You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: What's your favorite strategy?
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 08-29-02 01:13 PM EDT (US)   
Mine isn't really a strategy, but it's loads of fun anyway. I like to take a Air Galley, cast Haste on it, and then put 2 Cavaliers, 2 Priests, and 3 Musketeers in it. Then I have a quick, powerful support group of units that can get to wherever I need them fast. I usually use groups like that to strengthen the stacks of other race's units when they attack big enemy forces. Blindingly obvious but a fun strategy anyway.
Replies:
posted 08-29-02 01:42 PM EDT (US)     1 / 109  
My strategy is to be better than others. It has worked superbly for many years now.

- All you need is love -

The Wizards of Creation

posted 08-29-02 02:57 PM EDT (US)     2 / 109  
Don't think she's joking, either!
posted 08-29-02 03:09 PM EDT (US)     3 / 109  
I like to use a hasted Air Galley sporting Elven Clerics and either Nymphs, High Men Saints, Satyrs, or Human Charletains. Then I go around the map seducing/charming until I have an army of heroes!
posted 09-01-02 02:37 AM EDT (US)     4 / 109  
I typically play a very hero-centered game, but I've been trying to improve that for sometime now. I like to move heroes around in pairs, building one up as a melee monster, the other as a spell caster, but tough enough to get XP.

I used to never buy cities, but I've begun discovering the value of purchasing cities if the situation is right.

posted 09-02-02 05:25 PM EDT (US)     5 / 109  
Me? I will never tell anyone.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall. ~Confucius
Email at: Tekkaman_Zero@hotmail.com 124881677
posted 09-02-02 07:27 PM EDT (US)     6 / 109  
If you can get enough mana, a stack of 7 hasted Karaghs backed up and carried by a hasted Air Galley (anti-air) are lots of fun against those pesky independent stacks that wander around stealing and razing my power nodes, so there's an army of independent syrons wandering around. Thank God walls can only be breached by siege weapons in the original.
posted 09-02-02 07:45 PM EDT (US)     7 / 109  
One word: artillery.

I will have airships full of cannons, catapaults, and ballista following my armies so that the artillery doesn't slow down the army. When I take a city I stand off and blow it to bits first, destroying long sections of wall and any enemy units I can target.

posted 09-26-02 04:45 AM EDT (US)     8 / 109  
Wait for the enemy to come in your range, if they don't move step your weakest unit forward as a bait.
Then cast a spell and close combat.
A undead wraith is grait against non magical units...
so is an incarnate if your playing evil.
On the good side, a leapruchan is great for exploring because you can't see him.
posted 09-26-02 06:47 AM EDT (US)     9 / 109  
Artillery aren't always the be-all end-all. Suppose defending the city is my 7 stack of Hasted Karaghs? Those guys could actually attack you on their first turn if they're in an adjacent world hex. Goblins are great fun.
posted 09-26-02 07:11 AM EDT (US)     10 / 109  
My Overall strategy consists of a lots of little packages that can be replaced just as needed.

So for example:
I like stacks of Giants
I like Heroes with def10 and res10
I like Waterwalking Dwarfen Firstborns as Ship-Barrier...
I like Windwalking Heroes
I like Hit&Run tactics with dwarves/Lizards/Flying Units when you take Nodes, Watchtowers, Altars etc and go back to Mountains/Water, so no nonflying Unit can't reach you.
I like Altars when I'm playing maps where I have several thousand Mana Points stacked up
I like Air Galleys
I like Incarnates/Undead Wraits/Air Elemental

So my overall strategy depends very much on the map, terrain, enemy Units, Races (my own, enemy, others) and relations etc

Walky

posted 10-09-02 02:44 PM EDT (US)     11 / 109  
Emperor Bone

Would you really camp your 7 stack of hasted Karaghs in a city?
Or wouldn't they instead be running all over the map wreaking havok?

Chazz

posted 10-13-02 04:32 AM EDT (US)     12 / 109  
My strategy (works best in maps with a lot of size 4 cities and space, like Oracle's Eye) is be the Undead, build Wraiths, cast tranquility (yes, it sounds wierd, a life wizard and being the Undead) and go around, in stacks of 1, conquering cities and churning out armies of giants, incarnates, warlords, etc. to blow the bits out of enemy leaders one by one. I hate it when they aren't able to build enough defence before I kill them, though.

PS: Wraiths are great with haste and wind walking, run around getting all the independent cities. Once, with 5 wind walking hasted wraiths I mananged to get a gold income of 750/turn from all my independent cities.

Note: Wraiths should be tuned down. They are way too good, and level 3 as well.

posted 10-13-02 04:47 AM EDT (US)     13 / 109  
Wraiths are useful, but not too good. And your tactic propably works well against AI, but I doubt it's so effective against human players.

Feel free to prove me wrong.

- All you need is love -

The Wizards of Creation

posted 10-13-02 01:05 PM EDT (US)     14 / 109  
Well, they work against any player not prepared to deal with Physical Immunity.

Whenever I see things with Physical Immunity (or anything with the other immunity - flight with ranged attacks), I build units to compensate.

posted 10-13-02 07:21 PM EDT (US)     15 / 109  

Quote:

Would you really camp your 7 stack of hasted Karaghs in a city?
Or wouldn't they instead be running all over the map wreaking havok?

I wouldn't have to camp them. They are fast enough to return to the city on the appropriate turn, and I wouldn't move them too far away to do so in any case. Unsupported raiders can get surrounded and killed pretty quick, because if your enemy has any brains at all they'll hunt the raiders with units that have invisibility, flying, physical immunity, etc.

The problem with my 7 stack of hasted Karaghs technique is that it's ineffective against air units with ranged attacks. By the time you can build up enough gold and mana to create seven Karaghs and haste them all, your opponents will have equally powerful forces, if they aren't AI.

posted 10-14-02 09:12 PM EDT (US)     16 / 109  
I find that boats can be very useful in defending a large area where there is a river. Do not underestimate the use of boats to make an area much more defendable.
(of course, none of the maps I play on have lizards)

Runfirst.

posted 10-16-02 02:42 PM EDT (US)     17 / 109  
The only strategy mentioned so far that's worth a crap is Beren's for putting seducing/charming units in an air galley.

I could tell you my strategy, but then I'd have to kill you. I leave it to those who have played me before to see if they can guess it.

posted 10-16-02 03:01 PM EDT (US)     18 / 109  
You never change.

I can't really write all my strategies here, as there are just too many for every situation, I'm not even sure I could if I'd try...heh...I'm not that good with words, but generally, just do everything faster than your enemies.
Against good players, you just can't give them time to build and expand. It's actually very simple to win, if you know what you need to do.

- All you need is love -

The Wizards of Creation

posted 10-16-02 03:42 PM EDT (US)     19 / 109  
Yep, I'm too old to change. The only time we got in a game together Queen, you definately got me with the quick strike. Sure different games and different opponents require different strategies, but I have some tried and true tactics that I tend to rely on. Of course anything works against the ai.

Against tough human opponents, you almost always need the element of surprise. While running around with stacks of level 4 units is obviously tough to stop, chances are that if your opponent is still in the game, they have stacks of level 4s too. Its really not much of a strategy. The real strategy comes from figuring out what your opponent has and how to either lay a trap, or spring a surprise that will allow you to have the upper hand in the big battles or pick off key units they thought were safe.

posted 10-16-02 05:56 PM EDT (US)     20 / 109  
Some favourites:

* Get some incarnates and possess a bunch of ai heroes, or animated or called heroes. 7 heroes with different abilities in an air galley (preferably hasted) is nice once you beefed them up.

* Sneak in a unit behind enemy lines, capture a city, towngate in the heavy artillery, capture or destroy his weak defended homeland.

* Hunting with bait is always fun. Sometimes it's even worth sacrificing a weaker hero to tempt your enemy to move his main heroes within range of your striking force.

Ofcourse there aren't one ultimate strategy that always works. Problem is to figure out which one is the right to use at the moment. Just do the unexpected For example: Explore the spells you always thought was not very useful. I've had very good use for spells like Level terrain and Tornado in a couple of games... Most people don't expect you to run in with your forces where mountains recently stood or to get their great herostack split up by a tornado

[This message has been edited by Eriksson (edited 10-16-2002 @ 06:05 PM).]

posted 10-16-02 09:32 PM EDT (US)     21 / 109  

Quote:

* Get some incarnates and possess a bunch of ai heroes, or animated or called heroes. 7 heroes with different abilities in an air galley (preferably hasted) is nice once you beefed them up.

As a fan of cavalry, if I am playing evil I will use Incarnates to "recruit" paladins so I can have healers that move at mounted speed. I really like to grab experienced enemy heroes with incarnates, also.

posted 10-17-02 09:12 AM EDT (US)     22 / 109  
Good ones Eriksson, I don't think I've ever used tornado or level terrain or had it used on me. It sure would be a surprise. Animate ruins is a nice spell to complement town gate. Takes two heroes of course but it can surprise people as well.

For an end game against tough human opponents, town gate is by far the most powerful spell. It just gives you too much surprise ability. When desperate, warp party has saved me a few times. The problem with it is that it can surprise you as well. Warp in a boat though and you will always end up in water and you can count on the extra movement points of the boat to get you somewhere.

posted 10-18-02 03:44 AM EDT (US)     23 / 109  
That's interesting about warp. I've always been frightened of it - a bit like warping in asteroids, you might find a big one right up your..... It does seem to be quite friendly though, not putting your units in an area where they can't go. Perhaps I'll do some tests, unless anyone has the definitive answer?

BTW - we are talking tactics here, not strategy. Some good, some funny, some quirky, but tactics. Strategy is of a higher level like, "expand in (this way) in (these) directions, aiming to produce (these) units at (these) points in time, whilst countering the liklihood of meeting (these) types of units in (these) areas".

posted 10-18-02 03:04 PM EDT (US)     24 / 109  
Good point about tactics vs strategy. Still, the knowledge of good tactics leads you to develop strategies that can exploit them.

I'm like Draco, very hero centered. As long as I have a hero, I'm in the game. My strategies usually revolve around hero development and getting a good fast moving killer stack to go with him.

posted 10-20-02 09:24 AM EDT (US)     25 / 109  

Quote:

Hunting with bait is always fun. Sometimes it's even worth sacrificing a weaker hero to tempt your enemy to move his main heroes within range of your striking force.

Why not just cast Cosmagic Surgery? Lot cheaper and works all the same...

Walky

posted 10-21-02 08:44 AM EDT (US)     26 / 109  
I don't think anyone would disagree with Frogman's hero-centred strategy as the best way to win in AOW campaign or pbem (no comment on online as I don't do it). I follow this approach and get quite smug when my uberhero struts around blatting AI opponents. It's even better when you meet your pbem opponents hero and triumph because you have levelled up faster. But when the tables are turned, my view changes somewhat to how AOW is seriously flawed in letting such uberheros unbalance the game.

Actually, a Legends Of Hectoraze game I am in is testing this strategy to the extreme. On the one hand, we have 3 highmen uberheros and very little else, on the other hand we have huge tracts of land , gold and mana to burn, cites upgraded everywhere, numerous red dragons, ice drakes, air galleys, etc. etc. But it looks like the heros are invincible. We shall see!

posted 09-03-03 07:23 PM EDT (US)     27 / 109  
It seems like lots of people like building ultimate-heroes...and I sometimes do that, but I find that playing it like a TBRPG isn't as fun as playing it as a TBS...but I'll usually use one or two heroes, but I won't focus on making them my main attack force...they'll usually just accompany parties for spellcasting and the such...
posted 09-06-03 03:14 PM EDT (US)     28 / 109  
I concur that the "Uber-Hero Strategy" is the best thing around. I mainly play the campaigns and it gets nasty. I think the big thing is that heroes are almost always going to be better than your L4 creatures once you get them to level ten or so. In the campaign this is especially huge since you don't have to pay for them and they come with you. Anyway, I think a good answer would be to make getting higher level units much faster. -1 turn to build on everything, 2 turn upgrades, and 1 turn installs for L2s and L3s (2 turn installs for L4s). That will really cut into your super heroes because if I can afford to sacrifice L4 units I'll be sending stacks of Karaghs after a hero very quickly and no big if they don't do it...the next one will be right behind them. (Gets off his soapbox)

As for my gameplay strategy it is as follows:

1.) Explore quickly emphasizing towers and cheap resources(unprotected mines/builder's guilds/mana nodes). Best to use flyers if you have them to start (always keep flyers with you in the campaign) or your fastest availible unit that isn't your hero (Azrac elephant is great b/c it can capture other player's towers).

2.) While exploring send your "hero stack" (mult. heroes if availible or your leader and a calvary unit or two) out to collect treasures/xp. During this time it is okay for your hero to capture some cities and wait for them to migrate since you'll need the gold and your explorers should be doing their thing.

3.) Once your explorer finds the heart of your opponents land, send them into his undefended heartlands to snipe resources as you powerrush your spelled up hero stack (waterwalking/liquid form/free movement/windwalking is a must have) straigt at the enemy leader....one less...one less...one less ***** ya gotta worry about! I did this in the final scenario of the cult campaign and had defeated Gabirel and Joseph by turn 11. The Undead were already sniped on turn 9 when a couple air galleys went to town on Inioch. I was so bored with slaughtering the independents that I finally just did the freemove cheat to move my hero stack up to Julia and seal the deal.

In many of the middle campaign scenarios there is an enemy leader very close to your starting location. If you have flyers you can have a massive portion of the map explored by the time you reach turn 5. That is normally when I would knock out the nearest leader. Of course, I am normally playing against the AI who sends its forces out en masse at the start and leaves its hero holding the bag at home. Those neutral wandering stacks will hurt you for a bit, but more experience for your hero!

Something else I've noticed about the AI is that if you move a threat up into it's heartland it will normally switch modes as it were. This is another reason I strongly recommend flyers. I've flown a wyvern rider right past an enemy leader's town on the other side of the map and found that the leader started to mass his forces in his home city like it is so prone to do in the endgame. This helps a bit if you are encountering his scouts in your lands, and might well ensure that you won't have to worry much about his forces for the rest of the game. Although this only happened noticably once.

Sorry for the length of this post.

Feyd Rautha, Stormlord Extraordinaire

posted 09-08-03 00:21 AM EDT (US)     29 / 109  
I've always disliked the Uber Hero Strategy unless I'm playing against a human opponent. Its just not challenging. What I find fun is to level up my heroes with what I perceive to be the most useless abilities and see if I can make them work! I also never use tactical combat! Again it is too easy to abuse the AI. It is funner to play the AI on its own terms in fast combat. You feel more like a general commanding the overall troop deployment, but it is up to the soldiers to fight the battle. If you have moved the right troops in you win, if not you lose.

As an overall game strategy, I like to fan out scouts early and find as many friendly towns as I can. I rarely bring my Gold below 250 unless I can quickly get it back. As soon as I have a three hex city I upgrade it. If I have more than one, then I pick the city with flyers. Once I have flyers built I send them out scouting further keeping to terrain which is safe for them. Flyers are generally cheap to produce and can occupy and hold cities for migrating. My next step is to generate large wall crushers, Giants, Dwarven bombadiers, Earth Elementals, Goblin Beatles, et cetera.

I always keep good relations with humans because the last phase of my stategy is to produce Air Galleys. If I've messed my relations or if Human 4 hex cities are not available, then I produce Dragons. Any Dragon is a good Dragon.

While all that goes on I try to use all my avaiable mana for research. I like to make Elementals as early as I can in a game, or summon Dragons! Once I've researched or bought a spell giving ne a fourth level summon I switch all my mana away from research, at this point I just set back and summon beasties!

[This message has been edited by Arctic Wolf (edited 09-08-2003 @ 00:24 AM).]

posted 09-08-03 09:20 AM EDT (US)     30 / 109  
My strategy is quite complexe:
I look for positions that can easily be defended.
For example a bridge, a road through mountains or
a cave opening.
At such a place I gather some troups, especially
if there's an enemy located somewhere near.

I also try to scout out the area so that I can see
where I have to fear attacks and where nobody won't
attack me, so I can regroup my troups.

I don't really play with much units -
I build only some task forces and wander through
the area, fighting back the enemy.
The special places mentioned above are very
important "way-points" for me, where I take
a rest and can think about my further attacks.

Normally this is nice, but when an opponent
strikes back on a place, I didn't suppose
heavy problems occur ...

[This message has been edited by Drachentoeter (edited 09-08-2003 @ 09:23 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies » What's your favorite strategy?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames