Please login or register

AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Sky World
posted 03-08-02 05:15 PM EDT (US)   
I think I've seen a post on this before, but it would be very cool (and maybe impossible) to have a sky level. Vines like in the fairytales or very tall mountains could link the bottom world to the heavens. I could use the editor to make an Asgard or an Archon heaven filled with holy stuff and light. That would be awesome, but I doubt it will get put in the game.

"There are the malcontents, and do not underestimate them, for they are legion!"--Julius Caesar
"King of kings, ruling over kings"--motto of the last dynasty of the Eastern Roman Empire
Replies:
posted 03-08-02 06:24 PM EDT (US)     1 / 20  
Yes it has been talked about, and it wont be in the game.
But it should be possible for AoW3, now that they dumped the depths and all...
posted 03-08-02 06:37 PM EDT (US)     2 / 20  
Nice suggestion, but I am not having an easy time trying to imagine how it would work. Flying city for example would be great... but I wouldn't be crazy for a situation where clouds are the floor of a new level and a bunch of objects are standing on them as if they were an actual floor. It would have to be ethereal... Maybe just adding flying cities would be sufficient, after all.

[This message has been edited by Black Knight (edited 03-08-2002 @ 06:46 PM).]

posted 03-09-02 07:57 AM EDT (US)     3 / 20  
And maybe Age of Wonders4 will feature a Space Level.

Swolte

posted 03-11-02 01:11 PM EDT (US)     4 / 20  
That was ME who created that idea!
posted 03-11-02 07:04 PM EDT (US)     5 / 20  
I actually made this suggestion to Lennart a long time back. I think it'd be fun too. We also discussed a "Hell" type level too... both are possibilities, I suppose in future expansions.

Ultimately the fruition of such features comes down to the popularity of the project at hand. If AoW2 does well, chances are they'll get a chance to try out some of the more "funky" terrain types...

--Ray

posted 03-11-02 09:38 PM EDT (US)     6 / 20  
...As long as it's not just a regular level that looks like a carpet of clouds, which would look very silly. Just make it such that it could only be accessed by flyers (but then again specific races could get an automatic advantage that way) .

Also visually it should just be transparent, while the shadow of cities and clouds could be projected onto the ground level.

[This message has been edited by Black Knight (edited 03-11-2002 @ 09:41 PM).]

posted 03-12-02 02:51 PM EDT (US)     7 / 20  

Quoted from RayB:

If AoW2 does well, chances are they'll get a chance to try out some of the more "funky" terrain types.

*sniff, sniff*

I smell expansion pack!

posted 03-12-02 04:41 PM EDT (US)     8 / 20  
*sniff* yes! And... *sniff* ...I think I can sense the smell of a campaign editor in that expansion too! (Or maybe it's just in my dreams....)
posted 03-12-02 09:01 PM EDT (US)     9 / 20  
but....but.....but....i made that up! *sniffle*
posted 03-13-02 00:37 AM EDT (US)     10 / 20  
The sky level doesn't have to be clouds, it could be floating islands in the sky, and they could put airships in the game for travel into the sky. Big, fancy airships like the ones in final fantasy 9(not an advertisement just an example).
posted 03-15-02 08:52 PM EDT (US)     11 / 20  
Boooo...why no sky level...

And why dump the depths and caverns?

I squee'd like a fangirl when the Frostlings were announced for AoW3. True story.
posted 03-15-02 08:54 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20  
I smell in the expansion pack...Legend of Cynon! no, not really, but it would be kewl if they would make an LoC campaign...or I would.

Hey, not a bad idea, make your own campaigns like in EE!

I squee'd like a fangirl when the Frostlings were announced for AoW3. True story.
posted 03-15-02 09:12 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20  
yeah, I suggested this one (Give me my castle in the sky). Make sure it makes the "expansion" game!!

Edit: It would need to have moving clouds and maybe even variance in clouds touching (sometimes you could invade another cloud, sometimes they wouldn't be next to each other). Then it would be "different" than just another tileset. But as for practicallity, well....

[This message has been edited by TalonThorn (edited 03-15-2002 @ 09:15 PM).]

posted 03-18-02 03:54 PM EDT (US)     14 / 20  
My idea would be to have the regular ground level, and then hell and heaven. Hell will be below the ground and heaven in......heaven. Heaven could be filled with archons and holy units while the undead could rule the hell. The main ground could become a neutral area where the rest of the races lives. But that maybe already exists in some other game.
posted 03-18-02 04:23 PM EDT (US)     15 / 20  
ARRRGGG...thats my idea!
posted 03-18-02 05:45 PM EDT (US)     16 / 20  
I think it should be floating islands in the sky,like the zeal kingdom in chrono trigger, there would be clouds, but i would assume you wouldn't be able to walk on them.Metal Fatigue has asteroids orbiting the planets for a sky level, AoW 2 could have floating islands over the surface, and they would be connected to the surface with some kind of bridge maybe, or we'd need flying transports to get to them. There could maybe be a heaven or hell level, but those arent the same as the sky.

Also, i think the depths should stay. They could make the depths more swamplike, and darker than the caves, so they would be different.

[This message has been edited by psykitty (edited 03-18-2002 @ 05:47 PM).]

posted 03-18-02 06:47 PM EDT (US)     17 / 20  
I am not that crazy for all that, actually.

I like a regular ground level and MAYBE just one underground (just as it is right now).

posted 03-19-02 05:21 AM EDT (US)     18 / 20  
Yeah, nothing too fancy right now, first get the normal scenarios right.

Steel Monkey
posted 03-19-02 03:03 PM EDT (US)     19 / 20  
Here are the proper levels:
Outer Space???
Grand Heaven
Heaven Lv.4
Heaven Lv.3
Heaven Lv.2
Heaven Lv.1
Thermosphere
Stratosphere
High Altitude
Ground level
Underground
Depths Lv.1
Depths Lv.2
Mantle
Hell Lv.1
Hell Lv.2
Hell Lv.3
Hell Lv.4
Hell Lv.5
Hell Lv.6
Hell Lv.7
Hell Lv.8
Hell Lv.9
Earths Core?????
posted 03-19-02 06:41 PM EDT (US)     20 / 20  
I was thinking of Zeal Kingdom, as well. It would be cool to have floating islands and magical castles. Maybe an Ocean World, too? I guess since the Lizardmen are gone, that wouldn,t work. They need to come up with a new aquatic race. The game looks awesome in the screens, but it would be cool if there was an expansion pack.

"There are the malcontents, and do not underestimate them, for they are legion!"--Julius Caesar
"King of kings, ruling over kings"--motto of the last dynasty of the Eastern Roman Empire
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies » Sky World
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames