AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: New Preview (CGO) 2/20
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 02-20-02 02:08 PM EDT (US)   
New preview up at CGO, haven't read it yet, but it looks to have new screenies and FOUR pages of preview goodness:
http://www.cgonline.com/features/020220-f1-f1.html

Spotted this news a www.rpgdot.com

Replies:
posted 02-20-02 05:01 PM EDT (US)     1 / 53  
Great screens!
Units spotted : Bone dragon, Jabba the hut (!) and a black tigran (panther?) to name a few.

Quote:

You can also opt to research new combat skills in the same way that you research spells

Cool!

posted 02-20-02 06:13 PM EDT (US)     2 / 53  
And it look like the walls can be upgraded with towers and some other things. Nice...
posted 02-20-02 06:17 PM EDT (US)     3 / 53  
I think that "jabba" is a sandworm

"I have curly pubic hair. If I don't gel it down, it puffs up into a miniature afro and looks rediculous." -Kman
posted 02-20-02 06:36 PM EDT (US)     4 / 53  
I love the new detail in all the units and land and structures. As well, good to see all the details in cities (and upgrading), magic and more.

Great preview, Looking excellent Triumph! Can't wait for the game. The reviewer said it may stay on a HD for months if not a year, I can see this one sitting beside Civ, BGII for me much longer!

Sleet

posted 02-21-02 06:27 AM EDT (US)     5 / 53  
Random things I saw while scanning through it:

Dire Penguins and most fantastic units are now summoned and no longer built/recruited

GUARD TOWERS

There seem to be an awful lot of demons in the game too. There's a battle scene where a snake/demon unit with a blue nimbus is about to kick the ass of the units just outside, as well as what LOOKS like Gnolls with bows...

Check out esp. the shots of the Halfling Eagle Rider! The detail on it is EXQUISITE. See the individual feathers!

First picture or so, see your race relations at a glance! The new relations page is looking VERY spiffy!

More later as I write a full report!

posted 02-21-02 07:26 AM EDT (US)     6 / 53  
WOW, I have spotted a nymph!!
In the button of the first screen shot on page 3, that can only be a nymph

Kris

posted 02-21-02 08:33 AM EDT (US)     7 / 53  
Oboy, ohboy, oboy!!!!
Magical force fields in front of city walls, dire penguins and an option to build new bridges!! I want to play this thing NOW!!!!!

Now what on earth is that goat headed crab-snake thing?!?! Demon?

A real dragon this time, I guess the Frostling unit we have seen before wasn’t more then a flying lizard

Now THATS’s what I call orcish shamans!!! (or is it something else )

Pony riders seem to be back (but who would have thought otherwise ) In this picture there is also something down to the left, an air elemental?

PS. It looks like ships will be built inside cities now...

[This message has been edited by Fisenflycht (edited 02-21-2002 @ 09:22 AM).]

posted 02-21-02 09:08 AM EDT (US)     8 / 53  
>>Now THATS’s what I call orcish shamans!!! (or is it something else<<

Oh come on!! That's not an orc; it's a tigran. No more AOW2
previews for Fisenflycht.

Steel Monkey
posted 02-21-02 09:12 AM EDT (US)     9 / 53  
Tigrans are to the right, fighting something ugly in tall hats surrounded in something yellow...
posted 02-21-02 09:25 AM EDT (US)     10 / 53  
If anything looks like Orc shaman's those are it!

The unit in the halfing picture appears to be some sort of water/land unit... it looks suspiciously like the water elemental (or no.. it was Ice I think) from HOMM3.

That looks like a Sphinx in the Azrac vs Orc battle.

There's also a shot someplace where you can see the idea of "domain boundries" The domains of the two wizards seem to overlap each other though.... Which is pretty nifty. Perhaps they might be allies of a sort.

[This message has been edited by Blackmane (edited 02-21-2002 @ 09:27 AM).]

posted 02-21-02 12:59 PM EDT (US)     11 / 53  
"The domains of the two wizards seem to overlap each other though.... Which is pretty nifty. Perhaps they might be allies of a sort"

Josh, (or was it Lennart ?) has confirmed that domains of 2 enemy wizards can overlap, allowing both of them to cast spells in that area.

Kris

posted 02-21-02 08:17 PM EDT (US)     12 / 53  
It also mentions that city defenders can drop hot oil from city walls........Lords of the Realm II anyone?!?
posted 02-21-02 08:44 PM EDT (US)     13 / 53  
> It also mentions that city defenders can drop hot oil from city walls. <

Really? Curious. I don't see that anywhere. I see "Triumph is also considering giving infantry units on walls the ability to drop boiling oil" (italics mine) but I don't see where it says they have done so.

posted 02-21-02 08:48 PM EDT (US)     14 / 53  
I'd like to know what is the dark elf swords man leading the (great looking) new executioners against te frostlings!
posted 02-22-02 00:33 AM EDT (US)     15 / 53  
Aww, doesn't look like my frosterlings are going to come through, ... ...unless of course, that Mammoth really kicks some serious bum!!

But oh wow, these screen are amazing.

posted 02-22-02 00:35 AM EDT (US)     16 / 53  
Look!! There's another hairy half-apeish, half-boarish thingy!! We can see it's face now, and it's definitely a pig face...
posted 02-22-02 06:49 AM EDT (US)     17 / 53  
I hope I will be forgiven by the devs and other fans when I say that I am beginning to feel a bit ill at ease with some of the so called improvements.

Lennart and Josh, if you are reading this, your oft-touted teleportal upgrade is sounding more and more like a bone thrown in for the wrong crowd of gamers. I realize we don’t yet know all the ins and outs of how the feature will work, but I am sure if you were to ask a lot of diehard players of the original the pros/cons of the spell ‘Town Gate’ (which is obviously the parallel) you would get quite an earful about how the widespread use of it has a negative effect on gameplay. Any more of this sort of thing runs the risk of taking the ‘endgame,’ as you call it, down several notches in strategic depth, far from adding an exciting and new dimension. Playing AoW with Town Gate is as much fun as... checkers, in my opinion. Please, if you won’t scrap building teleportals outright, at least will you consider making it off-able in the editor?

And why oh why have you removed the depths? I'm still having trouble believing it's true. A whole map level, gone!.... The bananas from those Poptop people.

~Fingers~

PS. But it is a beautiful preview.

[This message has been edited by Fingers (edited 02-22-2002 @ 07:21 AM).]

posted 02-22-02 07:25 AM EDT (US)     18 / 53  
Notice the tapestry (big white city and big mean looking mountain). Can't wait to be seated in that throne.
Tapestry and Spheres

The shady figure in the lower left corner is a water elemental, for sure IMO. When you look at the spell book it's clear the shape resembles.
Cornered Water Elemental
Spell book

Notice the dwarves with the backpacks? What are they doing near that wall? Could they be a demolition squad, placing explosives beneath walls ?
Dwarven demolitioners
And 2 clerics in front of the cannon (that shot down the gate) and a human pistoleer?

That's all for page 1.

Newsboy555: I was in a zoo lately and think that its a Black Panter face .
Swolte

p.s. I agree with Fingers on the teleportation.

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 02-22-2002 @ 10:46 AM).]

posted 02-22-02 09:16 AM EDT (US)     19 / 53  
I don't think it's a water elemental (but I could be wrong of course ) You can get a better view of what I think a water elemental looks like in this screenshot.
posted 02-22-02 10:35 AM EDT (US)     20 / 53  
very true...... hmmm... an upgraded water elemental? Or an air elemental?

The dwarven units: I believe the dwarves have become seriously mechanized... almost Warcraft 3 like....

Is it a good or bad thing that we can already spot parallel's with HOMM3 in the Ranger/sharpshooter and Warcraft 3 with weapons like the tank?
The teleporter as well.... hmm....

posted 02-22-02 10:42 AM EDT (US)     21 / 53  
Aw come on, throw me a bone eh? It's a PIG!!!!
posted 02-22-02 11:12 AM EDT (US)     22 / 53  
Fisenflycht
It's clearer the shape resembles your suggestion. It don't think it is an Air Elemental but I'm not going to be sure of anything anymore. It must be one of those demonic monsters then. How do you call these people/women with snake like bodies? Naga's maybe?

*Pads Newsboy555 on the back*
I'm sorry, man...
It just wouldn't make sense.

Swolte

posted 02-22-02 11:21 AM EDT (US)     23 / 53  
Isn´t those half-snake women callad Hydra?? Could be wrong though.
posted 02-22-02 12:30 PM EDT (US)     24 / 53  
A Naga has the body of a snake and the torso and head of a woman. A hydra is a multi-headed monster, generally with serpentine heads. The body may be snake-like but more often has a massive torso (to support the heads) and limbs like a dragon. Both are common fanasy creatures in games. Both for example occur as units in HoMM III.
posted 02-22-02 12:55 PM EDT (US)     25 / 53  
Don´t mean to be picky but the Hydra is a mythological being - not a fantasy one...

ThEJeRk

My Hotmailaccount sometimes fills up. Please try this adress if that happens: aow2mail@yahoo.se

posted 02-22-02 12:57 PM EDT (US)     26 / 53  
Fingers: No worries. It's not like you get the teleporters as a gift from Aunt Mabel on the Feast of Saint Lulu...

--Ray

posted 02-22-02 06:31 PM EDT (US)     27 / 53  
No, now I remembered their name. It was Medusas I was after. Dammit I had to bring up the ole manual for HoMM3 to get it right.
posted 02-22-02 06:58 PM EDT (US)     28 / 53  
pitiful, just pitiful idiotboy

"I have curly pubic hair. If I don't gel it down, it puffs up into a miniature afro and looks rediculous." -Kman
posted 02-22-02 09:03 PM EDT (US)     29 / 53  
Medusa along with Stheno and Eurayle was one of the three Gorgon sisters of Greek mythology. Snakes gew from their heads and they were covered in scales, but they themselves were not snake-like. Rather, they were winged creatures more like harpies.

The name however like the Lernaean Hydra of the Greek Hercules myth or the Hindu Naga, has come to be used for a genre of creatures who have little connection with the originals other then borrowing parts of their appearance.

See Jerk, They're *all* mythological beings

posted 02-23-02 10:24 AM EDT (US)     30 / 53  
Now Devon... not everyone's as smart as you... *snickers as Devon smiles goofily and pats his "Dunce" cap proudly*

Yes... keep wearing the "Smart" hat Devon...

ok on a serious note, let's not slam other forumers too much all right Devon?

posted 02-23-02 10:33 AM EDT (US)     31 / 53  
My I.Q. is 150-170 range, I am in all honers classes including calculus and astronomy!

BTW-sorry 'bout that idiotboy

[This message has been edited by Lord Devon (edited 02-23-2002 @ 10:33 AM).]

posted 02-23-02 02:31 PM EDT (US)     32 / 53  
About what?? Me having a bad memory or me actually playing HoMM3??
posted 02-23-02 04:10 PM EDT (US)     33 / 53  
Posted by Lord Devon: My I.Q. is 150-170 range, I am in all honers classes including calculus and astronomy!

What are honer classes? Is that some type of blade sharpening school?

Sad to see depths are gone if that is true, hope they add some other feature to make large maps!

Cheers,

posted 02-23-02 04:49 PM EDT (US)     34 / 53  
honor classes! PlacE WAre SmaRt PePEL Goo!?

posted 02-23-02 06:00 PM EDT (US)     35 / 53  
I think, that the so called "Cornered water elemental" is nothin' else, than a drake.
Its shape looks very similar to the spell "Drake" in on of the earlier spellbook screenshots.

Could the black panther-like creature in the Orc vs. Tigran screen be some sort of tigran champion?

posted 02-24-02 07:22 AM EDT (US)     36 / 53  
With all the 100% brightness on my computer screen I couldn't make a drake (= small flying dragon, not?) out of it. Perhaps you mean this Wyrm? Is that the screenshot, Darkmind?
My money's on Naga's, still.

These Shamans are a mystery to me. Maybe they're just Orcs and the lighting of the spell makes their skin seem.. humanlike? Notice there are two different 'Shamans'. The one under Jabba (Venom spitting giant wurm?) looks different.

The four deities are: Chaos, Life, Nature and Cosmos?
Based on the text

Quoted from Article:

Triumph has added a pantheon of four deities (all right, it's a small pantheon) to the game. Deities will offer you quests from time to time, sometimes as a scripted event when you explore a certain area on the map, sometimes just out of the blue. They act as a balancing element in the game, and also a catalyst to maintain friction between different wizards. The Life deity might ask you raze a nearby Death node in exchange for several Nymph units, the Chaos deity might ask you to break an alliance with another wizard for a large sum of gold. You can ignore the deities if you like, or you can build shrines in your town to improve your relations (completing their quests helps, too).

and the screenshot.

Swolte

posted 02-24-02 02:49 PM EDT (US)     37 / 53  
> With all the 100% brightness on my computer screen I couldn't make a drake (= small flying dragon, not?) out of it.

Oh, I am so glad that amid all the ooo-ing and ahhh-ing over the "exquisite new graphics" someone else has finally had the nerve to mention here that just about all of the screen shots we've seen are dark, muddy, and hopelessly obscured. One of the things I hate most in AoW1 is the way my Undead units tend to lose themselves in the background on their native wasteland, even without the "helpful" provision of a Cloud of Ashes that I can't get rid of because some mapmaker thinks it adds "atmosphere." And yet what do we see being hyped in AoW2? Even more "particle effect" and "fantasy-like mists." I just hope that when the game comes out it will actually be playable and not just something pretty to sit and stare at. Hopefully there will be options to turn some of that off, if only in the interests of making the game run acceptably on anything less then the latest high end state of the art CPUs and graphics cards.

posted 02-24-02 09:01 PM EDT (US)     38 / 53  
...So I'm going to ask something completely obscure.

Why are the movement things different colors? I gather that RED means you can't get there this turn, but YELLOW?

posted 02-24-02 11:04 PM EDT (US)     39 / 53  
In this one? The text on the thumbnail says "Units are larger in both the battle maps and on the main map; the colored bullets tell you how many attacks your unit will get at the end of its move."
posted 02-25-02 07:20 AM EDT (US)     40 / 53  
Correct! the red dots, of course, tell you you've selected a route that's too long for the unit to go this turn. the green distance means if you don't go farther than that, you'll get 2 attacks! the yellow distance gives you 1 attack. BTW, not moving gives you 3 attacks.

KOYAANISQATSI (From The Hopi Language)
1. Crazy Life. 2. Life In Turmoil.
3. Life Disintegrating. 4. Life Out Of Balance.
5. A State Of Life That Calls For Another Way Of Living.
6. Greatest Movie Ever Made.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies » New Preview (CGO) 2/20
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames