Please login or register

AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoW 2 Cover Story of Computer Games Magazine
posted 12-28-01 02:29 PM EDT (US)   
Computer Gaming World's latest issue has Age of Wonders 2 as their cover story. They also cover Heroes IV, Warlords III, Warcraft III, Warlords Battlecry II, and other fantasy games. The theme of this month's magazine is who is the new "Master of Magic".

Haven't had a chance to read the articles yet, but do see some AoW2 units I hadn't seen before.

Will check out further when I get home.

Moebius

Edit: Now that I think about it, it could have been Computer Games Strategy Plus magazine...the names are so similar....sorry.

[This message has been edited by Moebius (edited 12-28-2001 @ 02:42 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-28-01 08:44 PM EDT (US)     1 / 25  
The Actual magazine is the February issue of Computer Games magazine, formerly known as Computer Games and Strategy Plus:

A few excerpts from the article by Benjamin E. Sones that are new material (at least to me):

1) Campaign Episodes: you have to play two of the three episodes to unlock the optional third; an opportunity to beef up Merlin and learn more spells

2) You can also opt to research new combat skills in the same way that you research spells. "It's a tradeoff between learning new magic and improving your fighting abilities, " says Sas.

3) Your magical research resets between scenarios, but spells stay researched. The last episode in the game features the Cosmos sphere, which includes all the spells from the spheres of magic

4) Cosmos sphere will also appear in standalone scenarios, but it will take longer to learn the more powerful spells as opposed to the other spheres.

5) Your heroes, aside from Merlin, won't carry over between scenarios at all.

6) Domain spells: more powerful than global enchantments
Fire domain: fire damage to any enemy unit in your radius
Life domain: heals within radius
Death domain: zone of darkness within radius

7) Heroes can cast combat spells outside of your radius

8) Regarding "challenge areas" (replacing dungeons and shrines):
"The Magic Vault is one example of the revamped dungeon areas. It is a neutral site, guarded by some sort of critter and various protection spells. If you choose to explore it, you'll have to fight the guardian. Succeed and you get to keep whatever treasure or spell is in the Vault"

9) Cities will have wood or stone walls, and the magical force field

10) Pioneers can build bridges, watchtowers, and new towns

11) Only siege units can attack walls, but any units can attack the gate, though enemy units on the walls can shoot while you are doing so. Infantry may get boiling oil to use on invaders as well.

12) Colored bullets tell you how many attacks you unit will get at the end of its move in TC

13) Some units and descriptions:

Archon Charioteer: ranged or melee combat
Black Angel: summon with Death magic, can kill with Touch of Death
Minotaur: Summoned with Earth Magic - can block and charge. Can run very fast
Tigran Catmaster - rider on a Sabre-toothed tiger. Range and mount attacks
Ice Dragon: Summoned with Air magic -cold breath, may gain a lightning-based special attack in the final game.

Final comment by author, Benjamin E. Sones, "...Age of Wonders II will be a game they get hundreds of hours of gameplay out of, and that will stay on their hard drives for months, if not years."

posted 12-29-01 00:31 AM EDT (US)     2 / 25  
Great stuff, thanks Moebius! Being able to build bridges will add new strategy, and the fact that you can build them implies one will probably be able to raze them as well! Muhahahaha!!

Any info on the new Minnotaur is always welcome as well!

posted 12-29-01 04:30 AM EDT (US)     3 / 25  
BURN THE BRIDGES AS THEY COME!

*considers*

Hmm.. I wish there could be the possibility of shooting over rivers as well.

An old Middle Ages tactic was to have special wooden bridges buit across a series of small rivers, and archers would staff each one, until the enemy was about to over run one, in which case they made a fighting retreat, burning the bridges behind them, and then repeated it. It made for deadly results.

posted 12-29-01 11:28 AM EDT (US)     4 / 25  

Quote:

Black Angel: summon with Death magic, can kill with Touch of Death

*drools*

This must be the replacement for the Undead Reaper?

Woot!!

-Chaos

This body... this body holding me... be my reminder here that I am not alone in...This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal all this pain is an illusion. - From Tool’s
Parabola - Maynard James Keenan
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me... for me...FOR MEEEEEE!! - From Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody - Freddie Mercury
Insanity is but the price paid by mankind for his intellect. -Chaos Spawn Zone 666 The Abyss
posted 01-09-02 02:26 PM EDT (US)     5 / 25  
slobber....they should make an emoticon just showing a handsome guy (me ofcourse) slobbering. I would se it enough to justify it's existence.

BLOODYBATTLEBRAIN, last of the Azrac warriors.
posted 01-10-02 00:55 AM EDT (US)     6 / 25  
Moebius, thanks for the great info! However, they were a bit sparse... Post some more on what you've read in that magazine about AoW II and I'll forgive you.
posted 01-10-02 11:55 AM EDT (US)     7 / 25  
Yes, I likes. So is that combat skill research only in campaign or in SP too??

And did I hear something about units being able to stand on the walls, capable of pouring boiling oil on to their enemies?? I can hear them now, "Ah!! Mono-Unsaturated oil!! AIIEE!!!" heh heh heh...

And that Tigran Catmaster wouldn't be the unit that is seen in the "Tigran's" topic is it??

Yes, I think that all the kudos that can be spared go to Moebius. All in favour??

posted 01-10-02 12:49 PM EDT (US)     8 / 25  
Nay, not until he posts more about what he has read in that magazine.
posted 01-10-02 02:56 PM EDT (US)     9 / 25  
Well, I have at least 2 kudos for him, I thought the information was priceless
posted 01-10-02 04:04 PM EDT (US)     10 / 25  
Want more? Well, here's something I posted to the pc strategy usenet group after I read the article. Moebius covered it all already but there may be a new tidbit in there somewhere:

Just a few highlights from a preview in Computer Games magazine:

The Wizard
-------------------
Your main unit/character (called the Leader in the original AoW) is now your wizard and apparently they are always in the game, unlike in the original where you could leave Leaders off the map entirely. Wizards play a much greater and more significant role than did Leaders before them.

It looks like there are some benefits to keeping your wizard at home in one of his Towers (eg it expands his "domain") but he may be required to explore a bit for one reason or another.

Wizard Domains
--------------------------
It seems your wizard has a "radius of influence" that surrounds his/her holdings or something. It starts small and can be expanded by putting your wizard in a town with a Wizard Tower in it. I imagine this "domain" expands based on power and such as well....

The domain is important as your wizard can only cast spells within its borders but you'll be able to do some pretty amazing stuff like raise oceans, level mountains, and turn flowing rivers into ice. Hey, it's *your* domain after all!

Not only that but there are these new spells called "domain spells" which are even more powerful than global magics. For instance, there is a Fire domain spell that does damage to your enemies when they are in your domain (every turn!), and a Life domain spell that heals your wounded troops every turn, etc.. There are counter-spells of course...

Heroes
-----------
Heroes are your captains, generals, spies, agents, etc. They are the ones you'll send out to lead your troops, lay siege, do quests, etc. while your wizard sits comfortably in his Tower within his domain.

Some heroes are able to cast combat spells beyond your domain borders but it doesn't appear that they will be able to cast global stuff. Not sure about unit enchantments and whatnot.

Although not mentioned in this particular preview I understand the heroes will be class-based now and not so open-ended. They will be restricted by some type of class "template" as to what skills they may train, etc..

Build Cities
----------------
Yes, you can now build new cities! You can upgrade them with new buildings too.

Although, it looks like the emphasis is on fewer cities but with more upgrades.

Dungeons
----------------
Lennart Sas says "They are going to be simplified. All the areas will be small above ground or underground maps--no exploration. All the exploration is done on the world map."

Hmm, not really clear on this but it would appear that these special locations are built "onto" the overland map itself, so you just explore them as you would the overland map. I think. I'll ask at the message boards and see if I can get an answer.

Deities and Quests
-----------------------------
There are 4 deities now and they may give you quests either through scripted events when you enter some area on the map or perhaps just randomly. It seems the quests are "themed" based on the deity's domain, be it Life, Death, etc..

You can build shrines to the various deities in your towns.

Larger Units
-------------------
Easier to see, less strain on the eyes, better detail.

Tactical Maps
----------------------
They've been shrunk (good!). The action will begin immediately and there will apparently be no more "standoffs", waiting for the other guy to make the first move and get close enough for you to attack.

Walls and Siege
--------------------------
Only siege engines (and units with special sieging abilities like the Giant) can still "counter" walls but ANY unit will be able to knock down gates in AoW2. It will take longer and defenders will get free shots but it can be done.

Miscellaneous
-----------------------
- 3D terrain
- Hardware accelerated particle effects
- Streamlined interface
- Random map generator
- New units, spells, heroes, etc.

I am really looking forward to this title. I love the original (still play it) and with the release of the LOTR movie I've been checking out all the LOTR-inspired maps created by fans, some of which are excellent.

I love the RPG feel of AoW and the Tolkien-esque artwork adds a true "fantasy" feel and mood that no other fantasy strategy game has provided.

FYI, this issue (February) of Computer Games also has previews of HOMM 4, Warlords 4, Disciples 2, Age of Mythology, Warlords Battlecry 2, and Warcraft 3. It's gonna be a good year for turn-based fantasy strat fans.

Paul

GuildBoss - Guild and Clan Management Utility
www.guildboss.com
posted 01-10-02 04:23 PM EDT (US)     11 / 25  
Rest assured I went over the article with a fine-toothed comb and put every bit of "new" information out. If you are fairly new to the forum, there may be some things that I did not include since they were covered well in previous posts, though GuildBoss (welcome back, by the way) covered most of those.

I don't want to cross over any copyright "lines-in-the-sand", but if someone can give me an acceptable way to send them a copy of the article, I would gladly do so. (Coincidentally, my email is kjnelson@radiks.net....)

Btw, "Julie" or another beautiful female elf graces the cover of the magazine (she doesn't look quite like the Julie we know from AoW, but close.)

Moebius

[This message has been edited by Moebius (edited 01-10-2002 @ 04:33 PM).]

posted 01-10-02 05:30 PM EDT (US)     12 / 25  
The new AOW 2 site says it's Julia
posted 01-10-02 07:40 PM EDT (US)     13 / 25  
Thanks, for the definitive explanations. It's about what I thought. I think this approach will certainly change the characteristic way AoW is played now, which is as they intended.

Leaders hunts will be greatly dimisnished both in multiplayer and single player. This also helps the ai. For the tactic of
neutering a faction by killing the leader, will be more difficult and dangerous to achieve.

posted 01-10-02 11:17 PM EDT (US)     14 / 25  
GuildBoss and Moebius,

Thanks for the info. It sounds like AoW II is going to be a smash hit. I can barely wait!

One quick question:

Quote:

Lennart Sas says "They are going to be simplified. All the areas will be small above ground or underground maps--no exploration. All the exploration is done on the world map."

What does he mean by "...areas will be small above ground..."? This part needs clarification. Lennart? Are you reading this??

posted 01-12-02 03:54 PM EDT (US)     15 / 25  
I Think Julia has grown up in more ways than one.........
posted 01-13-02 07:02 PM EDT (US)     16 / 25  
Who painted the cover of the Computer Games Feb Issue ?
posted 01-15-02 01:23 AM EDT (US)     17 / 25  
I just picked up the issue today. The preview is very informative. I am very happy with the screenshots also. AoW2 continues to look like a quality title. My excitement grows.

In one of the screenshots, shot 4 on page 38 I noticed a unit in the upper left hand corner that MUST be Jabba the Hutt. I'd like to know what or who it is.

-Chaos

P.S. Thanks Lennart and Co. for bringing back the Drow Executioner (screenshot 3 on pg 38).

This body... this body holding me... be my reminder here that I am not alone in...This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal all this pain is an illusion. - From Tool’s
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me... for me...FOR MEEEEEE!! - From Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody - Freddie Mercury
Insanity is but the price paid by mankind for his intellect. -Chaos Spawn Zone 666 The Abyss

[This message has been edited by Chaos Spawn (edited 01-15-2002 @ 01:26 AM).]

posted 01-15-02 03:09 AM EDT (US)     18 / 25  
Hmmm...I like the new changes! Among other things I noticed:

About the dungeons, I think they mean you won't have to waste time walking around and uncovering the map in a dungeon. I guess it will take you to a normal battle map set in the dungeon so you just kill the guards and take the treasure.

I bleieve they said they were making the races have more race related unit, am I correct? For example the Frostling Mammoth probably replaces the Yeti/Snow Queen/Nordic Glow, no more Halfing Centaurs, Elven Unicorns, Orcish Bats, etc. But some old units may be summonable, there is a pic of a spellbook and the Lizard Lurker is in it. And I think the Black Angel might not replace the Reaper, it says you need Death magic to summon it, it might replace the Black Dragon, or maybe you'll get both!

posted 01-16-02 02:13 AM EDT (US)     19 / 25  
I was just sitting here thinking when something funny occurred to me (happens on occasion)- Why is the Dark Elf Executioner riding a horse? I can't see much use for a steed in the underdark...I guess that's because I've never taken a horseback ride underground?

A giant lizard maybe, but DEFINITELY not a horse.

-Chaos

-Chaos

[This message has been edited by Chaos Spawn (edited 01-16-2002 @ 02:16 AM).]

posted 01-17-02 11:03 PM EDT (US)     20 / 25  
Rotpar, i think you're right on, and if you think about it, this could make those areas much harder than the old way of killing them a couple monsters at a time
posted 01-18-02 05:51 PM EDT (US)     21 / 25  
grrrr, i wanted to keep my heroes!!!
posted 01-19-02 09:05 PM EDT (US)     22 / 25  
The only thing that kept me from playing AOW for a long time was the fact they left out a random scenario generator. I hate making maps myself and playing the boxed maps get old after the hundredth time around. This game otherwise was a blast. I am excited about it and preordered it for 44.00 including priority shipping. I cannot wait till it comes out.
posted 01-20-02 08:16 AM EDT (US)     23 / 25  
Why don't heroes carry-over? That was one of the things I liked very much. Is it confirmed by one of the developers?
posted 01-20-02 01:19 PM EDT (US)     24 / 25  
There are loads of maps downloadable from the net, Undead Father

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 01-21-02 03:33 AM EDT (US)     25 / 25  
I like the idea of not exploring dungeons anymore, I find them boring. I hate stumblimg around in the dark so I leave it on fast combat and goto tactical if I don't like the outcome.
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies » AoW 2 Cover Story of Computer Games Magazine
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames