You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: def 20 => critical hit? hope not.
posted 03-20-02 04:14 AM EDT (US)   
probably discussed earlier, but i couldn't find it recently... so:

in aow 1, i've seen heroes with 10 def always suffering maximum damage from lesser units when hit. as much as i know units with attack 6 or less all have 10% chance of hitting def 10 - they need to roll 10 on a ten sized dice and that also means a critical hit, that is because they always inflict maximum damage.

i didn't like this, especially when i didn't know how hit and damage was calculated, so i got my 10 hp leader killed by a single ballista, when i thought the chance much less than the actual 1% (i thought if even it hits twice, there's only a 1/25 chance for both inflicting maximum damage) - quite annoying when trying to play "ironman" (no reload)... :P

the problem is not only that critical hit. if you have attack 5, increasing it to attack 6 doesn't affect your chance to hit def 10 at all. but when it is increased to 7, your chance is doubled! increasing it to 8 multiplies the chance only by 3/2, etc. and that of course applies to def 2 (most first level units have that) and attack 6: you have 90% to hit, doesn't matter if you increase it to 10, it's still 90%. but as soon as you have only attack 5, the chance of failure is doubled. this latter case is much more frequent, but as heroes practically always had high def, the other one was quite important too.

it's a pity that i expect this will change only a little bit in aow 2: stats will range from 1 to 20, so perhaps the min. chance will be 5% instead of 10%, and the max.. ok, you got it. (and actually i prefered the 1-10 stuff aesthetically...)

i've already managed (in gameman1a's last interwiev on planet of wonders) to ask lennart why they don't use gaussian distribution, so i don't want to push the devs again, just thought to ask you guys what u think about this.

(using the normal (gaussian) distribution for the rolls would be quite similar to the current system, only it would be more "smooth", without this "1->6 no effect, 6->7: doubled chance" thingie and the others i'm bitching about...)

if you could give some links to the previous topics about this, i'd appreciate it

Replies:
posted 03-20-02 05:04 AM EDT (US)     1 / 4  
This system was chenged.

Damage distribution is now even. so if you have a 50% chance to-hit, and 5 DAM, then you have a 10% chance of doing 1 DAM, 10% of doing 2 DAM, etc etc. The "always critical hit" situation you described does not occur in aow2.

Hope that makes you happy.

Josh Farley
Programmer
Triumph Studios
posted 03-20-02 06:00 AM EDT (US)     2 / 4  
sure it makes me happy!

(and got an answer from a dev, within an hour... that's something! )

this was the main problem - actually if you don't know about that 1->6 vs 6->7 thingie, you can hardly recognize it when fighting with and against different units all the time... so i feel completly satisfied now (well, not completely before i get the game... or at least the beta demo )

posted 03-20-02 06:03 AM EDT (US)     3 / 4  
If I understand correctly:
When you have 40% to hit and do 8 damage you'd have
5% chance to do 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 damage each, Which sums up to a total of 40% chance to do damage at all.
60% chance damage= 0.

Ok, seems better!

posted 03-20-02 08:08 AM EDT (US)     4 / 4  
I like that much better too!

What I don't understand is why there are the same chances to do maximum and minimum damage. Usually in wargames the higher damage can be achieved with lower chances than the minimum.

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies » def 20 => critical hit? hope not.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames