AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Give your impression
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 11-20-01 03:45 AM EDT (US)   
With all the information you have on AoW2 now, what is your general impression? What things are do you miss? What do you think will be the weak spots in the game? Will it rule?
Judging from the screenshots, do you thinnk it will sell?

Let me know

-- Wazzz--

Replies:
posted 11-20-01 04:16 AM EDT (US)     1 / 57  
I will be very interested to see what responses people make to your question, Wazzz, but I find it very difficult to tell how much I'm going to like a game until I actually play a demo

The fact that AoW is brilliant does not mean that I will like AoW2, and with AoW various things that were in the pre-release info of the game disappeared. That's probably why Josh is fairly circumspect when answering questions about the game, there's still plenty of time for things to change

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 11-20-01 05:02 AM EDT (US)     2 / 57  
AOW2 will rule.
posted 11-20-01 07:07 AM EDT (US)     3 / 57  
I most anxiously wait for a capable AI . Not asking for a genius, they dont have the budget of big blue, but if what they say is right, we can expect a fairly intelligent computer opponent.

Also the ability to develop new cities is a welcome addition, but only if the AI can do the same. It was (sorry I will be harsh) pathetic to see that the AI in AOW 1 was unable to reconstruct a razed structure.

posted 11-20-01 09:13 AM EDT (US)     4 / 57  
I am excited about what I see and hear for AoW2. I think the developers will do a better job learning from AoW than the guys who did the Civilization III disaster. Civ III is a disaster because no multiplay, no editor, worse interface than Civ II. You just can't go backwards in a follow up game. It seems the developers just ignored the loyal fans.

I don't think AoW2 will make that same mistake. Josh and Lennart have been very attentive to feedback. They were highly praised for coming out with patches for AoW on a timely basis and really addressing the critical issues. It looks to me like AoW2 will have better graphics, improved gameplay, and I think they see that giving us a strong editor will extend the life of the game. My fear is that they will hold stuff back for an expansion pack that they could have given us up front.

Regarding the pioneer, I really hope they put a toggle in that allows us to turn off city building if we don't want it for certain maps. You can be sure I will be among the first to get the game, I guess I really won't have a first impression until then. If we get a strong AI, it would be the first one ever in a strategy game. Don't hold your breath on that. Hopefully the computer cheats will allow for a good challenge at a variety of skill levels.

I remember one comment from Josh early on that promised better graphics for fast combat. Us pbem players are looking forward to that.

Damn, I just can't wait. It will be great.

posted 11-20-01 09:35 AM EDT (US)     5 / 57  
I tried AoW this August and ended up purchasing a copy this October. That will be the case with AoW 2 also. I will certainly download the demo as soon as it's released. And, if I like it, I will buy it within 2-3 months of test play. I like the current setup (the units, the races and the way city management is implemented) though.

I believe that I will be most excited about improved graphics, heavy use of events in the new system and the new engine. Won't count on the AI, however, because a new rule set will require much change in evaluation scheme that enables AI to make smart moves. I suppose we have to wait for AoW 2 patches to wise up the AI.

At any rate, I am looking forward to seeing the coming of AoW 2.

Bright was the moon and deep the night;
The stars twinkled, of great delight.
With wings of dream, I searched my soul
To know its truth and find my role.

By French Kisser, a chaser after and believer in true and ingenuous romance.

posted 11-20-01 05:00 PM EDT (US)     6 / 57  
I'm hoping for a more stable online MP experience, less emphasis on uber-heroes, less power to archers, a smarter FC, the random map generator withe more options (water teleporters!), better diplomacy options and units that are always useful sometime, somewhere (I mean, who builds Human Light cav on purpose?).
posted 11-21-01 04:50 AM EDT (US)     7 / 57  
I agree with Frogman that a smart AI is impossible to create and that cheats for the AI is better. I would however like to be able to customize the AI cheats a bit. I don´t know if you remember Fantasy General? There you could decide how "smart" the AI should be and how much money it should make. That basically meant you could have a smart AI with a low income or a smart AI with lots of income or...well...you get the picture! Anyhow, for AOW2 I´d suggest that you could have settings for AI "brightness", gold income, mana income and/or whatever other resources will be included in the game (no. of spell books perhaps!?).

ThEJeRk

My Hotmailaccount sometimes fills up. Please try this adress if that happens: aow2mail@yahoo.se

posted 11-21-01 08:23 AM EDT (US)     8 / 57  
However "smart" the AI is, I hope at least it will retain some memory of where it's been and what its seen, rather then simply reacting to what's currently visible. If nothing else that should reduce the annoying back-and-forth marches and let it get on with the game.
posted 11-21-01 10:27 AM EDT (US)     9 / 57  
Just make the AI omniscient. They don't even have to explore. I think that helps a lot. Or, make that an option for those who don't like the idea.

Further elaboration includes knowing your tight budget, limited reserve of mana, and everything you have access to.

Oh yes! This idea suddenly popped into my head. I suggest that some sort of spy system can be added into the game. That's very fun! Imagine, I can change my appearance (available as cosmic magic already) and go into the enemy's field and pretend that I am one of them. And, by moving into their city, I know everything about that city. Or, if I go into their "capital" (the notion of capital has to be defined here...), I learn everything about the nation's information.

For AI, this is simple. They don't need a spy system, for they know everything already. There might be some difficulty in defining how spies may be caught. In any case, just a suggestion off the top of my head.

[This message has been edited by FrenchKisser (edited 11-21-2001 @ 10:38 AM).]

posted 11-21-01 11:55 AM EDT (US)     10 / 57  
> Imagine, I can change my appearance (available as cosmic magic already) and go into the enemy's field and pretend that I am one of them. <

Yeah, right. And I'm not going to notice a unit that I didn't build, and that I can't control, moving around my empire without me telling it to? Maybe the AI is that dumb, but I doubt many human players are.

What I sugested though is simply the sort of simple "Hey, I ran into three indy wraiths down that tunnel last time. Probably shouldn't send another stack down there without enchant weapon" thinking that even the poorest human player will remember. And yes, I've watched the AI do exactly that, wasting three stacks (and 2 heros) before I finally took those three out [Icewind Dale(?)]. Mind you, made it easier for me to win that area, but what's the fun in that? A little memory, say allowing n turns to continue "seeing" a unit in the fog (but not any movement or changes), should not be hard to implement and certainly easier then a look-ahead predictive strategy.

But we don't need an omnisicient AI, although to be honest I suspect it already "sees through" explore mode. Many times I've watched it send units directly to some location it should not have been aware of when explore is turned on. But again, that is just what a human who's played the map before would be expected to do, so I accept that. I'd still want some Fog of War to be able to set traps or run bluffs, and sneak through holes just as I might against a human, otherwise the single player game is nothing but a slash fest.

posted 11-21-01 04:52 PM EDT (US)     11 / 57  
>Yeah, right. And I'm not going to notice a unit that I didn't build, and that I can't control, moving around my empire without me telling it to? Maybe the AI is that dumb, but I doubt many human players are.<

I was aware of the problem. But, an extra slinger/archer that listens to you most of time but moves at its will one out of say 5 times may not be that easy to catch. What if that little spy slinger always listens to you?! You probably will never notice, unless you keep an account of all units you produce every turn you play. In a big map where lots of units have to be managed, you may not be able to do so. Maybe you only have to keep an eye on those at the country border and make sure you don't have a too uniform mix of units. Else, an extra slinger will not necessarilt tell you which slinger is the spy. Of course, the spy has to be able to receive your command and decide whether or not he wants to obey.

>but what's the fun in that? A little memory, say allowing n turns to continue "seeing" a unit in the fog (but not any movement or changes), should not be hard to implement and certainly easier then a look-ahead predictive strategy.<

Even that is not too helpful to AI. A cheaper way (in terms of memeory consumption) can be to set a bit flag for each hex the AI just visited and the flag is on for N turns. All hexes flagged are deemed visible. Although AI can see your unit movement for a while, it knows that only for N turns. A human player can remember and can predict what you would do later. The AI is not too good at that and thus is allowed to see your movement for N turns.

In any case, I still like the idea of having a spy system, but I haven't figured out a scheme for it work seamlessly with the current setup.

posted 11-21-01 05:06 PM EDT (US)     12 / 57  
Oh yes. forgot that. I can even kill a slinger and put mine in to make the number exact. Of course, the little poor slinger to be replaced by mine is killed in secret. No battle event (not even any event) would be sent to you so that you know this has been done. Likewsie, you can even replace the entire troop if you're lucky. So, from now on, you can never allow front force to be too close to your king. The task has to be divided and each unit has to specialize to prevent spies from sneaking into the innermost area of your kingdom.

And yes, some magics should exist to improve and/or prevent this from happening. Hence, a mininal model for the spy system!

One extra note: you can only kill and replace level 1/2 units in secret. Anything above level 2/3 are trained better and won't be killed in secret. Heroes are level 4+, by the way. This is done to prevent certain disasters from happening.

Use concealment to make sure people don't see you merge into a force and disappear.

[This message has been edited by FrenchKisser (edited 11-21-2001 @ 05:20 PM).]

posted 11-21-01 05:30 PM EDT (US)     13 / 57  
My impression is that AoW2 will be a great game, but it will be a victim of a total lack of pre-publicity and will fall off the shelves due to poor sales.

Given that we are only about 6 months from E3/2002 and the AoW2 website hasn't been updated since E3/2001, I have to wonder if there is a marketing department at all.

I posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic asking who was interested in AoW2 and got about 5 responses (this news group is probably the most heavily traffic strat game forum in the world). Most people are unaware of or uninterested in AoW2.

Etherlords had a real nice website with good info before release, HOMM4 has a lot of info available, why does the AoW team think it is a good idea to play coy and tease us with drips of information?

I want to see cool expansion packs for AoW2 and eventually AoW3, but if AoW2 fails to sell then I doubt it will happen. The few loyal fans they have (that is us, hoss) can't buy enough copies to keep them going.

[This message has been edited by Alex Mars (edited 11-21-2001 @ 05:30 PM).]

posted 11-21-01 07:05 PM EDT (US)     14 / 57  
Sometimes the AI makes a beeline for concealed units that it shouldn't know are there because they're supposed to be invisible, but I don't mind that, as there are so many occasions when the AI is totally stupid. I know that an excellent AI is virtually impossible, but I still feel sure the new one will be better than the existing AI

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 11-27-01 07:21 PM EDT (US)     15 / 57  
Regarding your question if I would buy it. Like everyone else, it all depends on the final product. However, I do have somewhat of an oppinion (which can easily change mind you) that this game will indeed be good. Actually, it seems to have borrowed a few more elements of Master of Magic which is a good thing in my book (it was a good game after the patches).

I like the fact that they will be making changes to the spell system and even changing the units a bit (although some units I too will miss).

One thing that I trully hope that they will do and surprise me by doing is allow me to alter all the unit's attributes not just the heroes when using the world builder without having to rely on a mod-maker.

posted 11-28-01 11:29 AM EDT (US)     16 / 57  
Don't worry. PR has recently picked up. We have a website and some cool print features in the pipeline. (even flew over to a US mag... you'll see)
posted 11-29-01 01:38 PM EDT (US)     17 / 57  
Its simple..when the demo is released, I will download it. When the game hits the shelves of any nearby store, I will buy it.

I am really looking forward to the new tactical combat system. If this is coupled with decent multiplayer stability(if possible) I know this game will provide me with more then I expected from it.

As far as PR...I'm sure Lennart and the rest of the Triumph team have it all under control. If not, I am sure the AoW community won't mind writing some letters to gaming magazines, posting on websites about the game. If we got enough of a buzz going about the game it could get some feature spots in magazines.

But as I said, I am sure they have it all in hand and will have a nice website to go along with it.

Much thanks to the Triumph crew.

posted 11-30-01 03:47 PM EDT (US)     18 / 57  
I'll download the demo as soon as it is released.
I'll buy (import) the game as soon as it is released.

The hard job for the AOW2-crew is to get new players into the game. The old AOW-fans at this site are probably alreade convinced this game will rock.

But, there is one thing I'm worried about.... The graphics!
I really liked the tiny units in AOW, and I'm not sure larger units is only a good thing.
And I just don't know about that zoom-in/out feature.... So far no game I've seen has implemented that in a good way.

posted 11-30-01 04:35 PM EDT (US)     19 / 57  
My impression so far is quite positive.

While I hope that AoW2 sells quite well, I have to admit liking the small company atmosphere and the appearance and response we get from Josh, Len, and others when they have time.

It has been about 3 years since I bought a new computer game as soon as it was released. I usually wait six months to a year for the price to go down and patches to be released. AoW2 will be bought as soon as I see it. I've never played a demo for any game, but I'd imagine that I'll download the demo as well.

Though, as long as some magazine coverage is expected, I'd rather find the demo on a disk included with PC Gamer or CGW than downloading it.[hint hint]

posted 11-30-01 05:53 PM EDT (US)     20 / 57  
Im going to get AoW2 as soon as I find it.
Oh and how much will it cost?

Lord oƒ Maps
Download the latest Dark Lord Mod.

[This message has been edited by LordofMaps (edited 11-30-2001 @ 06:01 PM).]

posted 12-01-01 01:22 AM EDT (US)     21 / 57  
I don't agree with Frogman saying that CivIII went backwards from CivII. CivIII is so vastly better than CivII that I don't think I'll ever go back and play CivII...

But he has a point. There are numerous things about CivIII that I DON'T like, and I wish were like CivII. The same is true with Settlers3, even more so. I like Settlers3 much more than I like Settlers2, and I can't imagine going back. But when I compare how much fun Settlers2 was when I first got it, to how much fun S3 is... in the final judgement, it's much worse.

I guess it's all based on expectation. Everyone here LOVED AoW. And if everyone here says (months from now, when we actually play it) AoWII SUCKS!!! Well, does that really mean it does? If AoWII was released by a different company, under a different name (so that nobody knew it was the sequel), the people who would have said "AoWII SUCKS" might say "War of the Wizards is an awesome game, it's what AoW SHOULD have been!"

We all have expectations based on AoW. AoWII is not going to live up to most of them. Given everyone's suggestions (especially mine, since this is my post) what WE think AoWII SHOULD be would more accurately be called AoW Deluxe or AoW Gold. AoWII is a completely NEW game with elements of the former. That doesn't mean that AoWII isn't going to be a superior game. It probably will be, but the point is: will it be what us long-time AoW fans expected from a sequel?

Probably not. I say reserve judgement until you actually play it. So don't think of it as a sequel. Judge it as a stand alone game. My suspicion is that the less baggage you carry over from AoW, the more AoWII will blow your socks off.

posted 12-01-01 03:15 AM EDT (US)     22 / 57  
As I said AOW2 will rule -

letr me add a suggestion so that my comment can be a little more useful than that -

the Major question we all have (I suspect) regardst the effect of the Wizard idea on the gameplay - wehter will work the fact of being able to cast spells in every battle from a tower, wheter the immortality of the wizard will make a good challenge or if all those things will just change the gameplay in something fun for just one game and then very repetitive from that point on (the tower idea worries altough it looks good... will the goal game become a matter of building invincible towers everywhere? Make it REAL hard to build towers!!!)

My suggestion is simply to allow an option Wizard on wizard off, so that if that becomes repetitive we'll be able to go back to a "leader-off" version of the game as it is apllicable right now.

Best Wishes -

posted 12-01-01 08:25 AM EDT (US)     23 / 57  
Well black knight, you're not totally right.
If you're wizard is in the tower, sure, he can cast spells in a wide area, but NOT the whole map.
This makes for interesting choices, if an important battle is outside your 'domain' you can risk getting your wizard out of safety and bring him closer. But his range will decrease significantly, so it will take several turns to get to the site of the battle.
And yes, building a tower is quite expensive...

KOYAANISQATSI (From The Hopi Language)
1. Crazy Life. 2. Life In Turmoil.
3. Life Disintegrating. 4. Life Out Of Balance.
5. A State Of Life That Calls For Another Way Of Living.
6. Greatest Movie Ever Made.
posted 12-01-01 09:36 AM EDT (US)     24 / 57  
One crucial thing is not too clear to me:

Let's say I have three tower, When I am in tower number 1 will I be able to cast spells also in the area controlled by towers number 2 and 3? Because that will make the towers quite scary maybe too much...

Also (as I said in the past) beware of the teleport spell! it's a mighty power which supports players who decide to make a single super-stack which jumps everywhere in the map... In AOW1 that often kills the strategy, which should be made by manouvering one's armies!! Personally I would limit teleporting to ONE single unit and not whole stacks (In no Fantasy fiction, in fact, we have ever seen whole armies teleported everywhere!!)

But again I am sure you guys are fine tuning things well

[This message has been edited by Black Knight (edited 12-01-2001 @ 09:49 AM).]

posted 12-01-01 09:50 AM EDT (US)     25 / 57  
BK, I have already asked that question, the answer was yes.

Kris

posted 12-01-01 09:59 AM EDT (US)     26 / 57  
Alright, it's a matter of fine tuning then... (cost of the towers turns needed to make it actual range etc...)

Still I hope they will take care of the teleporting spell. being able to have a super stack everywhere is something that sometimes really spoils the variety of the game, especially in single player games, where the AI is not able to cope with that.

And "variety" in a game like this means longevity...

Maybe just the fact of having to actually build the gate would help...

(PS will it be possible to just raze a tower without razing the whole city? In some games it's possible to scrap buildings for cash... That could offer an interesting tactics to player who don't have much mana and can't use the towers anyway.)

[This message has been edited by Black Knight (edited 12-01-2001 @ 10:38 AM).]

posted 12-01-01 12:15 PM EDT (US)     27 / 57  
Warlock solved that problem by making the spell cost 150 mana, instead of the usual 50 mana

posted 12-01-01 02:06 PM EDT (US)     28 / 57  
I have an overall favorable impression, and am looking forward to the game.

Personally, I will miss the azracs. They were an unusual idea for a race, and even though perhaps they didn't have the best mix of units, I would take them over the lizards any day, and the solution to that problem is to just give them a better balance of armies. Cat people seem less original and interesting to me... I am more interested, in general, in a race that seems made up (even if you can see resonances with the Fremen or the Aiel).

I am not sure how the wizard thing will play out, and I certainly hope not everyone has a wizard named Merlin...

It will also be interesting to see how the pioneer wagon thing works.

I'm also not sure whether it will sell. The computer game market is so unpredictable.

I like the look of the screenshots, and it looks pretty. To my mind, story is waaay more important than graphics though, and ease of use is even more important.

I really hope every effort will be made to make the interface easy and intuitive. I once bought a game called The Elder Scrolls, which had been raved and raved about, but soon stopped playing when I found out that I had to use a mouse to swing my sword. I won't be able to tell how easy it is to play until I try the demo, but if it's along the lines of AoW (which works well, aside from a little bit of clunkiness), it should be good.

posted 12-02-01 01:52 AM EDT (US)     29 / 57  
Roger:

150 Mana could be a solution... Still I don't thing stacks should be able to be teleported... Just the wizard should, and maybe high level magic caster heroes ...but ALONE!

[This message has been edited by Black Knight (edited 12-02-2001 @ 01:54 AM).]

posted 12-03-01 02:35 PM EDT (US)     30 / 57  
Well, basically, it's like this for me:

First, I'm tracking MOO3 on their forum, occasionally checking in to this forum and WoW forum too. MOO3 should be out around March 2002. After a few months of MOO3, AoW2 comes out, so I'll be interested in it now somewhat (anticipation) and when it comes out. Later (2002 maybe) WoW comes out. Unfortunately, since MOO3 comes out sooner, I'm mostly looking at it right now, while trying to find time to keep up with the other two (forums) occasionally.

I never played AoW1 very much, but I really liked it. My computer at that time didn't support it very well. Now I play it single-player once and a while, since I feel I could not compete with existing players, plus the time needed to get into the game. (I'm still figuring out the advantages of each magic realm!)

I'm looking forward to playing AoW2, but this is just a long way to say there's a lot of other turn-based strategy games competing for my time/money. I'm just glad AoW2 won't be released at the same time as these others!! Then I'd have to choose one, and I don't know which I'd choose!

Hope that helps answer your question.

posted 12-04-01 06:43 AM EDT (US)     31 / 57  
Hi, I’m Lilly from Cologne (Germany)

I’m watching this forum since AoW2 was announced.
When I read about upcoming AoW1 in german mag Gamestar in 1998(?), I couldn’t wait for it. I played the Demo nearly 30 times and looked forward for the European releases because it reminds me of my beloved MoM. Now after playing so many scenarios (btw: thanks to all the mapmakers and Warlock) its still my favourite game.
Unfortunately I think AoW wasn’t very popular in Germany, although games like Warlords or HoMM3 sell well. I feared, AoW2 will suffer the same destiny until …

yesterday!!!

On the box of Etherlords glues a rather big sticker reading:

“Etherlords could be a keen competition to HoMM4 and AGE OF WONDERS 2(!!!)”

WOW, although I don’t read any article about AoW2 in a german magazin so far, I was very encouraged to hear about someone else has recognized this amazing game.

Looking on the screenshots and the announced features I love The Wizards Throne by now and will buy it as soon as possible.

posted 12-04-01 06:53 AM EDT (US)     32 / 57  
That's the spirit!

KOYAANISQATSI (From The Hopi Language)
1. Crazy Life. 2. Life In Turmoil.
3. Life Disintegrating. 4. Life Out Of Balance.
5. A State Of Life That Calls For Another Way Of Living.
6. Greatest Movie Ever Made.
posted 12-04-01 08:19 AM EDT (US)     33 / 57  
Etherlords is already in the shops in germany?
*cries*

Narf!
Kham award for first post with an ounce of intelligence.
"Enough chit chat. Let's go to battle men."
Wu Su Zheng award "Worst Staff Member Ever"
posted 12-04-01 05:07 PM EDT (US)     34 / 57  
Well, hmm, my relationship with AoW is complex at best. I followed the development of the game quite some time before it was released and was at first pretty excited about the game. However, a number of issues made my interest in the game fade - the severely lacking AI most of all, but also the fact that cities could basically do nothing but produce armies. Of course, some features never made it into AoW either, which was kind of a disappointment at the time.

Now, I occasionally still do play AoW, as it is not really a bad game (furthermore, it's a Fantasy TBS and those don't grow on trees) - my expectations were simply out of proportion, I guess. However, I have some hopes that AoW 2 will indeed address some of the issues that bothered me in AoW, so I'll most definitely check out the demo when it is released. So far, things are looking pretty good.

Oh, and by the way:

TalonThorn: What's WoW?

Cheers!
Calanor

posted 12-04-01 06:46 PM EDT (US)     35 / 57  
I first discovered AoW1 from the demo (I was doing some freelance reviewing for playtesters.com at the time). Only two demos ever so thoroughly sold me on a product; that one and the demo for Space Empires IV. I subsequently bought AoW1 and bugged my friends into doing the same.

My own opinion on AoW2 will similarly be a product of the demo. Certainly many of the anticipated features of AoW2 intrigue me; the gods of the magic spheres, the combat tweaks that were mentioned in earlier threads, new races are always good... but AoW1 was not really about the solo campaign mode, I think many people played it mostly for multiplay or for the maps.

Playing as Merlin doesn't intrigue me, but there sounds like plenty of meat for maps and multi-play, just make sure that the editor is robust and that all the features (like the gods) factor into these other play modes, and we hardcore TBS-heads should be happy. As for the unwashed masses, who can say?

Reality is for people who lack imagination.
posted 12-04-01 11:57 PM EDT (US)     36 / 57  
WoW = World of Warcraft, an upcoming MMORG which looks to be much better than the current generation of such games. They actually want the game to be "fun." Imagine that!
posted 12-05-01 07:32 PM EDT (US)     37 / 57  
Oh, Blizz.. *hmm*
posted 12-06-01 04:40 PM EDT (US)     38 / 57  
Quote:
What do you think will be the weak spots in the game

Well, i can't tell you the weak spots in AoW II just yet, but a major one in AoW is the Multi-play. On-line multi-player is completely unstable. Now i know threw all the complants and many tries by josh ( and probaly others) to fix this problem, they could never find one thing that was causeing it. SO i am hopeing that the multi player system is completly new and revampted for AoW II. Not to mention tha many suggestions on how to make MP play better ( well the good ones atlest) And more focuse on MP play of AoW II would make this game a maga- Hit

Every human being deserves a say in the decisions that affect their lives and not be subject to the will of another.

posted 12-07-01 06:03 AM EDT (US)     39 / 57  
Well, my general impression is that i will buy it anyway - I dont have to know beforehand if it is good, simply because AoW is the best TBS game i ever played.

The only thing that sucks is that I only discovered it late and by chance surfing through internet reviews of games.
Hope it will get noticed in Germany next time....

While online-MP is too instable now, the main advantage of PBEM is that you can play at your own pace and time. Because of work and family I wont have time very often to play online and for more than an hour.
So I really hope that PBEM is adopted as the 2nd important feature of Multiplayer options. Like Chess its a real classic because you battle other human brains rather than the AI - which will always be beaten.

[This message has been edited by waterfly (edited 12-07-2001 @ 06:05 AM).]

posted 12-08-01 04:11 PM EDT (US)     40 / 57  
My impression of AoW2 based on everything I know to date is very favorable toward my purchase of the game. My expectations are very high. I do not doubt hours of gameplay, and editing are in my future. I do doubt however, that my purchase of the game depends on a demo. I am likely to run out and buy it as soon as it hits the shelves. I feel that Triumph has a great track record, and like other fans of the game, I am pleased with the level of interaction, response and communication with the gaming community that the developers display on a consistant basis. This thread is just one and the most obvious example of that.

I just wish the target date was for a less pleasant season (December/January perhaps), I hate to think of all the sunny days I am likely to miss out on next spring/summer.

-Chaos

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2 Gameplay Help & Strategies » Give your impression
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames