Please login or register

AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Hi! and a question
posted 02-13-02 10:44 PM EDT (US)   
I would like to say hi for I am new here. I Love Aow but always thought it needed a random map generator. I just want to know how many options Aow2 will have with the generator, though I do not know if this information is out yet.
Replies:
posted 02-14-02 02:29 AM EDT (US)     1 / 13  
We don't know much about it, but I bet you it will be quite rich in terms of options. For example I know for sure (because I asked and one of the members of the developing team answered me) that it will include an "intelligent placement" of wizards at the startup.

Meaning that human players won't end up starting the game next to each others (which is something that always made me mad in other games).

posted 02-14-02 07:13 AM EDT (US)     2 / 13  
Thank you!
posted 02-14-02 08:59 AM EDT (US)     3 / 13  
A random map generator is a fantastic solution for short skirmish games, however, for greater maps i'd still prefer user-made maps.
But this may change... if I get a chance to see the RMG working.
posted 02-14-02 09:15 AM EDT (US)     4 / 13  
The random map generator (as a game feature in general) is AWESOME! It's what kept me playing Civ2 for years...

~Aow4Ever~

[This message has been edited by Aow4Ever (edited 02-14-2002 @ 09:16 AM).]

posted 02-14-02 02:39 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13  
Yeah well you can't really compare Civ2 with Age of Wonders.
I still think, that user made maps will have more and unique RPG elements, which a random map generator cannot create.

However I LOVE being able to play random maps for skirmishes!
It was one reason for me not to play AoW any longer, since I finished most of the available maps.

[This message has been edited by DarkMind (edited 02-14-2002 @ 02:40 PM).]

posted 02-14-02 02:45 PM EDT (US)     6 / 13  
Agree with DarkMind. Random maps would pale to the well crafted XL maps we've seen to AOW 1. Especially now with the new event scripting engine. I can't imagine ever playing random maps even for skirmishes given the time it takes to play each map.

Even in CIV i rarelly play on anything else than Earth maps. The random maps might add some uncertainty but they also add not too realistic world layouts. Mostly because you can't random billions of years of natural change it would require a simulation engine we haven't seen yet .
Still it would be even harder to create a belivable story true to a fantasy book.

BM

posted 02-14-02 03:44 PM EDT (US)     7 / 13  
Random maps would certainly have their place in a single player game, which is unquestionably one of the markets Triumph must address if AoW2 is to be comercially sucessful. Even if every map downloaded from this site was taken to be a separate game purchaser (and they most certainly aren't) the volume would not justify the cost of developing a successor. Random maps give Triumph a marketing tool and that will hopefully work to the advantage of the hard-core custom map devotees as well. I see it as a good thing for the game whether you or I personally ever play on one or not, as I am sure does DarkMind.
posted 02-14-02 04:33 PM EDT (US)     8 / 13  
Yes from a purelly sales point I think it was a good move. It will help sell packages and perhaps aid the custom designers too.

BM

posted 02-14-02 04:57 PM EDT (US)     9 / 13  
I wonder if it will be possible to edit maps created by the RMG? That would be great...
posted 02-14-02 05:07 PM EDT (US)     10 / 13  
A RMG certainly is a major advantage for turn based strategy, if it is properly prepeared to work well (i remember the first RMG in HoMM - my worst nightmare!!)

Although some people might not need this generator, or have only little use for it, most of the players will enjoy the oppurtunity to take all new challenges on an unknown map if they want to. And this is the point.
I think even players who don't usually use random map generators will be amazed by the power of AoW2's RMG.

Just remember, that this game will be a product of Triumph Studios!

posted 02-18-02 01:31 PM EDT (US)     11 / 13  
That's right Darkie! It's gonna be great!

Maggie: You bet you'll be able to edit any random map that you create. It should be nice because you won't have to fill out the maps, just tweak them as you like. Of course ... that does present the possibility that some of the handmade maps will be just some guy's random map runs... which can turn out to be a bad thing...

Of course my maps will be excruciatingly detailed, to the point of giving you a head ache... just in case you wondered...

--Ray

posted 02-18-02 03:44 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13  

Look forward to more Chain Lightnings...

These next CL's will actually work!

Lol.

I squee'd like a fangirl when the Frostlings were announced for AoW3. True story.
posted 02-19-02 03:25 AM EDT (US)     13 / 13  
Nice! No more of this "placing trees trying to make it look random". This means that even I might have enough patience to create a map...

[This message has been edited by Magog (edited 02-19-2002 @ 04:09 AM).]

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies » Hi! and a question
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames