVE, PlayStation Network, and Steam. CayMack#1436 on BattleNet.
Visit: TrueAchievements|TrueTrophies
posted 03-22-02 08:29 AM EDT (US)     14 / 29  

Quote:

PS. I blame Julia...

For what? So Julia did something that made Yaka punish the Azracs... Now I'm confused. *Tries to think of what it could be and bangs his head against the wall*

We'll see when the game is finished...

posted 03-22-02 11:06 AM EDT (US)     15 / 29  
Try not to think too hard on that one Ig... *grins innocently*
posted 03-22-02 11:14 AM EDT (US)     16 / 29  
Things often get complicated when women get involved.

Swolte

posted 03-22-02 11:20 AM EDT (US)     17 / 29  
*looks around guiltily for his wife*

*nod nod at Swolte*

posted 03-22-02 11:40 AM EDT (US)     18 / 29  
Julia managed to reunite the Elven Empire. Because of that the Azracs couldn't conquer the Blessed Continend and Yaka got really angry and punished them. Or at least that's my theory.

Lord Dragatus, 30th member of BTOOIC, The One Who Killed the Cow.
posted 03-22-02 12:26 PM EDT (US)     19 / 29  

Quoted from Blackmane:

Try not to think too hard on that one Ig... *grins innocently*

Oops, didn't think about that... I'm not as obsessed with that as you are obviously.

But seriously, Lord Dragatus' explanation seems much more likely than Blackmane's, because Yaka doesn't show himself to normal earth walking people, like Julia. At least that was the case in AoW1, don't know if Julia is still a "normal" earth walking person AoW2 or more like as important as circle of evermore wizards. Or even one of them.

[This message has been edited by Iznoghoud (edited 03-22-2002 @ 12:30 PM).]

posted 03-22-02 03:05 PM EDT (US)     20 / 29  
hey at least we managed to invade the continent. And we would have kept ourselves very nicely. It strikes me as strange that as the humans were the ones who kicked azrac arse, as far a the story is concerned, but are now being hunted by the elves, then surely that would give the azracs free reign. Because the only other significant faction was the orcs, who happen to be mincemeat for azrac scimitars. And besides, if Yaka had given us a little help, with his fire, we could have burnt those bloody airships.....

Yaka not being a god does help though....

BLOODYBATTLEBRAIN, last of the Azrac warriors.
posted 03-22-02 04:57 PM EDT (US)     21 / 29  
I would suspect that Yaka's plans, if indeed he had any plans, in the Azrac push against the Blessed continent were to drive the newly arrived Humans North into the Valley and the overthrow of Inioch, which in fact is what happened. Once that was accomplished he had no furthur need of the Azracs, which is why they play so little part in the final campaign. His intention all along was to install himself in Inioch's place on the Wizard's throne, and with the removal of King Joseph from the ruins of the Elven court he now has the chance to do so openly. What good are the Azracs to him if they are far to the South? It is the Humans he will now be trying to gain sway over, in competition with Merlin, hoping to again use their thirst for blood to destroy the remnants of the Keepers. Julia, if she is still a power, would do best to back rather then oppose Merlin. Like Artica, we may see her as "Campaign Ally" though that will likely not sit well with the other members of the circle, and possibly not with Gabriel himself. I've always wondered about that guy, his hypocrisy in any of the campaign branches always made him seem to me to be the most sinister of any of the NPC's. At least with Inioch and Meander you knew up front where they stood. Gabriel was always someone pulling your strings for purposes unknown. I think *he* is going to turn out to be the real enemy in the finale.
posted 03-22-02 04:58 PM EDT (US)     22 / 29  

Quoted from BLOODYBATTLEBRAIN:

And besides, if Yaka had given us a little help, with his fire, we could have burnt those bloody airships.....

But as it went, Yaka is way too lazy to help his followers out if they're not faring well.

[This message has been edited by Iznoghoud (edited 03-22-2002 @ 05:01 PM).]

posted 03-22-02 05:14 PM EDT (US)     23 / 29  

Quoted from ChowGuy:

Gabriel was always someone pulling your strings for purposes unknown. I think *he* is going to turn out to be the real enemy in the finale.

Could be, but maybe he won't turn out to be the the real enemy as we are used to, you know, the über-evil enemy who wants to destroy the world.

What about this scenario? Gabriel has the position of the Wizard's throne, and he's getting quite old as you can see on the box cover. The world is in chaos, and he feels he is slowly losing his powers. The other wizards know this too, and have started fighting over who gets the wizard's throne. So Gabriel needs someone to do the dirty work for him, (Merlin) and then he wants to use him as a puppet to keep his position. But Merlin finds this out, and in the end, stands up to him.

Edit: This is a classic Deus Ex plot where the hero in the end stands up against his former employers, and joins the opposition to defeat them.

Feel free to adjust it as you think it will be...

rayb... tell me at least if i'm warm, cold, or freezin' icy cold.

[This message has been edited by Iznoghoud (edited 03-22-2002 @ 05:20 PM).]

posted 03-22-02 06:06 PM EDT (US)     24 / 29  
All your suspicions are wonderful. I am smiling ear to ear, but I will not give this story away... I'll let you play the campaigns to find out. I have a feeling those of you who've followed the stories thus far, will enjoy the story as it continues. Let's just say I doubt you'll be too disappointed.

--Ray

Btw, where in the world did you get the idea the Elves were hunting the humans?

[This message has been edited by rayb AoW (edited 03-22-2002 @ 06:08 PM).]

posted 03-22-02 06:20 PM EDT (US)     25 / 29  
Hmmm... should I interpret this as room-temperature or cold? I think there's at least something I guessed right, but probably very little. At least there is someone who is enjoying all this...

posted 03-22-02 11:48 PM EDT (US)     26 / 29  
> What about this scenario? Gabriel has the position of the Wizard's throne, and he's getting quite old as you can see on the box cover. The world is in chaos, and he feels he is slowly losing his powers.

It's a possibility, but one that doesn't square with the backstory given in the AoW game and manual, or with what we know of the AoW2 intro. According to the AoW1 intro, Inioch, and his line in the Elven Court, have ruled from the Wizard's Throne for millenia, "maintaining the delicate Balance of Light and Shadow." Note that this puts the Elder Elves squarely in the camp of Neutrals, neither "Good" as the [Keeper] Elves of the game world are, nor "Evil" as the Cult [Dark] Elves are. The Highmen, and presumably Gabriel appear quite recently in LIR 800, less then 200 years before the fall of the Verdant Court and the subsequent battle in the Valley a few centuries after that, during which time the Throne has remained empty. Nor can Gabriel have taken the Throne for himself after the battle and be consistant with what we know of the AoW2 story, since in the intro we are told Merlin first meets him while fleeing from that very battle.

Now consider this. We are also told in the opening cut scene that the humans arrive in the Blessed Contintent after being "Driven from their 'Garden.'" Who did the driving, and why? Well again in the officail time line, we see the the Highmen, after meeting with Inioch, left the Valley in LIR 801 "to work in their 'garden'" 161 years before the Human "vessels first appear on the horizon." Sounds to me like a planned invasion, the Highmen didn't just arrive to "protect" the Humans from the Cult, they sent them there in the first place. What about their "natural" enemies the Undead? In 1101 'someone' blows the Trump of Doom, though the Azracs deny it was them. The Undead subsequently wash over the land, destroying *everyone* in their path, good and eveil alike, but the Highmen take no action until 1146 when the threaten the Humans holding the Ancient ruins in the Valley. Once that is secure they again disappear except to guard a few key holdings, and the Undead continue to wreak havok. They rebuff all attempts by the Keepers or the Alliance to enlist their aid. If they had wanted to weaken everyone else to establish their own dominance they could not have done a better job of it, or done it at less risk to themselves.

So what can we concieve as the AoW2 storyline? Gabriel, having recruited a young, inexperienced and virtually impotant wizard, sends him forth to battle in his stead and collect the six spheres of magic. But there's a seventh sphere - the Cosmos sphere - that transcends them all that will be the focus of the final scenario. Sound's a bit like "One Sphere to rule them all, one sphere to find them" doesn't it? And who do you suppose would be more likely to actually have the Cosmos sphere the the representative of a "Cosmic" race, hmmm? What do you want to bet that little bauble at the end of either the Keeper or Cult via Highmen campaign is just such a thing?

RayB:
Yeah, like we rellay expected you were going to comment on any of this :lol It's like asking a mystery writer to give you the last page of his book before it's published.

posted 03-23-02 00:16 AM EDT (US)     27 / 29  

Quoted from ChowGuy:

I've always wondered about , his hypocrisy in any of the campaign branches always made him seem to me to be the most sinister of any of the NPC's.

Why do you say that? Could you divulge further? I think it is unfair to stigmatize just Gabriel. You would have to do it to all the highmen, because in general they are all very ambiguous about their pure motives. When did you ever find the highmen be straightforward to you about their plans? You find out in the end some of their motives, but certainly not in the beginning. And even in the end of AOW, you never truly find out what the highmen are after. I think it is highly unlikely that the highmen came to the Valley of Wonders only to protect the human’s interest. I agree with you that there might be another motive that the highmen (Archons) have, but I am not sure where I see you are going by calling Gabriel a hypocrite.

posted 03-23-02 03:38 AM EDT (US)     28 / 29  

Quoted from ChowGuy:

Inioch, and his line in the Elven Court, have ruled from the Wizard's Throne for millenia, "maintaining the delicate Balance of Light and Shadow."

That's true, but in the story section on the AoW2 website Gabriel says this to Merlin:

"You are in the land of Evermore, where the Circle of Wizards has governed the spheres of magic, all magic, for thousands of years. (...) Perhaps, one day, you may even replace me on the Wizard's Throne. Rise young Merlin, your quest begins here!"

It's clear that the wizard's throne hasn't been empty for ALL the time after Inioch's fall.

I'm getting the impression that we're talking about 2 different thrones even though they have the same name. Inioch had the Wizard's throne in the Elven Court, in the AoW1 intro it says that "all living beings were ruled by the elven court, where king Inioch sat upon his throne..." Gabriel now has the Wizard's throne of Evermore. So either someone after Inioch's fall zapped the big stone chair to Evermore, we're talking about 2 different thrones here, or the story is not entirely consistent. Or maybe Gabriel has the position of the one existing Wizard's throne in the Valley of Wonders, but can't sit on it because the Elven court has been ruined. (now I can see why he's getting so tired, the poor man hasn't had a sit in about 200 years )

But it looks to me that in the AoW2 story, there is actually a Wizard's throne on Evermore. So what's the explanation?

[This message has been edited by Iznoghoud (edited 03-23-2002 @ 03:45 AM).]

posted 03-25-02 02:34 PM EDT (US)     29 / 29  
Hmm the anticipation is building for this one as the rumours fly!

Looking froward to it! Will make email and multiplayer games very interesting once finished the campaign.

Cheers,

Sleet

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies » Countdown Begins - Wizards Profiled at PC IGN.com
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames